When did you realize (the hard way) that you were getting older?

When did you realize (the hard way) that you were getting older?

When I had to explain the plot of "The Sound of Thunder" to a younger friend.

Sorry, "A Sound of Thunder".

When I thouht a kid was talking about Iron Giant and he was actually talking about Red Steel.

That's not the most painful thing.

When a younger cousin of mine asked what the save symbol on the computer was, and I realized that I hadn't used a floppy disk in 10 years.

Old my ass. I'm in the prime of my life. You people act like being in your 20's is like being 70.

Thanks to internet speeding up cultural change time in the west, we might as well be 70.

It is when you don't have a future.

I'm not even in my 20s until next year and I have friends younger than me, literal high school aged kids, who think they're old because of dumb shit like "wow...the N64 was released 20 years ago" and because Teen Titans hasn't been on the air for 10+ years. I'm seconding this user, y'all are stupid.

I'm actually much happier in my late 20's than in my early 20's. I'm a lot more comfortable with myself and more sociable. Any other fellow 26-30 year old's feel the same?

This. About to enter 30's and feel fucking great!

Today, when I encountered someone here that has never seen Dexter

Yep. Pretty common feeling.

I thought 27-29 was late 20s. 24-26 would be "mid 20s"

I'm 30 years old and I feel like I'm more successful and accomplished than I was at any point prior in my life. I feel like I'm in a really good spot as a writer, student, and person, and the future looks really bright. I feel bad for the poor bastards who peaked in their 20s--or, God forbid, in high school.

People started calling me sir and asking me for advice.
It felt great.

>or, God forbid, in high school

There's something seriously wrong with people pushing 30 wishing they were back in high school.

I assume the majority of people who don't get happier end up killing themselves by that point.

Is that the time traveling dinosaur hunters story?

Yes, the one where the horrifying ending meant to scare us is the reality we live in right now.

Twenty nine, and part of me wants to be back in high school, just because the worlds was not so large and complicated back then. I mean I was in a graduating class of 60ish, knew just about everyone in my high school by name, and it felt right. College and life after high school gave me such bad anxiety, panic and depression that I'm medicated and housebound 90% of the time.

pretty much i even stopped doing mordecais with the chicks, feels great.

>tfw someone went back in time and now we have Trump for President

I bet it was Elon Musk

30+ and my master's degree is proving to be virtually worthless (not even fruity liberal arts BS) so life is kind of frustrating.

I look back on high school as a bunch of boring shit, though.

>College and life after high school gave me such bad anxiety, panic and depression that I'm medicated and housebound 90% of the time.

Hence user saying "there's something seriously wrong with people pushing 30 wishing they were back in high school". Sounds like you're stunted.

earlier today when I realized okkusenman and airman ga taosenai were both 10 years old

normies, kindly please go.

I'm a 24 year old schmuck who's lost all sense of pride or ambition. What's your secret?

I don't even have a master's, what's the point of living if even you can't do anything?

fappan

>28
>been working towards my career since I was 22
>put a lot of money towards a college course
>never worked before in my life
>it's all paid off and I have the job of my dreams
>already made back what my course cost in 3 weeks

No doubt something horrible will happen with the economy or whatever, but at this moment in time, it really feels fucking fantastic. Never been happier or more content in my life.

That's a normal feeling at that age. Chances are you'll feel aimless or listless for a while until reality hits and you have to change course.

I am glad you're doing well, user.

Please make sure to save your income so you can survive the hard times and perhaps even retire!

it was back in the 90's when I realized I was getting older, you see, back in those days, rich men would ride around in Zeppelins, dropping coins on people, and one day I seen Michael Jackson flying by. So I run of the house with a big washtub to catch the coins that I would use for my ferry ride, I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.
Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time.

I'll take five bees for a quarter please.

When I stopped identifying with the young up and coming heroes and more the older mentor characters.

Honestly, bees should replace currency considering how vital they are to the world.

those are only three bees. you want me to take off my belt?

>bad anxiety, panic and depression that I'm medicated and housebound 90% of the time.
That sounds like my high school life. I never fucking want to go back

What kind of retard currency would that be.

I found I overcame social anxiety by having one extrovert friend throw me into social situations with their friends throughout my 20's. Of course I started off by getting really drunk in those scenarios, but the more you do it, the more you're able to develop the "tools" to manage all kinds of social situations and gradually rely less on booze. And if you don't have any friends, perhaps try this with family?

32 year old here, it's just temporary, it will go back down soon enough.

I probably am. Should do the world a favor and kill myself once I finish my comic backlog.

one bee = one dollar
a beehive = hundred dollars
farmed bees = twenty and fifty dollar bills

The ailing bee population would be saved!

What did you study?

Please don't, user. If there's at least one singular thing, no matter how minor, in this world that makes you happy, then live for that.

I can see it being temporary if you have aspirations towards marriage or children but still haven't achieved that in your 30's, but other than getting wrinkly and the body deteriorating (which will happen to every single human anyway), I don't see how it can go back down.

I use to write. Have an entire AU with superheroes I would like to write, but the spark is dead, even if I still write the occasional note, and daydream about writing it or bits and pieces.

I'm 41 and it's very obvious when I interact with younger people on the internet. But I don't care. My body's slowing down and I wish I could exercise or exert myself more than I can, but I feel more comfortable with who I am than I ever have. That's worth its weight in gold.

I'm not suggesting that people never grow and change, because stagnating is the kiss of death and we can all work towards becoming better people. But if I have one bit of advice for younger people, it's to learn to accept your quirks and to be less judgmental of others. You'll be a lot happier with your own life that way.

I really am no longer interested in being happy anymore. What for? If I want the heaviness of heart to recede, I'll drink or shitpost on Sup Forums. But happiness is something I have admitted to myself I am incapable of feeling anymore.

>But if I have one bit of advice for younger people, it's to learn to accept your quirks and to be less judgmental of others. You'll be a lot happier with your own life that way.

This.

When people started refering to all instances of brand loyalty as console wars even if it has nothing to do with video games.

When I realized children are learning about 9/11 as a historical event that occurred before their births.

Sounds like you're depressed, friend. I have depression too. But while you can't make the disease go away, you can take measures to cope with it, blunt its effect, and find at least some happiness or contentment. It does take work and lifestyle changes, though. And yeah, work is really hard when you're depressed, but the alternative is just so much more goddamned worse.

At the end of this year, on December 31st at midnight, there will not be a single child and/or underaged person alive that witnessed the 20th century.

At the end of this year, on December 31st at midnight, there will no longer be a single child born into this world.

>mfw the moment they announced on the intercom what happened
Shit was surreal.

>normie
normalfag detected- LEAVE

>Ren & Stimpy did the exact same thing about 15 years before, and much better.

Why is Ren and Stimpy so underrated on this board? I know John K. is a hateable guy, but R&S was one of the best and more groundbreaking cartoons in the past 30 years.

I fucking hate the grotesque art style that he created, it's been a blight on Western cartoons ever since.

More or less the same for me. My early 20's was probably the shittiest part of my life. Ever read the webcomic Habits/Terribleterribleterrible? It was 100% like that, now add a smidge of Megg, Mogg and Owl into it. Then worked my ass off to reach my goal and it paid off.
I think people on this site are more capable than they give themself credit for.

When I got more comfortable just being around my gf and our dog, watching cartoons instead of me going out and getting wasted with the best friend.

Its humbling.

It's a pretty good feel desu

Then write small amounts, ideally leading up to something bigger. When I get writers' block I have to forrrrrce myself to write anything, but that often gets the process restarted. Also, walk a lot and that helps with inspiration and working out ideas in your head. Plus the walking helps with your emotional state.

We watched it on the TV for an hour or so then got sent home. I didn't really understand what was going on as I was barely 11, but I got some What-a-burger and watched Tom and Jerry when I got home.

When I posted her and several people asked for source.

When I noticed majority Sup Forums and Sup Forums threads about cartoons or games I don't care about and don't want to care about.

I got in a few new things here and there but I hate new things mostly. I also hate people. I have a shitty dead end job and no hope as well.

It's a mixed bag for me. On one hand my financial situation is atrocious, I'm talking poverty level atrocious. Yet I have a job and I grind myself to the bones working. This causes me immense mental anguish - but all of this is typical croatian bullshit. It's not "me" as much as just the general state of things here and it's beyond my control. I'm actually really fucking okay with myself as such. Over the years (the period between being 25 - now) I've solved many internal problems and hangups and I can feel myself improving in many ways. I've accepted my faults and virtues, made peace with myself and that peace seems to endure within me through everything I do or feel. It's amazing. I love it. It's a really serene yet "empty" state of being. Think taoism, though this sounds way too pretentious and arrogant. I'm very eager to see where these internal developments will lead me.

To put things into perspective - I've been a NEET and had no work (sans summer) for basically a whole decade. This too is typical croatian garbage, for our country is in dire straits. Yet I don't think I've wasted that time. The amount of literature I consumed, the introspections, the staring into the abyss and so on - it was all worth it. I have no regrets.

Point is don't kill yourself prior to reaching your 25th year. That was the turning point for me. Something just clicked since then, like my brain and heart finally decided to work properly. Suicide and despair are friends of us all, and we may meet both. But don't give up too early. If you think your situation is unbearable bear with it until you reach 30+ years and then make a rational decision, if needed. But don't mistake youthful things for the end game. I'm not even playing the end game yet.

Also high school was shit. I hated it. Don't fall for the high school meme.

Its funny user. I am almost the opposite of you. I have spent the last 5 years of my life working towards my "dreams" and my degree and now that i almost have it, i want nothing more than to drop out and become a drug addled degenerate.

When the average Homestuck kids at a con were thirteen year olds. It was a year and a half ago.

22 in a few months

I've lived in the same house with my same family for well over a decade and the day-to-day has hardly changed aside from the switch to college from hs. The one friend who I hang out with outside of school and isn't purely virtual has been the only one since sixth grade. My memories get jumbled, "oh, x was released y years ago" when it seems like just yesterday due to everything feeling so similar.

I've never had to hold a job since I'm constantly in school but even if I wanted one (I'm starting to want one) I have to deal with crippling anxiety bullshit while also not having a car or any public transportation near me.

While I have friends scattered across the world, none of us have the money to visit each other.

I simultaneously feel like I've been here for aeons yet am still barely changed from me a decade ago.

Release me from this mortal coil

This one hit me a year or so ago.

Jesus Christ

I've never seen Dexter but given that that's your reasoning I guess that I am older than you.

>you're only 21

Trust me, half the shit you're feeling insecure or worried about now is common at your age and will most likely be long gone by the time you're in your late 20's. Once you learn (or more like realize, as these fears really are insignificant once you get into the real world) to stop giving a shit about things like "I should've already accomplished ____ by now! I should be doing ____ ! I know people my age who have done ____ yet I haven't!", you'll be much happier. It really is never too late to find your footing in life. Hell, I've met people who changed career paths well into their 50's.

>I've never had to hold a job since I'm constantly in school but even if I wanted one (I'm starting to want one) I have to deal with crippling anxiety bullshit while also not having a car or any public transportation near me

This was also me at your age, didn't really get over the anxiety till around 26 and didn't get a real job until 29. At your current point in time, forcing yourself out there into social situations and gradually gaining experience will help, but don't push yourself out of your comfort zone too fast or else you'll probably turn to booze to ease the anxiety. Ease into it, my man. And there's nothing wrong with having only one true friend, some don't even have that luxury.

That self defeatist attitude happens to a lot of people who are about to reach their goal, you've just got to not give into the urge to sabotage yourself. It's really worth it to push yourself.

I'm 27. I thought I had my shit together. Turns out I don't. Got the shit kicked out of me, and now I'm having to restart on a lot of stuff. Always been smart, but not terribly motivated, and slow to gain the real experience necessary to function in society. I have learned much, but I feel like I'm just where I should have been five to seven years ago.

I'm friends with a fresh faced 19 year old. He's cool but goddammit he makes me feel old. I'm actually around a lot of younger people these days. A lot of these younger millennials are perfectly decent folks. A lot of them are insufferable assholes. Such is humanity.

Stop hanging out with children, it's a sign that you are desperate and mentally immature.

I'm dating a 23 year old who's waaaaay too good for me. I can deal with that.

There'd been rumors since the early morning from the couple of kids with cell phones - rumors about a plane running into the Empire State Building IIRC. They didn't do a big announcement over the PA system or anything. They tried to keep things calm and discrete, sent the secretaries and staff to inform teachers and then let them wrap up their lessons and dismiss the students.

We were in freshman biology when they got to our room. They took our teacher outside to break the news. I'll never forget the sound of her screaming out in the hall. One of the secretaries came in and told us to go home for the day. We didn't see our bio teacher for a month. Her husband was in New York on business that morning. He was on the 90th floor of the North Tower when the first plane hit.

Fuck man...

holy shit

In gym class, they had us all basically just sitting on the floor. Don't remember what he said exactly, but the gym coach, a good old southern boy, came through on his way to his office and mentioned pretty casually, without slowing down, that some planes flew into the world trade center and that we were going to bomb the shit out of somebody.

This man was correct.

19, seeing that the Cartoon Network Bumps from my childhood are now considered "nostalgic." Plus my joints are constantly aching which doesn't feel very good. I'm usually very disconnected from people at around my age so at the very least I feel like I'm 40.

96 here, just graduated college but now I feel like I don't want to work at all, I'm afraid I'll never get out of this place even tho the situation is 100 times better than restarting in another country. But what can you do t b h, I'll still have to move on and try my best and maybe indulge myself in a hobby that hopefully will be my fishing rod in the future. So cheer up user, we're still in our early 20s, it's not hopeless at all, it should be hopeful at this point.

This is a very good post.

Whoa holy shit I can't even imagine

My art teacher in high school and her class watched the broadcast, she mentioned that a couple of her students signed up for the army because of that

I wish a bee was really big and friendly and would let me pet it.

>MY CRESTAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Im 27 year old woman and because of financial and housing problems I sleep in the same bed with my mom.

I can't work and she will lose her job soon. We also take care of her 92 year old aunt with help of freinds but we will run out of money soon.

>students signed up for the army because of it

Hehe, burgers are funny

>burgers are funny

Bumble bees are big and friendly, they're just too busy being married to their jobs.

I was a teacher's assistant for a fifth grade class. I was a senior in high school at the time and was volunteering since everyone had to volunteer for x amount of hours doing some kind of community service.

The kids, who were all born in the year 2000, are now seniors in high school just like I was when I first met them.

Good luck user, and godspeed

I just spent two years working in a middle school and heard myself utter "Jesus what is wrong with kids these days"

I need it bigger.

>I can't work

Is there a specific reason why you can't?

Either way, I hope there comes a solution to your struggles someday in the near future, user. All the best.

Haha, beef