Why won't DC acknowledge Static Shock?

Why won't DC acknowledge Static Shock?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=fiFqRJKY_RQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Bk1lNNMKfnw
youtube.com/watch?v=IEJm0uIVwUc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He's in legal limbo or some such thing.

Why would DC acknowledge a non-DC character? Do you want them to include Spider-Man too, casualfag?

Static is one of those guys who should be an a lister and in every team book, but due to complicated rights bullshit, he goes unmentioned by everyone and dc can't do much with him. Milestone was both a blessing and a curse

Its. Just. Fucking. Static.

Cause legal stuff with Milestone.

Ask DC this at SDCC.

What legal stuff?

The rights for static are owned by his creators family right? Do they just flat out refuse to let him be used? Can DC not offer royalties and buy him off them?

Characters like Static aren't allowed to be part of the main universe anymore, though potentially cross-overs are possible.

I don't know of any actual legal troubles.

They aren't actually owned by DC, just licensed, and once in a while limits of the license come up. So, they often just don't bother using them, since pushing their own characters is easier.

This video talks Static and how the legal rights might work.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=fiFqRJKY_RQ

>Wanting a decent character to be milked to death until the end of time with never ending reboots, events and constant shark jumping
They did the right thing user.

Milestone owns Static Shock. DC can't make profit by selling toys and other merchandise, and has to pay a fee to use Static in their comics.

By contract Milestone can't publish Static Shock with any other publisher as long as DC releases Static Shock once in a while, so they keep releasing Static just enough to don't lose their license.
Kinda like Fantastic Four and Fox.

I wonder if this will affect Static (and Icon and Rocket, for that matter) in Young Justice. It looked like they were setting him up for more. It'll be a shame if he was suddenly dropped.

They already have Black Lightning and Lightning

What the fuck do they want with a clone that they have to also pay royalties to use?

Given that there was a Static TV show, I would bet there's already financial groundwork in place where all parties are willing to let the character appear on TV, whatever the terms of DC's relationship with Milestone actually is.

it has been a while since that was last one, it probably no longer works on name recognition since that was an early 00's shoe

I'm not talking about popularity, I'm talking about shit like contract agreements.

Keep making a fuss about Static and maybe DC will see people still care about him and will do stuff with him.

Nobody gives a shit about Lightning Negro #2537 though, especially with McDuffie dead.

Name value

(You)

Static is different from Black Lightning. He has different powers and different personality. And he's more well known than Black Lightning.

>He has different powers

I don't know why people care about both his comic and cartoon sucked.

>25 replies
>17 IPs
There's a scent of samefagging in this thread. And a whole lot of shitty opinions

The Black Lives Don't Matter At All agenda

Im going to be honest a black guy with lightning powers seems kind of problematic
may as well add Apache Chief while your at it

>people are only allowed to post ONCE and ONLY ONCE per thread

Holy shit

>Why won't DC acknowledge Static Shock?

Because Black Lightning exists, so wtf makes Static so special?

Static and Black Lightning may have similar powers but they are very different from each other.

>Why won't DC acknowledge Static Shock?

Because:

>Black Lightning
>Black Vulcan
>Juice
>Soul Power

DC has a surplus of black people with electricity powers to choose from. Static is just a face in the crowd.

Aren't Black Vulcan, Juice and Soul Power all standins for Black Lightning because Tony Isabella was being a cock about rights issues for three decades?

Static is literally the only black guy with electricity powers that DC owns who isn't a legally approximated clone of Black Lightning.

He seems like he would fit in Marvel more. Characters like Black Adam and Shazam already has superior lightning powers

I think DC is wasting his character .He's a good character. People don't just like him cause of his powers. They like him for his personality .

That's right! Like Spider-Man, clone Spider-Man, that other Spider-Man, and alternate Spider-Man are so vastly different that each one should have their own movie.

>that DC owns
I don't think DC ever actually owned the rights to the Milestone characters.

Because they don't actually own him. Why should they pump time/money/resources into a property that they don't own? At the same time they don't want anyone else to be able to do anything with him just in case.

Though at least they're finally putting out the complete series on dvd.

So who owns Milestone now? WB/DC are probably playing the long game and hoping they can just straight up buy the Milestone characters on the cheap in a few years if whoever owns them now gets sick of all this. THEN Static will get some attention from DC.

youtube.com/watch?v=Bk1lNNMKfnw

This opening was so tight.

>DC owns 4 black characters with electricity powers
>Has to pay royalty to use a 5th black character with electricity powers

It's an easy call when no one there has childhood nostalgia clouding their judgment

The other black superheroes with electric powers are just Black Lightning tributes . Nostalgia isn't the reason why people like Static. They like him for being him

Milestone owns Milestone. If you're trying to look for an individual then probably Denys Cowan.

>People are really acting like different versions of Black Lightning manufactured to circumvent copyright count as fully realized unique characters.

>My black character with lightning powers totally isn't the same thing!

He was in Young Justice that one time

youtube.com/watch?v=IEJm0uIVwUc
Just replace "Godzilla" with "Black Lightning" and you have the explanation for Black Vulcan, Juice, Soul Power and whatever other (Not) Black Lightnings DC's come up with.

>Injustice design that actually looks good.
>Don't use it.

why do lightning powers seem problematic for a black guy?

Virgil is a much more interesting character than Jefferson. He could have been DC's Spider-Man. >Plus
Static is a cooler name than Black Lightning

>Also
Black Lighting shoots electric bolts, Static has an array of electro-magnetic powers, which gives him a much more versatile powerset than Black Lightning.

Like Blue Beetle, Or Nightwing, or Kyle Raynor, or Impulse...or any of the other dozen characters labeled DC' Spider-Man

So even with the characterization they were aiming for something everyone else has done a hundred time before. Was Static a template character or something?

When the inevitable Static movie comes out, I hope they use this Injustice design.

>implying Black Panther won't do well for the same reason Wonder Woman did well
muh underrepresentation

>implying DC won't announce a Static movie shortly thereafter to get in on the minority cashgrab

Hopefully they cast well.

>See that other guy shoots lightning, but my character shoots Liiightning! Totally different. Because Lightning is sometimes confused for Lightning but only a true fan would understand the subtle differences between lightning and lightning....

fucking casuals amiright

Static is the only non-legacy character of those, though.

Beetle has the best chance though.

Okay at this point I'm going to assume the pro Static fan is just shilling because funny

whelp when you keep seeing things like What the fuck else are you going to think?

The problem with your reasoning is that Static stands alone as a character, even when trying to tie him to another black electric-powered hero.
Blue Beetle (Jaime) is associated with the OG Blue Beetle
Nightwing is always associated with Batman
Kyle is a Lantern like many of the Corps
Impulse with the Flash

Static doesn't have that kind of previous hero/hero group association, so he can't be lumped into a typical group. THAT'S why people like him and why he doesn't necessarily need to be another attempt at a Spider-Man variant. Even a decade later, Static still has a better draw to him as a character.

Static can do so much more than Black Lightning.

He's like Black Lightning AND Magneto

Damn people are really hung up on two, count 'em TWO characters having similar powers (which they use in different ways).

DC already has a million characters that run really fast, a million characters that are super strong, a million characters who can breath underwater, a million who can use telekinesis, a million who are psychic, a million who can use magic.

But two black guys with electrical powers is way way way too excessive.

You're making the wrong connection

What's with all the red heads who can run fast amirite

So we have DC's Spider-Man, Black Lightning Magneto

Is there even a single aspect of the guy that can be confused as original?

AC or DC?

Who's the guy that keeps writing Bleedingcool articles talking about how only he can save Milestone? and how he's also super rich an talented and DC owes him tonnes of money

Not him but Static felt more like a Spider-Man stand-in than the characters you listed. Static also, as stated, is a more interesting character than Black Lightning. So I don't get why everyone seems to scoff & laugh when they want to see more Static, because it was never about his powers, but his personality. Isn't that the main reason we enjoy a specific superhero/heroine in the first place? It's why we read comics. I assume most of us anyway.

Michael Davis

You're REALLY going down this road?

REALLY?

We can go back to how every comic character was inspired by an ancient myth or folklore, if you want. Up to you.

Ok, I know that the whole "the show didn't sell enought toys" is a thing, but...

HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU GONNA SELL TOYS IF THERE AREN'T ANY YOU FUCKING FUCKS?!?

This is why fanboys should never be listened to

I thought it was rather refreshing to see a cartoon with Supers that wasn't DC or Marvel at the time. The writing wasn't all bad, Ebon was a decent villain and the grab bag of race didn't feel forced like today's Marvel comics.

The guy who wrote that article (or maybe more, idk) was one of the original founders of Milestone.

Hey! Don't place the blame on Warner for not producing the toys! It's YOUR FAULT for not buying those theoretical toys to support the series in the first place!

You have to buy them first before Warner knows that it is enough of a hit to begin production of the same toys that will be the driving force behind the tv series!

>electricity
Cyborg has all that and more

yeah, how dare any character share qualities with other characters!

Good thing there aren't any characters with similarities to Hercules, Samson, Achilles, Hera, Robin Hood, Zorro, Hermes, Zeus, Poseidon, Sherlock Holmes, John Henry, Dr. Jeckyll/Mr. Hyde, Solomon Grundy, or Mad Hatter

because he's a cringey character contrived as a form of forced diversity.

This very much so. I loved that about Static Shock. Seeing how everything has been going on at Marvel literally made me pissed. & seeing how people think we hate 'diversity' in comics because we hate the 2 dimensional ham fisted characters we're getting today is sad. It shows that people nowadays will eat shit if they know it's pandered to them.

"Forced diversity" is when Iron Man suddenly becomes a black female or Hulk becomes an asian, or Whor.

Static was a completely new character. Nothing was "forced." He became popular in his own right. Not because he was shoehorned into an existing property.

Why is forced diversity Black hero always electric or technology based?

Except that he is Black Spiderman

Buy his new action figure and new DVDs. The only merch the cartoon had was mostly books.

He isn't replacing Spiderman. There's no "force" in your cry of "forced diversity"

it says (You) but it's not me. hmm this is quite a conundrum. i'll respond anyways

Except most fans will want his yellow,black and blue suit like The dvd's are a good start though. Hell, push for a deal with Netflix even.

Thor though, but I can see how he would have quicker access to lightning from what i can gather

I guess you boys haven't heard of Miles Morales

that other spiderman was the worst

If Young Justice S3 does well, we could see a Static and the Runaways (idk what to call them) spinoff with El Dorado, Longshadow and Samurai.

That seemed to be hinted at throughout YJ: Invasion.

They shouldn't have done McDuffie like they did. He's cursed them.

It sucks because I really want to see IJ2 get Static DLC.

He could have the strongest magnetic powers in DC.

no Magneto in DC.

But that's ugly as sin though.

Miles Morales isn't black or else he would have lightning powers.

He's clearly latino Spider

DC not DCAU faggot

>all characters that control the same element are the same

The others quit by the end and Static joined Young Justice.

Polaris would be a good mirror-villain for Static. every hero needs one.

No one fucking said that. What we mean is has the charm of Spider-Man. Jesus fucking christ.