Favorite Genre?

Noir/Street-Level? Sci-Fi? Hard Science Fiction? Horror? Cosmic? Cosmic Horror?

What is it Sup Forums, what is it? Pic is just random.

Nothing, really? I mean, I know Sup Forums's favorite saying is "fuck off character/genrefags", but everybody has a favorite... something.

occult urban fantasy
which unfortunately is a turbo niche genre across all mediums and cultures

So kinda like... Moench's Moon Knight? X-Files crossed with the first season of True Detective?

Lovecraft?

Lovecraft is Cosmic Horror. Sci-Fi Gods taken to the Eldtrich Abominations extreme. Occult Urban Fantasy I'd say is cults operating on Wall Street and sacrificing kids to Mamon or something.

probably a tie between "non-political war action" (ex: G.I. Joe) and "semi-realistic vigilante" (ex: The Punisher)

What exactly does lovecraft and "lovecraftian" mean? I never got that concept. Give an example?

I see that you, too, are a man of taste

Lovecraft's stories were chock full of squid monsters whose mere sight drove you mad. They were huge in scope, and thus the monsters and gods rarely appeared, due to their size, on a metaphysical sense.

Generally they mean cults, huge squid alien gods and the themes of "we're insignificant". Lovecraft has influenced everything horror or sci-fi related, at least in some way. But there's never been a direct adaptation in film, so they throw this around to attract viewers and hype.

It's generally slang for "creepy horror".

Lovecraftian is cosmic horror with a focus on the raw insignificance of humanity in the grand scheme of things
It's famous for featuring eldritch monstrosities from beyond time and space, of such ridiculous scope that people who view them are generally driven mad. Some of the main themes are how the universe is an apathetic void filled with aggressive alien horrors.

The protagonists are generally detectives and researchers, in that they bump into things from beyond that drive them mad from the revelations. The best sort of quick description is the opening paragraph of Call of Cthulhu

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

People like who think it's just about squid monsters and is just slang for 'creepy horror' are fucking retarded

>occult urban fantasy
what even is this?

>rambles about insignificance
>sees it mentioned in the previous post
>sees squid monsters
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Jesus fuck ano, stop being an autist. The man asked what "lovecraftian" means as used in the current climate. When people use "lovecraftian", they mean cults and squid monsters. If he wanted to actually learn about Lovecraft, he could read the wiki.

Point is, "lovecraftian" is now slang for creepy squid monsters and cults. Don't blame me, blame the general audience. Or Peele who's making a lovecraft series that deals with racism in the south, of all things.

Nobody said a goddamn thing about 'in the current climate' or what retards who don't know anything mean when they say it, you fucking shitstain.
He asked what lovecraftian horror was, so don't go crying because you gave a retarded answer

The main thrust behind Lovecraft was the bleakness of an apathetic universe and the insignificance of humanity. Squid monsters are a by-product of that

He asked what lovecraftian means. Lovecraftian is a meme at this point, you dip. He didn't ask what Lovecraft's stories are about.

>The main thrust behind Lovecraft was the bleakness of an apathetic universe and the insignificance of humanity
Which I mentioned.

>Squid monsters are a by-product of that
Which are part of the mythos.

They're stories user. Nobody insulted your bear. And nobody is gonna give you a cookie for "accurately explaining the genius of Lovecraft". Get a grip and stop derailing the thread.

You're the autitst who threw a temper tantrum because I pointed out that you were wrong

Just because shitters meme about tentacles doesn't change the stories, what they mean, or what they're about. The fact that you're stupid enough to think that what lovecraftian 'means' is somehow different from what it's about, or that someone who's unsure of the concept is asking what the current-day memes are tells me how fucking stupid you are

You seem to seriously think that brainless morons who don't even read the fucking stories dictate what the genre is
Go back and cry into your Cthulhu plushie, because that's all you've relegated lovecraft to

>REEEEEEEEEEEEE
>someone insulted my writerfu
>even though he didn't
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hellblazer
Gotham By Midnight

Well, If you put a gun to my head, I'd probably say sci-fi. But if I had to describe my perfect genre, it'd be something like this:

A technologically advanced environment, but not too different. Think more Deus Ex/Mass Effect rather than Star Trek or Star Wars. Anyway, mostly that, but with an underlying tint of Cosmic Horror. Less cults and sacrifices, and more Reapers/Gah Lak Tus.

And in the midst of all that, you follow one, or just a few, protagonist(s) through their daily lives, with the stakes getting bigger and bigger all the time. You start with mild problems, but the ante keeps going up. Politics follow, then stuff like transhumanism, until you reach full cosmic and start going into Prometheus territory.

So, generally... hard sci-fi mixed with cosmic horror. Although I do like myself some good ol' creepy tales. Not too much gore or anything like that, just a dark atmosphere.

>"Its a meme!"
>No its not
>"REEEE"

I just like good stories, it's a lot easier to follow writers who understand what a good story arc is than a specific genre.

I want to say that I love horror, but the truth is I hate most of it and nitpick it much more than I would other genres, if that makes any sense.