Rereading Homestuck and these segments with Jade and John on the battleship really stand out as the worst pages in the...

Rereading Homestuck and these segments with Jade and John on the battleship really stand out as the worst pages in the entire comic. They feel so tired and soulless, like Hussie didn't even want to write and draw them. Reading them is painful.

mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006628
mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=007181

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/1OrbQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

reading all of homestuck is painful

Thats all of act 6 though.

>Rereading Homestuck and act 6 really stand out as the worst pages in the entire comic. They feel so tired and soulless, like Hussie didn't even want to write and draw them. Reading them is painful.
ftfy

>Rereading Homestuck

Every time I think about Homestuck I remember that gay Dave is something that actually unironically happened.

that's what happens when tumblr takes ahold.

Hussie didn't write them.

And then it didn't and he fucked Jade. Hussie can't even commit to ruining his own comic.

How would Hussie have turned out if Whistles got big instead of Homestuck?

>Homestuck

FUCK OFF!

reminder that homestuck is the flagship piece of media that was ruined by tumblr

there is no better example than hussie's pandering

Trolls and shipping would have become clowns and shipping.

>2010
No no. That can't be right at all.

>They feel so tired and soulless,
That's because they actually are. it's called good writing. They were going through a huge trip fatigue and it reflected on that. still, those part sill managed to be funny and interesting.

Act 6 only turn bad after Game Over. and only because it got rushed.

>Act 6 only turn bad after Game Over. and only because it got rushed.

Clap your hands if you believe in Hussie.

Hussie pls go and stay go

he leaves this in but doesn't take out feferi saying "retard" or dave saying "faggot"
it was a good joke that wasn't even offensive
hussie is so spineless

>he leaves this in
He didn't, that's the point.

>believe in Hussie

Fuck no. He dug the grave for the comic himself, now it's time to lay that fucker down for the rest of time.

yeah obviously, that sentence got away from me somehow
I meant he took it out

>TFW it's easier to just pretend "Cascade" was the final page and Act-6 never happened.

>JOHN: jade.
>JOHN: that is absolutely the shittiest ghost buster i have ever seen.
I dunno. For some reason this is still pretty funny to me.

just follow the guide

I've barely read Homestuck, I got to act 2 and stopped. Has it really gotten that bad?

yes

yes

yes

actual spoiler: hussie adds a bunch of shitty characters with no real plot significance and then spends the rest of the comic either writing shipping drivel between them and the main cast to pander to the tumblr audience or killing everyone else off but reviving them later/preserving them in a shitty afterlife dream world to the point where death means nothing in the story. Also one of them becomes Hussie's pet character and basically pilots the narrative all the way to the end.

Well, I know what I'm not going back to read now.

>JOHN: jade...
>JADE: hm?
>JOHN: i think i just realized something.
>JADE: what?
>JOHN: THIS COMIC FUCKING SUCKS!!!

What would've been a better way for Hussie to do it.
>TG: hey John I'm gay.
>TG: Cool we good?
>TG: Let's go kill Lord English.

Wow you sound edgy.

Is it just me or is the
>"Hussie pandered to tumblr Dave's gay now guise :c"
Narrative kind of the weakest one? It just feels like low-hanging fruit. Especially when you look at all the shadier shit and dealings that goes around with WhatPumpkin.

Because talking about things like "Hussie got robbed and his dad died at the same time" is legitimately depressing and it's difficult to shit on Hussie for it. While making gay characters is a capital offense.

that's just one of the things people on Sup Forums are the most pissed about. because >muh ships

Overall I'm really enjoying the reread, I stopped in between Act 4 and Act 5 and reread all of Problem Sleuth too. I follow along with the log and track the release dates of updates with certain twists in the comic, like Jan 2011 was the month all the trolls started dying, or x was the month we finally got to see what Jade looked like, ect.

Reminder that Cohen made up some bullshit about Calliope aging faster so he could justify his pedophilia ship of a 16/20 year old dating a 11/14 year old girl.
archive.fo/1OrbQ

>What would've been a better way for Hussie to do it.
don't literally retcon the story to make it happen
lose the hypocritical "toxic masculinity" speech
anybody but karkat

I mean that's kinda low too, I'm always thinking less "Oh gee Hussie's must be sad dead dad ablooablooabloo" and rather "What kind of clusterfuck legal battles and financial adventures is the man running behind the scenes?"
Considering
>He raised 2.5 million dollars that got stolen by a company
>Supposedly moved across the country just to try to get it back
>Restarted his project two times (Possible thrice according to some rumors)
>Shut down his New York studio and fired all the employees after replacing them with his personal friends
>Is still trying to float a vaporware game that's 5 years later with almost zero information or transparency
Tumblr is like a gnat compared to that, and probably doesn't even register on his radar.

I gotcha covered famalam

I thought Johns freakout was funny, though.

You haven't been there man!

You don't know what it was like fighting on the fuckin beaches of tumblr, horrid autistic SJWs screaming down the cyberspace "rape!" "this is problematic" and "ugh". You weren't there to witness the phenomenal degree of cancer that was /hsg/.

You don't fuckin know what it was like to watch something quriky, unique and close to your heart go to absolute garbage right before your very eyes.

I still get flashbacks from time to time

>characters that ruined the series

>WV started off as a quirky survivor who knew how to survive in a post apocalypse world.
>Revealed to have been a farmer who wanted a peaceful life away from war.
>Lead the uprising that was cut short by Jack's ascent.
>This causes him to suffer from survivors guilt and self esteem issues.
>Act 6
>He's now half as tall as he used to be, totally voiceless and has been adpoted as Dave and Karkat's precious widdle baby for them to coddle.

Yes I'm still upset

in a sense he really did. introducing the trolls was a massive mistake

>when these two assholes are better characters than Jade
Really makes you think.

Karkat be quiet

But he's right.
Homestuck should be two stories.
One about the kids, the other about Alternia.

Homestuck should be just about the kids.

trolls had no reason to exist in the comic, period

adding them ruined everything

FUCK HOMESTUCK

This might be the first time I've agreed with someones opinion on when exactly Homestuck turned bad.

just depends on how you define bad
after game over was a sort "lost all potential" or "irredeemable" sort of bad as opposed to "often somewhat unpleasant to read"

I really liked most of Act 6 before that though. Even the kinda boring teen drama stuff were never really unpleasant to read, and it really hits an amazing stride after Trickster mode happens.

I agree with all this. They felt soulless and tired, but at the time, I thought the characters were going through rough times and things were going to get better.

But that didn't happen really. The different between pre-retcon and post-retcon act 6 was that pre-retcon, things could still be fixed. Post-retcon, the comic was ruined beyond repair.

This 100%. Homestuck could have had a screwy Act 7 but if the retcons and pandering didn't get so fucking bad near the end it could just be an 8/10 show with a bad ending like Gravity Falls or Samurai Jack. But the very existence of the retcons ruins the entire fucking comic beyond the point of redemption.

idk on one hand i definitely agree that the post game over stuff ruins everything, but on the other hand i love most of Homestuck so much. Like if i view it through the lens of 'the end never happened' it's still one of my favorite comics. I just finished a reread and it was pretty great.

you are a bro m8

In retrospect I started being disappointed in Homestuck back in 2011 at the start of Act 6; I just didn't really realize it was the beginning of a real decline until the retcon.

I think the first half runs through great, but Homestuck is a story built so strongly around narrative payoff (something something Ulysses of the internet), and because that narrative payoff for Act 6 never comes there's half of the story that just doesn't come together.

there was a palpable drop in my enthusiasm almost from the moment that Jane first appeared

I wonder what Hussie would say if you asked him what he learned about writing from Homestuck, now that it's finished.

Same for me. The difference was that back then, Homestuck had been so good, I was convinced it'd be worth it in the end.

I was wrong.

never pay more than $36.63 for a computer game

>actually adjusted for inflation
nerd

>Act 6 only turn bad after Game Over. and only because it got rushed.
This is true but a lot of people act like the entirety of Act 6 is a travesty because that's just how badly they were hurt by the post-Game Over downward spiral and the absolute joke of an ending. I don't blame them for lashing out.

>not going to the website that does it automatically

Yeah. Early act 6 had problems but it wasn't exactly a travesty.

Then again skipping over all the character development over the three year trip for all the old characters is pretty fucking stupid. Made me mad even back then.

A timeskip has never been done in a satisfying way, to my knowledge.

Act 6 just really sucks because it's a complete break from the story that came before it. Like I do think there are circumstances where you can change out the main character without fucking up the pacing, but the new main character should be someone the reader already knows, or at least someone who regularly interacts with other main characters.

Abruptly starting over from square one after the climax of a long run of rising action was a huge mistake IMO.

Agreed. To be fair, Act 5 did exactly the same thing. But at least after hivebent was over, we connected everything together and picked up where we left off. With Act 6, we just left our old characters alone to go trough drastic changes off screen. Who the fuck thinks that's a good writing idea?

just realized the other day that reading homestuck was a gigantic waste of my time
now i only read good webcomics

If we're talking just a few years (as in Homestuck), I think there's a lot, they just don't feel like timeskips because not much changes and the main characters are still around (mostly).

Are fantrolls kino?

it's true

I guess Hussie is just physically incapable of doing falling action, just rising action and sudden drops. That's why Act 7 sucked so bad too.

Zoids: Chaotic Century?

At least AR escaped that fate thanks to dying. And a permanent death at that.

You only read Problem Sleuth?

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding

Exactly where Homestuck died. The exact place.

Act 5 Act 2 was the peak of /hsg/

If you don't remember epic mafia link spamming you aren't a REAL homestuck fan

Poor old Slick.

>gristmas is dead
why live
it doesn't get better you just become more used to the pain

It's all dead, user. We're in the Hell End now. The fun is done, the world is ending, and everyone wants to die.

i wouldn't waste my time with any hussie project

what webcomics do you read then
achewood hasn't updated in months

The only one I read now is It Hurts, and it's on the next to last comic before it ends, so after that, goodbye webcomics

I won't miss them

the only one worth reading currently

this was the best

Why the fuck did you create a new thread when there was already one here..?