Can we take a momento appreciate how amazingly good Aku is as a character?

can we take a momento appreciate how amazingly good Aku is as a character?

I just have such joy whenever I see him on screen, even when he is evil he is enjoyable and he is usually pretty relaxed about most of what is going on around him

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=egY8rUpxqcE
youtube.com/watch?v=GF_tn-VBt3U
youtube.com/watch?v=_KUlbPV_BeM
youtube.com/watch?v=IHWI97hLH-k
drive.google.com/file/d/0B0d-N8mW84joWFQ1QXFtOXFVc2c/view
youtube.com/watch?v=0RJVzDMd5ac
youtu.be/f4nUD_dNiGo?t=24s
youtube.com/watch?v=iC6deOAReoM
youtube.com/watch?v=tgCzKdKH0VY
youtube.com/watch?v=DtTQ-8npkWY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I just love when the antagonist can make me laugh.

For me he wins as all-around best villain.

As much as I enjoy the humor I like the moments when he gets serious the most, but thats mainly because he doesn't act seriously so much of the time that the few times he does it serves as a reminder that he's literally evil personified.

He wasn't shy about it either-
Being evil.

He wasn't pretending to bring order to the world.
He wasn't claiming that it was for the greater good or that his actions serve some overall purpose that led to a goal.

He was evil. What he did was evil, he knew it, and he fucking loved it. He laughed all the goddamn time doing it- just being evil and squashing people literally for shits and giggles. The SHIT PEOPLE or SHIT PLANET even have him a statue for it.
The only other character I can ever think of that just loved being evil like that was Palpatine, he loved that shit and he had a great fucking laugh while doing it too.

I've always wanted to see what would happen if Palps and Aku exchanged universes. Or if they teamed up.

It goes to show that your villain doesn't have to be "le deep and sympathize character"

They can be pure evil and still be fun and make you care about them

GREAT FLAMING EYEBROWS

Goodnight, sweet prince.

>it's an Aku appreciation and memorial thread

Fuck yeah.

He was amazing. A goldmine of reaction images, platform for some of the best voice acting of all time, creative and unique design with unique abilities and characteristics, and he's the only character I can think of who was genuinely capable of being as terrifying as he was hilarious.

Rest In Peace ya crazy diamond.

Aku victory when?

>He wasn't shy about it either-
>Being evil.
Yup. He reminds me of Bill.

Good night, sweet Shape-Shifting Master Of Darkness, Master Of Masters, Shogun Of Sorrow, Deliverer of Darkness.

Your memes will live forever.

Rest in piece shogun of sorrow
fell victim to mary sue asspulls

How would aku react to all these people mourning his death and claiming they love him?

as far as aku clones go, bill was a good attempt

shame about the rest of the show

The main villain of The Order of the Stick is like that too. He's evil with a capital E, and he loves it, and the author makes no attempts to make him sympathetic or have redeeming qualities - but he's still charming and entertaining as hell. Sometimes you're almost rooting for him.

I like how Future Aku's realization of his own death wasn't met by his usual hammy blustering. Just a quiet, fearful "oh no".

not Sup Forums, but main villain in Krod Mandoon (sp?) is somewhat like that too

ANYWAYS,

F

My guess would be amused but also confused. He seemed like he wanted people to fear him, not admire him.

His fault for being so likeable

The scene when he visits Daughters of Aku temple was pretty telling. He was slightly confused, slightly flattered and slightly amused.

Also,
>the shit statue by shit people
Priceless scene

>tfw you normally don't care if a character dies in fiction but you legitimately felt sad when Aku died

I felt sad when scaradouche and aku died and celebrated ashis non existence
I don't think this is what gennedy wanted

I am legit bothered by aku (in special future aku) dying. He was WAY too good as a character to go. I would have accept "he cant actually be killed, only sealed" ending in a heartbeat.

Pretty sure that Genndy is aware of how likable and comedic he made his villains. It was their entire point, despite them.being complete monsters.

I kind of love him.
He is the exact perfect mix of menacing and funny.

It feels weird, because Jack beating Aku in some way, was literally the only thing I wanted out of the season, everything else was just bonus stuff to me. But after it was all over, it felt weird knowing that he was dead. And I know it's stupid, because he's a fictional character, but after all these years, him having a canonical death actually makes me a bit sad.

That's the problem
ALL of his characters were top tier
I don't understand how he managed to fuck up So hard with ashi

He's alive in our hearts

Kind of sad the last showdown between Aku and Jack wasn't more cathartic. Would have been nice to have another graveyard-tier fight desu

The best part about the way he acted was that he was so VARIED when he was being evil. It wasn't always murder and death all the time, he took every opportunity to be an evil bastard even if it meant nobody would die. I think the fact that he went out of his way to fuck with Jack via his Ikra persona is pretty telling as to how much he enjoys being just a general jerk (doubly so if you count the comics where he does it again, this time for LITERALLY no other reason than because he likes making Jack suffer).

So many fucking words goddamn

will aku ever comeback?

Let this show rest. It has served its purpose.
Although... I wouldn't say no to a comedic Aku mini series.

Reboot where aku kills everyone when

spoiler

jack should have kept the sword with aku imprisoned in it. that way ashi could have gone back and stayed with jack.

Well, he did kill everyone except Jack

The best cartoon villain of the 21st century, bar none, and the best CN one by leagues.

His best qualities were reborn in Mojo Jojo. Why do you think that monkey had a Japanese accent?

the lich is pretty badass from AT.

youtube.com/watch?v=egY8rUpxqcE

youtube.com/watch?v=GF_tn-VBt3U

I agree with the sentiments in this thread as a whole. Fantastic character in every aspect from design to temperament to casting, all the way to the end.

That said, I'd like to ask a tangential question (instead of clogging the board with another Jack thread): Now that the Season is done, what did everybody think of Baldwin's portrayal of the character?

I personally really loved it by the end, mostly because in Episodes 2 & 5 the point was that he was off his game, and he was holding back the delivery to match it. The flashback in 7, as well as his overall performance in 9 & 10, really won me over. I can see why Genndy went with him in the end, even if the actual voice couldn't remotely compare to Mako's (not that anybody's could).

He was excellent when he was angry/evil, but his "depression Aku" voice was a generic slavic accent. I get that he wanted to do a different thing, it didn't really fit the character I was used to.
Even then he gave us some good tidbits of performance, the E R A D I C A T E D bit comes to mind.

>Ashi dead
>Jack alone and heartbroken

Anonymous, he did win.

Once he was allowed his enthusiasm back, he was great

and yet he died in a die hard explosion scene without a memorable final line.
thanks genndy

that lady bug scene kinda implied ashi was everything.

Yes, but he's no Aku.

Aku was grandiose and had memorable, charismatic lines the entire series. A single, solemn, "oh no" in knowing he is beaten in the future, and an unaware "You're back already?" (when Jack literally struggled for 50 years to get back) were perfect in how in-character they were for Aku in a position of legitimate defeat.

It was more of a reminder to Jack. The moral is that just because something's gone, doesn't mean it's forgotten, and the people you meet in your life live forever in your memory; in Episode 9 Jack was caught up in not wanting people he meets to just become memories, but in the end he realizes that this means that they'll never truly die for as long as he remembers them. I don't know how many people actually picked up on that moral, but I can't blame some people since it's not very explicit at all.

how do you think lich vs aku would go down?

I took it to mean that he thought Ashi would love this world. That he'll be ok, and should move on, instead of falling into the depression he was in before. The ladybug reminded Jack of how Ashi saved him.

You're back already - no, wait!" Is also a meta-joke beyond the gag in show, what with the 13 year hiatus.

I never understood why he is so flat.

Looks like he could be blown away in a light breeze.

the way i saw the lady bug scene was that he saw ashis goodness in the saved world he now lives in.

in the first few episodes ashi also has an encounter with a lady bug.

Greg Baldwin sounded more like Iroh to me, than Aku, if that makes sense. Otherwise I'll reiterate that his impersonation/impression really shined when he was being enthusiastic and giddy with evil.

Loved that one tweet of him saying "EXTRA THICK" for the heck of it.

I like to believe that Aku was just one iteration of the ultimate evil that the 3 gods were fighting in space. Perhaps they destroyed that entire mass of animosity in their big space battle, but it's just as likely that there were many droplets that managed to escape and find their way to different worlds.
Totally fabric tier shit, but it's cool to ponder.

Aku fags need to leave, YAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Fanfic***
Not fabric
>>mobile fag

That is, literally, what happened. Huge black evil mass, gods fucked it up, one drop hit Earth, Aku happened.

One of the things I adore the most about Aku is how well constructed he is as a character despite a simple characterization. I love the sounds that play whenever he does things. I love that he's a character with his own unique sound effects.
That rumbling distortion sound that plays whenever he appears without exception. Those freaky tree-cracking sounds that he makes when he moves. The snake rattle at his sinister moments. The drums that play whenever he has a sudden change in mood. Those bells that announce his arrival.
And that's not even without getting into the way he speaks and sounds and the fantastic work Mako did on the character (and I really do give credit to Baldwin because he did a good job trying to imitate it while doing his own thing).
youtube.com/watch?v=_KUlbPV_BeM

I've always appreciated how SJ used ambience and atmosphere to tell the simplest stories and how elaborate and varied are the sounds that play whenever Aku is involved. It conveys so well the presence of an ominous, allmighty demon, even when he's being goofy.
I'll miss him.

That wouldn't be too bad of a plot desu.

>The droplets of evil begin converting back together
>A black Mass begins to emerge in the sky
>Jack's father knows this darkness and begins to frantically assemble an army to hold it back
>It get a single drop of Aku from earth
>A massive explosion insues
>bright white eyes and a devilish smile begin to emerge as red hot flames ignite on the figure
>The all too familiar laugh breaks throughout the universe.
>Jack, knowing they're all doomed. Rides off to find a time portal (Should someone be allowed to accompany him? Either is father or someone else)
>Jack needs a ship to find the hero's of the universe and assemble and army against Aku and his minions
>all The darkness of the universe could either be mindless beast or have their own personalities hear and there.

This tribute is fucking awesome
(use the drive, youtube one sounds like crap)
youtube.com/watch?v=IHWI97hLH-k

drive.google.com/file/d/0B0d-N8mW84joWFQ1QXFtOXFVc2c/view

Man, some of these old previews for samurai jack are pretty cool.
>emmy winning Birth of Evil
>narrated by Peter Cullen
youtube.com/watch?v=0RJVzDMd5ac

Yeah. It took the meme a while to reach him.

He's supposed to look out of place, like he doesn't belong and shouldn't be. An animate, malevolent shadow.

Why didn't he follow them back in time?

Holy shit one of those I actually agree with.

he didn't want to die

I think the fact he's so genuinely laid back makes him a lot more scary when he's in evil mode

According to Pendleton Ward, the Lich runs like hell.

GENNDY GIVE ME THAT FUCKING SOUNDTRACK.

ALL AKU FIGHT AND AKU LAIR FUCKING HELL GIVE IT TO ME!

FUCKING HELL WHERE IS THE SOUNDTRACK ITS THE CURRENT YEAR!

My favorites: youtu.be/f4nUD_dNiGo?t=24s

I want that ominous humming lair music tho.

youtube.com/watch?v=iC6deOAReoM

He should have fought future Aku before just shitting on past Aku in a second.

It felt similar to going back to a starting zone you outlevel in an RPG. Very underwhelming.

I felt like Jack causing the future be changed them showing Aishi dissapearing from existence is meant to signfy the sacrifice of war. Yes, Jack fought for "good" but in the end was what he sacrificed really "good".

The last scene shows Jack accepting his actions, accepting the sacrifice he made.

I meant "causing the future to be changed and them"

sorry using phone lmao

youtube.com/watch?v=tgCzKdKH0VY
youtube.com/watch?v=DtTQ-8npkWY
Best Aku fight
I was sad nothing like this happened in the new Jack

Maybe Genndy can't write female characters. All his work is very dude-centric

>"How? HOW?!"
Fucking beautiful.

Two Aku vs Jack
I'm sure one of them could just incinerate him while he was dealing with the other

I'm still not sure why female leads or sidekicks are always so awful. I'm all for having interesting, meaningful female characters who aren't just there as eye candy, but holy shit I almost prefer that shit to this "strong female character" gimmick. They're always cute and perfect and they can do no wrong, but the worst thing IMO is they're impervious to humor. Nobody had a problem with evil Ashi trying to kill Jack, I think most people appreciated the dynamics because it was entertaining and she was so over the top. Then she becomes a sweet fairy and all that humor just disappeared.

I think this is also the basic explanation to why Korra was shit while Aang or Katara are well appreciated, there's humor in those characters while Korra is just a fucking superhero.

Watch Birth of Evil, you dummy.

That complete dumbfounded look he gets when the sword does nothing is so priceless

What's he's saying is what if the Aku droplet of that mass wasn't the only one who stopped burning so maybe there's an Aku like being on another planet

If he did your next question would be:

"Why didn't Aku just go back in time from the start?"

Aku is pretty much just an eldritch Robotnik.
He even has god damn robots.

If Aku ever managed to kill Jack would he be happy to have won or sad that the only thing to give his existence meaning as of late is gone?

What if he's alive just sealed in the sword?

This. Aku was too good

plot device

Hey /Aku/. Did anyone else go to the memorial for our dear lord, Aku? I'm gonna miss the guy. What am I gonna do for a job now? i used to help make robots for him but now I got nothing.

Any advice, /Aku/?

Man, that fucking song. I remember watching that episode for the first time and getting to that scene after Iroh had spent his day having wacky impromptu mentor adventures.

Other anons have already said it better, but I agree that he was at his best when animated (best delivery: "I am sorry old man, I think you are lost.")

Someone also said in another thread that you have to take Baldwin as separate from Mako, because those shoes can't be filled. If you evaluate it as "did Baldwin sound like Mako" you're going to be disappointed, but if you ask "did Baldwin sound like Aku" he did good enough.

The death of beloved characters is what separates a good story from a neverending cashcow franchise. As much as I loved Aku, he died as a proper villain, and I'm glad he won't be coming back.

Comics today (Marvel, DC) are too terrified of offing good characters because they will lose readers and money. They're too desperate trying to upholde the status quo of the story to kill venerable characters, thus leading to a loss of impactful moments because everybody knows that it ultimately won't change anything.

I don't think they would've gone for the whole Joker-style "dependent on the hero" trope with Aku. He seemed pretty gleeful whenever he was ruining random people's days, like those bug aliens who crash landed on Earth. He kept that up for literally thousands of years, no problem. The only time we saw him depressed was after 50 years of being worried that the one thing in the universe that can kill him will do so. When he thought Jack was swordless he seemed pretty thrilled. When he realized it was wrong, he was ready to make a quick retreat.

>as ashi, aku didn't vanished instantly
>my way plays while aku consumes the world before everything ceases to exist
sleep tight my sweet prince

Guys... Guys.. What if Aku isn't really dead, He have a clone spawned from him hidden anywhere?