Since end of evangelion came out 20 years ago today, lets post everytime a cartoon or comic made an evangelion refrence...

Since end of evangelion came out 20 years ago today, lets post everytime a cartoon or comic made an evangelion refrence, intentionally or not

>My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
>In the Season 5 premiere, a pony uses a stick clearly resembling the Spear of Longinus to strip ponies of their individuality to prevent heartache. Later that same season, in the episode "Scare Master," Fluttershy creates cardboard cutouts of several anime characters as ponies, including Rei Ayanami.

Just getting that one out of the way

>cardboard cutouts of several anime characters as ponies, including Rei Ayanami
So, Maud Pie then

20 years, eh? Damn I feel old.

whelp, looks like I'm going to pop in my copy of EoE and watch it today.

Required memes:
Get in the fucking robot
Kaworu died for our sins

Pic related.

Fuck off back to /m/. EoE was trash, Anno only made it as an F U to the fans.

I marathoned Evangelion in one session last Winter, and it was really good! And knowing nothing else about it, the ending was obviously weird - Then, I saw there was this list of movies with some being cannon and some not; and retro-fitting stuff into the anime proper, that I got too overwhelmed and just started on Cowboy Bebop instead. I want to go back at some point, but I'm still a little worried it'll all get to confusing. My favorite episode was the Power Outage one.

Thinking back, I think that was the last good week. Had a week off work, watched through all of FLCL, Evangelion, and Cowboy Bebop. It was a comfy time. I miss that couch..

The only stuff I see used frequently in Sup Forums media is 'Congratulations.' I know that Envy Adams was inspired by Asuka, since O'Malley is a total weeb. There's obvious a lot more reference in other anime though, like Shinji's dad's glasses stare - My favorite reference is probably in Watamote when Tomoko drinks her coke just like Asuka did, nearly frame for frame.

Is there any reason Evangelion got so big in Japan? I can't seem to think of why it's so encapsulating to them over there. Like, is there any cartoon over here like that?

Power outage one was directed by Miyazaki and had a difference artstyle more in line with the Ghibli house style which as cool.

how is this a reference again?

Misato is my waifu!, best pedo ever!

you sure it's not actually a optimus reference?

Reference to all the mecha genre, not just EVA.

No it's a Dio reference!

optimus: wryyyyyy!!!

Everyone jerks off Evangelion but I'm not a weeb, is it good?

"Tanker throw" may as well be a trope like Cluster Missiles.

It was one of the first animations to have not only heavy Christian references (not analogous references, despite what entry-level fans screech) which the Japanese think is cool, but it also started the trend of "2deep4u" script bullshit that has plagued the community since then. Nearly everyone who has sunk time into studying NGE has come to the conclusion that it was simply lightning in a bottle, where it hit every note correctly in a way that the majority of critics are noted contrarians. It's simply something that just cannot be repeated. Granted, there are some shows that have reached high popularity -- from Doraemon to One Piece -- but those are viewed more as "kid friendly", whereas NGE was the product of severe depression and suicide attempts.

I still don't get why she did that. my guess is she wanted to make him fight for something or stop being stuck inside his head. but then again she might be a p e d o and secretly wanted to do that to him a ll along.?

This isn't youtube or twitch sir, if you can't bother to say weeaboo, you're probably part of the problem.
While Gundam, Kamen Rider, and such had the human condition and drama beforehand, Evangelion was the first to make it grounded and about the hidden wounds of conflict and teenage angst.
Sure Amuro was troubled and conflcited, but ey, he's a regular cadet and becomes the big dick hero. And has someone always on his side.

Shinji gets the literal and mental boot if he gets an ounce of confidence of himself and has no proper parent to look up to. With the kids being either dumber or just as fucked up as him.