What are some webcomics that smart people would enjoy?

What are some webcomics that smart people would enjoy?

We don't know, no such thing exists.

Can smart people truly enjoy humor? Or are they doomed to over-analyze every ounce of it?

Think about that the next time you wash your hands boy

Certainly not xkcd. Maybe his earlier comics, but now he waters down the science into just pop science and references. That way you can pat yourself on the back for being oh so smart.

Nedroid

I do the same thing but with quantum chromodynamics.

When would "magnetohydrodynamic" even come up in conversation?

>over analyze
Pretty sure every retard and their mother (who is also a retard) bitches about smart people """over analyzing""" everything. Jokes hit you how they hit you. Don't judge.

>damn her pussy is so magnetohydrodynamic!

You're confusing smart people with autistic people.

>over-analyzing jokes
>smart
>not what every reddit kiddie does to display his euphoric intellect
smart people are usually sad people and should appreciate a gud laff even more

He was a NASA scientist at one point, so probably a lot.

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal is like XKCD but NOT written by a pretentious piece of garbage. Wiener at least TRIES to draw, and he explores a lot of interesting sci-fi and existential concepts. He also does some pretty funny relationship and general humor, too.

I hate XKCD so fucking much

Why do people hate XKCD?
I've never got around to reading a lot of the comics, just know they aren't good for whatever reason.

They're engineers, and NASA is spun off from military. It would have an acronym if it was used ever.

>Achewood
/lit/ would like this, the dialogue is rad and unique for each character.
Once it picks up, it's a comic about some dudes, and they have issues to deal with, but they deal with them like men.
Start with The Great Outdoor Fight arc.

>SMBC
Starts off as The Far Side as a cartoon with a caption, but slowly evolves into taking concepts to illogical, absurd extremes.

>Hark! A Vagrant
Not really smart, but you need to be pretty knowledgable about literature to understand the jokes.

>Dinosaur Comics
Lots of reading. OP probably considers that 'smart'
Hit or miss. Also, Ryan North I'm told isn't that great of a dude.

>Pictures for Sad Children
Gone from the internet. Download it from somewhere, but the alt-texts are lost forever. About depression and stuff. Personally, gives me a weird, out of body feeling.

>A Softer World
1-4 pictures with words over them, so you can be pretentious and feel cultured, because let's face it, that's what you wanted from this, isn't it?

>Why do people hate XKCD?
Because it's popular.

I'll get a lot of good use out of this one.
If I didn't forget about this completely the second after I saved it
He's a smug fedora douche who makes stick figures.
Why do you think he pisses people off?

obligatory

I legitimately believe that Achewood should be considered one of the greatest popular works since 2000. Almost certainly the best comic since 2000. His return was incredibly on point, and I was sad to see Onstad go again.

It really it incredible. The great outdoor fight is one of those storylines I read and just feel impressed by how good it was. I wish we would put it on essential comics lists here.

I was never able to get into even after forcing myself to read 50 pages, is this ironic?

Not for me. I'm not gonna go and call smart or anything or try to add pretense here. I truly love Achewood, no irony.

Did you get to the Three Cats though? Once Roast Beef and Ray get introduced Onstad's skill for giving unique voices to characters grows immensely.

XKCD is what happens when a smart dude writes self-insert.

seriously, go back and re-read the strips. Cueball lives an interesting life with fun problems to work on, and he get to complain to people who understand, sympathize and play along. He's the webcomic version of some indie romantic comedy. All of his comments are witty and insightful, but not threatening or strong enough to show any spine, or any genuine interest in other people. XKCD is what every fedora-tippin' beta thinks he sounds like.
>pic related

Tell me that's not a robot's fantasy right there.

Don't get me wrong. Munroe does a good job with infographics and his what-if blog. But XKCD is the dream diary of a guy who doesn't understand he has to change his habits to accommodate other people.
XKCD is the product of a guy who 'proves' other people's taste are inferior to his, and constantly brings it up.
XKCD is what happens when a guy that thinks that feelings besides his own are illogical gets into writing.
XKCD is made by the guy who believes it's ok he wasn't popular in school, because nerds get all the money, women and power as soon as they graduate.

Fun Fact: Randall Munroe the Robot9000 script, which is used for the /r9k/ board. How fitting.

Really, start with The Great Outdoor Fight.

I'm inclined to agree, if only for the dialogue and it's representation of masculinity. Lot of stuff talks about chicks talking, but Achewood shows how dudes interact.

>how poor failures act
ftfy, only man children who would love a syndicated 'Ow, My Balls!' TV show like it.

What really grinds my gears about his stuff is that he doesn't even try to draw. If he did, I could easily dismiss him as another intellectual pansy ejaculating his half-baked opinions across the internet's awaiting bosom.

But by representing his opinions as something elemental by drawing only stick figures, he's charmed a generation of pseudo-intellectuals into believing he has a genuine voice that somehow holds primacy over all logic and good taste. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but his garbage comics are VERY popular, to the point where they have a bot on reddit that will follow up posts with a "relevant xkcd".

I hate Randall Munroe. I really do. I'd like to twist his head right off his pencil neck.

That's not true.

>the entire sun is magic

Very Kafkaesque

Hark! A Vagrant is most certainly for smart people

>they have a bot on reddit that will follow up posts with a "relevant xkcd"

this explains a lot.

She doesn't update it anymore, though.

Yeah, she's writing children's books or something now

You're like a writer for a show where a character has super-intelligence and they speak in nonstop technical terms or obscure poetic language.

My favorite one

How did you know that I am smart?

>don't mind me, just pirating this fire
Okay I chuckled.

>Reddit: The comic
No thanks

There's probably quite a bit of overlap there

I loathe this kind of shit. Nothing screams hack writing to me more than tired intelligence cliches.

Not really, autistic people tend to be in the lower end of IQ wth some notable exceptions.

/sci/ like xkcd

This one's actually decent tho

Perry Bible Fellowship

Nnnnnnnnot really. Autism rarely entails increased intelligence, that's one of those rare gift savant types of things. I guess you could say that autistic people and stereotypical socially awkward smart people have some common social traits, but you still wouldn't call the autistic people intelligent by association.

Smart people don't stoop to webcomics for humor

>Smart people don't stoop to webcomics
ftfy

Is triple gold good or bad?

>they have a bot on reddit that will follow up posts with a "relevant xkcd".

I am not ok with that

If your joke is so bad only the brain-dead people can enjoy it, it's your fault, not smart people's.

dont really know about web comics but "graphic novels" were incredibly good when i felt like i needed something with a bit more weight

If a joke can be over-analyzed, it's probably not as funny as it could be.

>Pictures for Sad Children
I remember reading this once and it was good, but if we're being honest its best use was for reaction image material.

Is it autism to immediately go "So it's something to do with magnetism and liquid, right"?

No, that's just knowing rudimentary Greek.

No, that's having a high school education.

Woohoo!

>getting educated in high-school
>not skipping all classes *except* gym and smoking out the back of the bus-shelter with the art teachers
psh, autism.

My people!

Achewood will always be the pinnacle of character writing in webcomics.

Nedroid is the best.

>Can smart people truly enjoy humor? Or are they doomed to over-analyze every ounce of it?

RL smart people don't over-analyze things. That's a dumb thing to do.

moving magnetic liquids/flow systems, yes

Smart people would recognize it's not usually worth the time. Taste is mostly subjective at the ends of the day so there's little point in over-analyzing something unless that's a way to derive some personal enjoyment.

Are you aware that the comic you posted is trashing and deconstructing the mindset it's presenting?

In fact, you actually managed to disprove your own point.

It gets preachy sometimes and there's nothing more calculated to turn people off than telling them they either agree with you or are morons by definition.

Plus he unironically supported Hillary and the relevant strip was hilariously cringe-worthy.

>Getting this angry over nothing
Calm down, retard

what's wrong with Magnetohydrodynamic? It's a perfectly understandable word

eh...chromodynamics is kinda a shitty name ment to play on the colour wheel but it doesn't really work well as an analogy. So I agree that it's a shitty naming but it's easy to say.

this baby

well, I'm going to watch the new episode of Genius. Hopefully they finally have something about Solvay. Been a disappointment so far

Xd

They struggle with communication. Low functioning autistism basically renders the afflicted mute. This doesn't mean they're stupid, it just means they're trapped in their own head and doomed to be forced to watch Barney their whole life.

That's because the IQ test relies on the individuals taking it to have developed communication skills. This hurts the autism.

This

Welp. I looked up this guy's picture and then read this comic.

That pretty much killed years of mild xkcd enjoyment for me.

Does he really not understand the difference between an Enlightenment principle and the legal codification thereof?

Don't you know that United States is the entire world and the Constitution is the only moral guidance you can ever need?

I dedicated my entire life to Twenty-Fifth Amendment.

wathever, cats are as good as children

but this isn't wrong.

i mean xkcd still sucks but this isn't wrong.

>XKCD is what happens when a smart dude writes self-insert.
xkcd iss what happens when a person who thinks too higly of himself doesnt understand the meaning of strawman
oh, he will acuse other people of strawman but then everything in his comic is a strawman and he is completely unaware of it
>beer is bitter, i dont like beer, everyone must be pretending to like beer all the time, im not insecure about it you are
>people who dont think like me are stupid
>people who call others stupid for not agreeing with them are stupid
>look at this thing i read about on wikipedia, im really smart
>even tho im only educated in one thing, wich is what being a proffessional mean, i only posses above average knowledge in a single thing but i know more about everything than you do because i make a stick figure webcomic wich is both a sign of status and parody of webcomics at the same time
>my math degree means im an all knowing being please dont ask me any hard questions or hold me under scrutiny

>be in HS
>be in English class
>autistic kid who constantly brings up his favorite cartoons/vidya in reference to anything, will start pointless arguments over them and john steinbeck books, etc.
>will talk and talk and talk and basically waste time in class
>nothing is done about it
>all of us finally have enough when he literally screeches for 5 minutes straight on why the teacher's taste in literature is shit because she won't teach his favorite manga
>all of us complain to the teacher about it
>teacher tries to talk to kid's parents about it
>apparently they flipped the fuck out and got the teacher suspended for "infringing on our son's freedom of speech"
>kid basically got free reign whenever after that

Same to the extremely left/right-wing kids. they'd scream about fucking nothing, allow for no opinions other than their own, get their parents to wipe their asses for them, etc.

Honestly, if this comic offends you, i just assume you're like the aformentioned "MR. MY FAVORITE MOESHIT MANGA IS EQUIVALENT TO WAR AND PEACE AND IF YOU DISAGREE YOU'RE A PLEB REEEEEEE"

>supporting Hillary
>cringeworthy

It's not the rest of the world's fault you decided to hold an election between a Republican and the annoying orange.

Because it's popular. Also, because said author isn't right wing. Considering the dude's a scientist AND a webcomic writer, you'd think that'd be a given.

Engineers are scientists. Unless you subscribe to the BBT of thought where geologists and engineers aren't considered real scientists, but for some reason psychologists are.

I doubt command would ever have to use magnetohydrodynamic in a sentence. They'd probably just tell their officers 'the item works/does not work'.

My favourite anime is better than war and piece. War and Peace is Citizen Kane tiers of moving by its own momentum. War and Peace is so well known and wanked that even were you to have grievances with it they would be discarded because that sort of thing is 'not done'. It's like insulting a famous artist despite plenty of them sucking.
Truly good pieces never reach popularity singularity. They inspire just enough integrity in their consumers that they remain fallible.
>I don't like X thing, it's retarded
>stop being a hipster
Anything at that level is no longer judged by its own virtue but by social merits

I once supported your right to make these statements but then saw the light thanks to this post. Clearly your opinions are too annoying for everyone else to suffer through and therefore your right to express them must be revoked.

Because I said so.

this guy gets it

>It's not the rest of the world's fault you decided to hold an election between a Republican and the annoying orange.

Anyone who celebrated Hillary as anything more desirable than the lesser of two evils is beyond deluded. That's the issue I was getting at.

Everything you said is correct in principle but I highly doubt your favourite anime specifically is better than War and Peace.

>It would have an acronym if it was used ever.
It's "MHD". I'll admit though, I've only ever heard it being used before the context of theoretical fusion reactors (especially those being used as spacecraft thrusters). Maybe once or twice in ball lightning explanations as well?

>Why do people hate XKCD?
I've seen mostly a combination of two points:

>1: The Art is lazy/terrible
What is Art? Some comics have meticulous and detailed backgrounds that naturally attract the eye with their beauty, like KSBD and SSSS. Eye candy, if you will. Many focus on realism, hoping to thusly make the readers connect more with the characters. Others take a more stylized approach, seeking to wow readers with their creativity. And a few deliberately take a more simplistic approach—not just to make it easier to draw, but to make it *easier to read* as well.

xkcd is simply taking the last approach to its logical extreme. The visual component of his medium exists only to transmit the necessary information to the reader.
>"There is a person here. He is sitting on a chair/reading a book. There is another person over there. She is walking towards/attracting the attention of the first."
Munroe isn't trying to wow the audience with his artistic skills, deep characterization, or detailed setting. It doesn't even matter if the generic stick figure in one comic is the same person as the identical generic stick figure in the next. Think of it as the visual analog to plaintext: as long as it isn't difficult to read, it's sufficient.
Since the primary audience is used to tables of numbers, graphs, and diagrams, often frowning upon extraneous formatting that does nothing to improve clarity.

>2: It's pretentious or pandering
This one is a lot more subjective. In the end, if you just don't like the author's philosophy, humor, or interests, then his work just isn't for you. And nobody really likes to see other people liking what they themselves don't like.

I don't know, how do you feel about Serial Experiments Lain

>And nobody really likes to see other people liking what they themselves don't like.
That's a pretty generalistic statement. I'm not particularly bothered by people liking Dora the Explorer orTwo and a Half Men. I'm only annoyed if people act like I'm supposed to enjoy something that I don't.

You seem butthurt.

Kill yourself, immediately.

>engineers are scientists. Unless you subscribe to the BBT of thought where geologists and engineers aren't considered real scientists, but for some reason psychologists are.
The distinction is clearly one of research and methodology over application and practicality.

Engineer is to physicist as social worker is to psychologist.

Is the Monroe Internet Defense Force supposed to be a hot new meme or what?