Wonder Woman: Odyssey Part 2

Time to wrap up this masterpiece.

Wonder Woman #600:
Part 1:

I don't really understand the hatred for this run. It is mediocre at best, and the fear of this becoming the new status quo is unfounded due to it essentially being filler until the Nu52 took over.

The this evokes any strong emotion is, to be honest, silly.

Alright, NOW let's do this

I think it's quite bad tbqhwy familia, and we didn't know about the New 52 when this run started

So much for saving her sisters, that's literally all the Amazons in this run dead

At the time it began New 52 was clearly not conceived yet.

My problem is more the reductive attitude JMS and Lee took to Wonder Woman.

All the people we hear every day saying bogus shit like "Wonder Woman doesn't have any definitive stories", "Wonder Woman doesn't have a consistent supporting cast", "Wonder Woman doesn't have any villains", "Wonder Woman should have fewer powers", "Wonder Woman is a warrior therefore she______", "Every writer always tries to throw out everything and do their own definitive take", this run is emblematic of.

It's Wonder Woman for people who don't like Wonder Woman.

>masterpiece

Hmmmmmmmmmm

>I don't really understand the hatred for this run

Try reading it. That helps.

It's funny because she doesn't have a supporting cast here either, literally all the secondary characters of this story die.

>Hmmmmmmmmmm
Linkara please

And again, the readers don't care because none of them had any personality or even recognizable quirks.

I feel like this is a recurring issue with most Amazon characters. They tend to be pretty bland most times, which probably goes back to many writers(and readers, sadly) being uncomfortable with an all female society, so they become these inscrutable, almost alien others who are all a bunch of stiffs.

Of course, it could just be good old vanilla laziness. Neglected supporting casts are a huge problem that affects many books, not just Wondy.

I don't understand the point of Ajax

Well that's just lovely

>It's Wonder Woman for people who don't like Wonder Woman.

I wish somebody actually wrote that.

I want a run where Wonder Woman is a straight up animu waifu character. I don't like any attempt to make her serious business because she's inherently goofy as a concept, and every WW comic I have ever seen is one that tries to hammer down how incredibly serious business she is. She and her inconsistent powerset and dumb lasso and stupid invisible jet.

>Wonder Woman musn't join you! She must die!
>Why?
>Because I say so! Bye!

Ame-Comi Wonder Woman isn't exactly that, but it is a pretty bad WW story so I may just run that next.

Well of course

I hate teasing covers like these

Her only inconsistent power is her lack of invulnerability which some dumb writers aren't aware of because they didn't do their research.

All of her other powers are as consistent as any other character's.

Seems like a trustworthy guy

Wait, what the fuck?

>Invisible Jet
>stupid
So which bullshit reasoning do you mindlessly parrot?
>It doesn't fit with the Greek theme!
Greek neither does most stuff in the DCU. Are going to start getting pissy that she's a member of the Justice League?

>It doesn't match the Amazon tech levels!
Eh, sometimes they have advanced tech, sometimes not. She could really get it from anywhere.

>You can see her sitting in it!
That is a non-diegetic artist convention for the convenience of the viewer, who would otherwise not know she's there, and would bitch about looking at panels that feature nothing but speech bubbles.

>But she can fly! Why does she need a plane when she can fly?
Because sometimes one needs a means of transporting cargo and/or passengers, which she cannot do on her own power. The jet also typically has instruments that let her find or analyze things. It also has weaponry like Vulcan guns and missiles if needed. And last, but certainly not least, it's INVISIBLE, and I really hope I don't have to explain why being invisible is occasionally useful.

So please, go right ahead. I've heard just about every dumb excuse a casual retard has for hating on Diana having an invisible jet plane. Ya boring fag.

>Lasso of Truth
>dumb
What?

???

I don't like WW being able to fly. I feel it was something introduced only to show WW and SM flying hand-in-hands. There. I said it.

Bring the Invisible Jet back.

It's too iconic a power to remove now.

The best compromise I could think of would be for her to retain the "flying on air currents" thing but require either Hermes' sandals or the jet to travel long distances really fast.

But IMO after investing in it for over 30 years it's now become one of her key powers.

She could jump really high. I hope the movie help push my high-jumping-non-flying wishes.

>a psycho, to use the vernacular
OH FUCK OFF
This is the exact same shit Sup Forums makes fun of in their shitpost threads. "You're a wonder, woman!"

Yeah, even though I don't mind the flying, if I had to choose one or the other, I'd pick the Jet. Goddamn everyone can fly nowadays, ain't nobody but Diana has an invisible jet plane.

In fact, superheroes don't really have vehicles anymore. It's usually teleporters or super flight. More capes should have their own ride. Like, okay, it gets silly when the Flash has a Flashmobile, but still.

>jump hella high
Like Wonderella?

Exactly. JMS takes every single trope for "modernizing" superheroes and uses it unironically.

The flight makes no sense to me. None of the mythical Greek heroes flew, even the demigods.

It's just something introduced to make her more like Superman, which is exactly the problem. She doesn't stand out, since she has become female Superman since the 60's, so writers are forced to amp the warrior angle in an effort to make her more different, which makes her unappealing as fuck.

Well she's got the ass muscles for it...

Well, he was a TV writer

Or, you could just let her have both flight and the jet. There's really no reason why she can't have both. Hell, she had both in Trinity, and that worked out just fine.

I swear, people who bitch about the Jet are retards. You can walk, so why do you need a car? Hurp a dee derp hurp!

>So which bullshit reasoning do you mindlessly parrot?

It's STUPID. If this isn't immediately obvious to you, go fuck yourself, you're living on the moon and earth tastes are alien to you.

Is that Stan Lee's Wonder Woman? Weird choice.

Hermes flew with his sandals

Lending them to Perseus to off Medusa is a pretty basic myth

Not into WW that much, but didn't she ride pegasus for a while?

No, only the jet! Fuck flying powers. I spit upon heroes that fly.

I spit upon Perseus.

Well, that was a waste of time. Again!

Mind you, I haven't been hospitalized since I was like 10, but I'm pretty sure they don't give you star-spangled sheets?

Speaking of the Perseus myth I always thought they should incorporate Hades' helm of Invisibility into the Invisible Jet

>It's stupid because I say so!
Yep, heard that one too.

Huh. Indeed, that's Maria Mendoza. Her thing is Incan myth instead of Greek, so that's something.

With her here, I'm kinda surprised Wanda(Tangent WW) isn't featured as well. May as well get em all.

So uh, with all the crazy shit that's being going on why haven't other superheroes butted in or whatever?

Yeah, there was also at one point a retcon that Pegasus WAS the invisible jet and it changed form throughout the ages to match the most common form of transportation.

Personally, I do like both. Especially the morphing disc jet.

I get what people mean by the flight being something relatively new to the character but it's stuck around for so long now that it's become iconic to me. Lots of now iconic things were added to characters relatively recently and/or for some marketing/synergy purpose.

I'd rather they cut it out with the sword and shield than start modifying her powers to make the sword and shield make more sense or to make her less like Superman.

Nobody could remember she existed, actually, only Bruce managed to remember her after being possessed by the White Lantern, but when he tried to find her and protect her from Maxwell Lord she acted as a huge cunt.

Thanks Mr. Lord!

hurrr Diana Prince, get it?

>I'd rather they cut it out with the sword and shield than start modifying her powers to make the sword and shield make more sense or to make her less like Superman.

See, that's the thing. They gave her a sword and a shield because she share too much in common with Superman.

If maybe she was a little bit different, power-set wise, maybe there'd be no need for the sword and the shield.

DURRR DOCTOR TREVOR, GET IT???

>Especially the morphing disc jet.
Fuck yes, Wonder-Dome! It's like Diana has a familiar.

>I'd rather they cut it out with the sword and shield than start modifying her powers to make the sword and shield make more sense
That sword and shield are cancer.

I know why no one remembers her, but that doesn't explain why no other superhero has gotten involved in this crazy shit, I mean for crying out loud some centaur with antlers and a trio of crazy women got into a fight with a super-powered woman right in the middle of a city, and no one finds this strange?

I hate the Wonder-Dome, because i'm always reminded of the arc where it came from and how Wonder Woman lusted to be Superman's Lois in the dream-world created by the Wonder-Dome and how later Wonder Woman passed her time in the Wonder-Dome destroying robots made with Superman's face because she was butthurt about being rejected by him and jealous of Lois' life.

Fuck Eric Luke.

Gay for Justice was happened at the time, user.

>Unbreakable golden lasso
>deflecting bracelets
>Tiara boomerang

Which you'd hardly see her use, because instead she would tank bullets with her face and then fly to punch things.

I guess? But if Batman can make time to guest-star in god knows how many titles, I'm sure the other heroes could spare a few minutes to investigate this crazy shit.

At least the art was nice. And Congo Bill!

They all got lives they've to get back to, man. Only Batman has nothing else to do.

But she's got stuff that sets her apart.

She's not invulnerable, she has her lasso, she has her bracelets, she fights with a wrestling style, she can commune with animals, and most importantly she's the least combative in the first place. She's a defensive and diplomatic hero.

Instead of trying to change her to be different from Superman, writers should focus on the aspects of her that are ALREADY different. That's what Simone, Perez and WML all did, even Byrne did it. Kelly did a fantastic job of it in his JLA where Morrison and Waid had done poorly. Johns understood with Flash and GL that instead of making them less powerful to make them easier to write traditional superheroics for, you should focus on what sets them apart and make it the focus. With Wonder Woman, he just looked at her, said "she's Greek" and went with that.

It's part of the paradox of the Trinity concept. They're expecting her to be as popular as Batman and Superman, when in reality her appeal is just different from them. They can set her apart from Superman by focusing on her peaceful nature.

It's not her fault dumbo writers don't know she isn't invulnerable.

So this was the payoff to that little subplot. Pretty lame desu

>She's not invulnerable, she has her lasso, she has her bracelets, she fights with a wrestling style, she can commune with animals, and most importantly she's the least combative in the first place. She's a defensive and diplomatic hero.

See, in the optimal world that would be true, but back before Rebirth she was shown everywhere else as a invulnerable super-heroine that rarely used her bracelets and lasso, and would resolve most of the conflicts by flying like a torpedo and punching everything in her path. Her ability to talk with animals was the most obscure shit ever.

She was essentially Superman. That's why writers decided to amp the pragmatic warrior angle and give her a sword and shield. Now she appears everywhere with a sword and shield in hands.

>I don't understand the point of Ajax

Wile E Coyote

>They can set her apart from Superman by focusing on her peaceful nature.

No character can be nicer than Superman. That's his deal in the JL.

Well, it's not funny then

Wonder Woman should be an ancient Greek mecha with flamethrower wrists and poison gas breath and pop out machine guns from her tits and a pop out sword from her vagina desu be honest

That would be way better and edgier and more iconic than this dumb invisible jet loving submission hippy bullshit