Maybe black comics would sell if they all weren't vindictive pieces of shit

Maybe black comics would sell if they all weren't vindictive pieces of shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwood,_Tulsa
youtube.com/watch?v=H4A1haySbx8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

From Priest's Black Panther FAQ

>The problem with race and popular media is this in most every "black" movie or "black street" music CD you'll see or hear, there is some hostility directed towards whites. Now, were I a white male, I certainly wouldn't want to spend 8 bucks to go see a film where white males are portrayed as stupid and the butt of every joke, or where I am made to feel guilty about things I had nothing to do with, and prejudices I don't actually have.

>That is my pet peeve with a lot of black film and black comedians it's all White People Bashing, and it limits our opportunities. In addition to the assumption that PANTHER may be about dusty hungry kids in the desert, or that the lead character may not be someone the reader can identify with, it is possible we are also burdened with the reflexive instinct that PANTHER— by virtue of its being a "black" book— is somehow hostile to whites.

Balck Panther sells relatively well. A good B-lister

He didn't sell well when Priest was writing him because before Priest he was a jobber and literally who c-list character.

He got popular because of Priest.

He sells now because he has a movie coming out and Marvel hyped the shit out of the book but even then all of that couldn't save Coate's BP and the crew comic.

Guy sounds like an Uncle Tom. That isn't even remotely true for most of black media. It's not our job to make white people feel comfortable around us.

Calling things for what they are isn't bashing whites. Are we supposed to pretend blacks dont deal with racism constantly? Are we supposed to pretend whites didn't and still dont do everything in their power to sabotage and destroy black success? It's good white people want to sweep that under the rug and they're uncomfortable by it because it shows progress is happening.

More like a "C"-lister.

(The "C" stands for cancelled)

Surprisingly intelligent, articulate, and understanding point of view.

Normally they just double down on the
>YOUS RACIST WHITEBOIII

He's pretty woke.

It also speaks to the deficiencies of blacks when they so often define themselves by their hatred of whites. When how much they hate white people is a predominant theme in most of their media it says they can't do anything themselves, like Riri they need oppression from a more accomplished people to find an identity.
That's just weak and shallow.

>Le Uncle Tom Maymay

Crab mentality at its finest.

this is bait right guys? im scared

You sound like someone who should never be involved in any form of "black media" whatsoever because you are a close-minded shithead.

Can't believe you are honestly calling Christopher Priest an Uncle Tom. What in the actual fuck have YOU done for the black community and its representation in the media?

Adding to this, art tends to be a reflection of life. If a lot of black media has hostility directed towards whites then something is clearly going on IRL.

Crab mentality? The dude want's to chastise black people for venting their frustrations through art.

>It's not our job to make white people feel comfortable around us.
>
>Calling things for what they are isn't bashing whites. Are we supposed to pretend blacks dont deal with racism constantly? Are we supposed to pretend whites didn't and still dont do everything in their power to sabotage and destroy black success? It's good white people want to sweep that under the rug and they're uncomfortable by it because it shows progress is happening.

Sure, but as Priest said, don't be surprised when the book gets canceled or nobody watches or reads that media. Unless blacks start supporting their own media it won't sell. Whites don't want the guilt trip, regardless of how well deserved you think it might be. ou gotta decide, do you want to push and agenda or do you want to be successful?
Do you want to 'stay woke' or do you actually want people to read your shit?

It's weird how the phrase "Uncle Tom" has become so ubiquitous for meaning something that the original character did not.

are you just looking for a (you) on priest's website?

>Gentle advice
>"Chastise"

Come on now. Don't tell me you're skin is that thin.

Fighting fire with fire is retarded. You don't want to fix shit at all. You are just as bad as the Neo Nazi rednecks.

Telling blacks "hey temper yourselves so you dont scare white people off" is some Uncle Tom shit. I have no problem with whites but I'm sick of being told to behave around whites. What do I do for the black community? I volunteer constantly in poor black neighborhoods and support black owned businesses.

BASED Priest

I'm currently reading his Black Panther run. It gives me an Arrested Development vibe by reading it in Ross' point of view.

>The dude want's to chastise black people for venting their frustrations through art.

They are free to do that, just like people with the most buying power in comics (white males) have a right to not purchase that art, leading to your woke message being canceled.

Typical racist blacks, 'we make media calling you racist, you refuse to buy it because who wants to hear that shit, we call you racist for not buying it.'
Their message is 'you have to listen to and face how racist we think you are no matter what.'
Fuck that, voting with my wallet.

You are basically saying either create honest media and art or cater to the masses and sell out.

Most good art has an agenda beyond just success and money which is what connects it to the audience that wants that particular kind of art.

I'm not black or white but
>behave around whites
What exactly does this entail?

Fighitng with fire would imply I'm making art with the subject of "kill whitey!" which 99% of black media isn't. However if I do write a story where a white cop punches a black character in the face for correcting him(which has happened to me) then that isn't an attack on whites. If they're uncomfortable by the subject matter then that's good because nothing is going to get changed if we keep sweeping stuff like that under the rug.

300 posts later...

You are certainly free to write said story, but you are NOT allowed to bitch if nobody buys it.

However, I feel we're getting away from the core issue here. And the issue is that Coates' BP was just fucking BORING. Holy shit so goddamn boring. That motherfucker probably shouldn't write comics. He's not very good at it. The virtue signaling didn't help, but it was a far cry from the book's core problem.

>Telling blacks "hey temper yourselves so you dont scare white people off" is some Uncle Tom shit.
I took it as more of a "people should attempt to not alienate any specific group with their work, especially if they want to market to said group" than a "censor yourselves" but fair enough, I see where you are coming from.

Black people don't read

Priest is so cool

lol but a white can't poke fun at a black

I don't know man, I'm not "uncomfortable" with stories that show white people as racist or whatever, I'm just tired of it. I'm just tired of the "Oh white people are so racist and we are such victims" narrative that is so dominating in black media, I mean, if all you want to do is jerk off about how much of a victim you are, that's great, I'm just going to roll my eyes and read/watch something else.

>"kill whitey!"

If only.

The bristling and discomfort is just great. White guilt sustains me.

You should behave yourself around everyone, you dumb nignog.

Priest isn't talking about that though, he's talking about generalizing.

I was behind it all! This entire thread! Me!

LEX.

LUTHOR.

>comics
>selling
Good one.

Sure, yes, definetly... but..

1) Superhero comics is not the place to do that.
&
2) Theres a difference between writing something with an agenda in the back of your mind, and writing something that stuffs the message down the readers throat.

What virtue signaling? Did he write an unpopular opinion?

That said I like the book overall, but it is very slow. My favorite parts were the debates the characters had with each other over the nature of Wakanda and how they fit into it. It wasn't very bombastic, but it interested me the most.

Priest himself credited Hudlin for the popularization of the character and of his run, retroactively.

>White guilt sustains me.

Emotionally or economically?

Every time someone depicts a rational black person some nigga has to pull out the Uncle Tom nametag because he doesnt want to admit hes part of a shit community

I thought the first few issues were interesting, but he really can't pace for the monthly format. I liked his setup and worldbuilding, but he just couldn't stick with it.

What other identity do they have? Slavery pretty much destroyed their roots and left them stuck in a position of complete social and economic inferiority in a world they never made. It only makes sense that they started to define their own identities by relating them to white people.

Of course, coming to that conclusion would require empathy for black people which you clearly do not have.

>behave around whites
Yep, it's a nigger alright.

Whenever I stumble upon a thread like this I always get the impression that everyone is trying really hard not to outright say they hate black people and start calling them niggers.

They're obviously targeting black/woke consumers. Unfortunately, no one anticipated that most comic store owners chase black people out on site while waving a Glock and shouting Glenn Beck talking points.

Seriously it's really common look it up.

nigga fuck you

Your conclusion doesn't even remotely follow from your premise.

Well, can you blame us for faggots like ?

And that is totally cool, I understand it's not your thing I just dont want to be told that I shouldn't write about those subjects. Artists dont want to be told their ideas are too much for the audience.

I don't mean Coates specifically. He's a measured and intelligent individual, but comics are clearly not his thing. I mean more the general Internet bitching over its cancellation being held up as some example of racism in media. We really shouldn't fan the flames of that here. Just a dull book getting discontinued because it didn't sell. Nothing more.

>too much
kek

Dont you love it when news stations talk about African Americans in other countries when they're neither African nor American depending on the area?

This is mostly true, but the bit about slavery isn't correct.

It was actually the social welfare policies of the 20th and 21st centuries that created the racial wealth gap. Just so we're clear that it wasn't a distant relative that did this shit but Sup Forums's momma and papa and maybe user himself depending on how he votes.

priest, himself, said he only read hudlin's first issue.

>Are we supposed to pretend whites didn't and still dont do everything in their power to sabotage and destroy black success?

>black president
>black government officials
>black CEOs
>black media moguls
>black athletes
>WE WUZ OPPRESSION
Unless you're old enough to remember Jim Crow, no one is holding you back from success.

You don't have to read the issues to see they are selling. Priest went far to have more sales and didn't manage to. Hudlin did.

Not OP but you're gonna have to explain how? If, hypothetically, I'm raised by wolves, never meeting humans- Wouldn't I adopt wolf cultural traits?

Black people oppressed black people.

I don't see why superhero comics are less viable as a place to do it as opposed to paintings or books. From a business perspective sure, that's a good argument as you want to have mass appeal and trim the edges off stuff, but from an artistic viewpoint it seems as ripe as any canvas for any kind of message or experimentation.

Whether something stuffs something down your throat or not depends on the skill of the writer and the receptiveness of the audience. A skilled writer can be subtle or approach the material differently, but if the audience isn't open to the message to some degree it will still fail. On the other hand you can have the message on the sleeve of the work (like Transmepolitian) which wasn't very subtle but still managed to reach the audience with it's message.

My point is the core message will be the exact same and it's vehicle is situational. No matter how you approach it and no writing style will deliver it perfectly to everyone.

Well it's pretty obvious that race relations are at an all time low in the states. People are pretty agitated at each other to say the least. And truth be told, it's a deep and complicated issue that's been brewing for a LONG time. Although I partially blame mainstream media for perpetuating the divide and stoaking the fires. While it's important to discuss the issues at hand I think it's a bit, unnecessary to cram it into EVERY piece of media we have these days. Maybe this is my stupid opinion but I wish there were more positive relations depicted between black and white people in media. It doesn't even have to be political, just simple buddy kinda stuff. People are getting extremely paranoid these days and it's going to spill over soon if everyone doesn't calm the fuck down.

Micro stuff that grates on you after a while. Speak with a softer voice, dont dress like this, style your hair this way, etc etc. I'm a college aged male and I have a way I want to act. I already see Sup Forumsacks interpreting this as me wanting to act like a hoodrat but that is far from it(I've actually been called an oreo many times). It's like telling a brown man to not wear certain clothes and shave his beard when he gets on a flight so he doesn't scare white people.I understand different contexts call for different ways to present yourself but as a black man I feel I have to be in job interview mode when I'm around whites no matter what.

I always like to compare Obama and Trump when I talk about how whites and blacks are held to different sociological standards. Obama would have been impeached by now if he did and said half the shit Trump did.

Either way we're getting away from the genesis of the argument. And I dont want to derail the thread.

Are we talking about BP or it's spinoffs. I know they got cancelled but assumed the main book is sill going as it has around 30,000 sales as of april.

How?

Imagine for an instant that you are a black person recently liberated from the shackles of slavery. Though you are technically free, you are still in a disadvantageous position. You lack civil rights, economic security or even a unified culture. You're still closed out of most jobs and positions because of lingering racist sentiments. You don't feel safe in this strange, foreign country which you are supposedly a citizen of regardless of the fact that you've been told you belong here now and all around you you see white people prospering happily despite all the atrocities they've enforced on your people. Naturally, you're going to develop a kind of resentment for these people. Hell, you've developed a resentment for black people because they say mean things about you on the internet and TV. When you think about it, black people only got equal rights fairly recently and are still feeling the economical and social aftershocks of their disenfranchisement in some pockets today. Black/White relations are in a better place now than ever before and they'll only improve more as people realise that we're really not that different and black people pull themselves further out of the position slavery left them in. You can't expect every single black person to just roll over and get over it, especially when there are still plenty of examples of inequity present in this day and age. Wounds don't just heal instantly because you want them to.

>Well it's pretty obvious that race relations are at an all time low in the states.
What the KKK is lynching again? I thought Superman ruined there rep good.

Sure, I think people should be able to make what they want to appeal to whatever audience they want. I can just as easily not see something if it doesn't interest me.

My biggest gripe with the whole black media is just the lack of I don't know exactly the right word here, variety? I think it would be interesting to see how different themes and genres are represented, like sci-fi or fantasy through a black lens. Like I know there is some variety but I would like to see more stuff explored, but equally if that's not what people want to make, that's fine by me.

>All time low

lol

>It took 43 Presidents before
>There are a few
>There are a few
>They overlap with the majority of CEOs, so a few
>That's what selective breeding will do for ya
>What is the Atlantic Slave Trade?
cmon bro, you've got half a leg to stand on

Oh boy, another black people thread.

Has anyone stated that white people have literally never done anything wrong and black people are to blame for everything including slavery and systemic oppression yet?

>The dude want's to chastise black people for venting their frustrations through art.
>LMAO FUCK WHITE PEOPLE WE WUZ KANGZ PAY US WHITEY YOU OWE US WE MADE EVERYTHING
>y u wyte people not buying our books/watching our movies?

You can argue that, but it's not like the community wasn't occasionally sabotaged.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwood,_Tulsa

Those are social norms everyone has to conform to, dumbass.

>Black people aren't allowed to still be sore about slavery and racism
>White people are perfectly entitled to openly hate black people because they made them feel bad by saying things they didn't like

It's that racist ass nigga on cbr who shits on every white person. He read that stupid fucking NightHawk trash.

He should pull his pants up and stop generazling white people.

>"Hey a small percentage of blacks achieved success. They didn't have to face any obstacles at all due to the color of their skin and that means racism is offically over you fucking nigger!"

For fucks sake are you even old enough to remember the Birther Movement against Obama?

>>White people are perfectly entitled to openly hate black people because they made them feel bad by saying things they didn't like
Only on Sup Forums

.....This seems relevant
youtube.com/watch?v=H4A1haySbx8

Every non white hates back people because they are the quintessential privileged class. Welfare, media, whites, and the government caters to their whims and ignores everyone else. And yet they're literally the biggest failures in America s a group. Despite most of them starting out with more than the Latinos, Asians, and he'll even actually Africans.

The only people who tolerates them is whitey because of guilt.

T. First when immigrant

These types of arguments usually work by closing your eyes, clogging your ears and shouting "LALALALALA" over any evidence that white people aren't constantly skipping around the ghetto handing millions to any black person they encounter.

That is the type of shitty attitude indicative of your race. Look at us Asians. My parents came here as refugees. They had nothing but the clothes on their backs. They may have worked shitty factory jobs for white bosses, but today, I am renting out rooms for white people that want my apartments. One generation. That's all it took. You fuckers have been here for 5 to 6 generations and you're still on welfare crying about oppression of your shitty culture and mentality. You got to work with white people you stupid nigger. Part of being civilized is making people feel comfortable around each other. I don't have to make sure that white couple renting from me is comfortable around me, but I do it because it's fucking common decency. Something you fucking niggers have not learned since you were in chains.

didn't marvel push hudlin's run a lot more? not to mention adding storm to the series

>I KEEP IT REAL YO
>IT AIN'T MY JOB TO TREAT OTHERS HOW I WANNA BE TREATED

Holy shit I hope a cop bashes your skull like a fucking walnut

Are you old enough to remember that Obama was democratically elected by popular vote? Obviously racists have power in America.

That's because he was a Democrat with a foreign sounding name.

That's bullshit, but I believe it.

Having to conform to a social norm based on the color of your skin isn't right. Especially if white person can get away with doing something I would go down for.

Again if Obama had multiple divorces and multiple baby mamas like Trump, you'd be on Sup Forums memeing about how all black men are deadbeats.

>Literally using the "Obama was president, racism doesn't exist anymore" argument

>Trump: Sometimes you gotta grab em by the pussy
>White Women: Hey what he says in his personal life is totally different than what goes on in his professional life!!

>Obama: Sometimes you gotta grab em by the pussy
>White Women: That fucking rapist nigger going to run my country? over my dead body!

Well, statistically blacks rape more, so it's not a huge mental leap.

I'm Irish. My grandfather, as in my mother's father, is missing a hand for being accused of stealing and because he was a filthy Mick he got a hand taken from him after facing "mob justice." His father shoveled shit for about ten cents for every 20 pounds, whereas every nigger around him got about five times. HIS father didn't even get paid, he got to live in a hot as fuck shack where if he wasn't putting in as much work as his black "co-workers" his got shit kicked in by his English owner's lackeys. His brother died after he got caught fucking some other slave, a
black girl, and was beaten into a coma. The kid that came from their fucking starved to death because no one wanted a Redleg working for them. Irish blood would devalue a black slave. My mother raised me basically on her own because my father bailed. I live in a highly Italian area in New England where there's still massive prejudice about Irish-Americans.

Never for a second in my life have I ever bitched to any non-Irish person about it, nor have I ever acted like I was owed reparations.

What excuse do you have?

Okay man I'm not trying to turn this into a big policial thing but don't act as if the shit going on in 2017 and how hard uh certain people are acting in Washington isn't a direct response to Obama and what he did.

>Especially if white person can get away with doing something I would go down for.

I'm pretty sure if a white guy robbed a gas station a punched a police officer he would be subject to the same penalties.

Thing is, roughly all of robberies these days are committed by black people so there's not a lot of white examples to go on.

Racism exists. It's just irrelevant. No one is systematically oppressed is Western society.
>making up a fantasy scenario to be angry over
user, what are you doing?

I don't know about you but Bill Clinton was constantly being shit on by the public for his escapades, he was the butt of jokes during his presidency.

They do, that's why more whites get shot by cops.

It's not. Go to any immigrant community and they hate African Americans. He'll, go to a college with a African student. They hate American blacks.

>Trying
user, these type of threads are usually occupied with anons being outright about their hatred of black people.

>They hate American blacks.
Black Africans hate black Americans, black Europeans, black everything. Hell they hate other Black Africans.

>Again if Obama had multiple divorces and multiple baby mamas like Trump
He would actually be fun to make fun of, he was the most boring President in that regard.

Nah nigga.

>Asians
>The most disrespected race in the country
>Known for being eager to cuck up to white people

Also Shin if you could see through those slant eyes of yours then you may have been able to read a history book and learn that your parents didn't endure half the shit Blacks endured in this country. No shit all it took was one generation for your family to own a shitty motel. Your parents didn't deal with Jim Crow and the countless other atrocities African Americans had committed against them.