Is there any reason to get into animation as a profession if you can't go to California/CalArts?

Is there any reason to get into animation as a profession if you can't go to California/CalArts?

Because you're passionate about it

Be the change you want to see in the world, user.

>Is there any reason to get into animation as a profession
none at all, my man

Sheridan

Can't go to Calarts?

Doesn't matter. I see more people from SVA than Calarts.

Can't got to California? Now that's a bit trickier. There are animation studios scattered around the country, but for the most part they're the only game in town, so you don't have that density of employment opportunity that you do in Los Angeles.

Television and even youtube is dying, upload your shit online and grow your own following.

for fun, maybe, but good luck making a decent living off of it.

This is correct. There's actually a lot of variety of school graduates in the industry. But the one connection: 85% of them are in California. A good 10% are in New York, and the rest are scattered about small studios in the country like Texas.

I think there's an animation college up in Denver, is there anything up there worth talking about?

My first degree was in animation. Note that I am implying I had to get a second one.
Don't make the same mistake I did user.

>tfw even though I'm in debt, I greatly benefited from college and my skill drastically improve as a result

I see a lot of already good artists shit all over college and almost feel a bit bad that I needed teachers to help improve my work.

Different strokes for different folks.

Rebecca Sugar and a lot of the SU crew didn't go to CalArts surprisingly enough.

You can make it it's just not easy. You have to work twice as hard because you're either supplementing a shittier college course or teaching yourself all together.

If you're okay doing commercial work Denver and NYC are the next best places. Georgia if you're looking to work for William street

Commercial work as in television commercials?

If you're talking about RMCAD, don't bother with it. For one the head of the school was recently replaced for a guy known for running diploma mills like Art Institutes.

For second, the school does it's best to dick you out of as much money as possible. You will have a hell of a time NOT getting put into online classes (A friend of mine had tot ake life drawing online which just showed them videos. They could've done that for free already with youtube).

They also will do their best to not give you any of your major's classes. In my 2 years there I had ONE animation class despite trying to work with a counselor to reschedule many times. It's set up specifically so you can't take those classes until you spend $10,000 on fundamental classes.

My animation class btw fundamentals was so bad many students complained and the teacher had to go through a disciplinary hearing. He just showed us videos the whole term and worked on his own work in the back of the room. I never felt comfortable asking questions or for help because I felt I was bothering him
He also told me my animations were good in class on the rare occasion he did walk around and check, but would grade them with a shitload of criticisms, things i could've fixed in class.

You're better off using /ic/'s animation thread when it's up than going to RMCAD.

If there's another animation school in Denver I don't know about for the love of god tell me.

Work in advertising my man.
Studio work is overrated

I think University of Colorado has an animation program

I benefited too to a point, but at some point you should be able to do a lot of it without guidance and basing it on online criticisms and such. Practice makes better.
Yes. There's also a lot of gaming studios in Denver surprisingly if you learn 3D animation.

If you want the easiest time finding a job a basics in 3D is recommended btw but I personally only do 2D since i'm into pre-production stuff

Nope. I went to double check because I wasn't positive after you brought it up. They have the most basic of art classes. None of the 4 campuses have animation.

They have one in 3d animation under the fine arts degree, but not sure that's what you're looking for.

That's a pretty narrow program. I'd rather learn it myself since it's a little easier to learn anyway just more time intensive.

My cc has really basic classes on 3D modeling and animation. I remember taking some in the summer as a high school kid. Now I'm thinking of persuing 3D animation or video editing cuz they seem kind of neat but sitting in a desk in front of a computer, although a heck of a lot better than working labor, sounds like it might suck my soul out.
Is there any creative working jobs thats aren't all sitting and glowing screens or is that what my lifes gunna be.

That's fair. Honestly I went to UCCS for a semester and wasn't super impressed. The campus is also *super* liberal, like legitimately SJW bookshelf in the hallways liberal.

Advertising work has incredibly short deadlines, limited resources, and nearly all people commissioning studios to do work don't know anything about the animation process so you have to consistently hold their hand during meetings to explain work in progress stuff.

Kind of an odd question for anyone working in 3D animation. Do you get told when to take your breaks and lunches or is it up to you to be responsible of when to take them? Also do you have a lot of time to yourself to work on the projects or is there a supervisor constantly managing you guys?

I'm thinking of persuing this carreer and I currently work in a bakery and the one thing I really enjoy is all the alone time. My boss isint constantly supervising me because she knows I know what my responsibilities are unless something comes up. After all the odd jobs I've had I consider this to be the ideal working conditions.

Currently in LA myself, working at a small animation studio. I keep my eyes open for anything in Atlanta, since I'd like to be closer to my family in Florida, and... Southern California doesn't really agree with me.

Live-Action is HUGE in ATL now, but animation has yet to follow suit. I wonder why? It would be away from the guild, so labor would be cheaper, there's those generous tax breaks Hollywood loves, and there should be a decent talent pool coming out of SCAD.

Well maybe some day. I've always liked Georgia.

I work in 2D animation, but basically you will be treated like an adult. That is, you can get up whenever you like, you can eat whenever you like, you can take a break whenever you like.

But like an adult, it will be your responsibility to make sure the work that's assigned to you gets done. No one will hold your hand on that.

You just love drawing and animation. You'll be lucky if you love it so hard you become Milt Kahl.

just make animation and put it on youtube

yeah, maybe I should just do graphic design

>Advertising work has incredibly short deadlines, limited resources, and nearly all people commissioning studios to do work don't know anything about the animation process
And that's different from TV cartoon work how?