Why don't we ever have Pearls Before Swine threads?

Why don't we ever have Pearls Before Swine threads?

Other urls found in this thread:

stephanpastis.wordpress.com/2014/06/07/ever-wished-that-calvin-and-hobbes-creator-bill-watterson-would-return-to-the-comics-page-well-he-just-did/
youtube.com/watch?v=iWcTQayQLpk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This is more red-pilled than I remember.

I thought this strip was 99% shitty puns

The author managed to piss off the entire Turkish government with this comic

Stephen will usually do drawn out puns to fill up Sunday comics, almost all ending with Rat murdering him or threatening to do so.

The dailies are a mix of convoluted story arcs, equally bad but shorter puns, and often pretty funny political gags.

When did they allow this type of content on newspaper comics?

They're still very stringent, but Pearls and Get Fuzzy are practically the only two currently relevant strips that sell papers and books, and since both push the envelope, the newspapers end up being the ones that fold under pressure.

Pastos says adding a "comic book censor" character made newspaper editors less zealous because "they didn't want to look like the guy in the comic."

>ywn convince your relatives and friends you had a divorce because of your comic strip

Does this remind you of anyone?

DELETE THIS

I love Pearls Before Swine. It's the only strip I regularly read since C&H ended.

Good. Fuck Turkey.

I dont get it

god damn it

The blue bear?

Best newspaper comic

Cyanide and Happiness is still running. They've spent less time making comic strips and more time making cartoons, though.

Thats kinda the truth.
But some just want to tell stories and entertain people.
And than maybe get some appreciation.

This, get fuzzy, and Calvin and Hobbes are fucking elder god tier comic strips
I have all of Calvin and Hobbes in physical form and some of pearls before swine and get fuzzy

>Does this remind you of anyone?

It reminds me that Opus used to be the staff "stripper" (cartoonist) for the Bloom Picayune in the old Bloom County strips.

Calvin & Hobbes you fucking retard.

These strips came out before ISIS was a thing, too.

Turkey is turning into a fundamentalist shithole now because it's moving away from Ataturk's ideas and ideals.

Pearls is one of the few comic strips that I still read on a regular basis. It's pretty amazing how Pastis comes up with some of these puns.

What the fuck was Bill Amend's problem?

He really is.

Stephen Pastis is a right leaning Greek guy who fucked with the entire Turkish government and constantly shits on the Arabic world when he has the chance.

>talking about Homestuck in front of normies
This makes me feel uncomfortable. Embarrassed even.

for those who don't know, that middle panel was done by Bill Watterson of Calvin and Hobbes fame, apparently he's actually a big fan of PBS

Stephen reprinted a censored cyanide and happiness comic once as a jab at comic book censors.

it could be a friendly jab, nothing malicious or evil anons

What year are these from? The elephant is meant to be the GOP right? Is it Bush or Trump? Who are the crocs and zebras meant to be?

stephanpastis.wordpress.com/2014/06/07/ever-wished-that-calvin-and-hobbes-creator-bill-watterson-would-return-to-the-comics-page-well-he-just-did/

Such a big fan he actually came out of his Walden esque hiding to reach out to Stephen and do some guest illustrations

That strip was released June 6, 2010.

They had to give up their hats.

Well I just don't get it then

Pretty sure that Stephan is good friends with most of the other comic artists. I see him poking fun or joking about FoxTrot, Frazz, Non Sequitur and a few others on a regular basis.

2010. The elephant is supposed to reflect both Dubya Bush and Obama's peace (by piece) plan to give Israel over to it's enemies.

good.
Israel was a mistake

Didn't he get Watterson to draw a week of strips for him?

Technically that content has been "allowed" for a while, but the readership of a lot of papers will shitbomb comics that they find slightly offensive until the paper cancels them, so cartoonists either accept that they'll make less money with edgy content or water down their jokes.

My local paper added "WuMo" a few years back, which by all rights is a fairly harmless single panel absurdist strip, and there were constant letters to the editor complaining about how offensively nihilistic the strip was. I don't think WuMo is a good strip myself, but I still don't see how it would offend people.

>there are normal, functional members of society who remember following Homestuck when they were 10
>these people could be waifufag Internet addicts, but are not

>who remember following Homestuck when they were 10
Fuck you, kid

Not sure if troll or SJW

Didn't Bill Amend mainly consider Jason his "self insert" in the comics?
Could just be self-mockery and he actually does like the comic. I don't think he'd actually act that maliciously, just looks like that at face value.

My favorites are where he shits on Family Circus.

>being against Israel makes you a bleeding heart SJW
>supporting Israel makes you a jew-loving SJW
Thanks, Syndrome.

We have Steven Universe threads every damn day, what are you on about?

>Didn't he get Watterson to draw a week of strips for him?
Other way around IIRC, Watterson approached him.

Took me a second

There's no such thing as a Jew-loving SJW. The only Jews they tolerate are those that totally abase themselves and deny their heritage.

I thought Sup Forums would have hated Pearls, glad to see I was wrong.

it's just a friendly jab

literally today's comic

the ratio is not looking good these days

>I thought Sup Forums would have hated Pearls

Why?

To be fair, writing strips for every single day of the year for years can really strain someone's humor. I do agree the strip has been declining with more lame puns, but I don't mind so much because so many are golden.

I'm sort of surprised Bill knew about Hark! a Vagrant, and decided to mention it in an actual Sunday strip.

>peace (by piece)
youtube.com/watch?v=iWcTQayQLpk

>Why?
a number of reasons
-Self insert of the cartoonist
-Puns for days
-Art isnt good
I like it but Sup Forums normally don't like what I like

>Self insert of the cartoonist

Pastis actually pulls it off pretty well though, he's reached pretty big heights with his self-deprecating humor (for example, he doesn't smoke and he isn't fat), so I don't see why Sup Forums would have a problem.

>Puns for days
>Art isn't good

Fair enough, we have a lot of "ARTISTIC KINO ONLY" people on this board.

Homestuck launched in 2009, dude.

For that kind of person anyone younger is a kid and anyone older is probably some other pejorative. The only good age is whatever age he is.

Now THIS is depressing

This one is my favorite, mostly because I grew up near Ann Arbor.

How did I miss this thread?

Pearls is one of my favorite strips and I still follow it daily, though it's been in a pretty sad state of formulaic routine in the past few years.

I honestly think that years of cartooning and no longer having to dodge the censors as strictly has taken its toll on Pastis.

>it's just a friendly jab
More than that, it's free advertising. That's the kind of thing you do for your friends (and Iirc Bill is friends with the pearls before swine guy)

That is so fucking weird. I remember reading it in high school and I graduate '08. I guess I am mixing up Homestuck and problem sleuth, but if you had asked me I would have bet my life.

Wasn't homestuck a sequel to something?

Holy crap I never knew Pearls Before the Swine was so good. No wonder Watterson did a guest strip for them, I haven't seen a syndicated comic with actual balls in a long time.

Why are you surprised that newspaper comic strip artists know of super popular web comics that have best-selling physical books?

As a Columbus boy, I know the feeling

If no one is looking you can get away with anything and od whatever you want.. Rex Morgan had a plot a few years back about a guy going on an Asian sex odyssey, writing a book abut it describing all the prostitutes he screwed in great detail and used it to torment his wife and kids. But it was so glacially paced and no one actually reads rex morgan, so they got away with it. That's why I call it the Rex Morgan effect.

Good stuff

I used to scoff at those people. Sure, I hated Baby Boomers, but I was OK with Gen X and I was sure that the kids would be even better than we were.

Then Gen Z grew up, and split into SJWs and the alt-right.

Still, I automatically assume everyone on Sup Forums is cool, until they prove they have shit taste.

>Self insert of the cartoonist

Does anybody care about that as long as the author insert isn't idealized? Stephan just spends his comics shitting on himself. And not in the "woe is me, rel8ubl" way, more like "look at this pathetic loser and laugh!" way