Ultimate Spider-Man Pt. 1

Sorry it took so long to start. Wanted to make sure I had the best scans cause you all are worth it.

While I was initially going to just post the major story arcs tied to each of his major villains, I'm, contemplating just storytiming the whole shebang.

Do it all man.

It's interesting that Bendis more/less recreated this scene when he was introducing us to miles.
>Yep, this scene was definitely in the Miles issues. Some may see it as a homage, I see it as lazy. I may end up changing my mind later.

I can do that.

I'm joining the ride. Good one, OP.

>this guy was almost spider-man

Wow.

As much as Bendis' particular brand of writing grinds my gears, I consider this an his creator owned title Powers to be really really good comics. Not everyone would agree that they're great, but solid stories nonetheless.

It's really amazing how much stuff happened plot wise in this first arc, compared to how slow Miles' shit was/became

This will always be my favorite Spider-Man. Bendis may be Bendis, but this was my introduction to comics. I'll always love Bagley's art and I'll always have a soft spot for Ultimate Peter.

I wasn't even mad when he died. He got a good death. For a while.

Peter and Kitty Pryde died too soon.

In retrospect, knowing that Bendis created a great ship so he could break it up and push his waifu with his self-insert makes me want to stab him just a little bit.

Interesting take on Harry Osborn.

Speaking of which...

Sorry about posting images. This is relevant though.

wow that's kinda nuts.

>Will you get this kid out of here?!
Jesus, Norman. Where's the love?

THAT SPIDER IS HUGE!!!

He's such a dick. He would have made a great suited Green Goblin and not a Hulk monster.

Best Ben.

They sure are.

And down he goes.

It's mind boggling how there are many similarities between the two "first issues" and yet Peter's seems jam packed with stuff happening. Also it might be because this first issue is like 40 or so pages.

>J. Jonah Jameson presents

>ywn have a MJ bestfriend who later turns to GF

God punished me by putting me on this earth

Was in the same boat. SHe picked up my attraction to her and then proceeded to use me up in every way imaginable.
>Financially
>Socially
>Emotionally
>Occupationally
>And recreationally.

It will be good friendo. Time heals all wounds.

I did enjoy the fact that Peter and Miles had significantly different reactions to finding out they have spider powers.

>Bare Naked Ladies

IT'S BEEN ONE WEEK

Two of the biggest complaints I hear about Miles are that he's just kinda dull and his venom blast is OP as fuck, would you say those hold any weight?

Peter just can't catch a break, but I'm pretty sure that if Flash's parents sued they'd lose.

When did they start to differentiate Main Marvel and Ultimate Marvel with the lower case letters and ALLCAPS?

Here it's written in ALLCAPS and I remember the JMS run on Spidey around this time was written in lower case (which is, you know, backwards)

hands to yourself octavius damn.

The problem is Miles' personality went bye-bye as Bendis just handed Miles all of Peter's supporting cast for no reason other than because he kept killing off Miles' own for no reason other than writing himself into a corner. Then when all the Ultimates started fucking with the whole universe we get even more blatant bullshit of nothing happening for Miles other than using Peter's old cast as a crutch to somehow give Miles more "character" when all he was becoming to Peter 2.0. Also once Bendis made the Omega Red joke, I knew shit was going to get worse.

>which is, you know, backwards
WHile I think that the majority of the lettering in Ultimate Marvel was lowercase, many writers even later in teh series went back to all caps.

Personally, I enjoy the combination of upper and lower case when characters speak but I can't quite put my finger on why. Any thoughts?

As much as I was against the death of Peter, I legitimately feel like Miles has the potential to be a really good character. His relationship with his uncle was like a twisted version of uncle ben and having his mother die in his arms was a pivotal moment in Miles' life that was retroactively dismissed at the end of Secret Wars.

Having Miles have a few new powers did make him distinct from Peter but Miles' venom blast is the most broken ability I've ever seen in comics and he uses to one-shot all of his major blows. It's the equivalent of an instant win button. It's so broken that it has single handedly destroyed Miles chance of being a well written character. There is literally no tension when watching him in action because all he has to do is venom blast and he wins. I think Ultimate Taskmaster was one of the few villains it didn't quite work on.

I agree with everything you posted.

While I was initially just going to do Peter's journey until the end of issue #160, I'm considering doing all of Miles' Ultimate issues (not going to include his series post Secret War).

Even though he didn't have to, Bendis kept to the original story of Spider-Man being a wrestler starting out. The movie AMazing Spider-Man thought it was too good for that shit and decided to alter how he tests his powers and how uncle ben died.

I actually wonder if the Homecoming series (when it inevitably does a flashback) will make him a wrestler too.

that uncle ben is awesome