The weird VHS you had thread

ITT we talk about the weird vhs tapes we had when we were younger.

Actually had a few of these compilation tapes, this one and an other one I think had a Casper short and the other one a Superman short. I actually watched the shit out of these, I loved the classic toons when I was younger. My one friend had all these Betty Boop tapes and I would go over to his house and watch them all the time. Actually we had the Betty Boop tape where she tries to go on vacation because of all the city noise.

So, what odd vhs tapes do you remember watching the shit out of?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cfHPjz8ZRU8
vcrfromheck.tumblr.com/post/66019388247/wonder-toons-cartoons-r-fun-1991-1996-part
vcrfromheck.tumblr.com/post/66024710841/wonder-toonscartoons-r-fun-1991-1996-part
youtube.com/watch?v=lQpagq_9CnA
youtube.com/watch?v=N-Oo3X_p_ws
youtu.be/UaanWXcVnWs
anime-games.co.uk/VHS/anime/flower-angel-hana-no-ko-lunlun.php
youtube.com/watch?v=u8tDbaKicSs
youtu.be/zFmf2HeTys8
youtu.be/VyuRHWnBkSc?t=32
youtube.com/watch?v=yEQsMu-cHx4
youtube.com/watch?v=cjdwjbgvkSU
youtube.com/watch?v=16zdI_0OjYo
youtube.com/watch?v=RdcgKNAdDao
youtube.com/watch?v=52EDXhQd6cc
youtube.com/watch?v=isbzfRh4za8
youtube.com/watch?v=9IdIoORhID8
youtube.com/watch?v=NK3GMtlDiZk
youtube.com/watch?v=w9HtOIzvA8U
youtube.com/watch?v=YqMKq3E3vPM
youtu.be/nrLhnHLpxmY
retrojunk.com/article/show/5038/the-radio-television-packagers-redrawns
youtube.com/watch?v=dUY7O6RCATg
youtube.com/watch?v=Vdwbv0l515Q
youtube.com/watch?v=3kdnyS8Ai6k
youtube.com/watch?v=wMpCtl7wQ3I
youtube.com/watch?v=Rgq8ZS7HtgU
youtube.com/watch?v=_WOEpo_RqPU
youtube.com/watch?v=ShgUBKXwyAg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I had a VHS of a German dub of Sport Billy which I watched a lot in my earliest years. A casual jewtube search reveals it to be a rather cheap cartoon, but I seem to remember some things.

On a more quality note back when I was about six dad rented a cartoon for me to watch while I was sick with the flu, and many, many years later I stumbled upon it again. It was this:

youtube.com/watch?v=cfHPjz8ZRU8

A Humpty Dumpty tape I can remember watching the shit out of.

"Greedy Humpty Dumpty," "Cheese Burglar," "Gabby Goes Fishing" and "Fresh Vegetables."

Each cartoon, as usual for a PD cartoon tape, was in shit-tier condition (not to say the cartoons were bad, it was the film quality).

Soon after the last cartoon's abrupt end, I heard some weird sound, like a kind of whisper. Then the tape stopped and it got rewound.

That's it.

I had this one that had some kind of stop motion sand creatures. They build up this huge town and then a storm comes and whips it all away.

It was that among so many other things. But I cannot remember for the life of me what it was called.

Nice

I kinda horde stuff so I have a few but Sup Forums related I have a VHS of a bunch of episodes of Dino Riders taped. Almost worn out

I also have a copy of Flight of Dragons I bought when I was an adult. Couldn't get it on DVD and doubt you can these days, or I would probably buy it again.

I had an official tape without a box of some really old merrie melodies, i remember one short was Daffy Duck screwing around in a hospital, another one had something to do with fishing. I lost it when I was a kid because I was retarded

Don't remember the name of the series or company, but I had two VHS tapes from them where the back listed all these cartoons and half of them weren't even on the tape. I remember one had Droopy as either someone in the circus or a bullfighter on the box and the other had Woody Woodpecker going over a waterfall in a barrel. Neither of these tapes had Droopy or Woody Woodpecker cartoons on them.

Sounds like a scene in The Adventures of Mark Twain called "The Mysterious Stranger".

vcrfromheck.tumblr.com/post/66019388247/wonder-toons-cartoons-r-fun-1991-1996-part

It's most definitely something else. the key word was sand. I've seen the mysterious stranger, good stuff but not what this was at all.

Damn you're good. This was definitely one of them.

The good old "recorded directly from TV" tapes where you'd have weird art-house movies your parents watched before your own movie so you had to wind the tape to the correct mark. Also, you'd get the odd 80s commercial break.

vcrfromheck.tumblr.com/post/66024710841/wonder-toonscartoons-r-fun-1991-1996-part

This one has the Woody Woodpecker tape you were thinking of.

I had an orange Little Bear tape. I guess I wouldn't call it weird, but those orange Nickelodeon tapes were cool.

Yes it was.

Also I feel compelled to check this.

>like a kind of whisper
Did most VHS tapes have this? I definitely remember some of my tapes had this "whisper" at the end before it completely stopped.

I remember hearing something like a phone dialing sound at the end of a lot of my tapes. It was very faint and I'd have to bring my ear up to the speaker, though.

Is humpty dumpty /ourguy/?
Sextuples confirms

>a lazy, rotund man that dresses up as a child and doesn't do what others tell him until it's too late and he's a broken shell lying in a puddle of his own sticky, white goo

It checks out.

"The Sand Castle", NFB Oscar winner, 1976

I had a couple over the years. The crown jewel of which was a 6-hour tape of an assortment of Looney Tunes, Famous Studios, Fleischer, and a few various shorts that are probably in public domain. The tape oddly enough had the same shorts I found on other tapes, in the exact same order no less. The tape was clearly a recording; it still had that tab on the side that could allow you to record over it. I found out the hard way when I recorded over a couple of places (the MM "An Itch in Time" and a couple of Casper cartoons).

I had the same on a couple of them. Strangely enough it happened on a few legit tapes (Disney Classics) at the beginning.

>The tape was clearly a recording; it still had that tab on the side that could allow you to record over it.
I had a LOT of public domain cartoon tapes like this. A sure sign that whoever put them out clearly didn't give two shits about quality.

Don't want to dig it out of my basement now but I have the first 2 or 3 M.A.S.K. episodes on VHS in German

Despite the quality, it was pretty amazing to see which old toons fell victim to the Public Domain tape craze. Like the Fleischer Superman shorts. I think even some Chuck Jones stuff got compromised.

Not only that, the conpanies really did not give two shits what they threw on these tapes together. Just look at the roster on OP's case. I actually had the same tape. I could at least make some sense of why the first three would go together but then Brave Molly came on and even as a kid I thought "what the fuck am I watching?"
I usuallu turned it off after getting my fill of the good stuff. I still sing that song in the Mild West.

I remember having a VHS compilation of all sorts of old Public domain cartoons. Among them was one of the "censored eleven" shorts called "All This and Rabbit Stew."

youtube.com/watch?v=lQpagq_9CnA

bump

when is Phelous reviewing that

Please help me find this.

I had this VHS tape with a really early, terrible CGI Christmas Special. I believe it was from 1996, because the box even had the nerve to say something like "Just Like Toy Story" or some shit. I saw it again at a thrift store a while back and regret not getting it.

I'm not thinking of Rhapsody Street Kids. That was worse.

Oh god damn I know exactly what you're talking about but can't remember the title right now. They used to sell the tapes of it on the discount movie rack in the Quik Chek

I don't think I've ever met anyone who's seen this.

I don't think the tapes I had were weird, but I do like remembering them fondly.

This shit was the best random vhs tape.

Why does the front label say Berenstain, while the side label says Berenstein?

I had the book as a kid. It was always funny because my younger brother was named Alex.

Because he posted it specifically to bait that question. Or maybe you did, and are now samefagging about it.

I had a Thomas the Tank Engine vhs that had some kind of weird audio error on it in one of the episodes. This must've been something with every copy because I was able to find a clip of it on youtube.

youtube.com/watch?v=N-Oo3X_p_ws

I guess this was audio from when they were filming that scene that ended up in the finished episode somehow? Weirded me out as a kid.

I had the disney Reluctant Dragon short on vhs. But just the animated short. I had no idea it was also part of a longer featurelength film about the animation process until much later. Which is probably for the best because I doubt I would've enjoyed sitting through the whole thing as a kid.

I had a tape of some cartoon set in Africa. I think it was made by actual africans. My mom says it was the only cartoon I watched for two years straight

Was it this?

Holy shit yeah. Was there a sequel or something?

Kind of reminds me when a voice outtake accidentally got left in the final version of Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

youtu.be/UaanWXcVnWs

Yeah, I think there are two Kirikous. It's by this Michel Ocelot guy. He generally does pretty good stuff.

I always wondered where in Africa it was set.

Somewhere in West Africa, according to wikipedia. Apparently the original dub was recorded in Dakar.

The guy that made the score is a Senegalese politician

I bought this at a video store fire sale when I was at about 9 or 10, expecting a cool movie about robot ninjas. What I got was an extremely low-budget, hyperviolent proto-"Kick-Ass" chock full of rape, murder and gunbarrels going through eyesockets which left me a little bit traumatized.

Apparently it's a borderline lost film because the director hated it movie so much he refused to allow it to be released on DVD. It now survives in the form of a dozen of VHS tapes scattered across the world. I still got mine.

My grandmother was a dentist and she sent this awful short film to me as a child. Wouldn't be surprised if it's buried with all of the other VHS tapes at my parents' place.

I had a Batman Beyond on tape, but it was in another language. We literally found it in my grandpa's basement and since he's dead we'll never know its story

>I bought this at a video store fire sale when I was at about 9 or 10, expecting a cool movie about robot ninjas. What I got was an extremely low-budget, hyperviolent proto-"Kick-Ass" chock full of rape, murder and gunbarrels going through eyesockets which left me a little bit traumatized.
>Apparently it's a borderline lost film because the director hated it movie so much he refused to allow it to be released on DVD. It now survives in the form of a dozen of VHS tapes scattered across the world. I still got mine.
clearly you need to rip it and put it onto the internet to help preserve it

anime-games.co.uk/VHS/anime/flower-angel-hana-no-ko-lunlun.php
I think my version was Flower Angel. This whole thing was like a fever dream for a while, I was never quite sure it actually existed and the tape got chewed up and thrown out:

I remember basically nothing of it, though I do remember enough for the summary to make sense. (In particular the scene briefly mentioned with the guy on the railway line rescuing a weed.)

Technically Anime, but I won't tell anyone if you won't.

Saw these in elementary school.

>that art style
>that folk tale
Your parents must have fucking dreaded when you wanted to watch this. I hope they're not teetotalers.

You just reminded me of a VHS that my parents used to put on that had a bunch of live-action nursery rhymes, though. It was from the 80's or 90's and iirc super cheesy. Wish I could find it, but all I'm seeing from google are picture books and those weird ass superhero youtube vids.

Buy a vhs ripper device or send it to Red Letter Media. Do both.

Still got Ziggy's Gift around in the good ol' VHS collection.

As for things I watched the shit out of. Well, there were many, including Disney Sing Along Songs tapes, 101 Dalmatians, Goofy's All-Star Olympics, and Donald in Mathmagic Land.

Four (or maybe it was six) solid hours of anime-fried fairy tales and fables, from the super hilarious to the super depressing (link related)

youtube.com/watch?v=u8tDbaKicSs

Looking back, I have to wonder how public domain these cartoons (well, anime, but you get what I'm saying) really were, or if this was some form of grey market/bootleg deal.

Donald in Mathmagic Land is Patrician tier Disney.

I actually remember having a tape like this, it had one of the dubbed anime versions of the seven kids and the wolf.

youtu.be/zFmf2HeTys8
I think it was this one. Fucking brutal.

I had (still do in the attic I think) a VHS of the first three episodes of street sharks. It wasn't airing anymore by the time I found the tape so until I decided to look online I thought that's all there ever was. Still little me was obsessed with it.

Also I can't remember if it was a vhs or just a tv show but I remember watching a Hello Kitty cartoon when I was very little and everyone else in my house denied its existence, including my mom who was with me when I watched it.

I used to have this, actually. Gave it to a family member when I was downsizing my VHS collection.

midnite bump

Man, I swear to god we watched this particular tape about 3-5 times in elementary school. From time to time, I still get that fucking "Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines" song stuck in my head. If I recall correctly, none of the songs in this were even Disney related, so like what's the point?

I think I know that particular humoty dumpty cartoon. If my memory is correct humpty dumpty wanted a piece of the sun so he built his wall tall enough to reach it but then it came tumbling down

I distinctly remember having a VHS of this. I don't remember if this was ever released on VHS or if it was a recording though.

RIP Ringling

That's the one. It's been years since I've seen it but IIRC it was pretty horrifying when he finally reached the sun.

Oddly enough there's a whole bunch of these cartoons that I recall having VHS dubbed in Korean that I used to watch.
There was the humpty dumpty one. One where a king was paranoid of getting "shot". One with bees, another with ants. One with a cuckoo clock bird wanting to be a real bird. I forget some of them, like I think there was also one with a seal and one with a mouse going to a circus? There's just so many that I'm starting to recall now

OKAY I KNOW YOU GUYS CAN FIND THIS

It might've been two separate tapes, but it was a collection of animated shorts that I think were vaguely christmas themed. One was about Jack Frost turning fall into winter. Another was about some puppies. That's literally all I remember.

Have fun.

My poor fucking parents. I'm pretty sure they pretended to lose the tape.

We had a VHS with animations put to music by Paul and Linda McCartney. The first bit, which we watched repeatedly, was Rupert and the Frog Song. Later on the tape, however, was a trippy-ass music video for a song called "Oriental Nightfish." Get that behind your face.

There were a ton of those public domain Christmas cartoon compilations, most of them with the same few cartoons, but the two shorts you mentioned are Jack Frost (1934) and Hector's Hectic Life.

Probably this one then.

collection of black and white looney tunes cartoons
one was set in a bookstore but it wasnt book revue or have you got any castles. it had the same opening music as book revue though youtu.be/VyuRHWnBkSc?t=32
another had this really adventurous black duckling try sail out into the ocean but then a storm hits
another had daffy duck on trial for killing some other duck's egg

if anyone knows which looney tunes these are please help

I used to have a bunch of obscure British cartoons on tape, would’ve been the late 90s/early 00s so it was a while after they'd been on TV. Marvin in particular was pretty odd, seemed like a couple of pilots for a show that was never made.
Also had a few compilations of American public domain shorts, including one with a colourised version of The Impatient Patient and another with a knockoff Mickey Mouse short called The Office Boy.

youtube.com/watch?v=yEQsMu-cHx4

Still got it

When I was a kid I had a huge crossover of cartoons, it was some kind of anti vice campaign, or some shit like that. I was super fan of Garfield and TMNT when I was a kid, so I treasured that shit a lot.
Lost the VHS when I moved to another city, and could never find it in any store. Years later, I heard something like Jim Davis didn't gave the rights to use Garfield or something like that, so tapes were hard to come by.

I think this is what you're looking for?

Also I'm looking for a tape. It starred some weird creature (hippo thing?) off on an adventure with his flying mouse friend. All I can remember is that one of those characters is named Muffy, and it's been impossible to search for because of arthur.

I had this one.

youtube.com/watch?v=cjdwjbgvkSU

I only remembered it a little while ago, maybe I blocked it out of my memory

nvm found it

youtube.com/watch?v=16zdI_0OjYo

I had this one. Check out the godawful rap at 13 minutes in, as well as the cool footage of old Tomorrowland that follows shortly after. Before the central tower and track became dead empty space.

Oh yeah I remember this shit! Had to bring the colors back to the lady's suit or whatever

I had a big ugly black case with an unmarked tape. On the tape was a cartoon about a wolf chasing a rabbit through a construction site and then during the olympic games.

Then yeeears later I found out about Nu Pogodi through Sup Forums!

youtube.com/watch?v=RdcgKNAdDao

Another tape I had was Musical Mother Goose Rub-A-Dub-Dub which was nursery rhymes in a weird Terry Gilliam animation style...

youtube.com/watch?v=52EDXhQd6cc

And I remember these ones freaking me out when I was much younger. I don't know why my parents put them on so much.

youtube.com/watch?v=isbzfRh4za8
youtube.com/watch?v=9IdIoORhID8

And Disney's Robin Hood and Beauty and the Beast... I watched those more than anything.

I recognise Astro Farm and Portland Bill! I think Gran too.

I love this video. Not for the music, but it's like an official unintentional time capsule of when 90s Disney gave zero fucks and filmed at Disneyland all the time.

I remember I saw the that was just about the train and the crossover one where all the Wee Sing characters got on the train and had a party in the forest.

morning bump

I had two Fleischer Studios' tapes of cartoons, I remember this cartoon most of all.

youtube.com/watch?v=NK3GMtlDiZk

and the Humpty Dumpty one.
youtube.com/watch?v=w9HtOIzvA8U

Bump

Weird, I only knew of this Corsican Brothers

don't recommend it

I remember all the Fleischer stuff because it was always the cheap cartoons that were in the bargain bin for years at grocery stores and Wal-Mart. My parents bought one of their tapes full of holiday specials.

And I think they were the cheap cartoons to have appear on other shows like Pee Wee's Playhouse

youtube.com/watch?v=YqMKq3E3vPM

Not sure if related, but you reminded me of this one.

I still have a tape of the super mario brothers super show

Did it involve Moomins?

I'm actually not sure, I tried searching some Moomin stuff already but it may have been Moomins.

Also, nice trips.

The little bear's "I'm a grizzly bear!" just hit me with nostalgia. I had this on vhs too at one point.

It's always nice for me to be reminded that Astro Farm WASN'T just a bizarre fever dream I had. I watched the shit out of that as a kid. I remember Raggy Dolls too.

You're thinking of Magic Adventures of Mumfie.

It was british Smurfs, but with peas

youtu.be/nrLhnHLpxmY

Holy fucking christ this is it thank you!

I remember I had at least 3 or 4 tapes of these classic cartoons redrawn and colorized with new soundtracks (pic related was one of them).

Here's an article about them:

retrojunk.com/article/show/5038/the-radio-television-packagers-redrawns

And here are the actual cartoons:

youtube.com/watch?v=dUY7O6RCATg
youtube.com/watch?v=Vdwbv0l515Q
youtube.com/watch?v=3kdnyS8Ai6k
youtube.com/watch?v=wMpCtl7wQ3I
youtube.com/watch?v=Rgq8ZS7HtgU
youtube.com/watch?v=_WOEpo_RqPU
youtube.com/watch?v=ShgUBKXwyAg