Dr. Simon Hurt

What is his fucking problem?

Butthurt because the Waynes being nice to him ruined his edgelord head canon about how he was intelligent and nihilistic with a wicked sense of humor.

He's batshit insane.

He's literally the devil except not actually literally the devil he's actually the arch-daemon Barbatos but not really because he's really Thomas Wayne, but not that Thomas Wayne, because he's the Thomas Wayne from generations past, but also he was bonded to the Hyper-Adapter, which is a weapon that Darkseid sent into the past to fight Batman before he was born after he killed him but actually just sent him to the past.

Are other Batman writers even trying?

That's possibly a Donna Troy level of backstory fuckery.

Based Morrison

No? It's Batman, point proven commodity, why try when you can just churn out shit and it sells anyway?

I'm infuriated at your post, yet I respect it because I didn't see the meme coming

it's so good

Yes, most of them try for coherency.

tfw the best part of Snyder's Dark Nights is that it made you want to read Morrison again.

Devil = Satan = adversary
Bats were satanic symbols, that's why in the 30's batman was so spooky and he used the superticius and and omen words when the bat appeared.
That's why Darkseid turns the hyper fauna into a bat-dragon (another devilish symbol) to turn batman into a weapon of evil. Bruce takes the satanism and Evil from another time into just another superhero time in the present.

Morrison is fantastic and people should be ashamed of missing how fantastic he is.

He was in a really shitty story that Sup Forums only praises because they can't get the taste of Morrison's cock out of their mouths.

That's just a reuse of basic symbology.

he was driven insane by being incompletely bonded to a weapon from apocalypse.

>That's just a reuse of basic symbology.

Also known as the western canon

>Batman undergoing the Thogal ritual
>"It's as if there's nothing left but a deep, black well where my heart should be."
>Darkseid in Final Crisis
>"There is a black hole where my heart should be."
>Bruce flashing back further in the same issue
>"I must be around five when I first sense the presence of a gaping, toppling void in the center of existence. For the first time in my life, I suddenly grasp something. Mom and Dad are going to die. We're all going to die."
>Darkseid in Final Crisis literally BECOMES the Void At The Center of All Things, spitefully dispatches an aspect of himself as a meta-weapon to haunt Bruce forever
>Darkseid is both a literal entity and the embodiment of non-literal, existential death and despair as experienced by even the archetypal street level hero
POETRY
O
E
T
R
Y

I haven't been reading Dark Knights, but it seems like a whole lot of Snyder's Batman run has been a love letter to Morrison's. Which is weird, because Morrison's wasn't even that long ago.

>Batman R.I.P.- Batman faces a villain who leads a shadowy organization that has influenced Gotham for centuries. The villain is implied to be a Wayne.
>Court of Owls- Batman faces a villain who works for a shadowy organization that has influenced Gotham for centuries. The villain is implied to be a Wayne.

>Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth- Batman is forced to enter an Arkham Asylum that has been taken over by The Joker; implications about Batman being as psychologically disturbed as The Joker; The Joker makes sexual comments to Batman to make him uncomfortable because he's sexually repressed.
>Batman: Death of The Family- Batman is forced to enter an Arkham Asylum that has been taken over by The Joker. Arc revolves around Batman and The Joker having a special understanding of each other that Batman seems troubled about having because of what it implies about himself, and a bunch of psychobabble about them being "in love"

>Final Crisis- Batman dies, but not really
>Batman: Endgame- Batman dies, but not really

>Jimbats arc- Bruce loses his memories and lives happily without the responsibilities of being Batman
>Final Crisis- Inside Darkseid's contraption, Bruce experiences a dreamworld in which he was never Batman and could just be Bruce Wayne, free from those responsibilities

Heck, even in that DotF arc, the panel with Batman entering the Asylum looks like a homage to McKean's depiction of the same thing.

I love how Lovecraft it is.

I was being facetious in expressing how convoluted it is, but don't get me wrong, I fucking LOVE this shit.

Yes, that's 10 times more advanced than Johns or Hickman or any best seller illiterate.

Didn't Dr. Hurt also say that he is "the hole in things"?

And of course, he was one with the Hyper-Adapter, the hole meant to torment Batman.

There also seem to be connections between Morrison's other works. Like, the whole thing about dark voids and "holes" makes me think of Annihilator.

Once you read enough Morrison you realize that he reuses themes and concepts constantly, to the point where it becomes detrimental to his work. Simon Hurt and Vyndktvx are essentially the same character.

He writes in Supergods about how 9/11 made him accept that some motherfuckers just want to watch the world burn, and since then he's been as fascinated with grim nihilism as with romantic optimism, esp. pitting them against one another in superhero narratives.

This is why a lot of his work from New X-Men on gets criticized for having really nasty, apocalyptically evil, irredeemable villains, or of taking morally ambiguous villains and having them cross a moral rubicon. But I kinda respect that cuz it seems way easier to get brownie points with fanboys through moral ambiguity even if it's not consistent. As he put it, Magneto would be as charming as Ian McKellan IRL.

>As he put it, Magneto would be as charming as Ian McKellan IRL.
*WOULDN'T be as charming, d'oh

>As he put it, Magneto wouldn't be as charming as Ian McKellan IRL.

Why not? It's a weird thing to say when you consider how Magneto operates as a villain. He was always recruiting disciples and sympathizers. Ian McKellan's Magneto isn't as charming as Ian McKellan in real life, but that doesn't mean that Magneto, as presented, wouldn't be charming or at the very least compelling.

And really nasty, apocalyptically evil, irredeemable villains is a constant in Morrison's work long pre-dating 9/11 and is heavily rooted in the way he interprets superheroes as a genre. His villains aren't grimly nihilistic, they're annihilatory solipists.

I haven't read a lot of his most notable past works (The Filth, Invisibles, Doom Patrol, Animal Man, etc), so maybe I just haven't read enough to find his revisiting of concepts tiresome yet.

Even in just the Batman stuff alone, I love how some of the things in his ongoing run went back to his Batman shit from 20 years prior. In Arkham Asylum, they mention myths of a giant bat monster that stalked Gotham centuries ago. Then it turns out not to be a myth when we learn exactly what is was 20 years later. Both Arkham Asylum and Gothic had themes about the architecture of Gotham itself being thought to have a supernatural influence on people. In Batman & Robin, Dick and Damien examine clues in the architecture of Wayne Manor left by Bruce in the past.

It's not. You don't know what "Lovecraft" is because you've probably never read him.

>Snyder's Batman run has been a love letter to Morrison's

Yea... "love letter." That's one way of putting it.

Morrison is in a unique position that he's had multiple opportunities to work on Batman. Anything he left hanging could be revisited. It should be noted that the thing about the architecture having a supernatural influence is something he reused from his short-lived Aztek series. Morrison really isn't unique in doing this, Claremont and Engelhart are well-known for it too.

As for the revisiting, it's really prevalent after the early 00s, once you sit down and really pay attention while reading Seven Soldiers you'll find Final Crisis, his Batman run, his AC run, and a chunk of Multiversity far less enjoyable in retrospect.

Donna Troy's story was fucked over a period of years.

Hurt's story got to this level in the span of 6 months, under a single writer. God I love Morrison.

Eldritch horror at the center of creation, unknowable and beyond human comprehension, as beyond humanity as humanity is to an ant...

>unknowable and beyond human comprehension
If there was anyway to describe Morrison's version of the New Gods, that is not it.

Dr Simon Hurt aka Thomas Wayne the 1st is a functionally immortal devil worshiper who got his immortality from Darkseid, as part of a convoluted scheme to turn Batman into an earth destroying bomb after banishing him into the past.

He faked his death to travel the world, only to find that his family basically not only disowned him but erased all trace of his existence, to the point that he basically doesn't even have a portrait of himself in the family portrait collection.

Eventually goes mad from degeneracy and is found by his namesake (Thomas Wayne the Second, Batman's dad) who also looks just like Dr Hurt except Bruce's dad sometimes has a mustache. Nurses him back to health but Hurt is an ungrateful shit and hires a hooker and a drug addict who look like Martha Wayne and Alfred, to pretend to be the two, so Hurt can throw drug fueled orgies where kids and animals get fucked and has pictures taken of said orgies, so he can leak them and destroy his namesake and his wife/butler's reputation. The photos go missing thanks to the time traveling Batman, causing Hurt to decide to fuck over Thomas the second's son first chance he gets as an adult.

When Bruce grows up and becomes Batman, he does a sensory deprivation experiment to try and understand the Joker's mindset. Hurt tries to kill Bruce with his brainwashed and crazy Batman cosplayers, who have been tricked into thinking Hurt's the devil and escapes with his new henchmen and goes off to form the Black Glove to further torment Bruce, once he reobtains the dirty photos of him cosplaying as Thomas Wayne 2. During RIP, Hurt continues to mindfuck Bruce, telling him he's his dad and telling him he's the devil (Batman thinks he's an actor who the guy who financed the League of Heroes framed for murder, BTW as far as what Batman at this point thinks) and escapes. He returns at the end of B&R, where he gets buried alive by Joker, who beats him throw tricking him into walking onto a banana peel and breaking his neck