Hawkman...huh?

So I have been trying to get into characters I do not really know a lot about, besides their name and basic powers. I was going to sit down and try to read some Hawkman stories...however, I ran into something of a roadblock.
What the fuck is wrong with his continuity? I understand it is DC and trying to have continuity is almost impossible, but he has like 50 different origins.
Also; What would some of your Hawkfags suggest is the pinnacle Hawkman series?

Do you have an issue with old comics, I mean comic from before the 90's?
If you have a problem with old stuff read his nu52 series, it was kind of okay but at least it purged his continuity.
If you have no problem with old shit Try Hawkworld or his silver age series.

That dialogue sounds horrific. Is this from Metal? "Again the Winged Soldier charges us like a Shark" Fucking really? Like I'm reading the Eye of Argon or some shit.

Anyway read Hawkworld and then the Ostrander series that comes after it until you get bored, then go read classic Kubert Hawkman. You don't need to read anything else.

>What the fuck is wrong with his continuity? I understand it is DC and trying to have continuity is almost impossible, but he has like 50 different origins.

basically different writers trying to do essentially new characters/stories but using old IP, and then later writers come in thinking they can just ignore everything and start over, or trying to fix it by making it all mix together

if you're cool with the "fuck it, start fresh" method, I would suggest the new52 series (assuming you want more modern stories)

if you like the "its weird and we like that", definitely check out Geoff Johns Hawkman series (it ends a little abruptly, but he follows it through in his JSA and Blackest Night/Brightest Day series)

Prefer older stuff. I just know some people really like him and I wanted to see why. Tried on my own but like I said, his history seems to be all over the place from being an immortal to being a space cop with Nth Metal.

Throne of Atlantis, Orm actually talks like that.
There's like a three-part screencap dedicated to explaining the entirety of Hawkman's backstory. It's fucking absurd.

Thanks Sup Forumsmrades

that might be from the JL/Aquaman crossover that Johns did early into new52? definitely Ivan Reis' art, and thats the only time I know that he drew Ocean Master

>being a space cop with Nth Metal
This is the best and you can fit the immortal stuff in with it.

At this point Superman is even more complicated than Hawkman. Stop with this "Hawkman is a mess" meme.

one day a noble alien space police was out walking when he saw a stray hawk foil a bank robbery

woah... he said so this is the true power of the hawk... which does not even need a shirt to stop evil...

No he isn't, not even close.

I did not know it was a 'meme'. I was actually asking because he was next on my list of characters to learn about after Guy Gardner. It was a personal thing to learn about more characters other than when they show up in books I read.

SOMEONE POST THE IMAGE

He's an Atlantean prince, that's how he talks.

This one?

Holy fuck I did not know.
Just downloaded the Jones run, it seems like that tends to leave a mark, as per most suggestions.Gonna grab Hawkworld as well.

Why does Hawkman get sidelined a lot for Hawkgirl in adaptations?

Gendrr balance usually. The JL is a pretty big sausage fest.

Underrated post.

You know how there is more than one Flash. There is more than one Hawkman.

All I've ever read of Hawkman is Hawkworld and the ongoing. Whatever happened to that Katar Hol?

>At this point Superman is even more complicated than Hawkman
What did he meme by this?

He got merged into the Hawkgod with Carter Hall, along with all the multiversal Hawkpeople during Zero Hour. He then went crazy and died.

Carter came back with some of Katar's memories. But Katar himself remained dead.

>space cop with Nth Metal.
Best hawkman right here

Wasn't the Hawkgod actually a separate entity that just thought it was Katar?

The superbro and superdad merger really did make supermans story needlessly complicated. Not as bad as hawkmans tho.

It was just a couple of months ago that Hawkman "died", what method did they use to bring him back in Dark Days?

He's coming back during the next DC event, Metal. To be fair though this'll probably an alternate universe Hawkman from a dimension of metal, which sounds pretty rad to me.

I just hope they don't give his book back to Leifeld and fuck it all up again.

I just want more Gentleman Ghost

Just read Hawkworld mini and continue with the Hawkworld ongoing. Ignore the faggots in this thread recommending Johns' run and new 52.

Comics are great.

his past is a mess but he's a cool character

he's good