When does South Park become better?

>Watch south park on my own merits for the first time
>season 1 isn't funny or particularly "lol so controversial"
>push through
>jokes basically consists of kids don't know what sex is except they do an episode later.
>townspeople are all dumb and asshoIes
>push through up to season 4.

Has South Park always been so degenerate?
Does it get better?

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fun Times With Weapons.
The Losing Edge.

Basically the two highlights.

Season 1 South Park was quite controversial actually. Beavis and Butthead may have had Beavis screaming "Fire!" but South Park had Kyle cussing out vistors. It was a huge topic of discussion about the appropriateness of cartoons being vulgar.

>own merits
>why isn't this show people said was good as good as people say?
>own merits
You followed a crowd

>>season 1 isn't funny or particularly "lol so controversial"

When it cames out it was. SP has quite literally pushed and changed the boundaries of what was acceptable in animation.

I'm old enough to remember when season 1 came out and it was in the newspapers here. The new insane show from America.

I love Trey and Matt's commentary regarding censors.
>so we asked the network if we could say "shit" and they said only once. And we begged can we say it twice then they said no. Then Matt asked "what if we said it...5000 times?" And they let us do whatever we want and we even put a counter in the corner
>so the boys walk by the kids playing Harry Potter and Cartman just goes "HA! FAGS!" And we thought that was really great, it was really important to us he got to just say fag casually like that

>season 1 isn't funny or particularly "lol so controversial"

It was in 1997

Season 1 is a completely different vibe from the south park people like. Back then all of that potty humor was controversial, but once it became tired and not shocking Matt and Trey turned the show into good satire.

Seasons 4-7 are the best.

I don't think people who were born in the 2000s, or even the 90s, can understand how different the media landscape is now. TV was unbelievably bland and dull coming out of the 80s.

Like go back and watch the first few years of the Simpsons, then realize that they were considered so controversial at the time that they were denounced, separately, by President Bush and his wife.

It honestly doesn't pick up until season 3. Skip the first two seasons.

remember there was even a time when the Simpsons was controversial, just goes to show you how much things changed
The real question is how come Duckman never got recognition for being raunchy? is it because South Park had kids cursing out, or just because Duckman was on USA?

The latter. Almost nobody watched Duckman. It was a miracle that they somehow got and kept Jason Alexander at the height of his Seinfeld fame.

It's a mean, angry, bitter, ugly show, but it still holds up. I'm not sure there's ever been anything quite like it.

>tv was
But the movies would constantly push the boundaries. There was a kids movie where the boy said "shít happens" about 3 times. Still got a pg rating. 80's was a dark age.

>President Bush
Who?

>kids that were 7 in 2008 are old enough to post on Sup Forums

HW, not W

>this began with Barbara, who in a 1990 interview with People, said The Simpsons was "the dumbest thing [she] had ever seen."

>The real controversy began January 27th, 1992, when Bush declared to a meeting of the National Religious Broadcasters: "We are going to keep on trying to strengthen the American family, to make American families a lot more like the Waltons and a lot less like the Simpsons." The Simpsons quickly wrote and animated a new sequence for "Stark Raving Dad," which would be rerun three days later. Bart and his family watch the clip of Bush's speech and Bart replies, "Hey, we're just like the Waltons. We're praying for an end of the depression, too."

>jokes basically consists of kids don't know what sex is except they do an episode later.

that was never really the joke. The joke was the supporting cast being a bunch of degenerates and the kids kind of navigating through that kind of terrible landscape while generally being kids. basically same as you said but there's more to it. Honestly if you don't seasons 4-15 then it's not for you because it only gets worse.

OP here.
I used to sneak and watch it when i was still in mybsingle digits. It was funny then and I think, now, I just outgrew it.
And another show into the garbage. Thanks user.

How about Spicy City? It premiered a whole month before SP and had less censorship.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny

In essence, it predated a lot of the humor you would see on Adult Swim, Newgrounds, MDE, and the internet.

That would be because it was on HBO.

you just saw the best is has to offer. it gets mainstream and formulaic after bill heder joined so a normie like you will probably enjoy the later seasons

post movie