His role was to show the plot in two Power Point presentations

>His role was to show the plot in two Power Point presentations

How can anyone defend this?

Quill should have snapped his neck in anger!

Then made friends with other heroes because Ego killed his mom!

Man of Steel was so fucking great

There were actions scenes in that movie

He was the sort of asshole rich father that would put on PowerPoint presentations to convince his estranged son to love him. Ego decided that space PowerPoint was the way to go.

What do you call the sprawling technicolor space brawl that fills the third act of guardians?

Waste of fucking time because all the action was offscreen while we saw characters quip.

>>His role was to show the plot in two Power Point presentations

In what universe was GOTG2 focused on plot? The entire narrative was focused on the character relationships.

The fuck are you even talking about?

You sound like that fat blonde on screenjunkies

Why would anyone anyone wants a good plot on a movie, right?

Better to play a sad song in the end and

>Movie has no plot and relies on quips and 80's references to distract from shitty story
>Marvelfags know that and still defend this anyway

>do you have any tape?

For 10 fucking minutes

>His role was to recap his own 30 minute prologue in a Power Point presentation
really activates my almonds

>Why would anyone anyone wants a good plot on a movie, right?

Sure, if the plot is written to be at the forefront.

The focus of the movie was very clearly the character interactions, the stakes for 90% of the movie are contained to the people in the movie interacting with each other and evolving/growing from them. This was very clearly the intent of the movie, Gunn didn't somehow write it this way by accident. That's why the movie split the cast in half and let the two parts do their own separate things, neither of which were connected to a rigid narrative.

I hate the way you faggots argue about storytelling. You take "plot wasn't the focus" to "THE WRITING IS BAD" because that's apparently the only thing that matters to you people. You're no better then CinemaSins. Lord knows how you watch horror and comedy films, because fuck knows plot is always the least important part of those movies except in special cases.

best joke in the movie

>If you kill me, you'll be just like everybody else!
>What's so wrong with that?

I liked that the climax of the film was a huge refutation to the special snowflake uniqueness MoS tried to peddle.

What the fuck are you on about? How does Star Lord, a former pirate turned lawful bounty hunter killing a clearly evil and unbelievably dangerous man he just met have any comparison to fucking Superman killing the only other kryptonian in existent

You realize you are arguing with jobless manchildren who continue telling themselves that they can still be better writers than all the (Incredibly) highly paid writers in Hollywood if only someone read their fanfiction. Ones who can only feel good about themselves if they nit-pick the shit out of a movie.

That made no sense.. How is tape gonna keep him from pressing the button? Tape it down? It's already pressed then.

>Sure, if the plot is written to be at the forefront.

Are you honestly trying to make me believe that the relations between the characters is more important than making the context (main plot) where said relationships is to define themselves? This is beyond stupid, especially when you take into consideration the fact that the movie version of GotG shit openly on the original iterations of the characters, who weren't all braindead retards or horny teenagers, hell I still can't forgive what they did to groot (a relatively silent but wise being in the comic, now a autistic Ent), Drax (an honorable warrior seeking honorable death now became a drooling, mouth breathing steroid abuser with the brain the size of a peanut) and well, pretty much every single characters.

Its a bad movie, point. Especially the second, it really felt like a kid movie where everyone is a walking stereotype (because god forbid we put real human relationship in their movie, they could get confused by them!) whose entire personality could be defined with a sentence at most.

>Are you honestly trying to make me believe that the relations between the characters is more important than making the context (main plot) where said relationships is to define themselves?

I'm saying ti depends on the movie and what its trying to focus on. GOTG2 very clearly didn't focus on plot.

>his is beyond stupid, especially when you take into consideration the fact that the movie version of GotG shit openly on the original iterations of the characters, who weren't all braindead retards or horny teenagers, hell I still can't forgive what they did to groot (a relatively silent but wise being in the comic, now a autistic Ent), Drax (an honorable warrior seeking honorable death now became a drooling, mouth breathing steroid abuser with the brain the size of a peanut) and well, pretty much every single characters.

None of this has to do with my statement. This is about the writing of the film on its own, not about how it works as a pure adaptation.

>Especially the second, it really felt like a kid movie where everyone is a walking stereotype (because god forbid we put real human relationship in their movie, they could get confused by them!) whose entire personality could be defined with a sentence at most.

The fuck are you even whining about at this point? Are you mad that a movie made by Disney has kids movie elements in it? Are you also mad that the sky is blue or that water is wet?

And by all means, tell me the kids movies that eschew standard narrative conventions of a MacGuiffin quest or a call to action to instead focus on people talking to each other and evolving from those interactions? The movie doesn't even have a viable threat until the third act and that's very clearly a deliberate choice.

>I don't actually read comics or pay attention to movies: the post

>I'm so much smarter than every scriptwriter!! Why won't anyone ever buy my scripts instead !!!

>Drax (an honorable warrior seeking honorable death now became a drooling, mouth breathing steroid abuser with the brain the size of a peanut)

So umm...you've never read the comics at all huh?

>"It's not SUPPOSED to have a story, you bigot!"

This is what passes as good writing nowadays, isn't it? Quips, JoJo-tier music references and more quips. Isn't it?

>They took the one note Thor Villain that only has a single line and made him stupid!
>Then took the superpowered retard and made him into a superpowered retard and not into my own fanfiction OC!!!!
>I hate everything Marvel! I never matched the picture I made in my imagination after skimming some wikipedia articles one afternoon!!!!!!! Raaughghghghghghghg

>implying story and plot are the same thing

The "story" is about Peter finally getting rid of his past family issues learns to be less of a cuntbag. The whole movie is about interacting with the family you have versus the family you make for yourself.

>This is what passes as good writing nowadays

Good luck watching any horror movie ever made. The good ones don't even focus on plot or story, they focus on atmosphere and theme. Your brain might explode over how "bad" the writing is.

It had a story though, several in fact. Peter confronting his daddy issues, Rocket and Yondu coming to terms with their past and future, and Gamora and Nebula learning to forgive one another. I don't care if you like it or not but there was a story.

Am I the only one that liked that Starlord didn't go all Darth Vader and had to be talked out of it by his friends? The fact that he still had his morality and etc was a nice touch.

A lesser movie would have had Starlord being evil as a huge plot point and had Gamora confess her love for him or something to bring him back.

It's worse considering he was a bad guy who behaved almost exactly like the original father from the comics and absolutely nothing like comics' Ego. So the change of characters was exclusively to make the dumb joke "Quill's mom got fugged by a planet LOL LMAO We so adult humor random quirky"

What a retarded movie this was

I really liked that the conflict was spurred by his mom but his friends still had to rescue him. The whole movie felt like a team affair, no character overshadowed the others even though the plot was arguably more Peter-centric.

You know that in the GotG comics Groot was an ass when he was a child too, right? He sacrificed himself in the comics too and came back as a young kid that could talk. He was a right pain in the butt. In the comics he could talk normally because his vocal cords hadn't hardened and he insulted and threatened a lot of people like a looneytoons character trying to pick a fight or something.

The movie just had him unable to speak and oblivious as opposed to being outright insulting and arrogant.

so you want to be sceptical of the basic emotional concept of the movie, that the protagonist meets his birth father as the previous film set up, so you can say the plot doesn't make sense?

>So the change of characters was exclusively to make the dumb joke "Quill's mom got fugged by a planet LOL LMAO We so adult humor random quirky"

You would literally lose a whole chunk of the thematic weight the movie had if his dad was J'son. The fact that Ego was a god without a "father" was a hugely important plot point to his character, it very clearly wasn't for no reason and the magic connection was an easy metaphor for Peter's longing to find his his biological father and "connect" with him.

Making his dad a normal being would mean losing all of that, which is very clearly more then dank penis memes.

That's not why he chose Ego you dunce. Also Quill's original father was a Cosmic mystery so if anything Gunn was returning to Englehart's roots by making his dad a god.

One can imagine that Gamora, whose main character trait has been repression due to daddy issues, will get similar development when the team show up in the movies involving said daddy.

Yeah, I liked that they all had to work as a team and they all covered each other's butts. Quill didn't go Darth Vader, but he also needed the team to rescue him from the trap his dad set.

I don't necessarily think Peter being a little bit seduced to Ego's point of view would have been bad (He was even starting to come around to it before Ego talked about killing his mom) but I think the rest of the cast coming in to rescue him worked much better than them having to talk down evil Star Lord would have. Peter shooting Kurt Russell into pieces was a way better emotional turn than the Guardians talking Peter out of joining his father.

The whole point of that scene was that Starlord was entirely drinking the kool aid, he was 100% under and literally starry eyed over his dad. The only thing that changed was when his dad mentioned his mom. I honestly wonder if he would have gone through with it and erased the universe if his dad hadn't done that to his mom.

It also makes sense when it comes to the characters, because Peter Quill has an obsession with his mom that is on the same level as Batman's obsession with his parents.

Hollywood writers ain't usually that good or that well paid (I'm saying this as a writer), but I liked GotG2, so what do I know.

Kurt Russell dad probably shouldn't have mentioned putting that tumor in Peter's mom.

On the other hand, he only did that because Meredith was so important to him that he knew he needed to kill her or he would never be able to go through with his "Destroy all life in the universe to become everything" plan. Both Ego and Peter had an obsession with her, they just differed in how they saw her.

Why do you immediately jump to this....

There are talented writers out there that do get scripts optioned, but there are also plenty of people in the industry who are only there because they know someone. Combine that with good scripts getting hacked to death by the industry and bad scripts being elevated by great directing/acting/editing and you're left with movies as we have them today.

Of course there are still plenty of people with an inflated sense of ego, but those exist among both the basement dwelling fan fiction crowd and the Hollywood crony crowd. I mean David Goyer has to be friends with somebody, that's the only way he could keep getting work.

Groot could talk period in the first Conquest miniseries, and he didn't come back as a child; he came back as a tiny adult Groot. It was sometime after this miniseries that Groot lost the ability to talk, but that wasn't explained as hardened vocal cords until fairly late in Reign of Kings.

Well, it's Sup Forums. The only real thing that unifies us as a group is our propensity to shitpost about Man of Steel.

You ate wasting your breath because it's a DC fan

Marvel movies and specifically GG are the epitome of cape shit. Then do it very well, make lots of people happy, and make lots of money.

>space holograms are perfect likenesses of people
>space TV is some black marble shit

That and i cant get over how each shot of superman makes him look like he forgot what expression he is trying to convey so he's just doing all of them