The Great X-Men Storytime - Vol. 5: Fall of the Mutants (Part 8)

Today, the X-Men are 54.

The X-Men are dead.
Long live the X-Men.

PREVIOUSLY ON X-MEN:

I thought you died????????

Yes, I am not dead, and yes, I am very, very, /very/ sorry for not being around for so long. This has been a trying year for me.

Now things have slowed down and I'm ready to get back on the saddle.

Reports of my deaths exaggerated, etc, etc.
Hugs, kisses, blah, blah, blah.
Now that that's out of the way, let's read some fucking comics!

ALL NEW ALL DIFFERENT X-user

Been awhile, time for madipoor!

I never played Wolverine Origins, did that have any stealth levels?

'Sup, user. More like All-Old All-Busted haha

HOLY SHIT YOU'RE BACK

You don't have to apologise for not wasting your time for hours on end storytiming for anons. But it's appreciated

Great page. Buscema was a master.

Hi, user!

Nah, I felt shitty for putting this off for so long. Guess I'm just lame like that heh
I was actually not going to do this tonight, but then Liefeld reminded me it was the muties' birthday, so I just had to come back.

That fucking pile of bad guys.

The violence in Logan made me sad we didn't get a full R action Wolverine movie with Prime Jackman

Something like this, with a bunch of guys piling on Logan as he cuts them down, with a R rating woulda been great.

Speaking of Logan, I really liked it, but I have to agree with Sarah Horrocks that even a movie as good as that still can't touch what BWS or Claremont/Miller did.

I feel like Logan had a bunch of good ideas that never fully came together.

Glad someone realized they should just make a western with him though

I'm definitely biased when I say that because I've been reading through a lot of stuff lately, and man, comics are fucking awesome. People who complain about not having enough to read just don't look hard enough.

And yes, reading stuff, both books and comic books, is one of the reasons I've been out of the game for so long.

The X-Men in general, both as a group and individuals, lend themselves really well to other genres. It's a shame most people don't realize that. Then again, I've always been a sucker for experimental runs.

He's easier to root for as a protagonist in the comics even when he's in that stage of fucked up. And visually the comics are much more striking.

There were some tonally odd bits and pieces, probably a product of marketing/corporate editing. Or maybe not, otherwise I assume they'd have sequels planned.

I LOVE YOU X-user

Anything you wanna spotlight particularly?

Wuv u too, user

Nah I think part of the marketing was that it's Jackman's last ride.

tfw they won't recast a short ugly dude
tfw danny devito is too old

Mostly entry-level stuff, but I've enjoyed it a lot so far:
-Fun Home and Are You My Mother?
-Badger
-American Flagg
-Cerebus (really goes off the rails at one point, but it's always a fascinating read)
-By Faith or Providence
-Eightball
-Dork
-Bandette
-Jim Woodring's Frank
-Strangers in Paradise
-March
-Scud: The Disposable Assassin
-Judge Dredd
-Shakara
-The Ballad of Halo Jones
-Zenith
-The Stuff of Legend
-D.R. and Quinch
-This One Summer
-Wonton Soup
-Paradax!

And that's not counting the stuff I already read, which is quite a bit.

I feel overdosed on cape movies but I still think Logan left Laura in a really good place for any sequel.

yeah but they aren't gonna do any movies in the post-apocalypse of Logan.

still expecting the poor girl to get rachel grey'd to the past

Welcome back X-user!

Quick question, did you do Fall of the Mutants proper before you left?

>Mr. Eastwood
I think a Charlton Heston joke would've been funnier.

I fucking love this pin-up.

Time for a messed up digital edition, courtesy of Marvel, as always.

>Coles Phillips' Wolverine

Wew lad

Yeah, I even sneaked in a Daredevil tie-in issue.

Oh look, it's Patch Adams.

It's amazing how the X-Men, when done right, can damn near fit any setting. Magical, Sci-Fi, Mysteries, Comedy, good Drama.

Their just below Spider-Man in story versatility. (IMHO, my Marvel story versatility list is Spidey, X-Men, The Thing, Luke Cage & Iron Fist).

next wolverine movie should just be called PATCH

ill read everything this thursday, thank X user (too many exams and papers to write for a few days)

I'm defo biased when I say this, but I think that the idea of having the X-Men do stuff without their costumes has been normalized at such a point that they fit practically every genre even more so than Spidey, who still needs to put on his costume in order for the story to work as a Spider-Man story, and not just a "random schmuck with superpowers" story.

I know that feel. You do you, user.

>Canadian superhero Wolverine first appeared in the final page of The Incredible Hulk #180 (July 2, 1974).

HY *clap* PER *clap* CRI *clap* SIS

I love the striking use of red and black panels, you rarely see stuff like that anymore.

And then there's this asshole.

Ha!

I loved Silver Samurai growing up, he's got a neat design.

Both Buscemas don't get the love they deserve. Sal's one of my all time favorite Spidey artists. The Buscemas are some of the guys I'd consider quintessential Marvel artists along with Kirby, both JRSr and JRJr and maybe Ron Lim if you want to go cosmic.

The X-user has returned. Thank Cyclops. Any chance he has an updated mega?

The hell are you wearing, Jess?

Nah, I'd argue they're Marvel's most versatile property by far because you can put them in almost any genre and it works. Spider-Man doesn't work, for example, as a globetrotting hero or like what Slott has him as and I don't even like it when he starts getting mixed up in mystical or cosmic stuff.

The X-Men don't really have that problem though.

Well, John has that "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" book, right? So he certainly defined the look of a generation.

I only update the Mega when I'm done with a volume, so you're gonna hafta wait for a while. Sorry

Neat trick.

How convenient.

Why the hell did you take your clothes off, Logan? Were you planning to fight her naked? Silly Canuck.

I kinda miss back when they colored blood black.

Don Heck!! the underrated and overlooked bullpin member

though i wouldn't have a defense if you said he was just imitating those others.

also Byrne

So the blade sluttifies whoever holds it? Makes sense.

classic claremont really

We've missed you so much. Sup Forums has been shit without you.

Aw shucks, thanks mang.

That's because the X-men are so diverse, in all meanings of the word. Personality, powerset, census checklist, everything. I wonder if anyone at Marvel is aware of the doublethink necessary to marginalize the X-men during their big diversity push

Just buckling all the swashes here

user, they were unironically gassing a minority to death. There is no sense of self-awareness in that company, not anymore.

Come on, they're owned by Disney. A corporation that large has a limitless capacity for doublethink.

Speaking of current Marvel, should I bite the bullet and read Cable? I like Pacheco, I used to like Robinson, Cable's a pretty alright fellow, and we're getting new New Mutants in that book apparently.
So yeah, all in all, pretty tempting stuff.

It might be cool to see in modern comic art. There was something recently I already don't remember the name of that made all the blood like a neon palette.

Yikes.

Buscema seems fond of bare legs.

Hah.

I ship it desu

That's alright. I can wait.

Well, poop. Be right back, fellows.

the first issue was, fine. nothing special or memorable.

Give it a try.

Spidey is at his funniest when he deals with absurd shit. Like the time he joined the Avengers and the universe got temporarily erased. Parker was so outta his lane it was hilarious.

Does Silver Samurai ever do magic kung fu with the cutting energy?

Alright, dog got his walk, let's finish this.

I see. Might give it a try if I have the time.

I think he used to only use his sword, which is weird, because samurai were usually trained in several forms of combat and were specially proficient with bows.

Problem is, he's dead, and his non-mutant son replaced him, so we never got to see any of that "magic kung fu"

Byrne is a great artist

Fucking kek, the hell are you supposed to be, Wolvie? A gay oni?

Hooky is the best Spider-Man story

Man, Buscema's Conan is really showing with this ceremony shit, ain't it?