Search/Destroy: A Strontium Dog Fan Film

About fucking time! From the team that brought you "Judge Minty", it's "Search/Destroy", a fan-film about the deadliest mutant in the universe: Johnny Alpha!
youtube.com/watch?v=i5EZaO1HPF4

Created by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra (who also created Judge Dredd) for 2000AD's sister title "Starlord", Alpha is a mutant given bizarre powers by strontium-90 showers during the great atomic war of 2150. Shunned as an outcast and hardened by a life of misery, he works as a bounty hunter for the Search/Destroy Agency, the only place in the universe where mutants like him can get a job. Accompanied by his normal partner and time-travelling viking Wulf Sternhammer, he unleashes his ghastly powers and dazzling array of high-tech weaponry on the scum of the universe... for a price!

Gonna celebrate the occasion with a storytime of the early years of Strontium Dog, all the way from 1978!

>Starting reading the series
>This comes out

Pretty good life lads.

A little bit of history along the way: "Starlord" was originally devised by Steve MacManus, then co-editor of 2000AD, as a higher-end, glossier, monthly "evolution" of 2000AD. The idea being that the 6-10 year old kids who grew too old for the weekly would move towards Starlord.

This also reflected in the stories, which MacManus wanted to have a more euro sci-fi feel, closer to Metal Hurlant/Heavy Metal than the heavily TV/movie-influenced stories of 2000AD. Higher quality stock paper was also to be used, taking advantage of the monthly frequency.

Unfortunately for MacManus, the higher ups at Fleetway got cold feet at the last minute and demanded that Starlord be made a weekly, with the same shit quality paper as 2000AD.

This wasn't unusual at the time either: the idea was to put out a new weekly, see if it struck a chord, and if it didn't, just merge it with another, more successful weekly and get double the readership (in theory).

Which is exactly what happened to Starlord just one year after it started, getting merged into 2000AD.

Happy days are here to stay!

As for the strip itself, Wagner and Ezquerra have always felt a bit closer to it than Dredd, since the latter had a very rocky start that saw both of them walk away from it before it even started.

Dog, meanwhile, was Wagner and Ezquerra's child from the start, and has remained as such for pretty much all of its existence.

Eventually, Alan Grant also joined the team, as he did with Dredd.

Wagner has also said he enjoys the more relative freedom SD gives him in terms of setting and especially in character development.

It took over a decade for Wagner to start seeing Dredd as capable of having more than two dimensions, but Alpha was always a more human, immediately likeable character.

And of course, Ezquerra definitely enjoyed being able to draw crazy starships and weirdo planets and strange euro sci-fi fashion. There are bits of SD that might as well be renamed Hats: The Comic.

bump

The way Johnny is treated can get repetitive.

This one's a personal favorite.

That's something that really improved once they made the jump to 2000AD and started introducing some more Dogs. At last, some people who DON'T treat Johnny like dogshit,

Spoiler for the short: I am so fucking happy they got the laser-whip in there.

And now, a couple of guest artists. First up, Brendan McCarthy...

Bump.

... And now, some Ian Gibson!

And now, Ezquerra rejoins the strip for the last Strontium Dog published in Starlord!

And that's it for Strontium Dog in Starlord! Hope you enjoyed the storytime, and that it cleared up some of the stuff you may've seen in the fanfilm!

Donald Bumpf

That's really well put together for a fan film. Hitting all the beats for a S/D story plus some nice fan service (Kid Knee, Durham Red, electro-nux)

Makes me wonder if we'll see a Johnny Alpha on the small screen if theDredd series does well

Funny story: Durham Red's actress, Integra, also played Anderson in Judge Minty. And Edmund Dehn played Minty and the Colonel here.
And yeah, it's really cool how much shit they got in there.

I always found Strontium Dog much harder to get into than Dredd, because if you don't want to read Dredd from Casefiles 1, you can pick up The Pit, or America, or some random prog and read a little diddy to get the taste for it.

With the Stronts, I read from Agency Files 1 and wasn't really nabbed by the story outright, skipped to 2 and liked the character depth Alpha's origin story gave, but now I'm bored and looking to get more into the ensemble cast, mission-based stuff, but looking for something later, when Wagner and Ezquerra have more of a grip on characters and are looking to expand them and their world. Where do I go for this, when does the series hit its stride?

>Judge user's IRL waifu

She's honestly pretty great.

Honestly, the problem is that there's not much in the way of expanding the world from Wagner/Grant, because after The Final Solution they both left the strip. Garth Ennis took the baton and did a handful of stories about other characters, and there was a Tales from the Doghouse short run of small stories by other writers, but SD by and large just doesn't have the sheer volume of spinoffs Dredd has. There is a Durham Red spinoff that's pretty cool, but it's also a lot different from SD.
tl;dr: just keep reading the Agency Files and maybe check out the Red series.

Any recommended SD arcs? Not necessarily Wagner and Ezquerra, I just thought they'd been writing it since the outset, if later writers stories are better, then I'll check those out.

I like the attention to the classic look of these characters even if it isn't necessary the one I like most.

I am in the camp of that whole "Dan Abnett rips off 40k" """conclusion""" to Durham Red is a heap of shit though.