Spend 6 years building a solid as fuck reputation as the company that does capes properly

>spend 6 years building a solid as fuck reputation as the company that does capes properly
>throw it all down the toilet in one issue by killing off half your interesting C-listers for a cheap shock issue

JUST FUCK MY UNIVERSE UP SENPAI

imagine being joshua dysart right now. you spent a lot of time and effort building up some fantastic new characters that for a while were the main thing which distinguished this run of valiant from the 90s originals, you planned out a fantastic storyline that you ended up having to cram the third act of into 1 fucking issue and then all your characters get killed in a comic written by a fedora wearing retard whos only other comics are some edgy comedy crap that nobody on earth has actually enjoyed.

storytime?

the valiant universe has 'psiots' which are quite similar to the x-men but they have to be activated (there are several ways to do this) these characters are generation zero, a group of child psiots who were activated by a military contractor called Project Rising Spirit and then escaped from them and then later on took over this town called Rook from some not very nice people.

these guys are the H.A.R.D. corps, they are non-psiot soldiers that have Project Rising Spirit hardware in their brains that allows them to use one psiot power at a time from a kind of bank of psiot powers that PRS has been able to replicate.

all of these characters have had good stories apart from Wyrm who is some random OC

last time we saw the generation zero team the takeover of Rook was presented as an interesting new status quo for a future writer to use

btw another important thing about H.A.R.D. corps is that they have bombs in their head so that if one dies in combat they get detonated and the enemy can't reverse engineer their psiot hardware (they also tend to threaten to use it if the soldiers won't do what they want like Amanda Waller and Suicide Squad)

last time we saw the H.A.R.D. corps the team seemed like it was going to be disbanded, with Flatline (pink hair) betraying her team and Palmer subtly helping them. the team was made completely redundant since PRS was scaling up the operation and mass recruiting soldiers across the world. this issue does not explain why they are all back together as if nothing happened.

that guy who got killed was quite an interesting character, but he only got the spotlight for half of a single issue before being killed to sell this schlocky event buildup comic

like i said this whole town owned by generation zero thing was a very interesting concept, but for some reason valiant comics decided to crash a plane into it in its very next appearance

the character who just died wasnt actually very interesting at all in this case so who cares

btw these two teams crossed paths before when generation zero first escaped (it was a big event that had a lot of deaths in it but unlike this it was not about killing established characters for a 1-issue sales boost, it had good writing and art too)

this is another OC that has, like Wyrm, blatantly been included to serve some plot function later down the line. seems like a good idea to kill off a bunch of actual characters with personalities and then throw in some OCs that have no personality and are just there to serve a plot purpose!! kind of reminds me of any marvel event ever!!

major palmer is hideously out of character in this story btw

this character has a really interesting superpower where they can see loads of future possibilities in a kind of abstract visual way that is normally made to look great by a good artist. in this case they just made her punch a guy a bit?

one of valiant's best writers created this character to drive the plot of valiant's first event. he gave him a strong personality and motivations and made sure to keep writing stories with him after the event was over rather than just chuck him aside. like pretty much everyone in generation zero he has pretty interesting and unusual powers and had a strong character arc until being killed by this hack writer

this character is a psiot fetus who was activated during a massive attack on earth by aliens (another psiot has been activated by a nuclear bomb but this kind of activation is very rare). now the character is dead and the great concept is gone.

wyrm has served his plot purpose now. bye wyrm

Well that's terrible.

Funny just today I decided to drop buying this series because it didn't interest me. I guess I made a good choice.

this writers original characters so far in this run include a smart guy whos good at planning stuff and a guy who can shoot fire out of his hands (neither have much personality).

meanwhile he has decided to kill an existing character with unique powers that you will not see anywhere else and a strong personality

What's next? XO Manowar kills the valiant universe. On stands 9th December.

at least they didnt kill animalia (yet)

I think this might be the first Valiant issue I've seen storytimed in almost a year

(btw in her last appearances Animalia stopped turning into cartoon animals because she thought it was childish and started turning into anime characters because she thinks its more adult, it was pretty funny and a nice little development but they've completely dropped it in this comic)

Project Rising Spirit recently got shut down for essentially carrying out a false flag attack so they could save the day and then sell their new technology that saved the day. so now a lot of the higher ups have secretly reformed as Project Omen.

and here is the cherry on the top of this pile of fucking shit issue, whatever your political leanings this is some immature tacky shit that is completely out of place in what is meant to be a serious event leadup comic.

Oh man. You can tell that barely anyone on the board reads Valiant stuff because this page would be plastered everywhere this week.

Has there ever been a good killing field in comics? The only one i rarely hear people complain about is the ending in The Boys. Other than that it seems like they only pull this kind of shit to piss people off.

Do you mean a large group of characters getting killed off? It was almost a tradition in Hellblazer, with each writer killing off or imprisoning (writing out) the previous writer's characters.

J U S T
U
S
T

Wow. Great social commentary Roberts.

ok... NOW drumpf is finished

Cheap way to get heat on an antagpnist, using Trump. Kind of lazy. Trump is a propaganda spewing moron but using him as a catalyst to enforce negativity is weak.

Yes. A Large group of established characters. How was it recieved with Hellblazer?

Yikes

Glad I kinda stopped reading Valiant now.

I don't mind characters dying, but killing vagabond just for shock value is bullshit.

They turned him into your stereotypical evil military commander.

Nobody reads Valiant so they thought they'd go for shock sales, not realizing that only works for DC/Marvel because people care enough to make a big fuss when it happens to them.

Okay, this fucking horrible and the worst thing valiant has published since the reboot, and is just page after page of characters getting killed for shock value.

I honestly can't tell you what people thought about it at the time. I only read the run years after it happened.

That said, the very first issue of the solo series has Constantine tricking a former friend into becoming the host to a hunger demon, and locking him in constant pain.
Constantine getting everyone connected to him killed in gambits was kind of how he rolled. I don't know if people actually got attached to the supporting cast.

RIP

I really liked that issue. It really painted a tragic picture of johns situation. Losing/sacrificeing everyone he gets attached to.

Anyway, it seems like these mass killings of established characters are ony used to cleanse the palett for a while. No pun intended. but this issue just really flustered my jimbos with that Trump tweet at the end.

lmao what happened to valiant? i havent kept track after the reboot but some of their stuff seemed promising

Excluding Shadowman, it was almost all good-to-great for years.

Ultimatum 2.0

It really was a good start to a long series.
I was wrong, it was issue 1 and 2. It was adapted for the TV show, but they made it self-sacrificing, not John tricking him
1/3

2/3

3/3
John drinking himself silly while the ghosts of everyone he got killed happened a lot in the series

It has been a while since i read Bloodshot, but i don't remember Palmer being this much of asshole.

Goddamn

I don't even like Gen Zero, but wow