Who's the bigger hack, Sup Forums?

Who's the bigger hack, Sup Forums?

Ward. He had longer to fuck up AT. Alex only managed to hack up in the second season.

OP
His thread always sucks.

Hirsch. Ward's vision for the show got warped so fucking badly he had to jump ship because he couldn't handle working on what was essentially a bastardized nightmare of what he originally wanted, and the show ended up getting more and more fucked after he left. Hirsch, on the other hand, was fully in control the entire time, and still made dumbass decisions and whined about them the entire time because he didn't realize making a cartoon series might actually be, you know, WORK.

Ward is the well-intentioned but ultimately flawed extremist, while Hirsch is the lazy jackass who thinks he's above everyone around him.

>Hirsch
Great character designer, decent worldbuilder, writes a good story when he tries. Suffers from being a control freak and when things don't go his way he sandbags and looks for an easy exit. Massive egomaniac and a liberal douche.
>Pen Ward
Characters range from okay to abominations. World building is great, but his story telling is limited to short bursts of brilliance followed by shitty conclusions and long periods of mediocrity. Comes off as a nice guy, but his passiveness resulted in his underlings doing whatever the fuck they wanted and ruining his life's work.

I'd say Hirsch built something greater yet that made it's fall harder, so him, plus he's one of the most unlikable online personalities south of Tara Strong.

>World building is great,
That really wasn't him though. The writers didn't decide for AT to even post apocalyptic till post Business Time episode and I don't think it was even his call.

I think he saw Oooo as just DnD land.

I like to believe that Ward pounds Hirsh boipussy.

Beards rubbing and all that nasty shit.

Hirsch for sure. Pen hasn't been creatively involved in the show for a long time, and AT was good for most of the time he WAS.

GF dropping the ball in the last half of the second season is all Hirsch. He bit off more than he could chew and the show suffered for it.

>Hirsch
>Great character designer
No, that would be Joe Pitt, the guy who assaulted Hirsch during production of GF and ended up getting his Ducktales reboot idea stolen by Hirsch's girlfriend.

>decent worldbuilder
Kinda, he did basically steal Twin Peaks and made it g-rated.

>writes a good story
Yeah, he's got real neat ideas, but his execution is very lacking. He definitely writes story, not character, cause GF has some of the flattest, one-note characters ever.

He honestly seems really cool to hang with judging by interviews, but not to work with.

Hirsch ended his series on his own terms. He also wrote on every episode and voiced many main characters

Pen sold out and let his series go on forever getting worse and worse for his own financial gain

Pen is the definition of a hack. He sold out for cash. Hirsch had the opportunity but didn't. The fact that we want more Gravity Falls and less Adventure Time proves it

Came here to say this.

Also, saged; shit thread OP.

So bored of these forced hack memes. Both guys put a sincere effort in and made imperfect, but cool shows. I've listened to interviews with both and they both sound like chill dudes who love cartoons. Why can't Sup Forums be chill too

Ward. He's like Matt Groening. Never wrote on his own show, took all the credit, sold out for huge amounts of cash, let the show get run into the ground. At least hirsch knew how to end something

Ward's a cool guy who wanted to make a fun cartoon, did that, then left it in the hands of people he thought were cool and made cool stuff. The show went crazier there and did a lot of stupid shit, but I both don't think it got terrible or that Ward is anywhere at fault for it.

Hirsch always came off as a bit of a smug ass, but aside from that he didn't do anything wrong either. It is shitty that he ended the show so quickly when another season would have benefited it a huge amount, but I can understand it working with Disney, and in the end that's basically what Pen did too. Stuff like Dipper always getting shit on and the ending in general make me a little annoyed with Alex at most.

I don't think either of them are that bad but I guess Hirsch is the hackier of the two.

I don't get this thing about hirsch being an asshole. He's been sassy on twitter a few times but I've seen him do conventions and he's so fun and friendly and generous with his time. This fake "evil hirsch" is something that I only see on Sup Forums

I don't think he's an asshole, just always seemed like he had a very high opinion of himself. I could just be projecting.
And on Sup Forums it's entirely a meme. People whine about his political opinions and how he didn't have Dipper get with Pacifica and all that retarded /gfg/ drama about him breaking up with that chick or whatever. It's mostly silly nonsense.

The most I can dislike Hirsch for is that shitty goatee of his.

Seconded. I was there on his charity stream where he sang songs and drew pictures and raised thousands of dollars for charity and he was so kind and chill. I was really surprised because I had started to believe all the hackposting and forgot he's just a regular dude

Can't argue with the dumb goatee. I think Hirsch definitely enjoys the attention that comes from doing things for his fans (like cipherhunt) and any time you make yourself visible you're gonna piss people off. But on the other hand I can't imagine another creator who would do something as rad as cipherhunt with his own time and money just as a gift for his fans. That to me proved what kind of creator he is- someone who's genuinely trying to make something cool, even if it doesn't always please everyone

Regular reminder that JG, Pen, Hirsch, Sugar are all friends and hang out together. This fake competition meme only exists on Sup Forums All of them are pretty solid people

>I don't get this thing about hirsch being an asshole.

He broke up with a girlfriend who posted here, that's where it came from.

>the guy who assaulted Hirsch during production of GF and ended up getting his Ducktales reboot idea stolen by Hirsch's girlfriend
What?

The charity in question was Planned Parenthood. He was trying to sell kids on taxpayer-subsidized abortions.

Alex, if only because of Weirdmaggedon.

What was wrong with Weirdmageddon?

How many brain cells are you on right now, Sup Forums? Just curious.

Neither, I enjoyed GF and AT while he was at the head was good stuff.

Pen's totally the Big Spoon

I felt it was really cliche and unoriginal compared to the rest of the series. All that build up of alternate dimensions and spooky triangle magic only to be turned into a giant mech-battle anime. Also, everything involving Mabel left a bad taste in my mouth.

/pok/ supports Planned Parenthood because they kill black babies. I'm a more conventional conservative.

>everyone right of center is Sup Forums
>everyone left of center is Sup Forums

Fuck, I meant
>everyone left of center is Tumblr

he has different political views than I do therefore he is a bad person

Where did the "planned parenthood is mostly about abortions" meme come from?

So somewhere within the single digits, I take it?

I'm not sure what meant about Joe Pitt "assaulting" Hirsch, but the guy is apparently a big reason why the DuckTales reboot even happened.

>Here’s the poster I made when proposing a Ducktales reboot back in 2013. Not the final style I was going for, but was a start. The big idea I wanted was to bring Donald back into the mix and make the story surrounding Scrooge based off of Don Rosa’s work. They wanted a different angle with the nephews as the leads. This is when we parted ways.
Dana Terrace just happened to be working on the final version in the end.

ward looking thicc

Not the same user, but I'm definitely with you on those points. While I still enjoyed "Weirdmageddon Part 1", "Escape from Reality" was just a waste of 20 minutes that restated what we already knew about Dipper & Mabel's relationship.

It's implied in the name. Also its main service it campaigns on.
And the cancer scans could be provided by any other health service that hasn't grown a political arm and leg.

Pen Ward is also prone to breakdowns due to stress. I heard it was the reason why it took so long to go from pilot to show and why he eventually left AT.

Ward didn't like the direction AT was taking post season 3? Shit, I didn't know that. Are there any interviews about this?

Also, as a show-runner, couldn't he have done something to save the show?

She's just director though. She's already moving on to developing her own series. I think it might've just been training wheels for her own pitch. That seems to be how Disney does things these days. Makes me wonder when Sabrina Cotugno's gonna get the same treatment.

I don't think Ward ever said anything like that, from what I remember he left because AT expanded more than anyone ever thought it would and he got burnt out from managing the show and the merchandise and games and all the other shit they were making, so he stepped away from being showrunner and just worked as a regular writer once in a while.

>She's already moving on to developing her own series
Dana Terrace's pitch hasn't been picked up for an actual series yet; it's just been approved for a pilot to begin production.

>Makes me wonder when Sabrina Cotugno's gonna get the same treatment
Same here, user. Sabrina continues to surprise me with how great of an effect she actually has on Star vs the Forces of Evil. She wrote the entirety of Star's Princess Song on her own and wrote Princess Moon's Darkest Spell in the upcoming S3 premiere. An opportunity to pitch her own ideas wouldn't be out of the question.

>Same here, user. Sabrina continues to surprise me with how great of an effect she actually has on Star vs the Forces of Evil. She wrote the entirety of Star's Princess Song on her own and wrote Princess Moon's Darkest Spell in the upcoming S3 premiere. An opportunity to pitch her own ideas wouldn't be out of the question.
IMO Love God is the singularly worst episode of GF. So I'm surprised and impressed that the 2 boarders who pitched some of the worst ideas have been consistently putting out such good work.

I just noticed who made this thread.
How was Regular Show the last few seasons? I got too bored at some point and clocked out, too much drama not enough laffs. I know Pops died and there was a Bowie song in the last episode.

But you need to remember that GF was a script-driven show, while Star vs is storyboard-driven. The board artists on the latter have more creative freedom and a more active role in each episode they're a part of. "The Love God" wasn't really Cotugno's doing.

You make very good points, user.

I wonder what she'd pitch. I remember she had this one idea that I barely remember now. But she doesn't seem to be the kind tbat holds onto ideas since high school. And her Jekyll idea is already a comic.

From what I remember Ward left for a while because he broke up with some chick or something so he had to go dark on the popularity he was receiving from AT at the time, hell that would explain why when he came back everything was so dramatic even with him.

Isn't Matt Braly also developing something at Disney?

what's the deal with hating extremely successful cartoonist?

I'd have to wait till the finale, Alex's show started great, dropped the ball, got good again and then the finale was a shitshow.

AT is pretty much same thing, it's getting good again but I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the ball hard.

As for Quintel he really isn't a hack, honestly, he tried drama shit and it didn't work, so he cut it out and ended his series in a great note. I respect him more than Ward or Hirsch from that alone.

I haven't watched all of Regular Show yet but didn't they keep going with their boring ass love drama for years? I wouldn't say that's trying it then dropping it, even if they realized it sucked and stopped doing it towards the end

Season 6 and 7 is great, perhaps not season 1-3 great (although I think those seasons are some of the best animated comedy ever) but good nonetheless. Give it a go, it's good.

Yeah I'll get back to it one day, I just remember it all turning into boring Mordecai problems of which chick he should get with, I swear he flip flopped between Margaret and CJ like 4 fucking times man

After the shitty season 6 finale that was "Dumped at the Altar", Season 7 dealt with more silly episodic adventures similar to the first four seasons (albeit not as well as back then) with an interesting subplot about Rigby going back to high school to get his diploma.

The final ~9 episodes of
S7 focused on The Park being kept under a mysterious dome with hints at S8 ideas (loose continuity that wasn't just Mordecai's love life was cool for the show to attempt, but I personally couldn't care less about these mediocre Dome Arc episodes).

Season 8 (THE FINAL SEASON) shook things up by bringing The Park In Space. There were some gems in there like "The Space Race" and "Space Escape", but towards the end, the series started focusing entirely on Pops and his evil long-lost brother dueling to determine the fate of the universe (some of these episodes were good, while others kinda dragged on; the meta episodes with the Disc Masters were far more engaging, in my opinion).

The final hour-long finale was an Epic Battle, a main character sacrificed himself, the ending was admittedly rushed but still poignant with a final montage (David Bowie), most of Sup Forums was pissed about who Mordo ended up with it wasn't Rigby , but it honestly closed out the show well.

>I respect [Quintel] more than Ward or Hirsch from that alone
You have to admire how out of the three (plus Thurop Van Orman), he was the only one to jump into a new series right away. I'll admit that JG's ideas tend to just be surreal self-insert stories that pale creatively to Ward and Hirsch's ideas, but since RS remained pretty damn funny and consistent in quality for most of its run, I'm excited to see Quintel's upcoming show.

Quintels show was boring. Never great, never terrible just boring. Same plot 1,000 times. Hirsch & Ward both had much higher highs on their shows. Quintel confirmed for true hack.

Not true, Ward's still a writer and sometimes storyboard artist.

All made up bullshit

1) no one ever attacked anyone. You'll never find a single source for that because it's just Sup Forums copypasta BS

2) Joe Pitt was one of several people who pitched DT reboots to Disney. They didn't pick his. He has nothing to do with the fact that a reboot happened, he auditioned and didn't get the job

3) Dana Terrace is just a director on the new DT. Directors at DTV are glorified board artists. If it's good or bad, the praise/blame will be due to the showrunner Matt Youngberg and the writers. People on Sup Forums just assume that whoever has an internet presence is the one behind everything and that's rarely the case

So the GF has 5 bad episodes and 35 great ones? That doesn't make you a hack it makes you human. Most shows wish they had a success rate that high

>Joe Pitt was one of several people who pitched DT reboots to Disney
There were multiple separate DuckTales reboot pitches? Never knew that. I thought it was just a small group of people including Pitt with Youngberg at the forefront of the idea pitching it together.

by the classic definition of a hack i think pen wins the guy just pulled the mushroom war stuff out of his ass one day after his cartoon was already on tv

but i like pens style more he actually managed to pull that shit out of his ass in a decent way

meanwhile alex is best friends with roiland the biggest hack ever and rushed his own cartoons to go "work" with his boyfriend

Yeah, a different guy was announced to run it originally (can't remember his name, but he was from Disney feature) but he got fired. A lot of people wanted the job, joes just the only one to talk about it publicly

>alex never worked for Roiland. Made up, no sources, go home user you're drunk

>Roiland, Pen & Hirsch are all friends. Friendship is real outside of Sup Forums

Why do people make shit up like this. Imagine how weird it would be to be a show creator and see guys making up endless fake folklore about you like you're Johnny goddamn Appleseed.

It's actually pretty remarkable that RS nearly rivaled AT back in their heyday despite the former's formulaic structure

don't get your hopes up, user. it's probably just gonna be Video Game References: The Show

And then it basically disappeared off the pop culture radar. AV Club stopped reviewing it because not enough people even cared enough to comment

Which is why it's best for a cartoon creator to not get so active on social media or anonymous forums. JG Quintel's pretty good at that.

Eh twitter or no twitter regular show left almost zero cultural footprint. By the time it ended it's ratings were shit and no one was really talking about it. Honestly there's more threads about GF still to this day than RS

Trump is pretty obviously an idiot. Love him or hate him, saying "this guys an idiot" is pretty tame and would only trigger the most sensitive MAGA snowflakes

Not sure what politics has to do with cartoons. This thread is about quality of animation not that superfluous stuff. Pen tweeted about GamerGate being stupid, these guys are all liberal, that shouldn't be projected onto their shows

JGs twitter is boring as hell. Hirsch launched a treasure hunt and held contests to give out free books and raised money for charity and posts cut scenes. Politics notwithstanding Hirsch's twitter is a solid source of entertainment now that GF is over

Ward. He never wanted to bother trying with AT, he just let his boarders run wild while soaking up the praise about it being "such a smart, subversive cartoon".

If Chris Houghton's well aware of Sup Forums, what the hell will Country Club be like?

>Love God is the singularly worst episode of GF.

Why's that?

Ward's a humble guy, don't hate on him personally. Besides, his philosophy of giving boarders the creative freedom to take the show in different directions is what made AT great to begin with.

I far prefer Alex's show, but I far prefer Pen as a person. Following Alex on twitter since November 8 has been a nightmare.