Am i the only one who wonders where the military is in steven universe

am i the only one who wonders where the military is in steven universe

"holy shit mr president aliens are invading and they're fucking pissed should we send in the military what do we do"

"eh, lets do jack shit about it"

No, there are plenty of other autistic, over-literal idiots who can't grasp the concept of a pseudo-mythological premise piece out there.

Government relations with the gems is always a topic that seems not to be touched upon, probably because it's unimportant to the show's narrative.
You have to understand that sometimes in stories you have to either compromise pacing, tone, etc. if you want to create a universe that makes sense.
The government and the military thus far haven't been important to the show, and would not add to the show to be introduced to the story. Therefore you make your own excuses and move on.

humans are generally chill af in this show. The only signs of government are in movies, the mail service, and Mayor Dewey with his bodyguards.

Even then, we havent seen mayor dewey for a looong time. (June 16th, 2015)

It's a good thing that they chose to instead waste time on how Sadie has a mediocre singing voice or how Ronaldo has autism

That just makes sacrificing the worldbuilding all worth it, somehow

IN THE NOT TOO DISTANT PAST
2016 AD
THERE WAS A GUY NAMED JOEL
NOT TOO DIFFERENT FROM YOU OR ME
HE WORKED AT IN A VOICE RECORDING BOOTH
VOICING A BACKGROUND CHARACTER, THAT'S THE TRUTH
BUT BEFORE HE COULD BE DEALT ANOTHER CRUSHING BLOW
NETFLIX SMILED ON HIM AND REBOOTED HIS SHOW

Meant to reply to

>probably because it's unimportant to the show's narrative.

But is vital to the shows world.

See, the issue with using large, world threatening stakes is, you establish that this threat is reaching more than just the protagonists immediate notice. That's why even in alien invasion movies where we follow a singular protagonist, the other events are established and given a single brief second or two of lips service. It's usually hardly much, the transmissions being received in Independence Day, the shadow government reacting in Avengers, stuff like that. It's important to keep in mind what scale will have for a conflict when giving that conflict out. If it's something that should logically involve more of the world, it's vital to establish both the stakes and for the scope of it to be understood that we get some kind of notice about this.

Thing is, even if you ignore it, that doesn't mean that it's not affecting the world. It is. You're telling people "The military do not do anything in this world, period. They do not mobilize, they do not fight, they do not even notice." The military not involving themselves isn't unimportant, it is, but this is the information they're giving to us. They don't exist or don't try.

It's funny that you talk about compromise but then immediately ignore that narratively you have to compromise certain things in the scale of how big the threat is. If you want a scale that threatens the world, you're including the world. Or if you want to ignore it, you have to focus very little on worldbuilding and lore building, because both of those invite questions from the audience. The makers of the show want people to question this world and think about the lore, but not too much? As in think about it and all the cool stuff we did, but maybe don't actually question anything about this world.

So, don't think about it, because it's a show you're meant to ignore and forget.

I'm more curious about the gem military. Who exactly are they fighting, except for possibly other gems? I mean, you wouldn't have an army if there was no one to fight in the first place.

it was already shown that the sneople control the worlds' militaries - it can be assumed that they're familiar with homeworld and either know not to fuck with them, or have some sort of truce with them

Because then they would have to make the gem empire actually have an army rather than just be two easily outwitted big ladies and their small team of generally incompetent jackasses who constantly go silent on missions to Earth and are immediately forgotten about.

Rebecca doesn't want any form of large scale conflict, she wants an extremely self contained story about some fat kid and his surrogate moms.

>implying the gov't can detect gem tech.

>Be government
>Ayylmaos come down and blow a Continent to shit, probably after the niggers tried to fight
>Your next action is to do the same
Why

>military in steven universe
The military is just a limb of the white male patriarchy. It doesn't belong in a show about how matriarchy is superior.

I always figured connies dad was some sort of weird government agent watching the gems and stuff and maybe doing some shady gemtech stuff instead he's a rent a cop. Like the day steven is born is the day they start watching them because of the posibility of a hybrid using gem tech, like in district 9.

it's not like he had that many lines to begin with

there is no army if it's not lesbian army

Some shit has gone done at some point in earth's history. We don't know what.

oh look, Russia destroyed. guess Sugar hates russians

I mean they did get Trump elected.

yeah, they voted for Trump from Russia. good for you

But user, if we don't see some fat chick's autistic relationship with her overbearing mother, how are we going to CARE about the Earth when the Gems invade!?

It's not like these stories are having the exact opposite effect and make me root for Steven actually leaving Earth!

Hey I'm with you man. Why do we let Russians vote in our elections anyway.

And why do we let them have 2 votes per person.

Holly Shit!
According this map:
>Florida is not anymore a penninsula
>Yucatan, Mexico is not anymore
>Panama is under water
>Siberia is fucked
>Japan have more territory
This world is fucked....

'cause they drink for 2 person

Snake people

>That piece of Africa just all the way over attached to South America

Idk but I kek everytime.

Steven Universe exists in an anarcho capatalist society. Just watch the episode with the Watermelon Stevens or Mr. Greg. Wealth and business is everything in this society, and there are no real regulations. The NAP is very clearly a thing (Vidalia decides to pull a fucking shotgun on Steven when he's in her garage) as well.

Maybe all the humans who had a willingness to fight freaky alien gem lesbians died off helping Rose and her rebellion.

All that was left were the pussies and the brain damaged and that doesn't make for a very proactive genepool.

I think you mean Ancient Aqua Mexico.

>Australia looks drunk
accurate
>America had its wang cut off.
Transamerica!

>there is a diamond on the one dollar bill

Friendly reminder the Ronaldo turned out to be right about everything

You don't have to compromise on that shit if you're a GOOD storyteller. If you have talent you can encompass intimate personal storytelling and world-spanning megaplots.

are you serious?

I read it on HuffPo

what is the government in steven universe

meh, as cool as a filler episode where Peridot's ship completely demolishes the entire US Atlantic Fleet would be, it would cost too much for what amounts to very little story wise

Its like that filler episode in early DBZ where Nappa just destroys the world military because Vegeta wants to wait around for Goku, it was kinda cool but it was by definition a filler episode

>military existing
>worldbuilding

the picture similar to 'join or die' imples the live in a confederacy version of the U.S. with less centralized power. The Millitary might be provincial

inb4 they are still using the Articles of Confederation

I'm still hoping that there is this secret MIB type of organization that's trying to develop technology and rebuild a Neo-military to fight the Gems themselves as they believe the Crystal Gems aren't competent enough to protect the Earth.

But a part of myself knows it will never happen of course because that would actually be interesting and would create an interesting arc that focuses other then generic townie episodes and a tiny bit of lore thrown in.

the whole Russian hacker story is fake news. not to be a Sup Forumsak

but why would Russia hack U.S. Elections to have Trump win?

how could they even hack into a closed system ?

btw the u s of a has done this many times by initiating coups, influencing elections, and the like.

americans are getting dumber and dumber. they live in a bubble and eat the crap news they get

yeah, the propaganda and tripe that passes for journalism is terrible

>why would they?
what are you dumb? Everyone has a choice they favor in elections, Trump was pro Russia and Hilary was anti Russia they weren't subtle about it, of course Russia would want Trump elected over Hilary, even assuming all claims that Trump might somehow be in debt either literally or otherwise are false, they would still rather have a former business partner of theirs than a former diplomat who proved combative

No one has seriously claimed hacking of election machines, mostly they claim hacking of DNC material which was funneled through wikileaks to harm Hilary, its not that hard to hack an email system that has to be used to coordinate people across the nation

also just because we do it to other nations doesn't mean we want it done to ourselves, I mean Western nations have been bombing and attacking Muslim countries for decades now why is everyone freaking out when Muslims come to our country and do the same thing to us?

I like that but yeah,
You're right..

Maybe in thirteen years when they do the pg13 toonami final season.

Not under the current run.

Would the governments of the world even recognize the true danger of home world yet? They haven't made any serious attacks on the planet in millennia. Their most recent efforts only involved ufos bothering three spinsters and a chubby boy off the coast of Delaware. The ship crash might have been a bit of an event but it could just as easily be written off as a hoax. The closest you'd get to any real concerns would be the seismic activity caused by the Cluster, and it would probably take any government institution way too long to react to it to do anything of value in that scenario.

Until Gems start invading en masse, it's entirely probably the government wouldn't even realize anything was wrong.

>It doesn't belong in a show about how matriarchy is superior.
SU is about how women can be just as flawed as men, it's not misandrist by any means.

well what did murica do when serbia fought muslims in 90s? they bombarded it.
muslim world for everyone guys, and murica did it. everything that happens to world, murica did it, that includes Trump too. and if muricans are stupid to see it, then they have iq7

Trump bombed Syria one of Russia's allies, and is spooning with Saudi Arabia, he's not handing out any favors to Russia. MSM likes to make diversions about small Trump things that don't even matter spinning them into big eventkeeping consumers in a daily limbo. he wanted cooperation with Russia and Putin only. the DNC server was not secure and was leaked as a result, the culprits as you said are not known, but probably aren't KGB agents.
the DNC dealings were truly corrupt anyways.

Maybe it's like macross and how they never really showed the supervision army.

Actually making the whole thing a macross ripoff would be fun.

Makes sense. Homeworld are like reverse-Zendrati. Instead of being disgusted and freaked out by singing and emotions, it's all they're capable of doing.

>Peridot's ship completely demolishes the entire US Atlantic Fleet would be
Gem ships aren't really powerful.

>early DBZ where Nappa just destroys the world military
The humans from the future have the tech to kill shit like Frieza tho.

The Alternian Empire?

>Michigan is still a mitten

Whew

It's confirmed that WWI and WWII never happened in the Steven Universe's universe.
From this we can deduce that America never felt the need to invest in it's military forces, leading to a critical under-funding of the American military.

If they colonized more planets with sentient life like Earth they probably had to fight off aggressive natives. Or even hostile flora and fauna.

The Earth was scarred and continents shattered during the part of human history where the world was just getting the hang of the whole "civilization" thing. Towering multi-limbed gods fought across mountain ranges, cast lightning from their hands, and breathed hellfire. Rebellion-era gems were completely incomprehensible to humans, tech-wise.

There's probably massive echoes of cultural trauma surrounding anything Gem-related. There are Gem references on the money, and ruins are scattered across the planet, filled with dangerous technology and actual monsters, which are also just sometimes wandering around in the wild. Being an archaeologist would be significantly more dangerous than it is for Indiana Jones. The SU Earth is full of weird goddamn shit. Humans have clearly gotten the message that Gem stuff shouldn't be messed with.

after 5000 years of procreation? That's retarded

I'll bet the military was just a basic suppression force intended to subdue unruly natives on colony worlds, until Rose's rebellion. That was probably the first time anything other than individual "defective" gems had to be combated within the Empire.

Remember that Gems live an extremely long time, so the Rebellion was, for them, extremely recent. Most of the military proliferation is likely left over from then.

So are the new episodes coming out early in the app or do we actually have to wait until memorial day for the episodes?

always figured there was little to none since the gems have been there even before man
they probably would've stopped people from massacreing each other and proteccted them from any other threats

I heard it was only WWII that didn't happen in SU.

The US gov never said Russia hacked a voting machine.
They never said Russia altered results.

What they did state was that Russia using wiki leaks and hacker teams broke into the DNC's records and published their dirty shit.

They claim that Russia had shill sites and posters going around spreading fake news articles that would trend.

They claim that Russian sponsered media like RT set out to lie about everything.

And as for why they would want Trump, its because of the two lead candidates, Trump is an idiot/inexperienced and they potentially have influence. Both factors that would lead to them being able to get away with more shit. It isn't surprising Russia has a favorite though. I'm sure they were happy when Obama got elected over McCain.

Peridot is back

But those bombs all landed in empty fields

what has Russia done to the U.S. lately? when has Russia swayed the U.S. beyond just expanding their millitaries?

I know, I'm trying to explain it on user's terms. they would have just denied me and I would have to explain it as a false flag

>lately
One thing that is hard for the US to understand is that the outside world does not have a memory of 4 years. RU/US have been butting heads for decades over issues. Mainly due to trade, NATO, US activities in Russia's perceived hemisphere, and other shit. Hell at one point Obama called them a toothless tiger which pissed them off. Many presidents have tried to get better relationships with RU, but one reason or another it never works out.

Second question could not say precisely. I know their has been some reports of Russia spewing out false research papers in academic circles, but wouldn't really consider that evil gov activity that you are looking for. There is their hacking activities but every country at this point has some sort of red team.

If people are right about Trump, then Trump could do things like stay silent on RU's eastern Europe aggression and actions in Syria. He might quietly ease up US embargoes or hesitate to do XYZ action that RU wouldn't like.

>forgets her very good friend
>only remembers he exists after he's already in space

Am I the only one who ships Pearl and Dewey ?

The US has done a lot in the way of containment and is still trying to claim the Middle Eastern oilfields and encroach further. Although the country is in a shabby state, propaganda and false flags by nato and the eu would lead to eventually cutting off access to economies if they were part of nato. The Chrimean actually voted to be annexed because of the peoples' Russian descent.

Except there's no plausible way for them to actually be effective because their experience with gem technology would be five thousand years out of date, just like the Crystal Gems.

Yeah, in transportation maybe but their weak as shit arsenal and material would get absolutely obliterated by the military, slow ass charging lasers be damned. And don't get me started on the chemical fuckery earth's scientists can unleash on minerals.

Basically if this show was more about world building, the cluster was the only shot the empire had at taking down the entirety of earth's military.

>Russia
>Siberia
I fucking hate you Americans and your shit geography skills.

This is the rotten core that undermines SU's own message. It presents us with a setting that peddles the age old 'humans are special' sci-fi gimmick where the aliens are captivated by human emotion and society.

But SU tries to do that AT THE SAME TIME as relegating humanity to irreverent side gags and shitty filler plots. Unless a human in question is individually, specifically important to a gem (ie Greg and Connie) they're just scenery.

This results in the gems feeling more like real characters than the humans, because at least the gems follow a logical societal structure, as shitty as it may be. The humans are so passive, uninterested in gem stuff, and so annoyingly accepting of the gem's presence that the audience can only fucking hate them. Surprise: townie episodes feel like dull filler that comes out of a completely different show to the 'real' episodes where things actually happen.

In fact I'm going to explain it in the most simple, easy to understand terms possible.

SIBERIA is the big region in Russia filled with fuck-all. It's like your Idaho but more of the potatoes are made into vodka. RUSSIA is not centered in Siberia. Russia's largest population centers are in the European part, west of the Urals.

In this map most of populated Russia is fine, and probably better off because we do not have 20 gorillion km of empty lands and handful of loonies. There is a sea there now, vast improvement over Siberia nothingness.

>Western Australia fucked
>rest is fine including where I live

Sounds good.

G'day.

>Cartoon for girls
>Where is the military guys?
Are you retarded?

>It's like your Idaho but more of the potatoes are made into vodka
I don't know why that's funny to me but thanks possible RusAnon, you made me smile.

Only Gems have a pathetic arsenal consisting of medieval weaponry like swords and axes and they are very clearly unorganized and incompetent in taking over planets as the Cluster is pretty much the one thing they relay on. Rose probably had a hand in that since the war probably crippled Homeworld in terms of resources.

Meanwhile, we humans are a curious bunch that is always trying to weaponize everything and we mostly succeed. If some secret society of humans motivated in destroying the aliens and proving their self worth managed to get their hands on gem tech or secrets they would easily find a way to make them work in their favor.

And again, that would be incredibly interesting to see that. The species that the Gems have sworn to protect and have a very low opinion of (i.e. Pearl) are all of the sudden starting to take charge in fighting Homeworld with their own brand of advanced weaponry designed to kill Gems. Making Steven and the Gems conflicted on whether they should allow them to join the fight or try to take control as "Earth's protectors". Even Beach City would start to idolize these super soldiers and see the Crystal Gems as unworthy protectors.

Hell, maybe Bismuth can come back and join the society of humans, working for their weapon department and arming them with Breaking Points, making them even more of a threat.

But Sugar and everyone else working on this show is a hack and they'd never do anything this interesting.

If humans ever 'rose up' to fight you can bet it'd only be Beach City and it's be a bunch of 'hilarious' and 'quirky' implements.

Fryguy would use spatulas. The Mayor would throw ballots at them. Shit like that.

he was in steven floats technically

Because adding something as complex as the military would take effort and competency (Something which is non existant in the Crewniverse) not to mention I doubt anyone in charge of the show has the slightest idea of how the military works. I mean just look at how poorly organized everything in Homeworld is. The only reason they appeared to be threatening at first was because we didn’t know anything about them, and now that we do we realize how incompetent everyone is. More than intentional it looks like an oversight from the creators because they don’t know anything about the subject themselves.

SU is constantly playing it safe and is why we get such deep episodes like Lars showing his skills as a cook and Peridot and Lapis artistic skills inside the meme barn and lets not forget Steven’s name if he was a girl. All of it which are super important to the plot and themes to the show. Of course they would never include something meaningless like why the earth’s geography is different and why earth doesn’t fight back against an alien invasion everyone seems to ignore.

When you think about it SU is a sugar coated remake of Invader Zim except that it takes itself too seriously.

It's an underdeveloped plot point

It's more important to have bullshit episodes about town peiople instead

The fact that gems have to invade planets with sentient life and homeworld has managed to sustain it's Empire for the thousands of years since the earth war happened, implies that not only are there shitloads of aliens civilizations out there but there might be was happening right now in the show resisting homeworld

But let's have an episode about some random bullshit instead! Too bad the protagonist of this show is a mentally disabled, obese, coddled, idiotic, hyper emotional seven year old or this show might have been interesting!

SU needs an equivalent of Agent Bishop.

then if wwii never happened how do microwaves exist lol

Actually Steven himself is outright trying to break out of the shitty mould if you haven't noticed. Taking the issue directly to the diamonds instead of cowering like the other gems.

The problem is the rest of the humans.

Bait.

That move sealed the fate of humanity. Homework was okay with chilling until the cluster exploded because they don't know it was prevented. They have been waiting millenniums and could have waited decades if not centuries longer. Considering the human world seems identical to ours, a few more decades or centuries and humans could actually defend themselves against homeworld.
But not Steven wants to find out more about his mom because the gem moms won't tell him so he gave himself up and now they know Rose is technically alive.

Earth is lucky if they don't fucking glass the planet in rage just to guarantee Rose and the crystal gems are dead.

Someone needs to throw this Peridot onto the tail-end of that Peri height degeneration chart.

were the gems on earth before civilization even existed? are they the reason the continents are so fucked up?

Yes.

B-but Steven Universe isn't that kind of show.

Source.

>Sugar destroyed Russia because they removed the midget lesbian kiss from an episode
As expected of a (((Jewess))).