DC launches Kamandi Challenge, 12 issue miniseries featuring the best of the biz

>DC launches Kamandi Challenge, 12 issue miniseries featuring the best of the biz
>launches Bug!, six issue miniseries touring a variety of Kirby's creations
>6 one-shots in his birth month featuring one of his characters each

>Marvel does fucking nothing
What the fuck? It's getting harder to defend Marvel everyday, what happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

newsarama.com/34526-dc-unveils-jack-kirby-tribute-one-shots.html
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

EVEN IDW IS DOING SOMETHING

All of DC's offerings have shit creative teams tho

I believe there's a whole series of variant covers that are tribute to Kirby

>DC uses a dead man's anniversary as a marketing gimmick
>Marvel has been leeching off him since forever so they don't have to

None of them give a shit about Kirby, his legacy or anything of the sort. That's why both of them treated him like shit when he was alive.

At least Takiki is trying to adapt some of Kirby's sci-fi technology into Thor 3.

Marvel Comics stopped giving a shit about the Marvel Universe and jerks off all day because the MCU can support them.

DC's never had the same kind of safety net that Marvel's editors had where they can rely on WB or the movie studios to bail them out, while Marvel Comics can, now that they've driven away most of their talent. It's to the detriment of both companies, as we wouldn't have had the New 52 if WB was more like Disney, but we also wouldn't have had Rebirth, either.

You forgot about the Mister Miracle series by Tom King

The honchos at DC that love Kirby like Didio came long after he was dead.

>variant covers
That's worse than nothing.

Marvel did one thing but it was pretty shit - Monsters Unleashed

Kamandi has 12 teams, Allred duo is goat, Mister Miracle will likely bring out the best in Tom King

Idk about the one-shot teams though

They're also releasing this beast

Are they using the profits of these sales to fund some sort of initiative to help comic book artists to avoid the fate of people like Kirby, who ended up not owning any of their creations and begging for jobs that existed thanks to them in the first place? Or are they just pocketing the money while pretending to do it out of love for the man they screwed over when he worked for them?

Are you fucking brain dead? I just fucking said the ones who love him like Didio came to the company long after he was dead.
Your problem is with Stan Lee and Marvel who fucked him over not DC.

They're likely losing money on this, because nobody's buying Kamandi or Bug.

They're doing it just cuz they wanna.

Kirby made plenty of money he isn't Bill Finger or Superman's creators. He got fucked on credit not money.

Didio's always been like that. Say what you want about the man but as long as he can tell there's a dedicated creative team and a devoted fanbase behind a work he'll give it ample time to breathe. Secret Six and Giffen's Doom Patrol should've been cancelled long before they were.

He did get fucked when the companies were making millions and he was only gaining a small fraction of that.

And I'm not blaming Didio directly for this, but making others write his characters and make DC profit from it is not what I'd call a due tribute. It'd be better if they just aknowledge him, or did some sort of a charity thing on his memory instead. It'd be much more honest, and way less cynical.

>featuring the best of the biz
You must be joking

It's not like Kirby ever thought these characters were going to be his to own, he knew from the get-go that DC would be profiting off of them more than he ever would. Or do you think something like The Great Darkness Saga, which Kirby reportedly liked, was also not a due tribute.

Frankly, the fact that they're putting the time and effort into creating new works with these characters who weren't given much attention during Kirby's day (and that's not the fault of anyone still at DC) is more touching than just saying "hey we liked Kirby".

I seriously believe that when (or if) Marvel turns around and starts fixing their mistakes, they should issue some sort of apology to Kirby, either via some inititative or by launching some Kirby-inspired series, just something to show that they acknowledge their mistakes. It would go a long way to restoring fans' confidence in them

Marvel's always been this way, the businessmen who run it don't like the idea of creators being as important of names as the characters, because unlike characters you can't own creators.

Shooter spent years desperately trying to work out a deal just to allow creators to get their own fucking artwork back.

The problem with Marvel is and always has been that they're run by soulless businessmen.

Ironically with how generous DC have been about giving out royalties on both reprints and on characters and concepts appearing in movies/shows (Starlin reportedly made more money off of KGBeast being in BvS than he made from the entirety of the MCU so far), Kirby would probably be making millions from DC while Marvel built an entire billion dollar film franchise off of his work. I wonder if his estate is getting all that money now.

one-shots in his birth month featuring one of his characters each

Eh?

newsarama.com/34526-dc-unveils-jack-kirby-tribute-one-shots.html

>Titles and creative teams for the one-shots have not yet been announced,

Dammit.

How is making some subpar retreads of his creations touching?
And saying they knew they were going to get screwed over doesn't really make it ok. The way the industry managed to corner creators into giving up their due creative rights for so long is a really fucked up thing that only now is starting to slowly be reverted.

And yes, it's true that Marvel has been shittier than DC in this regards lately, but let's not forget DC only recently started to give the proper credit to Bill Finger for Batman, and how they screwed Moore with Watchmen.

holy fuvk

>How is making some subpar retreads of his creations touching?
>How is taking the time to do something new with these creations more touching than just saying "this guy existed, we acknowledge him"
Nobody was cornering Kirby into a corner. He was the one that went to DC and both of them were making a big deal of it back in the day. His friend Evanier went into great detail about how Kirby was happy with the deal in his Kirby biography.

>their due creative rights
Nothing in this life is due.

And they didn't really screw over Moore with Watchmen. The deal was that as soon as it went out of print the rights would revert. There's been an audience demand for the book ever since it was published. Let's not forget that they offered Moore a significant sum of royalty money when the film came out and it was Moore who turned them down.

>Kamandi has 12 teams
And like one or two of them are even close to being good

>>DC launches Kamandi Challenge, 12 issue miniseries featuring the best of the biz
>>launches Bug!, six issue miniseries touring a variety of Kirby's creations
one-shots in his birth month featuring one of his characters each
>
>>Marvel does fucking nothing

I mean the Avengers, X-Men, Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Black Panther, Silver Surfer all had books before the need to do a gimmick

there is still some bad blood between Marvel and Kirby even though they are both dead.

Plus lots of comic book writers/creators are KirbyBabies and if they work at DC they use any excuse to play with his characters. Whereas at Marvel they play with his characters all the time anyway

>Nobody was cornering Kirby
If you wanted to make a living out of comics, you had to work with either Marvel or DC, because they pushed every other company out of business, or relegated them to a very niche audience. So yes, Kirby was "happy" with the deal because it was better than what he got before, but for some reason he ended up leaving there as well. Marvel and DC are a perfect example of monopoly gone wrong, and the reason why American comics have always been so backwards when compared to comics in the rest of the world.

And they did screw over Moore, they promised him to give them the rights after it went out of print, but they just kept printing it. That's just shitty. And no, they didn't do it because of popular demand of the book. Other popular books have gone out of print, at least temporarily. They did it so they didn't have to give the rights back to him. And Moore didn't want money, he wanted the rights, so the point of them offering money does nothing but show how shitty these companies are, that think they can fix their shady proceedings by simply throwing money at people.
And this is without even going into the Watchmen merchandise thing.

Kamandi has had some solid creative teams
and how is Allred not a top name in the field ?

Starlin says he doesnt know one of his characters were used in a marvel movie/cartoon until a friend tells him.
He gets a check in the mail Every time DC uses one of his guys.

>but for some reason he ended up leaving there as well.
Because none of his books were selling well and he became tired with his creations not going anywhere. All of the original founders of Image left at one point or another besides Larsen, that doesn't mean Image has an inherently anti-creator rights demeanor.

What's insulting is how stupid you think Kirby was. Why do you think he went to DC in the first place? It was not to make original properties thinking he would make millions off of creator owned content.

>135$ for 35 pages

I expected more pages desu

>DC didn't acknowledge Kirby
How much is Stan paying you? How may free rides do you get to go on at Disney World?

>tfw you realize that Jack Kirby looks like an italian mob boss

I know he didn't think that, because that's not how the industry worked thanks to the shitty practices of DC and Marvel. That's why I said all the creators were cornered because it was either accept those shitty conditions or not make a living from comics.
It's like implying those early industrialists and exlpoited the life (sometimes literally) out of their workers were right, and the ones at fault were the workers for even accepting those conditions. It was that or no work at all.
The difference was that industrial workers managed to create unions and other initiatives that keep the companies under some kind of control and regulation, something that hasn't happened at all in comics, mostly due to it being a passion work for many of the workers in that area, which means it's easier for those companies to manipulate them.

>>DC didn't acknowledge Kirby
Where the fuck in my post did I say that?
And even more so, where the fuck did I defend Marvel?

>we call it KIRBY, without it none of this would be possible

Forever People was a love letter to Kirby.

Wrong! Marvel is still selling Kirby's artwork without his family's consent.

>It'd be better if they just aknowledge him,
Yeah you said it

All they did was recolor his art. It's disgusting.

Yeah but every time Didio writes a Kirby character the first thing he does is reject Kirby's own fiction from canon. That's more than a little bullshit.

But they did. They made Captain America into a Nazi.

Happy Anniversary, Jack!

that penny-pinching cuck derserves it

>defend Marvel
Why bother defending a multi-billion dollar corporation? I'll never understand the fanboy mindset. I enjoy some stuff Marvel does but I don't delude myself into thinking I'm enjoying anything other than a soulless corporate product. I do not care if other people dislike these products, and I do not care whether or not they sell well.

Kirby going to DC and poor workers with no options but to work in dangerous conditions are not even comparable, just stop

>Marvel doing anything to acknowledge gross old racist white men

Yes it is comparable because they were both the companies exercising their greed at the expense of the well being of their workers, because it was not only about the dangerous working conditions but also the shit salaries they got for their work.
Of course, the case of the poor workers was more extreme, so it called for extreme actions to take place to be changed, because there were lives at stake, either from the working conditions or because they just didn't have any money to feed their families. The fact that the stakes aren't so extreme in the comic book world is what has allowed it to go for so fucking long, but they're working under the same principles the industralists did at first. Fucking comic book artists have no fucking health insurance or retirment pensions, and they have to do charity events every time one of them gets ill and can't afford his bills, for fuck's sake.
What I don't understand is why until this day they never had a fucking union.

oh come on now... Disney will celebrate his anniversary at their D23 event... give some credit at least!

Hey Jew I reccomend not showing your hand. It never works out well for you "people"

Because drawing doodles is a hobby you should be lucky to be paid for, not a career that you should demand respect for.

Those doodles they draw are worth millions nowadays, and even help to keep industries like Hollywood afloat. But these companies exploit this feeling retards like you have in order to make artists feel like they're doing them a favor by giving them work.

>Hey Jew
Why don't you look who runs those companies I'm ranting against?

>Why don't you look who runs those companies I'm ranting against?
Jews like Kirby

How?

bump

> Mike Allred
> Shit
No

Marvel's audience doesn't know who Jack Kirby is.

Nonsense, Marvel added him into the Hall of Legends for creating the Inhumans!

I like Bug's art but I feel like you need to be very familiar with older Silver Age DC and Kirby's works to appreciate it. I might have to drop it, but then again it's only a six issue series

So Disney is doing more than Marvel Comics.

That somehow makes it worse.

>what happened?
Disney.

>I like Bug's art but I feel like you need to be very familiar with older Silver Age DC and Kirby's works to appreciate it. I might have to drop it, but then again it's only a six issue series

Oh wow, it's like a Kirby tribute series exploring his creations focuses on his creations.

No need for sarcasm, I understand that and expect no less from the series. I was just disappointed when I realized I don't quite fit the necessary criteria to fully enjoy it, which is entirely on me

Bullshit

Absolute bullshit
Everyone high up in the company were massive cunts long before Disney came along.
Disney did make them worse by making them so financially secure that they can be lazy forever, but they were already evil.

It's almost like there's shitty jews and nice ones. As if they were people!

Kirby grew up in an era where it wasn't uncommon to come face to face with real mobsters on the street. It's pretty clear from reading interviews with him and people who knew him, that he had no respect for gangsters' choice of profession and way of life, but Kirby definitely understood tough talk and the language of street violence from his upbringing.

>Avengers
Doesn't contain a single Kirby character right now.

>X-Men
Cyke, Jean, and Xavier are dead, Beast is autistic, Iceman is gay, Warren is off being edgy. The O5 are a shitshow.

>Captain America
Currently Black diversity legacy and/or a Nazi

>Thor
Stripped of power to push a diversity legacy

>Hulk
Currently dead and replaced by a diversity legacy and/or alive but controlled by Nazis and about to die again

>Black Panther
Hijacked by a BLM SJW

>Silver Surfer
Cancelled and a bad copy of Doctor Who as told by Slott

That's Marvel's grand celebration of Kirby.

Oh wow, look at all that profit they're leeching off Kirby's creations. That's almost a tiny fraction of what a Marvel Movie does. That's almost above cancellation levels during the New 52 Era. Literally none of Kirby's works in DC will ever pull anything the same level he did on Marvel making any attempt at them a huge dive unless it's an event that features New Gods. If you think that what Didio and Co did was a blatant cash grab then I don't know about you but is an expected sales of >20K at best what you were thinking?

They have been, it's like eh' at best. Chaykin is doing the Newsboy Legion one. Jurgens is on one of them, so is Didio. I think Priest is doing Black Racer, I'm not sure.

heck and by New Gods, I mean Darkseid. Literally Darkseid is the only New God that even has any sort of pull in the market as seen in the uptick JL got during Darkseid War (God that was fucking disappointing). You think King's Miracle/Barda Book is gonna do good? It's gonna do 50K at best. All those 4th World One Shots DC is doing later this year? The best they're gonna do is 40K. Screen Cap this.

Why aren't they creating new characters and keep trying to leech from whatever Kirby created for them, and the Charlton and Fawcett characters?
Because artists finally started to wise up and they're all pretty fucking reluctant about creating new characters for either Marvel or DC, now that they have outlets for creator owned content that allows them to keep the rights and creative control on their own work.
The fact that Kirby didn't create as many memorable characters for DC than he did for Marvel shouldn't distract you from realizing they're the same shit at their core.

Make Mine Marvel!

>Hijacked by a BLM SJW

But Kirby was for civil rights.

Has one user ever been BTFO this badly before?

So was Bernie Sanders

Some of his rallies got hijacked by BLM anyway

>His Black Panther was a friend of the F4 who played baseball with them, studied in universities outside Africa, loved classical music, and spoke highly of European culture and values.

>Modern Black Panther is FUCK WHITEY WE CAN'T GIVE THEM THE CURE FOR CANCER BECAUSE THEY TOO STUPID THEY'D HURT THEMSELVES WITH IT

>so much projection

wew lad

They literally refused to give them the cure to cancer though. This is fact. There's no projection here.

You give white people the cure to cancer and they'll just turn it into weapon rather than use it to help people. This is something that has happened in the comics.

>Currently Black diversity legacy and/or a Nazi
You say Nazi like it's a bad thing.

They made Cap a Nazi. That's...something.

Kirby created Falcon, why would he be upset that he took over for Steve when Steve no longer could do the job? And Hydra Steve is literally made to think he's a Nazi, it's a classic mind control trope.

Then why not give black people the cure for cancer? I'm pretty sure non-white people get cancer too.

Because whitey would just steal and abuse it.

Marvel has the money for shills?

Horseshit. Paul Levitz was helping run DC by the 80's when Kirby was still alive. AND he along with Jenette Kahn got Kirby to get more royalties from the New Gods by letting him redesign them for the Super Powers toyline.

Kirby had a pretty good deal at DC, and DC still pays residuals. Google: Len Wein on Luscious Fox

>Doesn't contain a single Kirby character right now.

Aren't Hercules and Jane Foster on the team?

fun fact: New Gods was work for hire to create a toyline (creation of toylines was the only reason DC initially hired Kirby, and his work on other comics was purely so that he could meet his monthly contractual obligations and get paid - he hated pretty much everything he worked on there, as DC stretched it out and tried to turn it all into long-running series)

so by "celebrating" the work Kirby did for DC, they're actually insulting his memory; Marvel might well be doing what he'd have wanted (up to a point - they are after all making movies about his creations Captain America and Groot, among others)

Kirby's vision for New Gods and for comics in general was as novella-style fictions with defined beginnings and endings

which proves to you what a bullshit non-event this is, since he clearly never worked for them

Kirby didn't need work at the end, he liked to work

learn the difference

not necessarily true: just because Len Wein says he's getting money doesn't mean he is or it's substantial, and even if he is, it doesn't mean Kirby signed the same contract

you can't reason with broflakes user

>fun fact: New Gods was work for hire to create a toyline (creation of toylines was the only reason DC initially hired Kirby, and his work on other comics was purely so that he could meet his monthly contractual obligations and get paid - he hated pretty much everything he worked on there, as DC stretched it out and tried to turn it all into long-running series)

[citation needed]

Their release schedule is like the Inhumans' (also Lee/Kirby creations) 50th anniversary two years ago.

>Kirby
>gross white man
Pick one.

Full list:
>The New Gods - Shane Davis with Michelle Delecki, backup by Walter Simonson
>The Newsboy Legion Boy Commandos - Howard Chaykin
>The Sandman - Written by Dan Jurgens and Steve Orlando, art by Jon Bogdanove and Rick Leonardi (also featuring a seldom-seen Sandman story from the 1970s)
>Manhunter - Written by Keith Giffen and Dan DiDio, art by Nick Bradshaw, Etrigan back-up story written by Sam Humphries, Etrigan back-up art by Klaus Janson
>Darkseid - Written by Mark Evanier, art by Scott Kolins, OMAC back-up written by Sam Humphries, OMAC back-up art by Steve Rude
>The Black Racer and Shilo Norman - Written by Reginald Hudlin, art and cover by Denys Cowan and Bill Sienkiewicz

read a fucking book, cunt

It seems you're the one who needs to. New Gods was a passion project. When DC later made the Super Powers toy line they used the New Gods characters to flesh out the line, especially the villains. They asked Kirby to come back to work on the mini series that stared them and the make the Hunger Dogs to wrap it up. He was happy to oblige.

He even chose to leave Orion and Darkseid alive at the end despite his initial plan to kill them because of how that would effect a toy line.

His Omac was a ground up revamp. The entirety of the New Gods the past few years has ignored Kirby's own comics as part of the new 52 reboot. I'm not sure about how they're handling Kamandi. Their recent Demon stuff has been out of character too.

>OMAC back-up written by Sam Humphries, OMAC back-up art by Steve Rude
>Not reuniting Giffen and Didio for more OMACTIVE!

Oh well... Hopefully Manhunter makes up for it.

Steve Rude is one of the best and Humphries is getting better. So it could still be a great back up.