Fox has formalized plans for Dark Phoenix, the next installment of the X-Men franchise. This all just happened...

>Fox has formalized plans for Dark Phoenix, the next installment of the X-Men franchise. This all just happened, but they’ve set Simon Kinberg as director (long rumored), and the studio set a release date of November 2, 2018. Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Nicholas Hoult, Alexandra Shipp, Sophie Turner, Tye Sheridan, and Kodi Smit-McPhee are all reprising when production begins in Montreal.

>At the same time, Jessica Chastain is in talk to join the cast as the main villain, Shi’ar Empress Lilandra.

>Kinberg is producing with Bryan Singer, Hutch Parker and Lauren Shuler Donner. This is a huge moment for Kinberg, who gets his turn behind the camera after serving as a creative backbone for the X-Men franchise films since writing 2006’s X: Men: The Last Stand; he wrote and produced X-Men: Days Of Future Past, and X-Men: Apocalypse. He is making his directorial debut, but knows the mythology like the back of his hand. Kinberg has been a producer on the spinoff Deadpool and its currently shooting sequel, as well as X-Men: The New Mutants and X-Men: First Class.

Apparently a special point is being made to refer to Lilandra as the VILLAIN.

Other urls found in this thread:

screenrant.com/new-mutants-warlock-motion-capture/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That's Mystique, Magneto, Xavier. Beast, Storm, Jean, Cyclops and Nightcrawler all returning btw

I feel like the X-Men films are just burning whatever big stories they have left.

>Singer gone before Dark Phoenix again

>Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Nicholas Hoult, Alexandra Shipp, Sophie Turner, Tye Sheridan, and Kodi Smit-McPhee are all reprising when production begins in Montreal.
>Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy
>Jennifer Lawrence
>Michael Fassbender
>James McAvoy

Oh boy! I can't wait for Mystique, Prof X, and Magneto to take up 99% of the screentime!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Fox!!!!!

(That's Sarcasm btw)

How do we stop her?

>More Jennifer Lawrence
Burn it all to ground.

Salsa can't cut it.

Dark Phoenix is a fundamentally anti-feminist story

>girl gets power
>embraces sexuality
>goes crazy and has to be put down

So of course it'll be changed

Magneto and Prof X's struggle for the soul of Wolverine/Blue-titty-verine is literally all they know at this point.

>has to be put down
Wrong, none of them can bring themselves to do it. Jean kills herself as the ultimate sacrifice to save the lives of her friends. The whole Phoenix story is Jean's story, not Cyclops losing his girlfriend.

Also she didn't just go crazy, she was driven insane by the manipulations of The Hellfire Club specifically Mastermind, which you could spin as the bondage of a patriarchal society repressing women since in the Hellfire Club all the men wear suits and the women dress in essentially fetish gear.

Chastain is literally the hottest woman.

>being so perma-triggered your response to the announcement of a movie's existence is to make up something to get triggered about.

House of M, a real Age of Apocalypse, they can also do things with Genosha, the Brood, Mojo ...

I can't wait for Jean and Scott to be background characters in their own movie while Mystique and Magneto take center stage....

>and Nightcrawler

Well shit, guess I've got to see this now. Even if he will inevitably get one second of screentime amidst all the Jennifer Lawrence.

>The whole Phoenix story is Jean's story, not Cyclops losing his girlfriend
Didn't say it was

But the Dark Phoenix plot is still about being lost to desires. See the first and last panel

and third panel

Mojo is almost certainly being saved for Legion

>Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Nicholas Hoult
Did they not learn from Apocalypse?

Is Quicksilver confirmed?

Apparently Warlock is going to be motion capture and they are looking for someone to play young Magik and maybe Karma.
screenrant.com/new-mutants-warlock-motion-capture/

Yeah, for five minute cameos and two to three lines of dialogue perhaps.

>Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Nicholas Hoult, Alexandra Shipp, Sophie Turner, Tye Sheridan, and Kodi Smit-McPhee are all reprising when production begins in Montreal.

That's going to be the main problem.

Getting big names back after the contracts they signed when they were little names expire is never cheap, so this will pay a lot more out; in essence, it's going to have the same problem that X3 had, where it needs to make a huge amount to be profitable just because there are so many actors returning as established characters, never mind that some of them can individually command huge fees.

The secondary problem is that it's an admission FOX has no faith in the younger cast members to carry the franchise going forward, meaning they're probably getting sidelined, literally-anybody-in-a-Wolverine-movie style. Which means a decade of Mystique movies, assuming FOX doesn't just give up on the X-Men altogether.

Kinberg's probably a solid choice, but this thing sounds like poison.

>young Magik
they will do the entire plot of Magik with the demons and all that?

Doing Dark Phoenix when we just introduced Jean in the last movie as a supporting character is stupid and pointless and is emblematic of the backwards way comic book movies are made.

It would actually make more sense to make fucking Mystique the Phoenix at this point because at least her sacrifice would have weight to it after spending three movies getting to know her and her importance to the other characters.

This is fucked up but I love Jessica Chastain so I'm in i guess

but it sounds like a clusterfuck, for one thing lilandra isn't the villain? and we haven't had jean around long enough

Wonder how birdlady they're gonna make her

FOR THE LOVE OF FUCK MAGNETO'S ARC IS FINISHED

THEY FINISH HIS ARC IN EVERY MOVIE BUT THEY DOUBLE TRIPLE QUADRUPLE SUPER MEGA FINISHED IT IN APOCALYPSE.

>people were praising his story in Apocalypse
>when it's literally just a rehash of the same shit he deals with in every fucking movie

When will the Fassbender meme die?

>Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender
The worst parts of Apocalypse being the focus yet again.

>Jennifer Lawrence
Stopped reading there. I refuse to see another X-men comic where she's hogging screentime.

>Jessica Chastain is in talk to join the cast as the main villain, Shi’ar Empress Lilandra.
Yes, the main villain. Until Magneto steps in as the Real Main Villain and shows her up. AGAIN.

I thought Jennifer Lawrence was done with the franchise?

>FOX doesn't just give up on the X-Men altogether
Would that be so bad? It would mean no more shitty FoX-Men movies.
Heck, I would love it if Marvel Studios got the rights back honestly.

Remember how mad we were for years that it was Wolverine and the X-Men and not the X-Men?

Now it's fucking Fat Face Hacky Fanfic Mystique and the X-Men instead and based Jackman is retired. Careful what you wish for.

>Raphael and Magneto both get the same subplot in every movie
Man, why are people so lazy?

Why? The MCU manages to balance out their heroes. Captain America, Iron Man, Ant-Man, Thor, and Star-Lord get enough screen time and movies for each other.

Don't see why Fox can't do the same. :/

Hasn't her big Hollywood push dried up, or at least it's starting to ever since the Hunger Games stuff ended?

>Jennifer Lawrence
Already dropped.

>Mystique again
Fuck off.

I'm guessing they'll start off with Jean already being mentally unstable and Charles out of ideas. Probably have her isolated after she nearly killed a couple of people. There's no way Lilandra can be the villain, though. That's just dumb.

>Jennifer Lawrence is returning
>they didn't recast Sophie Turner who was fucking AWFUL and is now the main character of the next movie
>Lilandra is a villain

>it's another mystique movie

Why is Sophie Turner back? Did anyone working on the movie watch her acting and listen to her English accent?

Chastain as Jean Grey pls

I would be so erect

YAASSSSSSSS

Was dark phoenix good in the comics?

>girl gets taken over by dark power
>starts exploding shit and orgasming in the process
Why do you do this to me

Why the fuck are you on this board if you don't know Dark Phoenix Saga?

It's Capes 101.

I don't give two fucks about jean, that's why, faggot.

Probably. Her last movie 'Passengers' bombed hard. And she was paid the most in it. She was suppose to be one of the big draws.

>paid the most
I mean there were 4 actors in the damn thing that's not really a fair point

I actually liked that movie. I didnt pay to see it though.

No way. She's still one of the highest paid stars and still probably has top 5 marquee value in the industry. She's gonna need quite a few more bombs before she's done.

Good. Tell the damn stories and fuck off already. How many of these things do we need?

Sounds terrible.

They should just make Deadpool leader of the X-Men already.

Pretty hype to watch Chastain BTFO JLaw despite almost being old enough to be her mom

Pleasantly surprised to see so many pissed about McAvoy and Fassbender returning, I thought everyone raved about them.

They're great actors with great chemistry but the characters have been fully explored.

Fucking Lawrence. She wanted out of the franchise when she was famous but now that her pussy's dried up she's back again.

Where's Quicksilver tho? He's been the best part of the new movies apart from Mcavoy and Fassbender

Choke on a dick, disneyshill

Fassbender is a shitty actor. He's almost as bad as Tom Hardy.

Umad, FoxEmployee?

>Simon Kinberg as director

Confirmed shit (as if there was any doubt of that anyhow)

What is it about the X-Men films that makes it impossible for these fuckers to give equal amount of attention to the characters? Anyone who isn't Xavier, Magneto, Mystique, sniktbub, the villain of the movie, and arguably Jean seems to only exist to show off powers and nothing else.

Fucking stop paying attention to these drawn out fuckers and focus on other mutants, you fucking hacks.

I remember hype for Apocalypse than we saw that Cyclops wasn't in the front of the cardboard thingy and Jubilee was nowhere to be found. Still found it surprisingly enjoyable.

That's the best you could come up with? The house of mouse continues to show how creatively bankrupt it is. Go remake Kung Fu Panda in live action

Well, at least Nightcrawler's back.

>Jennifer Lawrence...reprising
sad!

>Same guy that wrote the last Dark Phoenix movie but this time he gets to direct too!

ffs

Yeah, he better loose that haircut though

>people were praising his story in Apocalypse

I really don't want to believe this

this

simon kinberg is fucking hot garbage. how the fuck does he keep getting work?

>Don't see why Fox can't do the same. :/
bc disney/marvel has sub-franchises of a big franchise. there the MCU, but then there's Iron Man, Captain america, Hulk, Gotg, Doctor Strange, etc

Fox has X-men and Wolverine.
see the difference?

see

>simon kinberg is fucking hot garbage. how the fuck does he keep getting work?
cause the films make bank

inb4 fox realizes they have a cooler property than gotg with the starjammers

To be fair to Kinberg he's been a producer through the entire series X-Men along with Singer so he deserves credit for the good shit as well as the bad. The First Class relaunch with McAvoy and Fassbender was his idea.

Unfortunately he was the guy that was supposed to "save" X-Men 3 when Singer left at F4 when Trank Tranked himself and both turned out like dogshit.

>despite almost being old enough to be her mom

Did your mom have you when she was 13?

>Cyke's thoughts spell out slashes
>Piotr shouts "Lenin's Ghost"
>whoumph!
Much to love about this page

He also wrote the Fan4stic movie! Oh joy!

You're overestimating the importance of the producer role. Producers are studio men who are there to keep everything on track so the director/talent don't shit the bed.

Him being there barely affects the final film, and that shows given the state of X3/Apocalypse.

>implying Twinkcrawler isn't perfect the way he is

To be fair, one of those people was Jeremy Jahns.

X-Men is not a character. It's a team composed of thousands of members throughout the years. Each one that could have their own movie and Miles for money if in the right competent hands (aka not Fox's).

I mean for god's sake, Marvel Studios made a movie about a talking Raccoon. And it made billions of dollars. And he's still alive.
And yet Fox can't make a Gambit movie? Or a Cyclops movie? Or a Psylocke movie?
They have so many characters and yet they don't know what to do with them! At least Sony had the excuse of only having Spidey-related characters.

>What is Gambit and New Mutants
I mean this should've happened a long time ago but its happening.

Because capes are shit

It was a good story, whats the problem?

Whats up with the markings? Is it to give him more detail?

>Disney
>Ever getting the rights to the mutants back

It's just a rehash of what Magneto always goes through. You can't have him lose his family, go bitter and evil, then become ambiguously good over and over without it getting tired.

It was self cutting or something in X2, in the current timeline it's probably just for aesthetic.

What do you think the word almost means?

in X2 is was religious

>X-Men is not a character.
did you miss the point?

Why do the x-movies suck so bad?
>Mystique
She is not a major character. Period. I know they're really proud of how easy it is to paint a character like a green screen and use leftover effects from Micheal Jackson's Black and White video, but they need to be done with Mystique, like, two films ago. It ain't happening with Jlaw in the role though...
>Wolverine
We get it.
>Prof X and Magneto
While these characters are important, theier relationship does not need to be at the center of every film.
>Casting
You can tell these movies are produced by gay pedophiles. Just look at the cast. Women with gay-friendly aesthetics, young twinky boys, and older (some closeted) gay actors. Storm was cast fine in the last movie, but that leads me to...
>"Demoted to henchman. Also probably mind control."
Bane from Batman & Robin. Scorpion and Sub-Zero in Mortal Kombat. Sabertooth in X-Men. Storm and Angel in this one. One of my least favorite shortcuts. The prodcuers want to include a certain character, but they don't actually have anything for that character TO DO, so they just keep the image of the character around so they can use them in promotional material.
>the "effects"
They're clearly saving on overhead by reusing the exact same effects pipeline/team for 17 years. Everyone still flies as awkwardly as Storm did in the first film.

And don't forget to somehow make it all about Mysti- I mean Raven.

But well I just hope Gladiator is based.

Nothing. Not anymore.

You're overthinking shit. Claremont just likes bondage and he had a tendency to shove his fetishes onto the X-Men.

I've loved every single X-Men movie except Origins: Wolverine, and even that I enjoyed the first half.
This will probably be great. Not worried.

I'm sorry for all of you who are unhappy though. I really am.

Why must they keep on bringing back Jennifer Lawrence. She refuses to wear the makeup and she is easy to replace, she is a fucking shape changer