Was Scrappy-Doo THAT bad?

Was Scrappy-Doo THAT bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z-_on5B--Sc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I personally don't think so, he wasn't great tho but yeah I was mildly surprised at the hate/dislike he got.

He was a mistake.

yes he was fucking terrible

>flesh-colored eyes

Scrappy-Doo is the "resuscitating the dead horse" of beating the dead horse, only to beat it some more and resuscitate it again.

In the stories which include velma/fred/daphne he's essentially redundant because there are already people in the cast who want to go investigate the monster.
He works well enough in the stories which only have shaggy and scooby tho.

All Franchise Babies shows were terrible.

Scooby Doo was already a goofy mascot/sidekick.
Why make another one?

Take out the "S" in his name and you will have your answer

This
I still fucking hate him though

The original audiences liked him. The ones who watched the reruns? Not so much.

Hating on the pup became an inside meme in the "resurrected" franchise, mostly as a way for newfags to seem like "oldfags".

Also, shitty voice acting

Scrappy was right and did nothing wrong. Attacking """""monsters""""" who were usually old men in masks was the right thing to do and would have solved most mysteries in 5 minutes.

He was a coke head in a group of young hippies, of course it would not work

Now, if you wanna talk about objectively TERRIBAD, there's Scooby Dum.

This guy was way worse than Scrappy

Bunch of faggots in this thread.

Yes.

That's why we swore to never talk about it.

That's the problem. It directly conflicts with the storytelling.

I seem to recall in Scrappy's episodes the monsters were all real anyway.

That was one of the shows where the monsters were real.

13 Ghosts iirc, but in the rest, they were fake except Mystery Inc, kinda.

i liked scrappy doo, big heart in a small body

James Gunn wrote an entire movie to make sure his utter hatred of Scrappy Doo would show and would get passed to the next generations so that no one would ever use him again seriously
And I trust James Gunn

Scrappy was the result of using the age-old tactic of adding a cute kid or animal to the cast of a flailing show/franchise. It was a sign of desperation from the showrunners.

And, no, the ones watching the original broadcasts also thought shoving him into the show was stupid as well.

Scooby Dum shows how desperate HB was when they saw Scrappy failed to reignite the shows. It was the same as drilling a second hole in a sinking boat to let the incoming water out.

Scrappy was okay. He was at his best in the movies with Scooby and Shaggy and when he was with the entire group in the cartoon.

He doesn't deserve the hate he gets.

Didn't the creators say that Scrappy saved the show and the hatred was after the fact?

Scooby Dum is just... there in his episodes being a fucking simpleton; he eats up screentime and is overall pointless comic relief. But Scrappy's mystery-centric episodes at least present him as an additional foil to Shaggy and Scooby, which means he actually *does* stuff. It might not actually work, but it's a thing.

However, Scrappy represents more than just an annoying "Nephew/Niece" archetype who exists to cause trouble for the central character. He represents the drastic change ups of the show. After he showed up, we got the horrible Non-mystery Scooby doo stuff which were just bland-as-hell shorts that offered nothing, not even when Shaggy and Scooby worked in a detective agency and tried to break up a mafia meeting. When Scrappy is in a mystery episode, Velma, Fred and Daphne have even less to do in the story. And then things went even further. Episodes where he entirely replaced Velma and Fred, the 13 Ghosts series that gave us Vincent Price (yay) but also fucking added a *second* Scappy character (and I have legit never seen anyone defend Flim Flam) and then they just made a few movies which were goofy/spooky adventures starring Shaggy and Scooby and Scrappy with little else in conjunction with the series.

After this, we got A Pup named Scooby doo and then nothing for ages until they went back to what worked originally.

I think there are worse nephew characters (Popeye's nephews, Jade, Quack Pack era H,D,&L) but Scrappy represents the biggest shake ups to a show and if people are upset about that, he is quick to take the blame.

In mexico we love him. i actually ike him because the voice acting for scrappy wanst bad.

He really wasn't. It's a fucking meme at this point.

Scrappy did nothing wrong

>Scooby Dum shows how desperate HB was when they saw Scrappy failed

I thought Dum came first.

Didn't he have a pituitary problem? Ah, well...the only value he has is Rule 34 material: Human women are suckers for cute little dogs. When they see the full-size bone, he may just be scoring more chicks than Brian Griffin.

That pathetic move was the death-knell of many an 80's show.

I think so as well. Hey, remember when both he and Scooby were trying to fuck their own cousin?

Scrappy was a typical case of "quick, lets make a new character to get people interested again" that was common back in the day. Unfortunately, Scrappy became a prime example of why that is a bad idea.

Not really, but it was easy to see how his character didn't gel that well with the original SD dynamic (though it can equally said that the formula of the series wasn't anything to write home about). It is a shame they couldn't include him in the MIverse in some greater way, maybe rewriting him to be less obnoxious, but still courageous.

That live action movie where he turned evil is canon so yes.

>canon
There is no canon in Scooby Doo

THE GREAT SPACE COASTER!!!

Scrappy was extreme successful, though. Otherwise he wouldn't have been in every incarnation for the next decade. The reason he's hated is because he was added 10 years after the franchise started, so there was a lot of "not muh scooby doo" from people who had watched the original series a decade before.

How does it feel being so wrong?

I only liked him in that movie. He was...nice. Except for when he transformed. That was cheesy as hell.

Scrappy Doo was a successful character at the time who saved the franchise from dying. He served his purpose of keeping the Scooby Franchise going.

The hatred for Scrappy Doo after the fact has always felt really forced, as I could never really find an issue with him.

I wouldn't say it's entirely forced, he may have helped saved the show at the start, but they never really did anything with him to make the change up have greater effects. All he did was just coax Scooby to be brave (sometimes it kind of worked, other times not so much) and try to fight the monster of the day head on. That got annoying after a while and while maybe some people have taken the hatred to completely unhealthy levels, it's not entirely unjustified like some other things.

So it's less that the character exists, and more the fact that he's underutilized? They never expanded on him or developed him, and tried to put him in everything, which led to a burnout?

Pretty much. And that's something that was true for much of the franchise. It was a cute concept at the start, but didn't do any much to shake up its formula for the longest time. The red-shirt trilogy kicked off the idea about actual paranormal shit happening to the gang, with 13 Ghosts being the first show to not only apply that, but an ongoing plot as well. Though as we know, that didn't play out as neatly as it should have, and we then went back to the basic formula for A Pup and What's New? before Get a Clue gave the plot angle another shot and bumbled it's way to an end. Now while Mystery Incorporated was the first series to really shake things up (namely giving the gang various flaws), it'd be wrong to ignore the movies (both the new animated serial Zombie Island started, and the Gunn films) which did see changes to the dynamic that many of the shows that followed would utilize.

He saved the Scooby Doo franchise

He was worse

I don't think he was as bad as they make him out to be. in fact I don't remember the hate for him until after the first live action movie did it

Except it saved the show at that time ye boobs.

Shoe-horned in little kid characters that are supposed to be analogues for the kids at home never work. Just because they represent the audience didn't mean we didn't hate them any less.

Whether you hate him or you don't, can we at least all agree the Scrappy Rap was an unforgivable offense?

Could be worse

There are fucking Scooby Doo scholars in this thread and I ain't even mad.

This is who Poochie was based on

I definitely hated him when I was a kid, I basically prayed every episode that no one would hold him back during his "PUPPY POWER" autistic fits and that he'd fucking die

It always annoyed me how writers elf insert their hate into the characters and make Shaggy or Scooby be annoyed or hate Scrappy. It is retarded and OOC. Scooby was his uncle he would die to protect him. The live action Scooby Doo was worhtless piece of trash

Problem is that he wasn't even relatable to little kids. I remember when i was a kid, he pissed me off because he always do the same schtick and always endanger the entire team. Often opnening doors for the villain or letting him know where Scoobie and Shaggy is.

He was kind of relatable, a lot of kids are brave in that foolish way where they just think "Alright, I'll take this guy on. I can do this! I CAN WIN!" mentality. As you said though, his shtick became pretty obvious early on and thus it was tricky to enjoy him when you knew he would either
>A) Get Scooby psyched up to fight the monster
>B)Egg the monster into attacking him before being saved by Scooby or Shaggy

...And always scream that annoying "PUP-PEE POW-WEEEEEEEEEER!" at some point.

Hell, Wesley or whatever his name was from TNG wasn't even as fucking annoying as Scrappy could be. He at least didn't have a catchphrase.

I unironically thought he was cute.

He is so hated they made the first live action movie canon just to make him a villain.

The live action movie was my first introduction to the Scrappy hatred as a 7 year old who was still seeing him in reruns most days.

Wasn't that a kick in the face.

I would honestly love to see a Scooby-Doo series try to bring back and redeam Scrappy. Just to see if they could do it.

I imagine if they had thought of a way to, they might have had him in Mystery Inc., even as a once in a while help.

Probably didn't want to mess up the five-man dynamic that the series was going for (given how it tied into the ending), and likely just went with the joke since it would be the most recognizable reference.

Relating to kids is what Flim Flam was for. by the by: Was that one-armed kid in the backstory of Scooby Apocalypse supposed to be a reboot of Flim Flam?

>redeam

yes

You sayin' you wouldn't, user?

That's pretty autistic of you, user.

I was a little kid with anger problems and violent tendencies that just wanted to be the good guy. Self identified with Scrappy and loved the character. Grow up to find out everybody else hates him.

He calmed down a lot in the 80s after Fred and Velma left. He pretty much became the straight man for. I don't think there's Andy era of Scooby I particular hate. I hate the movies though and part of the hate for the first one was the Scrappy treatment.

Proof reading is my friend

I know they're dogs and it probably doesn't matter but are they related?

how the hell would ANYONE would, if nobody knows her? i certainly not, unless i was drugged during that time, i NEVER saw the scooby-dum or... ugh... 'Scooby-dee' episodes seriously, what kind of name is that for a literal bitch?.

or maybe god was merciful with us mexicans and the episodes were never broadcasted, which is a strange thing since the 2 dogs were featured in some H-B promo albums and stuff here.

BITCHY
BITCHY DOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!