If you were hired by DC or Marvel, would you rather write for an established character/team...

If you were hired by DC or Marvel, would you rather write for an established character/team, or would you rather write an original character/team?

I'd definitely want to write a new character. Hopefully to avoid accidentally fucking up continuity.

Of course established. I'd keep my OCs for my own Image series. I mean, that's the fun of writing for the Big 2.

I'd attempt to pull a Johns/King and take an obscure character/waifu and try to make it one of the company's best series.

>write an original character/team
>implying Marvel and DC would let their writers create new heroes.
>implying I wouldn't just be forced to make some version of one of their established characters a minority

Make a OC to take a mantle of really really obscure heroes

A new character, plus ton of obscure, neglected and abused by creators characters to act as the supporting cast.

I would write for Marvel take pot-shots at the current state at Marvel such as their heroes, their stupid event comics and constant relaunches.

Established but fairly obscure, C-D list stuff. Maybe B. Support cast would be all original, though.
The problem with creating original characters for DC or Marvel is that unless they become a massive success, odds are you're gonna get stiffed like a motherfucker, both monetarily and creatively. Better to save that shit for indie publishers, keep it creator owned.

I want to write Dick Ryder for Marvel and any Lantern for DC, I could make up my own if they wanted me to.
Guess that's what my tastes are like.

I have ideas for both.
I have an AU idea for Wonder Woman
I want to revamp The Chauvinist into an anti-hero if only to fuck with people

I'd like to write an original hero with their own rogues, but I'd love it if I could also use some lesser / underused villains on occasion, like pic related

Agreed completely.
Also Never. NEVER EVER EVER. mention any of your original ideas in the office, show anybody anything nor publish anything on the side. The Big2 will likely take you to court and steal the rights from you if you do.

I have an OC jumping around in my head so I'd write for my character in my own pocket of the universe.

Like what Ms.Marvek is doing.

Agreed. They let you write established, but only someone thats been out of circulation for a while, and someone who wont impact their upcoming events too much.

Who do you ask for, and what would your story be to establish yourself within the industry?

I want to write Legion stories. Young Legion.

Established, obviously. It's much more interesting to take a mixed bag and parse out the good from the shit to make something exemplary. Writing an original in a universe as overcrowded as DC or Marvel is just fanfic levels of wank. Unless you include in the latter being able to make a new character under an established alias, in which case yeah maybe I would. I'd rather write a proper legacy story for The Question in any case.

Maybe Taskmaster. Dude's a gold-mine. Dream Established character would probably be Iron Man. Team the TBolts.

I wouldnt mind either way, except if i were to write a story, new or old character, i would have it planned from begining to end and not drag it out.

Lady Shiva, all day, erry day. I'd write a story that's half Hong Kong crime drama, half wuxia fantasy martial arts, and if the editors allow, involves her breaking away from the League of Assassins in the bloodiest way possible. I already have the first issue all written down.

I want to pick up Dial H after Mievilles story ends. About 2 twins, Jamie and Jared, who were adopted by Nelson & Roxie after they got married but couldn't have children.

Roxie passes away and a minth later Nelson is mysteriously kidnapped with his dial. The kids find Roxies dial- which Nelson couldn't bring himself to destroy- and set off to investigate and find him, helping solve problems and shit aling the way.

Old school Dial H for Hero + Boxcar Children cuz they homeless.

New characters have a 90% chance of failure, so the former

Kon-El

static shock.

Batman tries to protect a laywer from goons but the Laywer gets shot and sits in hospital so now Batman has to do his case including a full Ace Attorny style trial

Or a story about Joker playing Batman because Bane ruined his stuff.

I'd write one shots and short arcs of established characters and teams, mostly slice of life focused stories dealing with their interpersonal dynamics. I wouldn't want to stay too long on a certain character, at most, 1 year would be my limit unless they'd give me a huge multi serial arc.

I'd write for an established team and that team would be the JSA.

I would create OC characters as side characters in ongoings of established characters, then gather those OCs and some established characters without ongoing series and put them in an established team ongoing.

unless the original character i want to write has a connection to an established character i'd rather write for an established character and save the original characters for my independent works

captain marvel for DC

i dunno who'd i go with for marvel all of the characters i'd wanna write for are pretty big right now

Then they'll copyright the character and they won't belong to you. Soon your creation will be taken by other people and fucked up

Established

I'd rather be a Frank Miller to Daredevil than a Stan Lee to Daredevil.

I would be fine with both.

I'd write a new team for Marvel. Plenty of diversity for the management to wank over too.

This is fucking hilarious.

I want to re write Amethyst, Halo, or Aresia and Star Sapphire

>DC
I'd lean toward established characters, particularly obscure and forgotten ones like the 1st Outsiders or the Bloodlines/Planet DC OCs.

>Marvel
Probably something new but derivative of existing characters. It's a shame I probably wouldn't be able to bring back back Ultragirl though.

This is the way to go. Take an obscure character and a bunch of D-list villains and make them cool.

I have an idea for a short comic.
First I frame it like one of those "Fanboys but in-universe" comics they constantly have.
So Dan is tubby young black man. Getting hassled by local petty criminals. But he seemingly has a passionate hobby for cosplay. He's saving up to make a very intensive costume. See him collecting materials. Researching how to build certain props. It appears he's building towards some big day. He wakes up one day, checks his phone or computer, it's the big day. He gears up. His full costume isn't revealed until he walks out. Both revealing New York is under massive alien attack, and he's dressed as an accurate Dr. DOOM. He proceeds to start robbing all the petty criminals pretending he's DOOM under the guise that the city attack is his doing and he's the new Overlord of the world and he's collecting tribute from everyone. Most of themfall in line, anyone who gets suspicious he threatens with a glowing prop he crafted. No one calls his bluff.
Either he gets away with it or the real DOOM ironically shows up and turns him into a pile of ashes.
Crime Pays, No Benefits

DC - Give me anything Kirby ever touched. I'd write a Guardian/Newsboy Legion comic in a heartbeat.
Marvel - My man Justin and his Sentinel are coming back, like, yesterday.

Write for an established character, but use that series to push original characters, who will hopefully become popular enough to get their own series.

Established C list character is the way to go. If you make something new, and it becomes popular, the company will just squander it's legacy. Look at Ms. Marvel. She is pretty good in her own series, but every time someone else writes her she is terrible. Kamala is only three years old and she has already been in terrible crossovers and shit series cancellation number spin offs. Why would you create something you enjoy knowing it will be absolutely destroyed for corporate greed?