Is it worth starting a Blu-ray collection of films? When is it going to be replaced by a new format?

Is it worth starting a Blu-ray collection of films? When is it going to be replaced by a new format?

Or should I just stick to pirating?

4K Blu-rays are coming out. You could get those if you want to future proof.

vhs is better

also S-O-Y

This but unironically

>quality loss with every play

I dunno, it's always a question of money and space

Depends on how far you sit from from your TV, and its size.

Upgrades are a meme. I still have old dvds that look perfectly fine when I play them. I have mostly blu-rays, so I’ll wait on the 4K hype to die down before I start buying them for $50 a pop.

>Orange Bricks
A true autiste would have Dragon Boxes.

I always think amassing a bunch of blu rays and video games will make my life epic - is anyone else as stupid as me?

It depends. If you have the money, do it. And then you'll be able to pirate your own blu-rays legally (not to distribute them, but to download from the Internet in case you damage the disks).

I always think that too
But I'm very sure it doesn't

I have a somewhat decent collection of movies and games. All it is is a waste of space that I can't get rid of because nothing I have is of much value.

4k is emerging norm. 8k may replace it someday but it won't be for a long time

8K TV's are already out. Theres no telling when 8K content will actually be produced because the media Jews seem to have bungled up yet another post DVD format.

>physical media

Holy shit, gramps. The world has moved on like 15 years ago. I don't know anyone who uses physical media anymore. Everything is just copied/streamed from one device to another using general internet or direct connected with wifi or blutooth. Some older people out of the loop still use usb storage devices but they are usually over 30yo.

Blurays are something grandparents give their grandkids which never get used because most people don't even have disc players of any kind anymore.

I have the feeling that blu-rays (even if they get bigger resolution/size like 4K and 8K) will be the last physical media for films and series. After that it will all be "digital libraries"

>Physical Media

lol wut?

Blu-Ray is superior to watching films on theatrical "release prints" from when the classic movies came out. They a few steps down from the original negatives and had slightly more or less than 720p resolution.

Many Blu-Rays are scans of the actual film negatives so there is no generational loss and you see a far clearer picture than you would have in an old theater.

Only new movies that were finished at 4K or greater would be of higher quality than Blu, but new movies suck and it doesn't matter what format you watch them in. Most are still finished at 2K which is just 6% better quality than a 1080p Blu anyway.

What are you a hipster?

If you're going to collect physical at all you should be collecting old obsolete shit like laserdisk or something. No one except idiots will ever give a fuck about a bluray collection in your lifetime.

It depends on if you like watching movies more than once. I have a decent collection and I’m glad I have it, but I like watching good movies even if I’ve already seen them. Normies probably shouldn’t collect. You sound more like a social movie watcher.

>streaming
Yeah, that’s totally safe and not prone to fuckery of any kind.

I want to say that you can't do a (U)HD digital library platform without everyone having a decent internet service but the popularity of YIFY encodes really proves that people don't care much for quality over convenience.

This is correct.

4k is finally the limit for home at least, until they do some mad vr shit

>he doesn't know about netflix

Oh wow.

>not just torrenting the high quality version then deleting it when you are done

Is this a time travel thread?

the blue tinge fucks every movie to look like CSI

A lot of people still prefer buying DVDs

>Want to watch something that's not insanely popular
>HQ torrents are dead
>The only active ones are shitty 720p 500MB encodes monitored by lawyers

Good goy.

I always thought this was some sort of meme joke about "blu"ray, until I was over at a friend's house and we watched a movie. Holy fuck it was terrible.

Regular Blurays can achieve 20 Mb/s bitrates. UHD Blurays can support 100-125Mbps, or 8K at 64fps.

Streaming is only at about 5 mbps right now. That's actually about the same quality as most SD DVDs, which can reach 7-10 Mbps.

because they're cheaper

>he doesn't know about private trackers

I torrent, never stream, but everyone I know uses Netflix and streams.

Is this Sup Forums?......You sound like you are maturing. You will eventually just stop buying bullshit all together. Unless you are a "collector."

Who fucking cares when you watch it on your ipad, hipster.

but watching spooky stuff like the x files just isn't the same if you don't do in a vhs with fucked tracking

pathetic

>future proof

Oh lordy. You will throw a lot of money away thinking like that unless it's fucking furniture.

stick to pirating
its the smart thing to do

>Private tracker gets confiscated (which does happen by the way)
>All your downloads/ratios are tied to your account
>Get jailed because of damning evidence

>tfw I can stream movies downloaded to my phone to my 3' wide screen at 500Mbps.

If anything blu rays would be replaced with small high capacity cartridges most likely, single layer blu ray is 50gb, you can get 256gb micro sd cards. That's too expensive to put a single movie on but in 50 years if resolutions keep increasing, tvs are still a thing, and physical media is still a thing, it's probably some form of sd card or it's successor in terms of size and shape.

Every time I torrent something, I send a check to the studio and film an apology video clip with my stepkids on my lap. They need to learn that stealing is NOT alright, it's a fucking NO NO.

>I know uses Netflix and streams.
You need to know better people.

I know nobody who torrents and those that did got sued by lawyers and stopped

The thing about Netflix is that I own every movie they have that I like. Netflix was good when they had a nice collection of old, criterion-type movies. Now it’s just shitty original programming like Stranger Things... and they just keep raising the prices. I started off with a $6.99 account, now it’s up to like $11.99 and rises at least 1 dollar per year.

>getting your period on cam
how embarrassing

>He only watches streams and YIFY rips
Sad!

I lost almost everything in hurricane Sandy. NES, SegaCD, 32X, games, and a plethora of other bullshit I amassed in 33 years. Blessing in disguise. It liberated me of so much shit I'd been hauling around for years, but felt too guilty/nostalgic to get rid of. and I had renters insurance and got paid out the fucking ass

I have dozens of these types of pics.

f..fifty years? fuckin, in 50 years there won't even be movies just like mind experience upload shit. if it's not that much i can still say that fucking physical media for movies isn't going to be a thing in like 10 years

It won't be just streaming
They will offer you to purchase and download films on a device that will have lots of storage space. But they will also offer lower quality streaming for people who don't want that.

Films and shows will go the way of videogames. First you only needed the physical media, then you had to install them on the console/pc, now you also have to download most of the game files. Soon there will be no physical media.

>but in 50 years
I’ll be dead. My grandkids can throw away my blu-rays, I don’t give a shit. I like watching movies.

You sound smart and I need redpill my hoarder/collector friend on this 6% you speak of. Doesn't seem like something I can easily google, do you have a source for retards like me?

pirate.
buy multiple large HDDs and start hunting for quality rips
less expensive and more fun than collecting discs

>not sending a video of your wife and her bull instead

>Regular Blurays can achieve 20 Mb/s bitrates.
Many regular (non UHD) blurays have a video bitrate of ~35mbps. With multiple audio tracks, menus, commentaries etc it fills a dual layer 50GB disc.

>Bad man do thing
>Can no longer do thing

Stop breathing you SOYBOY

Get 35mm reels.

Regardless of how cheap SD storage becomes, it's going to take some serious advancements in manufacturing for them to ever be cheaper to produce than disks. As long as you can just sneeze out an entire warehouse full of perfectly good 50gb blu rays for comparatively nothing, no one's ever going to watch movies on SD cards.

What did xir mean by this?

The slight quality improvement isn't worth the 30gb download and storage. 4gb movies look fine to me.

>Is it worth starting a Blu-ray collection of films? When is it going to be replaced by a new format?

It's already being replaced with 4K which might be the only reason to still have physical media because of the file sizes.

That said, prepare your angus for more fucked up releases, odd colour corrections, digital smoothing, etc, etc.

Bluray was supposed to be uniformly better than DVD but for some reason every format change comes with a host of new fuckups when they reissue.

I have both physical and digital. Way more digital. But you gotta have something physical. If digital and legal iTunes is the best because they update movies you bought or buy to 4k HDR and add time to time the extras that would come with the blu ray and you don't have to buy it again. Google play movies is a fucking joke, Vudu is only good for free digital copies that come with discs. Pirating is gay.

their only hope is pairing 4k players with tvs. No ones going to buy that shit in 10 years.

all of this. have massive bluray collection. now that 4K is out I feel worthless. when blockbuster went up shit's creek i just started buying all movies i wanted to watch on blu-ray. they take up way too much space, time, and money. got sucked into lifestyle of bluray.com and all the crazy deals over the years. spent $72 dollars on Zatoichi Criterion 22 film Bluray and only watched one film. a lot of my movies and tv shows i will only watch once. repeat viewings only for kino.

blurays will become a cinephile format.

most people will be just fine with streaming, especially once 4K becomes standard.

the difference in quality between a 30Mb/s bluray and a 10-15Mb/s 4K stream is almost indiscernible at a distance.

I pirate all my movies

You need good connection to download proper hq torrents and if those hdd die your e fucked

>now that 4K is out I feel worthless
Why? There's barely 200 4K movies out. Blu Ray will never have a big a library as DVDs, and 4K will never be as big as Blu Ray.

I didn't start buying Blu Rays until Amazon was selling them for £5 and probably will do the same for 4k. It's not like there's a time limit on upgrading.

Are you a moron or just obscenely ignorant? Oh, I know, you're an MPAA shill.

You don't need to lie online to make friends, kid.

Why user? 1080 Blu-ray scaled up to 4K looks just fine. The only place 4K should matter is with titles where HDR is desirable, like Planet Earth or the Blade Runner flicks

>physical media

hahahahahahahahah!!!!!! 30+ year old spotted. Sup Forums isn't for you grandad.

Look out lads, we got a badass over here.

>1080 Blu-ray scaled up to 4K looks just fine.

That's because your 1080p native screen doesn't actually go to 4k. You could scale 1080p to 1024k and it'd still look like 1080p on your 1080p native screen.

nobody uses dead tech like t hat anymore

>space wasting physical media

I can fit 200 movies on this thing where each movie is a 50GB bluray equivalent. Even inside an external USB/firewire box it can fit in my back pocket. If I downloaded the average torrent quality movies it will fit something like 5,000 to 20,000 movies. Why do that when I can simply stream movies to my phone and have it stream to my big screen tv? I never have to waste space or buy anything else.

Bluray shit is so fucking obsolete and a cold turd.

>Bluray shit is so fucking obsolete and a cold turd.
Then why are you going through so much effort to steal them? Shouldn't you be watching DVD rips or reading books or something?

>buying

>Or should I just stick to pirating?

Is this even a fucking decision you need to make? Pirate everything.

studios are killing off 3D Blu-ray in North America in favor of 4K UHD physical & digital purchases. they will probably start fucking with Blu-ray disc very soon too. purposefully releasing subpar Blu-ray transfers and superior 4K transfers to trick people. raising prices on Blu-ray releases such as WB with IT & BR2049 $25 dollar release day prices & digital only director's cuts bullshit. the studios no longer want us to be happy with our Blu-ray purchases and it fucking sucks. I'd be on 4K already if I had not spent so much on Blu-ray.

... where do you think the 50GB rips come from?

oh right. blu rays.

>pirating is stealing

0/10

Almost all films are 2K, don't feel bad if you only have a Bluray version. Realistically 4K remasters would only be worth it if it's a 4K restoration of a 35mm or 70mm film, like Laurence of Arabia or some other Criterion Collection thing. A 4K remaster of the Star Wars prequels isn't going to look any better than the Blurays.

Oh no, I have been completely BTFO and you have distracted me from the fact that your post was retarded.

Thief.

If you can afford a 10TB drive you can also afford some plastic discs

The entire reason people like Blurays is because the quality is so much higher. Do you seriously think compressing a 40GB movie to 3GB has no impact on quality?

>paying for "licenses"
KEK

But YIFY said A:10 V:10 :^)

>actually buying physical media in 2018

if you really really really like the movie and want support the creators, sure. Also it has to be a quality film. If you're buying bluray for garbage like capeshit you're literally a consumerist soyboy retard

i can afford them but that is no reason to give (((them))) money

rich people are rich because they are prudent with money

Still some blue left in the midrange where shadows meet bright snow

Did they ruin the colors of the theatrical version or just EE?

What the fuck is this post

1080p scaled up to 4k on a 4k display would also look exactly like 1080p.

1080p at blu-ray bitrates looks great unless your screen is fuck huge or close to you. Most people posting don't have a 75" in a home theater.

Is using x265 on a Bluray rip a good idea? I don't know much about encoding but it says it should save half the space as x264/H.264.

Who bought a 10TB drive? The post in specifically states streaming over any type of physical media, even HDD.

It really doesn't matter as it turns out.

Mostly just the extended editions

So, you posted just to repeat what you are replying to? I guess you can't read or something? If you have a 4k monitor and 4k video, the difference between the 4k video and the upscaled from 1080p to 4k is fucking astounding. But, you poorfags will never know anything about that because you don't have a 4k monitor.