ITT: Movies that aren't officially adaptations, but are still highly influenced by comics/cartoons

ITT: Movies that aren't officially adaptations, but are still highly influenced by comics/cartoons
how did Moebius and Jodorowsky lose the lawsuit?

American Splendor is a film that for the most part is not based on the comic but the style of it.

Because Moebius actually was hired as a concept artist for the film.

Kind of ruins the claim that they stole your work if you have actually been hired to paint stuff for the film.

Robocop
Darkman
The Incredibles, although that one's influenced by James Bond films almost as much as it is by Silver Age comics.

>sue your employer for receiving your work
Absolute madman.

Moolteetool!

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Moolteepass!

M...multi...pass...

Has a lot in common with 40k. A lot of fan theories have it as one of the first human experiences in the Warp.

The 1990 movie Hardware ripped off a 2000AD story called Shok. They were sued and if you watch the movie now it credits the comic creators.

Didn't the guy who created Hardware go crazy or something?

Moebius and Jodorowsky didn't sue anyone. Their editor did. They were against the lawsuit. Jodorowsky considered it an honor that his ideas were "stolen"

Moebius was the reason they lost though.

Makes sense. The self mutilation and then the worshiping of the beyond.

50% of Hardware is a fat guy jacking off with infrared goggles. Was that in the comic?

Probably the first movie to explore what it would really look like if superheros (and supervillains) actually walked among us. And yet, with all the gritty sloppy nasty "reality" it tipped the old fedora to as many comic book tropes as it could squeeze in, down to color-coding.

Yeah yeah, M Night Shamalamadingdong, whatever. I thought it was damn good.

Their publisher sued and Giraud testified against it because he helped with the concept art.

>superheros

Yes?

>yfw split

> make a Sup Forums thread
> why do we get so many tv shitposters, guys?

You know, why isn't it anything good that humans find floating in space? Like some proof of a benevolent God or a planet of amusingly phallic rock formations.

Shit is always darkness beyond darkness that sharpens it's teeth on human suffering

2001 A Space Odyssey was benevolent-ish.

>tfw we'll never get that Nicolas Winding Refn adaption of The Incal

>Kind of ruins the claim that they stole your work if you have actually been hired to paint stuff for the film.
There's a difference between the work you create/offer being used and the studio stealing concepts/plots/characters/etc. from you work that you did not offer them.
Just because Moebius made a droid for The Empire Strikes back doesn't mean Lucasfilm could have put John DiFool into the movie without seeking to obtain the rights.

Holy crap

What's the deal, user? Is there some connection?

WTF I love Event Horizon now

It's superheroes, you twit.

Split is a sequel. And there's gonna be a third entry as well.

Nice. I haven't seen split yet. Unbreakable is one of my personal top ten movies though, always been keen for sequels.

Destiny with the Traveler? Technically that found them though.

it was pure manga/anime, not comics/cartoons though

Fedoracore.

C.S. Lewis had the theory that until mankind accepted the will and grace of God, that space travel would always do more harm than good.
In a lot of sci-fi works, regardless of any writer/screenwriter's take on religion, that kind of "fear of the unknown because there's nothing protecting us unless we seek protection somewhere" ideology underpins things. Basically, one guy with tons of exposure has an idea, and everyone else rolls with it as a sort of unwritten rule.

>tfw seeing this on 70mm tonight

Fuck you, that movie rocks and in my experience it's the fedoras that always shit on it for some reason.

there's this movie called Zoom on Netflix and its a fucking trip that would make Morrison cream himself

I was going to mention another Arthur C. Clarke novel, "Rendevouz with Rama," which was similarly benevolent-ish; a superior alien race whose interest in mankind isn't malign so much as overbearing.

Have you never watched an episode of star trek?

Has nothing in common.
Accept maybe the fact, that ship design was based on a cathedral.

It's good, stupid fun. Some of the concepts and moves were down right ridiculous.

I wish there was more futa of her

It was based on a 2000AD story so that is entirely possible

Zoom is a worse version of Adaptation

It's pretty much an American version of Outlaw Star.

>Movies

It's better than benevolent. The subtext of 2001 (movie only)is that the monolith represens humans overcoming the conditioning of the government/media/other BS. The monolith was never alien, it was a hoax by the us government.

Serenity then.

>The Matrix Trilogy was essentially The Wachowski sisters making their own Ghost in the Shell.

>Movies that aren't officially adaptations, but are still highly influenced by comics/cartoons
I still don't know if this is an actual ripoff of X-23 Innocence Lost and Target-X or if it's just the greatest coincidence of all time that almost all major story beats coincidentally align that way.

What is this
>Glasses on the bottom left
Well can't hate the design

Lawrence Fishburne's character is the smartest motherfucker in the movie
>Watches everything go to shit in the video log
>Immediately decides to get the fuck outta there and blow it up, No research or salvage, just destroy it.

Now the question is, who did they encounter? Tzeentch, Slaanesh, Khorne or Nurgle?

>Nobody posts Heavy Metal.
Shame on you Sup Forums.

Not really.

>The monolith was never alien, it was a hoax by the us government.
Even the monolith poked by the monkeys?

Not a movie (sadly) but TF2 comes to mind

This is the first time hearing about this who is moebius and who is jordorsky?

>who is moebius and who is jodorowsky
bruh
BRUH

>who is moebius and who is jordorsky
Sup Forums never fails to dissapoint

>you will never master the Gun-kata
>sadfedora

>moebius and who is jordorsk

How old are you? Serious question.

Jodorowsky is a wizard, he officially trained Moore AND Morrison into the arcane psychedelic arts. Gaiman wished he was as cool as him.

You dont know it yet but Jodorowsky is also your master.

I just watch the movie i never pay attention to names.

Except steven spielburg who plaster his name like that lucas guy,

>Jodorowsky considered it an honor that his ideas were "stolen"
He believes ideas are to be shared and built upon. He rips off everything under the sun but in an entirely unique way. If someone rips him off it confirms his ideas were good enough to be reinterpreted. Jordo is based

Yeah, him and most the cast of Aliens had the right idea. "Get the fuck outta here and nuke it from orbit"

CS Lewis probably has the longest list ever of ways to human failure. Read The Screwtape Letters, it's just an elder demon telling a younger one subtle ways to seed the fall of man. Even though i don't agree with a lot of his ideas, they are subtle and thought provoking

>user asks who moebius and jordorsky are
>Could help user by telling him who they are
>Can even suggests some of their works to user
>Can turn user into a fan
NAAAAH! F that, lets mock user! Sup Forums never fails to disappoint.

Moebius is a French artist/writer who is known for his wild and beautiful style. Pic Related

Jordorsky is a film director known for trippy and deep movies like El Topo and Holy Mountain.

They both tried to make Dune into a film.

This movie was fine until the greek god shit.

You should mention that Jodorowsky (not Jordorsky) and Moebius (AKA Gir AKA Jean Giraud) collaborated on comics together, including L'Incal (which The Fifth Element took a lot of inspiration from, alongside Moebius' The Long Tomorrow (which was written by Dan O'Bannon, who also wrote Alien (which Moebius also worked on)) and Enki Bilal's Nikopol Trilogy).

Ur a retard

Yes, it was a hoax by the governapement of the United States of Mesopotamia.