What does Sup Forums think of scarecrow?

What does Sup Forums think of scarecrow?

Good character, always liked the fear gas but most of the time they don't handle it right. I think his voice should always be something similar to either injustices or arkham Knights scarecrow not like asylums

Too scary. He should be less scary.

>A characters whose entire shtick is fear should be less scary
Uhh

He's cool but really just jobber

I remember during the 90s one of the writers had it that he knew Crane Style Kung Fu.

I feel like during the 90s everyone got some style of kung-fu though

I feel like his psychiatrist aspect isn't explored enough. I'd like to see him freak someone out just by talking to them, or gaslighting somebody into being constantly paranoid. I mean, we get stuff like that sometimes but it's usually him just using his gas.

im pretty sure he made two guys commit suicide just by talking to them

Do you guys think Batrogues should be good fighters? I'm not necessarily talking about them being kung fu masters but instead quit with the villains with the glass jaw.

MArvel's Scarecrow

Is he a good character in his own right?

And how does he stack up against Crane?

You literally have autism don't you.

It depends on the villain

Like, in Crane's case, I don't think he should. His whole thing is that he wants to frighten people. A guy who just scares everyone away to clear his path wouldn't really need to be good at combat. So I'm cool with him being physically outmatched by Batman

He's one of my favorite rogues and I'm glad he's been getting a bigger push lately.
Although I do wish they explored the aspect of him being a teacher a little more and brought some balance to the character. Too often it seems that he either has to be an ultra pathetic jobber, or an invincible demon without a personality. The best versions of Scarecrow to me are the ones that lie somewhere in between.

I really like this issue of The Batman Adventures where he gets so frustrated over the city's failing students that he comes up with a plan that turns the entire city illiterate, causing untold damage just to prove a point.

And at the end, he loses not because Batman stops him and beats him to a pulp, but because Robin appeals to him to stop the plan for the sake of his students.
It's silly but it's the justifiable kind of silly I think works for the character

Someone give Sadcrow a hug.

I'd love to borrow a few canisters of his fear gas and use it on people

Depends on the villains.
Masterminds like joker or Riddler? Nah leave them to cheap tactics of traps and tricks.
Hardasses like Penguin or Scarecrow or Two-face? Have them willing to get their hands bloody and maybe take a punch but nothing like a refined style.

I enjoy him but he's a bit of a one trick pony

>Cain and Abel in Crane's dream

That's a nice touch.

I think it depends on the villain. The Batman cartoon tried to turn everyone into a ninja and it was the dumbest shit. I think Batman, due to being so physically strong, should have cerebral enemies more often than not, but writers are lazy and don't want to put in the effort. Most of the time the rogues tend to be passable fighters.

Penguin, for example, used to get his hands dirty constantly and clash umbrellas with Batman, and his old backstory showed him training secretly for months so he could beat up his bullies. His willingness to be directly involved in his schemes was actually his weakness, as Batman pointed out, since he thought he was physically strong when he was really just an average fighter who could pummel people without experience.
Two-Face had retard strength in Batman TAS and since he doesn't have really have gimmick weapons or superpowers like the other rogues I wouldn't mind this trait being used more.

Obviously some characters need to be physical like Bane or Croc, and other like Riddler and Mad Hatter should be physically weak.
I think most rogues who aren't skinny schizo freaks should at least be half-decent fighters.

So what are the best Scarecrow stories?

Her has so much potential but so much of it is gutted by unimaginative writers.

Reassuring and comfortable to be around. Makes you feel safe

The fact that he doesn't feel fear except going against Batman and literally being a junkie about it is shit.

I've always liked Scarecrow who's just experimenting with shit. It's one of the few things I liked about Nolan's Scarecrow. Just a guy in a suit with a shitty mask on, until he releases the gas.

He relies too much on fear toxin, he needs more than just that.

Fear is the glue that holds society together.
Fear...is power.
And today it will also be quite expensive if you want the antidote

Physically weak mastermind villains do not work as reoccurring foes for Batman, you can only have a battle of wits once and if you lose it, that's it. Batman can not only beat you up but he's also smarter than you.

"Fear for Sale" and absolutely nothing else.

Problem is that every Scarecrow story is structured exactly the same.

>Scarecrow scares Batman
>Batman remembers MUH PARENTS and finds the resolve to overcome his fear
>Scarecrow is scared by Batman and gets arrested

You can set your fucking watch by it.

He's my favorite D.C. Villain, and I got sad when he didn't get a lot of time to use the yellow power ring.

>Fear is a fundamental force of the universe.
Geez that should would interest a scientist obsessed with fear. Better to make sure we never use him after we introduce the idea.

>Batman find the resolve to overcome the fear.
Not just Batman but basically anyone can overcome the fear gas.

Yeah. Everyone who isn't a nobody bystander does a I MUST FIGHT IT routine and overcomes his fear gas and beats him up. EVERYONE.

Scarecrow is the biggest jobber in Batman's rogues gallery.

It would be neat if the fear gas actually worked like a drug and you can't just shake it off.

I like him, but I feel he's just a tad overrated. His stories are great sure, and seeing Batman's nightmares is always a fucking trip, but I feel that Scarecrow can sometimes take up time that could have been used on other characters.

He has so much potential as a character but he gets squandered and underused far too often.

Scarecrow is the perfect example of a great Batman villain that's been ruined by having to keep coming back and getting reused.

The original Bill Finger stories were great, and Scarecrow Year One was great.

After that it's just either harping on the same tired gimmick or trying to do something "unique" with him that just ends up retarded.

Just let him be. His story is finished. Leave him in Arkham.

>physically weak mastermind villains don't work as reocurring foes because you can only have a battle of wits once
RIDDLE ME THIS: I am empty and yet full. I am cock and I am bull. Everyone uses me, and yet no one wants me.
What am I ?

Why won't anyone cut out his tongue?

His fear gas has some of the greatest potential of any plot vehicle in all of fiction. It is incredibly useful at exploring characters and their internal issues. Scarecrow himself is pretty meh though. He has little in the way of actual motivation or character. He is a very generic villain with a very useful and versatile gimmick. He basically exists to use the fear gas and fuck off into the background before getting a one sided beating at the very end. All attempts to change this have either failed or were not followed through on.

WRONG
The answer is a bullshit excuse, which is EXACTLY what your post is.
YUHEHEHEHEHEHEH

that a pretty female looking scarecrow in panel two there

I'm serious

I actually hoped he would keep the ring just to see how the fuck Batman is going to bullshit his way through that, but nope, Lex Luthor had to go fucking ruin everything.

I like Scarecrow, but there are several problems with the character that hold him back from truly being one of the great Batman villains.

Scarecrow's fear gas is an extremely interesting gimmick for a character, but the problem is that everything he does revolves around it. Most Batman villains tend to start off as gimmicks, yes, but usually, after sufficient development, they become actual characters who utilize the gimmick, and not the other way around. But Scarecrow's gas is everything there is to him most of the time. And when they try to deviate from it, we end up with shit like Scarebeast.
The other problem is that he lacks a connection with Batman that makes it worth bringing him back, which is what saves a lot of the more basic Batman villains. "Batman strikes fear into criminals so here's a character that weaponizes fear" is too basic and limited.
You make him a pathetic jobber, and the entire point of the character (he scares people) is moot. You make him too effective and invincible, he becomes uninteresting and his eventual losses stretch believability.

I feel like Scarecrow would benefit much better if he stopped being a Batman villain and ventured into other settings, because with Batman it doesn't seem like there's much else to be done with him. All his encounters with Batman are pretty much the same However, if he could terrorize other characters, maybe even a cast of younger characters ala-Freddy Kruger, then he could be used with more variation.
Hell, why not turn him into a more neutral figure instead of always a villain ? Fear affects everybody, even criminals. Why not write stories where Scarecrow ends up going after villains too in order to see what they are scared of ?
He could be like The Shadow, a villain that terrifies villains, but with goals rooted in scientific experimentation/the thrill of superiority.

Trips don't lie.