Was his father supposed to represent God?

Was his father supposed to represent God?

No, he was just a part of his dream

I took the dream to be about death and growing old.

wait, was that who rust was shooting at the whole time?

Yeah, I think so. The afterlife, at least.
You get the reference to Sailing to Byzantium, right?

>fixing a fire up ahead in all that dark and all that cold
>i'd knew he'd be there
Yeah, it's about maintaining faith in a seemingly chaotic and uncaring world

It's meant to symbolize the Coen bros desire to write something that is actually profound or insightful instead of merely pretending to be.

anton tougt he wuz da big bad man but da world is chaos man it too crazy you see this when arbitrr of death gets stopped by a randum car it is truly no country for old men

FUCK YOUUUU

Why do so many people focus on this particular scene? This felt more like a tommy lee Jones cameo, nothing that beard too much importance on the film's plot

Because the film is about the Sheriff coming to terms with life and death and still finding hope. Everything that comes before is a build up to this scene. It reedems the film's nihilism.

No, it was just a dream. That's why the movie ends with "and then I woke up". If you find any optimism in this movie then you're weak and you're missing the point. It's so nihilistic. Great movie.

The scene can be read both ways.

This. This movie is so nihilistic. He was having this terrifying nightmare where he was alone in the cold darkness and his only hope was in the idea of his dead father waiting for him. Then he had to wake up to his nice life where he never crossed paths directly with Chigurh and got to retire and spend the rest of his life with his wife. That's so depressing. How will he cope with all that nihilism? Can you imagine being optimistic having to live like that?

>
The movie is basically an inverse of the pulp fiction story. Moss and Butch represent the weak, who are being chased by the "tyranny of evil men," Chigurh and Vincent Vega, respectively. Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L Jackson are the shepherd, who see the events unfolding around them and reflect on their experience. Jules has an epiphany in the diner and decides to quit his job as a hitman. Vega does not seek redemption and incurs the wrath of god, ultimately being slain by Butch with his own weapon.
Moss is not so fortunate in his journey. He runs off with the briefcase and is chased by Chigurh, who summarily tracks him down and executes him. The sheriff has an epiphany and decides to quit his job (just as Jules did), only his faith is left a little more shaken, finding solace in the memory of his deceased father.

>This movie is so nihilistic

It's more absurdist than nihilistic.

Sheriff Bell is secretly the protagonist of No Country For Old Men.

Yes. The guy who wrote it was a pseudo-gnostic

This thread is just goddamned beyond everything.

How to fix No Country for Old Men

>instead of dyng off screen, Moss gets into a 15 minute bloody shoot-off with Chigurh
>It has explosions, machine guns, and a car chase
>Shoot off ends with a hand-to-hand fight scene with Moss and Chigurh at a meat packing plant
>Chigurh dies by falling in a giant meat grinder
>before Chigurh falls in, Moss says "It's time to MEAT your maker, bitch!"
>Moss runs away with his bitch and lives happier after ever
>No ending scene with the sheriff with his nonsensical pretentious dream

good bait

if they ever make a blood meridian movie it's going to be closer to this

Have the Coens ever explained why there's virtually no music in the movie? I feel like they were challenging themselves to create a film full of tension without the aid of a soundtrack.

The only two guys who got the film ITT

jews hate scores

>Skip Lievsay, the sound editor who has worked with the Coen brothers since their first feature, called No Country “quite a remarkable experiment” from a sonic standpoint. “Suspense thrillers in Hollywood are traditionally done almost entirely with music,” he said. “The idea here was to remove the safety net that lets the audience feel like they know what’s going to happen. I think it makes the movie much more suspenseful. You’re not guided by the score and so you lose that comfort zone.”
>Joel Coen credits his brother with the idea of minimizing the score. “I was skeptical at first,” he said, but when they watched their first rough cut, “It pretty much told us that we didn’t need any.”
>That decision was made with the help of Carter Burwell, the Coens’ regular composer, who has also been part of their stable since Blood Simple. “My first suggestion was that if there’s music, it should somehow emanate from the landscape,” Mr. Burwell said. He tried a few “abstract musical sounds, just the harmonics of a violin or some percussive sounds,” but found that even these small touches “destroyed the tension that came from the quiet.”

it didn't need music imo. i actually think a score would have weakened the film

I'd say it's more kierkegaardian than absurdist. They sheriff at the end is clearly making a leap of faith.

movie was so fucking boring, thought the payoff would be worth it and instead got some old guy babbling about a dream he had.

BASED
A
S
E
D

This. I can't believe this won over TWBB.

this, entirely. this movie is so compelling and so hard to stop watching. there's no distracting music. you're just drawn in because there's so much tension and you don't know what's going to happen... there's no music telling you to feel scared.

That's cool. Lots of filmmakers wouldn't even think about doing it.

second user is being ironic

Actually, the whole "no score or music to enhance the mood of the film" has been a meme in filmmaking for going on 30 years.

t. filmmaker

>lets have the character talk about a dream they had at the end to really drive the point home

Wow so deep. Almost like some metaphors in The Wire.

>30 yrs
>meme
That's not how it works, grandpa

>kierkegaardian

Go back to re-ddit. This has Lovecraft written all over it.

It just mean the pain of losing a father

My father got a stroke and I had to take care of him, and since then, i fear losing him a lot (even though he was almost dead from the stroke because it was the haemorrhagic one), and i sense that he doesn't understand that he can leave me soon and we will never met again

It's like sensing the doom of the end, that soon all will be gone and i will never be able to feel him again... Thing is, it's ending for me and him and that everybody life's will go on without problems at all

One feels wondering about what is after death more than what will happen in your life, and how shitty your life has become since reality hit hard