What went wrong Sup Forums? Gendy had 3 episodes left...

What went wrong Sup Forums? Gendy had 3 episodes left...Two fucking episodes and he would have finished probably the greatest season of not only Samurai Jack, but arguably what was going to be the greatest season of anything he's done, and MAYBE one of the best cartoon seasons of all time.

Then..this BS of episode 8 and 9...Even the latter half of Episode 7. Infact everything after Jack "Earns" his sword back was downhill... The scene of him making tea for the mentor/sage was beautiful...then all of a sudden he uses his Cyclops optic blast and just gets the sword?! After all that build up? and the lame ass forced romance with Ashi? sigh...what happened Sup Forums...what could have been...

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/rfDZy9b
strawpoll.me/13257849
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I point the Jury's attention to exhibit A.

I regret Genndy ever reviving it.

Not because i wasnt satisfied, but because you people dont deserve the closure.

What do YOU mean "You People"?

The season went to shit from episode 4 though.

Only 1, 2, 3 and 9 are good.

ehhh.... sort of agree. Episode 7 was amazing. The cinematography, the philosophical themes, very Matrix like. Inner spirituality, finding oneself after being lost. the hero's spiritual journey back from the "Dead"....beautifully captured in 7. Then immediately after the tea scene...THAT"S when it really goes to shit.

Don't get me wrong, all the season was pretty, but not only does it have no substance, it doesn't work as a story and it's plain bad.

Imagine going back in time a few years and telling people that Samurai Jack will get a final season but it ends up mostly being about an OC waifu for Jack.

Maybe it wouldn't have been made then
>got to get back
>back to the past
>Samurai Jack

OP here...whoa whoa, I clearly have my complaints but having no substance I wouldn't say is true... philosophically it's VERY substantial, but there's way too much bad humor, and forced story. and the last 3 episodes and events just feel rushed. Ashi's mothere's death? Rushed. Skatcmoe's death? RUSHED. Sammy Jack and Ashi falling in love? RUSHED. Jack getting his sword and losing the beard? RUSHED

He shouldn't have wasted an entire episode on Ashi. Nobody gave a shit about her.

Oh yea and that battle between Ashi and Jack...c'mon how cliche was that? She turns on him, because she's being controled? YAWN been there done that...
I enjoyed the idea of this season..like I said, from a literary point of view, the theme and animation is stellar. But there was a lot in this that should have been left out, as well as a lot that should have been expanded upon... The sheer instanteouness in which he was given the sword and the lack of any real pomp and circumstance about certain events, just makes my blood boil...

yeaaaaa baby

Gendy got too caught up in recreating his childhood dream that was the initial inspiration for Samurai Jack.

That type of plot wasn't what a 5th and final season could handle along with closing. The episode where they encounter the Prison Ship literally only exists to function as what Gendy WANTED Samurai jack to be.

Awww...look a dumbass

THIS SEASON EARNS A GRADE FOR "F"
AS IN FUCKBALLS

There were pacing issues in Season 5 beforehand and Scaramouche being brought back went nowhere, but this was the exact moment that the season started to decline.

>Episode 4
>bad

???

Shit like this is why I despise female sidekicks because then the show has to pander to not only her but make her and the MC have a shitty romance because its 'cute'. Add to that,Ashi's design was fucking hideous and it boggles my fucking mind as to why anyone on this board would dedicate a general to her.

what if genndy planned for her to die but execs rolled around the last 3 episodes and told him to rewrite it?
I wouldn't see why not I mean
>only ten eps budgeted
>10 year old show no one talks about these days
>everybody grew up/old
>new characters (scaramouche and Daughters of Aku) could help attract attention
>waifus (ashi) could help attract attention

Then there's nonsense like this.. Which just completely break the theme and "style" of a more serious "adult" animated series.

Female sidekicks aren't inherently bad. They just generally tend to be the vehicles for pitfalls in the narrative.

>Samurai Jack
>Adult

This though was pretty awesome...

If this had come out back when I was young enough to not see the little flaws, I would love it. It has its mature moments but it's still very much SJ

Female sidekicks are fine.

Ashi wasnt because Ashi was forced, focused on obnoxiously, and came in during something already established with little time left.

Sometimes I like to pretend that season 5 didn't happen. But then that would mean we never got the great gift that is episodes 1-3.

>the Scotsman's daughters get plot armor in the final battle
>but then they get erased anyway
>the Scotsman doesn't even do anything important

why

>jack could've had any one of them with scotsman's blessing

The months of back to back threads dedicated to her beg to differ

>instead he picked one of a kind best girl
Excellent taste

>"ASHI YOU HAVE AKUS POWERS!"
>"o wow i do"
>*opens portal*
I still cant believe THAT is how Jack got back. Even the biggest defenders of season 5 have to admit how fucking stupid that was.

Even the biggest defenders of ashi didn't like that.
Partly because it directly led to the worst thing to ever happen

literally just finished the finale and i have to say those last 2 episodes seemed rushed. BIG TIME.
its not even that i dont like ashi. i thought the relationship between jack and ashi was done really well.
they just needed a longer season.

>blame the shit ending on the best part of the season
Nibba I hope you joking

>"ASHI YOU HAVE AKUS POWERS!"
>"o wow i do"
>*opens portal*

I would've been fine with this execution\delivery if it led to an interesting conclusion. Like Ashi having Jacks child, and then it turns out to be the reincarnation of Aku. Basically Jack spends all this time looking for a legit time portal back to the past, just to get deus ex machina'd back to the past only to ironically get fucked by time paradox shenanagans. It would've been amusing from a meta-perspective. But it wouldn't be the ending the show, or Jack, deserved.

did they get a new voice actor for aku or did the voice actor get old or something?
it was really distracting how different it was. wasnt as humorous as season 1-4 even though it could habe been with the old voice.

Going back to the past was a mistake, the future he is in now was the one he fought for, spilled blood for only to go back to a past that'll never know the hardships of Aku and what must be done to prevent it

But the weirdest part was when the show cut to some footage of gurren lagann...

The old VA, Mako Iwamatsu, died quite a while ago. His replacement honestly sounded like a russian trying to imitate an asian accent

You're a fucking dumbass, episodes 4, 6, and 8 were the horrifically bad ones. 5, 7, 9, and 10 were just mediocre.

I never understood why everyone hated 4 so much.

Because it was lolsorandom: the episode? And the lolsorandom parts were terrible themselves.

It never needed closure

Episode 4 was required characterization for ashi, necessary to show Jack's emotional progress after his ordeal facing the sisters and served as an intermission of sorts for the viewer after the high intensity first three episodes. It's only problem is everything it set up was immediately abandoned thee next episode as Jack falls back into depression, Ashi instantly loses her dogmatic hatred after the weakest convincing ever, and the tone of the show wvcer day's rises back up to the previous highs. Episode 4 itself did nothing wrong

The fact is that there were people that liked Ashi. They even set up a discord about her!

discord.gg/rfDZy9b

The moment Ashi survived things became shit.

After her death, she should have come back as a mini-Aku that has some of Aku's powers but not all of them. Then she'd pursue Jack for the entire fourth episode, doing all the shit Aku did to him in the original series, only not as powerful 'cause she's just a babby Aku. Jack understand that his only chance of surviving is getting the sword back.
On episode 5 we see the flashback of how Jack lost his sword, then he goes on a spiritual journey while HIS FRIENDS DEFEND HIM FROM ASHI. He gets his sword (keeps his beard) and kills the bitch. Somewhere, Aku feels a pang of pain.
Episode 6 Jack's friends tell him they can't find Aku. Scaramouch informs Aku that Jack lost his sword. Aku shows up, sees Jack has his sword, kills Scaramouch, fucks off. Jack's friends manage to track Aku.
Episode 7 all-out attack on Aku, it fails, almost everybody fucking dies, including the Scotsman.
Episode 8 spiritual journey to reconcile with his parents and maybe get a pointer from dad about how to kill Aku.
Episode 9 Jack and friends amass an army to overthrow Aku, Huge fight, they got Aku cornered with CELTIC MAGIC.
Episode 10 Jack kills Aku, everybody start rebuilding the future 'cause the past is gone and they have to look ahead.

Episode 4 wasn't necessary for anything. It was an entirely wasted 22 minutes. And it infringed on episode 6, which was supposed to be when Ashi finally sided with Jack, but turned into a cavalcade of horrific futures for beloved characters.

She asides with him episode 5, which was the real mess. But yes, 6 was trash too.

Still nothing wrong with 4.

You're insane. 4 was pretty much the worst of the series tbqfh. It's the only unsalvageable one, and should have been replaced with much-needed time for the finale or something.

5 actually has something happening, not to mention the whole Scotsman scene.

4 was the most like the first four seasons. Jack falls into some random monster trouble, has to save an "innocent", problem solves his way out with humor and action interspersed. It was classic Jack, something nothing else in the season achieved. And despite what you may think, characterization is important in a season that's trying to show a character evolution.

5 tried to do too many things and failed at all of it, 6 was a callback episode that wasn't even neccessary when they did the same shit in the finale. The entire season needs to be rebuilt entirely but ep4 was far from the weakest point.

>Bring back a series thats been dead for 13 years for only 10 episodes.
>Dedicate 7 episodes to some baboon faced, literally who character that should have died in episode 3.
>Reduce all of Jacks internal conflict to a cringy forced romance in the end.
>Blatantly rip off an anime ending for the finale

Ashi was a mistake.

You were a mistake

Samurai Jack would have been way better off not forcing a love interesting like the rest of the plebeian normalfag shlock.
His only goal should have been going to the past, he should have acknowledge long ago that if he is successful then none of the people would exist.
Instead we got a forced romance in a series where it's not necessary. Stupid normalfags.

bumping for Jashi

there is absolutely no way someone can convince me that ripping off gurren laggan was in any way a good decision.
Its funny,because months before the new season there was a huge thread where people fought over anime references in modern cartoon, and how old shows did it better because they were used for one-offs, and now Samurai jack ends up referencing an anime for the second most critical point in the finale.

No one ever even tries to defend the gurren laggan ending

There were a fuckton of people defending the "amazing bittersweet ending" when it first aired

If you replaced Ashi with the Scotsman, season would have been 10x better.

no ashi = no way for jack to get home

Ashi is needed

>Jack and the Scotsman have a burgeoning gay romance
...you know what, as long as the daughters get more screen time, I'd deal with it

The past is dead Jack, it's time to bury it

>Implying Waifufags are people

Anybody else think that they made aku way too silly by the end? There's barely any moments where he actually acts serious in season 5

Jesus fucking christ, imagine how much more bearable Jack and Ashi would have been if they had fun interactions like this every episode

That would require she not turn into cock sucking waifu bait after four episodes

I still see a lot of people talking stupid edgy shit, so I might as well repeat the truth:

Season 5 had its problems. It was mostly about pacing and trying to cram up too much in too little time. And also wasting some of that limited time on unnecessary things.

But up until the very end of ep9 it was still a really enjoyable ride with some moments of genuine brilliance.

And then the finale came... and I'm still not sure how it's even physically possible to fuck up so badly. Apart from one or two little scenes it's just horrible on every level. It's enough for me to side with the edgelords who claim it would be better if they never rebooted it.

Honestly, if I could go back in time to stop myself from watching it, I would.

>stupid edgy shit
It's not edgy to say that you're a dumbass if you are one. First 3 episodes great, otherwise shit.

I can immediately say you're trying too hard to fit in by spouting the "first 3 eps" autistic screeching, when ep3 was one of the most average in the series and nowhere near ep1 and 2 in quality.

Episode 3 was a slight step down from episode 2, which in turn was a slight step down from 1. But the gap between 3 and 4 is so huge, it's like they're from different shows entirely.

It wasn't a slight step down, apart from the suicide Jack scene and parts of the combat it was average to boring and people parroting "first 3 eps hurrr" like the stupid sheep they are have no clue.

>Implying to think Onionhead's the best part of the season

>gets erased anyway

bumping with ashi

Yes it did.

>anons are still mad that Jack have spent some time with a girl and they never will
I bet if Ashi was a boy and they made a gay romance you wouldn't even hate it this much.

She's a shapeshifter so she can be whatever she wants.

>ashi cant exist without aku
>she literally is a part of aku
Buenos dias samurai

I didn't say no one defended the forced bittersweet ending.
I said no one defends the literal shot for shot remake of a gainax ending

>onionhead
was no longer her appearance once she embraced her true self and achieved best-girl status

>cavalcade of horrific futures for beloved characters
But they were all happy, even the bounty hunters were chill. what are you talking about?

We give plenty of non-waifu reasons as to why we like her and it always immediately gets shot down with
>waifufags trying THIS hard
or something like that

He freaked me out appearance-wise in episode 9. And then did something horrible to my favorite character, so he didn't come across as too silly to me.

Do you remember Da Samurai, or the rave kids? Do you remember that's it's supposed to be set 50 years later?

>It never needed closure

THIS, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE

"Getting back to the past" was just the springboard for the story of each episode, it's never what the show was really about.

>"I don't know what happens to Jack, ultimately. I almost don't want to know. I just want to keep having adventures with Jack." -- Scott Wills, Art Director on Samurai Jack

>rave kids have children and constantly have a party/plays that they all clearly enjoy
>da samurai is at peace with himself
Even if the latter is a little bummed about his current status, it's nowhere near horrific.

Hence why he should have stayed in the future, leaving the door open for others to add new adventures

I don't care how HE is forced to feel about it by the terrible writing, you dumbass. It's OBJECTIVELY horrifying. Same for the rave kids.

you have yet to say what is horrifying.
da samoorhai has decided to stop being a cunt to everyone and got a steady job, while the kids are no longer getting mind controlled and have clearly reproduced/had families

It feels almost as if Jack froze them in time for 50 years. They literally kept doing the same thing for 5 decades just because some dude saved them once while they were doing it.

That's exactly the opposite of what happened to da samoorhai though. He was a wandering warrior and then stopped once he met jack, you don't know what else he does with his life outside of work.
And if having an endless rave is part of a culture that everyone in it clearly enjoys, whats the problem?

>not liking the the comic that came from jashi

Samurai Jack's greatest strength was always its pacing. It would start slow, then build to a huge crescendo, then a huge cathartic explosion of action. Each episode was a 22 minute movie.

Season 5 was paced poorly and each episode ended very abruptly.

And before anyone says "MUH 10 EPISODES", there's no reason Genndy couldn't have simplified or trimmed the story to fit within the alotted time. Part of an artist's job is to work within the limitations they're given.

this is autism. samurai jack is a kid's show and those are cartoon aliens.

Making the show TV-14 was retarded on a conceptual level.

See the thing is the season started out great, I get the impression that Genndy gambled everything in the hopes that the studio would give him additional episodes or another season based on the strength of the first 3 episodes. Then when the higher ups said no, Genndy only had 7 episodes left to do everything he wanted.

wew

Everyone here thought he was gonna be some kind of awesome samurai ninja or something. Nobody seriously considered the horrifying reality.

And if you can't see the problem with an ENDLESS rave, there's really not much to discuss.

THIS.

We really didn't need this last season. But since we got it anyways, it should have just been another anthology of 10/10 episodes, possibly with a running theme that strongly hints at various possibilities concerning if Jack could get to the past, what might happen if he did kill Aku while he's currently in power, and etc., leading up to another open-ended finale where Jack lunges at Aku before one finale "WATCHA!"

In a completely fabricated world, there is no one component that couldn't be replaced by something else. Ashi has the trappings of a bad plot device mixed together with the trappings of a bad romantic interest.

I wanted this so bad, fugg

strawpoll.me/13257849