Are Superheroes that can stretch considered outdated now?

Are Superheroes that can stretch considered outdated now?

It is seen as a goofy power of a bygone era, like talking to animals

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hAe8Nwjl5T4
youtube.com/watch?v=BMxrW_-5IKk
youtube.com/watch?v=BjJ711786Uk
youtube.com/watch?v=yhF2W9mA7CE
youtube.com/watch?v=tQdLmBsTReI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nah, you just can't do that much with strechy powers at first sight. Making a strechy guy threatening requiers a shit ton of creativity and some asspulls.

Stretchiness is never outdated

yea.......no

Luffy is the only good example.

And seriously, it depends how creative the writer is.

Mr fantastic can't do that, can he?

>good

They should all logically have regenerative powers

Could Luffy beat Plastic Man?

Plastic man is basically a Logia on drugs, I think he takes it easily.

Yes

>Yes

Not him but it was neat usage of magic rubber powers until Gear 3. Then all that haki shit made everything stupid.

incorrect

Agree.
Gear 2 was stupid since it's a half assed explanation how this is connected with rubber.
It's just Kaioken pirate edition.

Plastic Man is literary unbeatable and immune against all kinds of attacks. Even if you throw him into space, he would just turn into a fart propelled rocket and come back. Even then, you would need to touch him, which is a bad idea because he would just play the hentai game and kill you from the inside. Even reality warping would do jack shit because e is immune against this shit. The only way to beat him is to immobilize him with acetone then throw him into a different dimension where nothing exists and even then I think he will find a way to bullshit himself out.

Didn't he die in the Injustice universe?

I don't think so, since Haki isn't perfect for luffy 4th gear is pretty creative way tp use it. Since regular Haki is like hitting steel, luffy puts that in his rubber making it stretchy steel. Since since that kai is active it forces luffy to bounce, he can't stand still. It's got its own weakness but it's like pinball but with out the machine to knock the ball around.
Plus the design is awesome for what Oda creates.

so freezing him or since he's in the vacuum of space wouldn't he die anyways?

He could do with an updated design.

No. It's just that writers can't use powers creatively.

He would survive this.

Pretty much. Usually they need an ensemble of characters with more interesting powers to keep the story engaging, whether it be enemies or allies.

I don't disagree, but there's a logic to him not bothering since a shapeshifter would find simplicity preferable. He could honestly go full Manhattan and just make himself one red humanoid but Patrick, being Patrick, likes to have some personality.

>more interesting powers
Can I argue that stretchiness is probably one of the best possible designs for a superpower?

>simple concept
>versatile yet limited
>has many uses outside of just fighting
>its function and limitations read extremely well visually (e.g. you can tell the character's stretching himself too thin)
>fun to see in action esp. animated

If anything they should stop making flying bricks

It's the only way to handle stories with fluctuating power levels. Stretching is entirely pointless if your strongest punch can't kill the enemy. And you'd have to tone back the scale of the conflict too, let's say Darkseid's only power was stretching, they could beat him by getting 50 resident superheroes to hide around a corner and cutting his outstretched limbs off.

No. Broke his son out of jail and disappeared, never to be heard from again.

and now I'm imagining a universe where Plastic Man has usurped Darkseid

It depends how far in the strech powers you want to go
Make your character essentially rubber and you can make them do all sorth of crazy shit and never get hurt by getting hit at all
For example he could shoot himself because he is elastic against the bad guy and since that doesn't hurt him it's all fine

The problem has always been fluctuating power levels tho. Of course once your villain is all powerful cosmic entity you're gonna need DBZ tier powers to fight it, but all creativity and fun go out of the window.

See The Incredibles, it's just a villain with a bunch of gravity gizmos and a really tough robot vs. an interesting set of powers. Even Mr. Incredible is just really strong, but not Superman strong.

A universe where Plastic Man has wrapped himself throughout Darkseids body and controls him like a suit of armour.

Talking to animals is seen as a terrifying superpower in North Korea. The children there actually, literally believe that Kim Jong can talk to mice because that's what they're taught there- to keep them to behave and shit- OR ELSE.

Or imagine some serial killer who can talk to animals.
Every bird his witness, every dog and stray cat his ally. Where would you hide?

>tfw they teach North Koreans that Kim's father "created the universe"

The thing is, strechers can punch hard. They don't need to care about the knockback as they can absorb it and they can punch you as fast as they can stretch. If they punch fast enought, they can be extremly threatening for the big guys.

Also the web serial Worm has a pretty good take on a main character who can control bugs, and she does pretty cool / horrifying things with them.

HAHAHAHAHA-HA
MAMAMAMA-MAMA

>Serial killer can talk to animals.
>All animals just want to talk about the best spots to find food.

Mihawks is like the epitome of power levels in One Piece though

they are never outdated

Seems useful. Outside of pyongyang most people eat grass to survive.

>they can be extremly threatening for the big guys.
4u

If I wanted to read thousands of pages of traumatic depression inducing events, I'd just write a diary.

He can't even turn into a bicycle

Luffy is probably the most deadly application of stretching powers seen in fiction. With some creativity I bet someone could come up with something fresh involving it.

someone got that one where Mr. Fantastic goes insane cause he thinks everything is Plastic man

You misunderstood me, even gear 3 was already shit.

>Since regular Haki is like hitting steel, luffy puts that in his rubber making it stretchy steel.
That's the opposite of creative.

Also
>Since since that kai is active it forces luffy to bounce, he can't stand still. It's got its own weakness but it's like pinball but with out the machine to knock the ball around.
That looks lame and doesn't work well with the artstyle as actual stretchy powers.

>Plus the design is awesome
Fuck no.

nope but this era of suits makes the crossover hilarious. now imagine that infamous barda in elasticman dress but as susans uniform

Launching something hard from a distance at high velocity is how an actual gun works though. It's brilliant.

>it's a half assed explanation how this is connected with rubber.
"Heart and blood vessels get stretchy which increases speed and power" makes a lot more sense than most of what happens after it.

Seriously, stretchy bones full of air suddenly hit like they weight 800 tons because reasons?

Luffy is op

youtube.com/watch?v=hAe8Nwjl5T4

Im pretty sure haki can kill plastic man. Its OP's hacks against logia.

>Plastic Man
>logia
Stop. He can't control the environment and turn everything into rubber.

>Launching something hard from a distance at high velocity is how an actual gun works though
No shit. That's also how flying bricks work, and they're really a dime a dozen.

Why does stretchy powers make him a bullet again? Oh right, that dumb haki shit that makes everyone who had unique powers become a brick with passive telepathy now.

A regular human fist can barely break wood, what superhero characters don't have abnormally hard fists? Hell, even punching a guy in the face will most likely make you break a finger.

but his awaken devil fruit power probably could.

>Why does stretchy powers make him a bullet again?
Not that user but what sets Luffy apart from a lot of stretchy power guys is that he's got much more...I think the term is tensile resistance? Like, snapback?

Whereas Reed or Plas can just kinda stick their arm out and hold it there Luffy's actually gotta pull it back or forward and that's where the velocity comes from.

it won't you're just a shit fighter

>Thread turned into the science of stretch as applied to different characters

this is actually pretty fucking cool.

Ever been hit by a car tire? It's just rubber full of air.

He seemed to be able to break wood and punch people just fine before Haki. Obviously the rules of this universe are different.

Well yeah, like a slighshot, not the projectile of a slingshot.

I guess you could argue that makes him a superball but again I really don't think that looks as cool as other stretchy powers.

It's either mounted on a wheel (so not just air) or not actually pumped with air.

I fail to see your argument anyway, car tires can hurt people but then so can pretty much literally anything.

Also no, I haven't, what backwards sports do they play where you're from where it's a common occurence?

Whatever riding inside a tractor tire is called.
Sure, tractor tire is thicker, but so are Luffys bones.

A feather can suddenly hit like it weights 800 tons if it is fast enought. You can also nuke things with a feather if it is fast enought. Speed allows you to bullshit around these weight issues easily.

>Well yeah, like a slighshot, not the projectile of a slingshot.
More like a rubber band or a flail, really. Getting snapped with one of those can sting, so multiply that by a couple orders of magnitude and it'd feel like getting shot.

youtube.com/watch?v=BMxrW_-5IKk

Apparently it's called the inner tube in English.
Even then I don't think you could make one big enough to knock down a wall. Hell even if you throw a normal one on a human it will knock them down because of the momentum but the hit won't hurt anything but cartilage.

I guess it sort of makes sense in a world where Luffy's hands could already break hard surfaces but idk, it just looks too fucking goofy to me when his big baloon limbs break entire buildings. Maybe it's because the "pumping my bicep by blowing into my thumb" is an old dad joke.

Not really if the thing you throw is too britsle.
You can throw a pillow as hard as technologically possible at a wall and the wall will stay the fuck there.

Well yeah that's how his normal powers work, the whole bouncing thing doesn't have the same use of momentum.

If speed is so good, why doesn't Kizaru just go back in time and make Luffy's pregnant mom fall down a set of stairs?

More like "western cartoon" joke.
Oda takes plenty of notes from west.

I was taking about riding down a hill inside the outer tube like some hillbilly idiot.

I see, but then that's again not pumped with air, it's only its weight that does the damage.

>When normies try to support capes

youtube.com/watch?v=BjJ711786Uk

Not even Hitler deserves this.

Unironically got to me

That's honesly my favorite aspect of One Piece.

youtube.com/watch?v=yhF2W9mA7CE

Luffy is made of rubber and his body want's to keep it's shape. That's why when he tried to use gum gum pistol as a kid it was limp and didn't go far because he didn't have the strength to stretch.

How come Kamala doesn't do anything cool with her stretchiness?

>"Heart and blood vessels get stretchy which increases speed and power"
That is NOT how blood works. Even for capeshit/manga that is nonsense and bullshit.

youtube.com/watch?v=tQdLmBsTReI
Look at 1:08. That's how Gear 2 Supposedly works.

Because he doesn't have superspeed, he can turn into light and move as a light beam.

It's just doping.

>blood delivers oxygen to muscles for them to function
>stretchier heart and blood vessels make blood flow faster and thus deliver more oxygen per unit of time
>muscles work in turbo mode
I don't know man, seems like perfectly sensible pseudoscience to me. Makes more sense than Pym particles or half of Reed's inventions.

What's your opposition to it?

Mine too. Well, was. People complain about Luffys gears but making Usopp a plant user instead of the trickster/sniper he was shaping up to be was the worst change to me.

>plant user

Odd way of spelling "god"

I dropped at the end of Dressrosa but honesly it felt like it was going downhill ever after Water 7/Enies Lobby.

>What's your opposition to it?
I know medicine.

I picked up One Piece again after Dressrosa ended.

>dude Alabasta 2.0 what if Crocodile owns the country lmao
Holy shit, Oda

Ok Chopper-kun, could you expand on that?
Because it's pseudoscience that makes more sense to the layman than most pseudoscience I've seen.

At least there were a couple of neat characters in the gladiator tournament but yeah, it was Alabasta 2: now drawn out to death.

That's gold

Is One Piece worth reading?

>Hasn't seen Zou yet

Don't be crusin' for spoilers

No, if you read it you're going to hate it. But if you stick with it you're going to love it. Took me like 4 years to warm up to one piece.

Only after you finish Hajime no Ippo and Dragon ball's entire manga series.

I don't care about spoilers.
>inb4 some character dies
Whoopdee-fucking-doo.

Is it any good?

Fuck yeah. Way more compact too, Oda must've realized how fucking slow Dressrosa was.

Not that I disagree (Dressrosa dragged constantly and was easily the weakest arc since Skypiea) but is your argument really "dude le meme lmao"? Because I've seen 5-year-olds who can better articulate what they disliked about something.

Now I remember I've read the first couple of... what's it called issues?
It did seem to be better, maybe I'll grab it back.

But I don't have all that time left to live

We find out how to get to Raftel.
We meet a real ninja.
Friends of said ninja created the poneglyphs
FURRIES EVERYWHERE.