He can't be getting away with this

So I finally got to see the Orville. Now don't get me wrong, I fucking love this. This is the kind of Star Trek show I've been waiting for. But that does beg the question, how is mcFarlane getting away with this?

>b-but it's a spoof user

Yeah, right. I'm not falling for that one. Sure mcFarlane's akward "humor" is all over the show. But it's still way to much in the background. The setting, the characters and my god, the stories.

How is he not sued so far up the ass that he's sneezing subpoenas?

Because when major artists and studios do a parody they quietly negotiate a contract with the original property owner. In theory parody is protected speech, but an unsuccessful lawsuit can break a production away. So some arrangement is always made.

Weird Al explained how all this works.

away = anyway
I'm hung over

>beg the question
I don't think you're using that right.

Most people don't.

So he's basically paying cbs to not sue him?
I'm sure you're right, english is not my 1st language.

Chances are high.

The negotiation might have been for something other than money, though. Like a right for CBS to distribute some of his properties, or make their own parody of his works in the future, or anything else of IP value.

Just because it's a parody doesn't mean the relationship is adversarial.

I love it

>ywn never be a wealthy producer and pay off cbs to play Star Trek on tv

>So he's basically paying cbs to not sue him?
Fox is...err Disney is. He doesn't care.

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D

At least you get to live in the timeline where you enjoy his work I guess

You can always get yourself a $100 handycam and shoot little vids of you and your fiends playing star trek and put it on youtube and grow a channel and start getting paid for views because people will obsess over literally anything. It will be a long time before CBS actually notices you.

By then if your thing is actually interesting and unique they might even negotiate a royalty agreement. Then you'll be there, man. The bright lights. The big time.

Sure dude. Just like they did with Axanar.

My only real problem with it is that McFarlane should have chosen another actor for the lead.

It's what's called sufficiently different, sure, themes and aesthetics and stories are similar, but he's created Orville in such a way that it's just different enough from Star Trek to escape the legal shithammer.

I don't mind. I totally get him. If I got to play my magical realm on tv I would do the same.

basically this. He's popular so they don't sue him. If he was behind Axinar it would have been made

this. He isn't a good actor, he should have just stayed as a writer/producer and maybe have a background role. He is nothing like a starship captain

>he's created Orville in such a way that it's just different enough from Star Trek
I'm sure he got it worked out legally but, come on. This show is so TNG that it straightens it's uniform when standing up.

>star trek owners are choosing to pass on millions in a lawsuit because they like Seth so much
You know that sounds crazy right? Fox has a shit load of lawyers that review show and episodes before they are made. The people that are actually professionals in this matter made sure it was different enough.

I saw some interview on YouTube, or read some article somewhere where Seth stated that all scripts were completed and vetted by lawyers before filming ever began. In other words, he had a legal team go over the contents to make sure there was nothing for Paramount/CBS lawyers to get erect over.

So... you're saying the Paramount/CBS lawyers have done a poor job of protecting their clients franchise?

The Orville is the creation of Seth MacFarlane, not Gene Roddenberry. The Orville exists in an entirely different imaginary universe, with an entirely different imaginary space organization, operating an entirely different fleet of spaceships, powered by an entirely different engine design, featuring entirely different races of aliens than are found in Star Trek. The only thing The Orville has in common with Star Trek is that it is a futuristic space adventure series, and that is a concept that existed long before Star Trek. The Orville is actually better than Star Trek. The Orville is NOT Star Trek, and never will be. Get over it.

Or the Fox lawyers have done an excellent job protecting their own interests. Glass half empty or half full.

I like how you can just make shit up and a bunch of morons come along and parrot off the shit you make up until other morons just accept the shit you just made up as if it were actually true.

Except it's not a lawsuit they'd be sure to win, and it would cost both sides millions in legal fees regardless of the outcome. You'd take that gamble?

May it run for 7 seasons

If big companies could steal from each other and get away with it in the way you described don't you think it would be happening all the time?

The Orville owes a lot of its popularity to the stink of Star Trek: Discovery, a show that looks and feels more like a J.J. Abrams Trek movie than the beloved tv shows like The Original Series 1967-1969 and The Next Generation. If STD was competent and gave Star Trek fans what they wanted, people wouldn't care about The Orville

user. This show exists and nobody has sued anybody. You thinking that is absurd somehow doesn't change the fact that it exists.

It's a decent show, there's no mystery

All of you trektards are mentally ill.

>This is the kind of Star Trek show I've been waiting for.

I couldn't agree more, OP.

The humor seemed to start out pretty hard, then mellowed out and it became legit Star Trek universe right down to the moral dilemmas and everything.

How do they get away with it? The license holder for Star Trek doesn't employ Barry White's lawyers.

The Orville takes place in one of the parallel universes of Star Trek.

>owes a lot of its popularity to the stink of Star Trek: Discovery

No, it stands on its own. I watched every bit of The Orville before ever watching STD and I stayed WAY away from all their threads until both shows had finished and I marathoned them. Which I highly recommend doing for just about every show, so rev up those built-in Sup Forums post filters.

Come on guys. I really like this show too and I hope it gets many seasons but, really guys. It even has holdecks (simulators) for fucks sake!

I thought the show looked naff on first glance, but I chanced upon an episode while visiting family for Christmas and it was pretty good. It felt like a star trek episode straight out of the 90s, maximum cosy.

Corporations can copyright names, but not ideas.