Isn't he and rick essentially the same character

isn't he and rick essentially the same character
>both genius scientists
>both addicts
>both go on wacky adventures and work as a guardian for naïve children
>both think magic/religion is stupid
>doesn't actually care about the wellbeing of their children

Rusty is an anti-matter Heinz Doofenshmirtz as much as anything else.

Rusty is bad at everything. Rick is shit at connecting with people but otherwise competent. Though honestly, while Rusty is a shit dad a lot of the time I still think he's better a family figure than Rick.

>rusty is bad at everything
that's the joke

Rick is actually a better person then Dr. Venture, if you can believe it.

how? explain pls

I know, I'm just saying it's why he's different from Rick.

yeah in that instance they're treated like polar oppsoies everyone in the show treats risty like he's a failure, a joke of a scientist and everyone treats rick like he's some some major level threat to the universe

*opposites

Rick Sanchez would get killed by Blue Morpho so easily.

Please, if this is a Venture Bros thread then we know who the REAL talent is: Henchman 21

>both genius scientists

Nope. Well, Rusty has a few genius inventions, but mainly he's 3rd rate.

Rusty isn't a genius is He? I thought he's been selling off his dad's old unsold works to live. I thought that was the joke?

He has a gift for evil science. Making zombies, building temporal radar that somehow also revives the dead, and of course the Joy Can.

>the guy who overthrew an intergalactic government could be taken out by a street-level villain
Woah...

It all depends if Rick's in the way of Arching Rusty or not.

huh

Venture is mostly motivated by money.
Risk is motivated by...i'm not sure, too drowsy to think someone help me out

he's good at his job and doesn't try to con others into buying mediocre inventions.

an....orphan...?

does rick even have a job?

Rusty is actually pretty shitty, at least compared to other super scientists, particularly his father.

It's enchanted with the heart of a forsaken child?!

rick committed literal genocide and enslaved an entire race

>That episode where it turns out Rusty would've made a competent villain
Shit hit me where I live

he sells guns to guys looking for solutions.

and drugs.

and selling "salvaged" tech.

Jonas was a shot tier father though. Who takes their kid on dangerous mission instead of leaving them with a sitter?!

Don't forget overthrowing a galactic federation AND the council. Not to mention a slew of other offenses

Rusty's a manipulative bastard, a dangerously retarded father to the point where he's lost his kids too many times, and a piss poor excuse for a man, but he's written in a way where he's easier to empathize with than Rick

he's a more successful person, but not a better person

The difference is Rusty is a washed up loser. Whereas everyone sucks Ricks dick, except Jerry, cause hes the greatest and smartest man in the multiverse!!

Remember the episode where he was in therapy with Johnny Quest?

Rick things magic/religion is stupid? I couldn't tell from that one angry expression he has in every fucking image of the show I've ever seen. tried watching five minutes of it, too cynical for me/I'm not enough of a jaded edgelord to see why its liked

You didn't ask which show was better, but I'll tell you it's Venture Brothers and kindly ask that you not mention Rusty Venture or any other well-written characters in the same sentence as that one-note shitshow ever again.

>Rusty is bad at everything.
Except being unintentionally villainous. Rick also does villainous things but whereas Rusty is in denial Rick just doesn't give a fuck about morality.

The people around Dr. Venture carry his show. Rick generally carries his show.

He's kinda like Pym, a mad scientist trying to be a good person.

>rick carries his show
but the show has been shit since the end of season 1 despite still being almost entirely rick???

It's great to a specific demographic, which it's made for. VB on the other hand is objectively pretty good even if you're not into that sort of thing.

Venture Bros is much better written.

Rust is not a genuis. Rick also cares a great deal more for his family, even if he's more of a sociophat than Rusty ever was.

t. someone who only watched a few episodes of the venture bros
rusty is literally constantly haunted mentally by the fact that he couldnt save his sons from their many deaths, he stopped brock from killing JJ since they're twins despite JJ having just tried to kill rusty, he's emotionally drained from his father abandoning him and when JJ revealed he was terminal rusty laid there with him for hours until he was unable to move from the numbness

Shitty comparison, Rusty's show is grounded in a reality of sorts, and Rick' s is designed specifically so that they can just do whatever they feel like at any time and we have to laugh at how silly Roiland's inane improvisations are.

Better art style too. I cannot stand Rick and Morty's unibrow shit.

>Don't forget overthrowing a galactic federation AND the council.
Well, you could argue that those are good things depending on your point of view. Smashing the teenyverse made him one of the biggest murderers in all of fiction, though, and should be irredeemable instead of being forgotten. I need to rewatch the series to be sure, but I think that might be the only time he maliciously killed innocents. Everything else, like the Cronengergs was at least a partial accident.

Rick and Morty is edgy reddit trash and there's nothing deep or complex about it, there's nothing original and there's nothing really that special about it, it basically just took elements from other shows in the adult animation genre, dumbed them down for a main audience and then shove in half assed "emotional" moments and edgy "deep" quotes and retards who were probably obsessed with Family Guy a year ago latched on to it and talk about it like its the second coming of animated Christ or something

VB is better and don't get half the credit

This.

>edgy reddit trash
Three buzzwords in a row is all it takes to render the rest of your rant meaningless.

Haven't seen butthurt like this in a good while.

le szechuan sauce

Why are you so angry about other people's opinions and taste?

VB gets plenty of credit and it's generally considered one of the best shows, it's just less popular for several reasons one of them being inconsistent and rare releases. Stop being so buttmad.

While I enjoy Venture Bros much more than Rick and Morty, when's the last time you've seen normalfags talk about it or seen merch of it in meme stores like Hot Topic?

>less popular
That's what it means. It's less accessible and isn't talked about nearly as much, but among people who know of it it's considered very good. If quality was the only reason things were popular you wouldn't see almost anything that is popular today. Things that are popular must be easily accessible and not require a lot of attention or side knowledge to get. If you have no understanding of culture or history, and won't watch it from the start VB won't be nearly as enjoyable, on the other hand RM makes virtually no difference whether you watch the whole show or a single episode. It's short, it's quotable and it's appealing to current culture trends, so teenagers, so people who by definition are loud when talking about things they like and have the time to watch it. People who like VB are generally far less excitable so less likely to promote it or buy merch. That's how the world works.

I believe that's what user was saying though, that Rick and Morty appeals more towards normalfags and teenagers that shop at hot topic. Roiland's lightning fast joke-a-minute improve makes it so that even the most ADHD millennial can enjoy it on it's humor alone, even if it has the depth of a puddle when looked at with a critical eye.

Where as Venture Brother's jokes are generally pretty longform, and relies heavily on viewer investment for a lot of running gags. That coupled with it's painfully slow release schedule make it pretty inaccessible to casual views who just want to watch a pop on a silly show and turn their brain off.

oh, and rusty also put himself in front of a gun to save hank when hank was threatened with a mercy killing by professor impossible, even though rusty assumed that hank was about to explode and kill everybody

>VB on the other hand is objectively pretty good even if you're not into that sort of thing
>even if you're not into that sort of thing
This is the only part of his post I was referring to. No one will say that VB is pretty good if they're not actually interested in it. VB is objectively higher quality than R&M, but normalfags will always say the latter is better unless they're specifically interested in former.

This. Rusty isn't a sociopath. He tries to be a good father, he's just terrible at it for a wide variety of reasons mostly stemming from his own traumatic childhood. At the end of the day he's always trying to do right by his sons, even if his own ego and shortcomings often get in the way.

I think that's more a case of normalfags being oblivious to both the Venture Brother's existence and it's quality.

In a vacuum where someone is exposed to both shows equally, it's pretty easy to come to the conclusion that Venture Brothers is generally a higher quality show from a production standpoint. The art direction, animation, voice acting, general competence of an average script, etc. All top notch for the kind of show it is.

Where as Rick and Morty comes across like a bad Family Guy clone in the visuals department, with it's humor being the only real redeeming quality that sets it apart as something unique. (That style of humor being divisive and subjectively awful to some people, that's a whole different debate.)

As far as we know, Rick is an asshole by his own volition, mostly to push people away as he takes down an intergalactic government. Doc is an asshole because he had a shitty childhood adventuring with a neglecting parent.
Also Venture is more selfless, he is willing to sacrifice himself for his kids. Rick did 'sacrifice' himself to be imprisoned, but as far as he know, he did that because he already had a plan to take the Galactic Federation from the inside. We don't know if he would have been willing to save his family if he knew it meant the Federation wins at the end.

The only similar shitty thing they do is that Rick doesn't think twice to leave his daughter and grand-daughter in a doomed dimension and get other family from another dimension. While Doc didn't care at the start if his kids died while on an adventure because he had many clones of them. I guess it's up to you which one is more fucked up

ALSO rusty had to go on a months-long soulsearching quest to deal with the twins' deaths at the end of season 1, despite it not being the first time either of them had died

None of that shit matters. Not only are shitty art styles becoming the norm, but for the type of show R&M is, it actually fits. The vast majority of people who watch it will likely say that they like it better than something "too detailed" like VB. It's not like they're oblivious to its existence either. It airs on the same exact channel and block as R&M. At the very least they would have seen commercials for it.

your statement was so edgy it gave me lasik

The only difference is that Rusty's cloning experiments were done out a misplaced sense of love for his boys. "When your kids are prone to sudden death, you keep a few extra bodies in the fridge. They're effectively the same people after all."

Deep down he knows that it's fucked up though, see

everybodies freeeeeeee to feel good

>both genius scientists

so I guess you haven't actually watched Venture Brothers

Venture Brothers very rarely gets new episodes, and it also almost never gets reruns on Adult Swim's TV channel. It's also important to note that it's release schedule has never ever lined up with Rick and Morty's.

It's totally not improbable that a casual normalfag turning into Adult Swim for Rick and Morty exclusively might have no idea that the Venture Brother's even exists.

Especially when you consider how obtuse the show probably comes across for the few casual veiwers who happened to catch a random episode, who probably dismissed it on the notion that they didn't "get" it.

what the fuck
they have totally different arcs, purposes in their shows, and are treated different by those around them

>The art direction, animation, voice acting, general competence of an average script, etc. All top notch for the kind of show it is.

There are parts of R&M that are good animation wise, the Goodbye Moonmen, any chase scene for example, but it does piss me off that the designs are so lifeless. I don't know how to explain it but compared to other adult animation, say Bob's Burgers. I find them easier to look at them just standing there and talking compared to the scenes where Rick is just complaining about something to other characters. And I don't mean the eyes, just everything about the characters designwise is boring, even the wacky characters from the lich episode are just okay for filling the screen. I think it might be their limited expressions, or how every human but Morty has the same face.

Well you are just a contrarian who hates things because they are popular

Rusty doesnt have his son in law always trying to tear his family apart

Hating things that you wouldn't normally like or care about but keep getting shoved in your face because of their popularity is understandable though.

nobody forces ya to open these threads

No, you are a contrarian. End of story.
Everyone loves Rick and Morty except butthurt contrarians. That's the truth

I'm not the same user even. I just know what it's like when something you hate and do everything you can to avoid is popular enough that it's not possible to avoid it.

Thing is, Rick's made out to be the cool guy, and any "depth" he has is superficial. Rusty's well written, and kind of a doof.

Will Rusty ever live a content life. I just wanna see him succeed and be appreciated by his peers for once. After all of the shit he went through with his dad, who was probably the worst parent a child could have, it would be fitting to see him overcome his past and focus on the boys.

But still, teleporting the Citadel into a galactic federation triple max prison was kind of OTT. Not to mention the gaggle of prisoners that escaped out of the same cell block he was in were among the worst of the worst.

Rusty is just a more intelligent Morty. Mostly getting by on what his Rick left behind. He can think up some new and advance stuff on his own. Though it is usually only weapons or super villain type stuff.

He works on being a better father at least. Bit going to the opposite extreme at times.

Rusty will never be happy until he ditches his fear of success and goes full super villain.

Did you learn nothing from the Dr. Killinger episode?

He's much more like Frankenstien from FrankenHole.
>Both are narcissist
>Both are loners that hate people
>Most adventures revolve around basic tropes that end with fucked up shit that either causes them to be traumatized or worse off
Seriously, anyone remember this? Made by the same guy who did Moral Orel?

he is on the low end of rick a ways down I might say, he is a shamster.
good at assembly is not inventing he never invents , he assembles other objects into a contraption .
a high end rick invent new stuff out of elements.

I remember Hitler trying to not hate Jews. Pretty funny actually

I remember that one, it kinda threw me off at first that they had Jonny Quest in there when the Venture family was already a Jonny Quest parody.

I never got the idea Rusty was any kind of a genius. He just happens to have a lot of his fathers super science toys all over the house to play with.

Name one successful invention that Rusty has. It's like he hasn't created anything useful since the OOOOOOOH RAY in the pilot.

He has his moments, like when he designed the shield that protected Gargantua 2 or figured out how to use an orphan's heart to power his "joy can".

the clones of his sons

Didn't he create a walking eye? Not that it's exactly an invention.

He has his moments, like when he designed the shield that protected Gargantua 2 or figured out how to use an orphan's heart to power his "joy can".

Biology and genetics seem to be his forte. He had success with his sons' clones, Venturestein, and cobbling that senator back together when they were in the jungle. He just keeps trying to succeed in every other branch of science because that's what his dad did.

>rusty is literally constantly haunted mentally by the fact that he couldnt save his sons from their many deaths

Is he? I've only seen up to the episode where he and Brock are laughing and reminiscing over all their deaths. Seemed incredibly callous.

Rusty does actually care for his children. Hank and Dean seem well adjusted, unlike Morty who's a few rage fests away from becoming a full blown school shooter.

The difference is that Rusty is actually a well fleshed out character.

That's because Rusty is written like a real life person while Rick spouting pop culture references and breaking the forth wall making him a pop scientist.

What was with that? Did Killinger fail to convert him or was it all part of an elaborate scheme to put him on the straight and narrow?

Yea except Rusty's ego and hedonism are why he's miserable. Rick is arguably even more despicable, but frequently suffers no consequences for his actions because he's Roiland's self insert

Absolutely nothing about Ricks character makes sense. They play him as a misunderstood genius but he's mostly just acting like an overgrown fratboy. Which is fine as long as the show's trying to be funny, where it falls flat on its face is when it's attempting to play anything for genuine drama.

>doesn't actually care about the wellbeing of their children
I thought the sole redeeming feature of Rick was that he'd crawl on glass for Morty.

He keeps that shit under lock and key mentally, the only reason we know that it actually bothers him like crazy is because Orpheus went into his head once.