Hanna-Barbera thread for their 60th anniversary

Hanna-Barbera thread for their 60th anniversary.

Other urls found in this thread:

polygon.com/2016/4/13/11420874/warner-bros-rebooting-scooby-doo-with-live-action-film-s-c-o-o-b
youtube.com/watch?v=8TNWSGCiBzg
closinglogos.com/page/Hanna-Barbera Cartoons
forum.vintagesynth.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=72025
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraman:_The_Adventure_Begins
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

why is CN ashamed of their hanna-barbera predecessors

>Hanna-Barbera
Better not be in the schedule.

Outside of Tom & Jerry they don't have much worth watching. Even as a kid I dreaded Huckleberry Hound or Yogi the Bear cartoons. Just complete ass.

I wonder how SCOOB will do, it's apparently a starter movie for HB cinematic universe

i hated the laugh track so much in these cartoons

H-B went for quantity over quality, and it showed. Also trips confirm

I feel old

Speed Buggy movie when?

And Scooby-Doo?

whats the best hanna barbera cartoon not featured in op's image and why is it the impossibles?

bump

I wanna see some Japanese movie-makers to take Wacky Races and make a live action movie.
Basically I want Japan's answer to the Speed Racer movie from a while back.

Did they ever team up with eh Super Harlem Globetrotters?

anyone remember snorks?

I think I saw half an episode.
I've probably seen more about Snorks on Robot Chicken than their actual show.

Flåklypa Grand Prix was stop motion Wacky Races.

What are the best hanna-barbera cartoons? I want to watch some of the older ones, but I only have Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? and Super Friends on the watch list

Phase two. But introduced in Jabberjaws.

I believe the original Powerpuff Girls was the last cartoon produced under the Hanna-Barbera label. I sometimes miss that logo that came after the end credits.

Red Line

I can't tell if you're serious, though it sounds just retarded enough to be true.

polygon.com/2016/4/13/11420874/warner-bros-rebooting-scooby-doo-with-live-action-film-s-c-o-o-b

>live action

fuck.

finally a Sup Forums thread for two best girls

>Hanna-Barbera
>All those cloned characters
Why do people complain about the wave of tasteless flash shit when H-B was doing cheap souless animation first? Half their shows are centered around animal characters doing impersonations of 1950's actors for pete's sake.

I'll gladly take a clone with personality and style put into the overall design over a noodle-armed, dick mouth character with a personality of a sneaker.

This is the only Hanna-Barbera cartoon I liked, and maybe Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels

Hanna-Barbera's model was to turn every idea they could think of into a shitty show, and then eventually kids would come to not want to watch specific shows but just want to watch "cartoons" that they'd be the chief purveyors of.

>HB cinematic universe
Fucking what

Literally Great Value Smurfs

Um. Okay. Do kids even know any of these characters outside Scooby Doo? Yeah, Jetsons and Flinstones had those WWE things, but if you asked a kid about Magilla Gorilla or Squiddly Diddly is they'd just stare at you.

Animated universe.

I don't know what's worse though, the cal arts idea of "comfy humor" or hannah-barbara making a season-lifespan animal character parodying the honey-mooners.

Like that was the joke you see, the fact that Yogi-Bear was making honey mooner impersonations. It wasn't a joke, it was a reference, a meme. They did this hundreds of times.

It was shit now like it was shit then, they had to resort to other shit. Scooby-Doo was a hit? Well lets repeat it multiple times with shit like Funky Phantom or Dunebuggie.

Capeshit popular? Let's make do a few dozen non-descript heroes doing silver age tier crime fighting but put the least effort into character development.

Who the fuck even was spaceghost? What the hell was birdman? There is a reason these characters are only relevant as parodies of themselves, because the original basis was so cheap they weren't even characters.

That's going to fail so hard. The MCU was successful because most people didn't have that much experience with the characters and it worked as something that was pre-aware but still fresh and executed in the best possible way.

There have been a lot of bad renditions of Scooby Doo over the years, and that early '00s live action Scooby Doo movie is considered as notoriously bad as the Star Wars prequels. Everybody already expects it to be bad.

So basically make as many shows as possible so that they'd fill up time slots and make money just by the fact that kids would leave their TV's on?

Forget Scooby. Remember that live action Yogi Bear movie? Neither does anyone else.

Now imagine a whole cinematic universe of that.

What if they made a live action herculiods show?

I need a Thundarr movie

That's Ruby Spears, dude.

Huh, for some reason I always thought the male lead of the Herculoids was a guy with an energy sword.

So you're more of a Quick Draw McGraw fan? I can respect that.

Let's see, Josie and the Pussycats, Superfriends, Smurfs, Gilligan's Island... how many more cartoons did Hanna-Barbera make of already established properties?

Jonny motherfucking Quest.

I love the shit outta that logo. I often wonder how the sound that went with it was made.

Everyone who says that is just parroting it from someone else. If you'd ever actually watched it, it had more to do with Scooby Doo or Archie than it did the Smurfs.

Herculoids
Hillbilly Bears
Atom Ant

MUSIC TIME, NIGGAS.

youtube.com/watch?v=8TNWSGCiBzg

Have you ever watched anything from the 60s?
Character development just wasn't a thing back then. At best you got life lessons or maybe Major Nelson marries Genie but Rog is still a dumbass, Dr. Bellows is still clueless and Genie's evil cousin is still evil.

OG Scooby is good and Wacky Races was good or what it was. Also SWAT Kats is technically a H-B show and that's great.

What was the story of Space Ghost, do you know it?

There was a dude named Space Ghost and he fought evil aliens. That's it.

See, not backstory, no explanation. Why did he hang out with two kids and monkey?

>Why did he hang out with two kids and monkey?
Why not?

They were always getting kidnapped.

>ITT: Newfags, summerfags and children complain about the, even then, decades old Cartoons that built Cartoon Network
No wonder garbage like SU and all the shows that look like it are huge on Sup Forums

>Who the fuck even was spaceghost? What the hell was birdman?
A talk show host and a lawyer.

All those people would be too young to remember the day when shitty HB cartoons took up timeslots on cartoon network. People are hating them specifically because they were shit.

>herculiods

yeah but Joe Ruby and Ken Spears started off at HB :)

Thundarr has nothing to do with HB other than sharing the same shitty animators.

neither are sucy

easy

I actually like a lot of their older output. Daws Butler and Don Messick are two of the greatest voice actors of all time. A lot of people from MGM and WB worked on their cartoons.

People shit on the animation a lot but stuff like Huck Hound, Yogi Bear, and Quick Draw McGraw had likable characters and nice backgrounds. The first season of the Huckleberry Hound Show is kinda rough but it wasn't as stiff as what came later.

You can see the aesthetic developing in later MGM cartoons like "Sheep Wrecked" too.

Kids are staring at you because your a fucking freak

>H-B went for quantity over quality, and it showed.
They were facing network television closing down traditional animation altogether and created minimal animation to keep the suits from doing so. Get down on your fucking knees and thank them for all those shitty cartoons with looping backgrounds and floating facial cels because without those TV animation would have died before you were born.

>I often wonder how the sound that went with it was made.
closinglogos.com/page/Hanna-Barbera Cartoons
forum.vintagesynth.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=72025
> Hanna-Barbera "Swirling Star"
Logo Release: September 8, 1979
Synthesizer: ARP Quadra, Yamaha CS-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet 5
or Moog PolyMoog Keyboard/Synthesizer
Composer: Hoyt Curtin
Verdict: A very complex jingle that is synched with the visuals of
the logo. But the music here sounds very minimalist; like a sped-up
version of the 1972 WGBH logo jingle (read: Hoyt Curtin doing
something inspired by the works of Philip Glass).

>We start out with ascending and descending chimes mixed with a "whoosh" sound with each revolution of the star. When the star stops, the entire thing culminates in a gentle synth chord as the chimes finish in the background. This was written by Hoyt Curtin.

Hoyt died in 2000, so there's no asking him.

how did HB dominate the animation circuit back in the day? all their shows were basically the same

i like them

Exposition and comic relief

No just no

wtf is wrong with you

what's new pussycat ooohh ooua aau

>hannah-barbara making a season-lifespan animal character parodying the honey-mooners.
>honey-mooners.
????

Flintstones.

Squiddly Diddly showed up in the background of one of the new samurai jack episodes.

Magilla Gorilla for sale, Magilla Gorilla for sale
Magilla Gorilla for sale, I got a Magilla Gorilla for sale

To be fair, how many kids were screaming Iron Man before that kicked off? And we saw the inverse where being a huge culture icon (Superman) isn't enough to save you either.

Scoob provides a small established audience that will see it, but its going to take actual work to attract people. Sort of like wonder woman.

>but its going to take

*but it's going to take

They did an anime or rather a co production back in the 80's

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraman:_The_Adventure_Begins

There was no other local competition.

>because your a fucking freak

*because you're a fucking freak