Is Western Animation finally taking over?

Is Western Animation finally taking over?

>Castlevania confirmed 11/10
>Samurai Jack was Animated kino
>DevilMan looks amazing
>Moeshit has confirmed that 99% of Japanese anime is shit starring teenagers in a school setting, no matter the genre

>DevilMan

isn't that made by Japanese Studio Polygon Pictures?

America and Japan have always had a back and forth of taking inspiration from each other's animation styles. If you think that we're starting to see a shift come back into the western side, then I hope you're right.

Wow man, 3 cartoons.
>Using kino unironicaly
Kill yourself Sup Forums

Castlevania completely inspired by anime, right down to the cheap, shoddy "animation" used in everything but a few fight scenes.
Devilman is literally an anime character.
Samurai Jack was trash for nostalgia babbys.

kino is a patrician word

please go back to plebbit

i want to point you also forget Voltron and Trollhunters as a pretty good action cartoons.

But if you look back you can realise this is by netflix standars more than American

>DevilMan
In what demented world is this "western"?
>based on a Japanese comic
>made in Japan for Japanese audience
>directed by a Japanese man
>written by a Japanese man
?????

>>Moeshit has confirmed that 99% of Japanese anime is shit starring teenagers in a school setting, no matter the genre
Isn't this the same of american cartoons? SU, Star, TTGO, AT, and Gravity Falls are all about that same age range of kids

>Moeshit has confirmed that 99% of Japanese anime is shit starring teenagers in a school setting, no matter the genre
Current season:
>36 full length anime series premiering
>12 TV shorts premiering
>8 2 cour shows carrying over from last season
A total of 56 anime have new episodes premiering on TV every week right now.

Out of those, ~22 have a school setting of some kind.

You couldn't even manage to watch every anime without a school setting this season even if you wanted to, there's simply too many.

Fact is you probably just don't like anime in general and use "moeshit" as an excuse to not watch any.

Devilman Crybaby is by Masaaki Yuasa and his studio Science Saru. Wouldn't actually say that is Western.

The highscool setting in anime is the same as the highschool setting in American teen TV (aimed at teenagers), only by a an undefined factor because adult working life in Japan is true terror and the otaku with disposable income for late night anime look back with rose tinted glassed on their teen years or have uniform fetishes. Late night anime is its own ecosystem really.
Which is why streaming services make room for more varied content outside of terrible light novel adaptations.

If you aren't a multi studio coop like Ultra Super Pictures that can negotiate rights for many different studios. Which is how for example Hiroyuki Imahishi have worked for both Titmouse, Zansigen and Disney.

The popular saturday morning toons are still Detective Conan, Pretty Cure, One Piece, Crayon Chin Chan, etc.

I think the current TV Tokyo saturday morning animation ratings are: One Piece, Pretty Cure and newcomer My Hero Academia. Which is basically Spiderman goes to Xaviers School For Gifted Youngsters and becoming mentored by Superman.

Oh yeah, new Avengers anime this season and a proper one this time. Three kids with superpowers want to be mentored by the Avengers.

I agree with you on everything but this
>You couldn't even manage to watch every anime without a school setting this season even if you wanted to, there's simply too many.

Clearly you've never met someone who literally gets NEETbux from the government

HAHAHAHA
Western Animation beating Japan? yeah good one

Do you have a single fact to back any of this up?

anichart.net

Checked it and you're downright lying you filthy weeb loser

Right off the bat, I notice you've marked New Game and Sakura Quest, both of which are about young professionals in the work world, not a school setting

Why would you just copy and paste the same size star? It'd be much easier and looks better.

Kino is a shitty stale Sup Forums meme

>DevilMan
>Western

Put it under Moeshit then you filthy weeb.

Still though, you're way off with your "22~" figure, it's literally well over 80% with that pathetic loser setting with over 95% having a huge focus on moeshit and waifu bait

You literally marked fujobait that takes place outside of a school setting on your list. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Not an argument.

You threw an arbitrary figure of 22 which is waaaay off the actual count.

It's over double that you degenerate loser weeb.

I'm not that guy, but I'll go actually count them, and he'll probably be right.

>Samurai Jack was Animated kino

>Not that guy

Sure m8, sure.

Just go through the list I made and tell me the ones I got wrong.

It's literally double the bullshit number he gave

I don't know why you're being such an autist, but ok.

You got eight wrong, and were counting OVAS and movies which were not in the original 22 he was counting.

>Castlevania confirmed 11/10

We'll see. I was unimpressed with it's rabid anti-clericalism but season 2 might get better.

>Samurai Jack was animated shit
ftfy

You forgot New Game! and Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni, the former taking place after high school and the latter not even taking place on earth

wait... there's a new devilman?

Shit, I did. I even mentioned New Game the first time. Anyway, this guy's an idiot

Directed by Yuasa, no less.

>Nora to Oujo to Noraneko Heart
>Skirt no Naka wa Kedamono Deshita.
>Hell girl
>Hitorijime My Hero

>"Not a school setting"

Nice try you weeb faggot

You're right, I fucked up on Hitorijime and Nora, but Hell Girl is episodic and doesn't have a specific setting other than "modern day japan" and Skirt is College Life. I guess you could call that a school setting if you're really determined too, although they function completely differently as settings.

Also, as previously noted, I missed two, so you still got eight wrong, and were counting two categories that weren't in the original 22

still relying on pictures? because it seems like that's what you did the first time around and that obviously didn't work

I'm just wondering who will make the Kingdom Hearts movie/TV show/OVA/limited series.

>Hey let's make a TV show
>Nah Disney isn't feeling the crossover TV stuff
>Hey let's make a move
>Nah Square doesn't think it'll work as a movie

One of these sides has to give eventually.

>DevilMan looks amazing
But devilman is japanese production.

Then why is ballroom there? That aint moeshit at all

>Shitposting is saving Sup Forums

>Trollhunters
hell yeah

>Samurai Jack was trash for nostalgia babbys.
That ripped off anime for its finale.

another weeb thread

Moeshit is a meme.

Kingdom Hearts's plot is pretentious garbage. who wants to watch that shit?

Science Saru, actually.

You might recognize them from that one Japanese-animated episode of Adventure Time.

me

>it's another Sup Forums is insecure about anime thread

But the new Jack was hot garbage other than the first 3 episodes.

This wouldn't happen if Sup Forums actually bothered to watch more international cartoons.

Uhhh...

>Castlevania is a 5/10 at best, your better off watching Rick & Morty.
>Castlevania is ditched to a Korean studio.
>Samurai Jack is still a embarrassment as the paper mache style will always be represented by South Park and nobody wants that.
>DevilMan is still 100% Japanese and nobody asked for it.
>Animaniacs season 6 will like to have a word with you.
No they are not, they make Tex Avery turn in his grave.
99% of that episode was still done by Korean studios as it's clear as crystal day that nobody at the studio cared about doing outsourced work, it's why Pierrot's episodes of Korra looks so shoddy (but instead of Korean studios it's C & D rate Japanese studios like Magic Bus (AKA the Japanese Akom) & Actas) and in the end you would of been better off ditching it to Rough Draft.

Fixed and more PC.

>DevilMan looks amazing
I'm mad you actually tried to use Devilman as part of your troll attempt but I'll humor you and let you know that's still a regular anime just being sponsored by Netflix like Knights of Sidonia.

So you have 2 cartoons, one of which literally is over vs. the rest of an industry of lolsorandomcartoons

Anime has become far more influential. Castlevania itself was patterned so much after it that many people think it actually is anime. Avatar was based on anime. Voltron was originally an anime. Wakfu is based on anime. Animation in Asia is taking after anime. There is twice the number of TV anime being produced now than American shows. Anime movies are beating American movies at the Japanese box office every year except for Frozen (which Your Name was or is only a hair's breadth away from overtaking).

Moeshit doesn't exist, and your own comment shows why: it has no consistent meaning. Everyone just thinks they're talking about the same thing because they're using the same word.

Anime hasn't been influenced by American animation since the 1950s or 1960s. And yes I know you are going to cite PSG as the exception that proves me wrong, but it's a single show out of thousands and not fundamentally different from other anime.

Anime has the best animation in the world. Don't try to blame it on whatever problems Castlevania had.

Most of the shows you highlighted either don't take place in high school at all or have barely anything to do with it.

Yet another example of how moeshit doesn't mean anything.

Waifubait doesn't exist either.

PSG is a insult to the industry as showcased here.

How many comics get series and movie adaptions PER year again compared to mangas?

>Yet another example of how moeshit doesn't mean anything.
>Waifubait doesn't exist either.

Both do, and pic related shows the things I think marks them. The non-existent noses, the lack of any kind of depth in the face, no shading, just a blank slate, apart from some pink puffy cheeks. We had cute girls in previous decades, but none so simplified as today.

>quantity over quality

Wow, I'm convinced, you're so right.

I just explained why it doesn't mean anything.

People call things bait when they don't like them and when they project their dislike of that thing onto the creators. They also don't understand what a waifu is in the first place.

Certain kinds of character designs do not qualify as waifubait either. That doesn't even make sense. It indicates a lack of understanding of what a waifu is.

trollhunters would be just perfect in 2D
they could do it penn zero style and it'd be perfect

> 1 show every 5 years means it's a gem
Vs
> 100 shows and 30 movies from ALREADY established mangas theatre known to be at least good
Your argument only works if the shows didn't already have an established base

Neither industry is centrally managed. There is no board deciding whether to focus on quality or quantity.

>Samurai Jack
It was a poorly paced, poorly plotted piece of fanfiction from the creator himself.

Kino my ass.

>It was a poorly paced, poorly plotted piece of fanfiction from the creator himself.

You just described anime with this.

The school settings are there because japanese women are expected to be housewives at 25 whereas american strong independent women will only consider reproduction after 40.

me

Average marriage age has been pushed back in Japan too, and there is less of an expectation of women becoming housewives than in the past. The popularity of the high school setting has nothing to do with this anyway.

It's about trying to write characters that the viewers/readers find plausible and attractive. Conversely it's impossible to write a relatable american female character who didn't do at least the college football team every week.

I blame weak American men for not providing enough incentive

I don't care for anime in the first place.

I don't know if this is the infamous ironic weeb but
>Anime has the best animation in the world.
makes me think it's an unironic weeb since that is literally the furthest from the truth.

Would help if you posted proof to your counter argument

you made the claim m8. time to prove it.

Have you considered that maybe the reason why western animation blows ass compared to anime is because the asian market is just fucking huge compared to the western market?

Like, you realize that they dont just make anime for japs, right? That shit is spread all over asian TV. Even asian webcomics have animated trailers these days, look up the webtoons stuff.

Maybe it's just that there's physically more people involved in anime than there are people involved in western animation? ESPECIALLY considering americans have a weird standard of having all their entertainment be centralized around hollywood, but also outsource all their VFX including animation to other countries?

The real animated Kino will be saving anime this fall though.

I'm not that user though so I don't.

I don't remember Trigger announcing that

wrong show, friend, let me fix that for you

It's not like every anime character is in high school. Shirobako, Sakura Quest and New Game for example are about adult women. Kemono Friends is about animal girls which have no equivalent in the real world.

I detest ironic weebs, so I guess I'm not the infamous ironic weeb.

It literally isn't the furthest from the truth. There is no animation industry in the world better than the Japanese one. We don't live in a world of equal outcomes or a world where America just happens to be the best at everything regardless of actual merit.

Overseas sales were significant from 2002 to 2008, evidently because of the American anime boom. After that bubble popped, overseas sales were small from 2009 to 2014. Now they've increased significantly because of streaming, but I don't know how big of a percentage Asia is compared to America/the West. But even if overseas sales crashed again, the industry would just keep going. It's not reliant on them and didn't become what it is because of them.

American animation likely has even more global reach than anime, and the US population alone is twice as big as Japan's. They also have significantly larger budgets.

and I'm their tag team partner!

Fucking cancer that nobody talked about after it finished

I blame netflix

you know nothing

i'm just really in it for the incest, been needing a fix ever since oreimo and/or eromanga ended

You're right about overseas sales, but again, it seems like its just from a western perspective. Anime airs all over asia, man, there's more people in that one specific spot of asia than there are on the rest of the planet. Japanese culture gels a little better over there than in the west, not perfectly, but its culturally relevant, there's tons of chinese people who watch anime.

That said, yes, there's a huge otaku market, but it's comparable to the capeshit market made up of a bunch of old boomers with expendable income. They've started to have problems because a lot of those fans have been dying prematurely, so they're pushing for younger teen audiences. It's why shonen canceled a load of old series in favor of brand new ones, and as far as stuff like my hero academia is concerned, that's where the money is.

American animation is bloated, only a handful of studios have that kind of reach while the rest are fairly national only. Canadian animation actually has a much wider reach cause of france and, by proxy, africa, and by further proxy, specific spots in south america. America has a larger population, but there's explicitly more animators working in japan than in america because america literally does not hire animators in house most of the time, and those that do usually use very cheap puppet rig animation like rick and morty or bob's burgers, or the first season of star vs. It's a very big problem because animation is experiencing brain leak where anyone who knows how to animate just has to go work in other countries if they cant work at the one or two giga studios.

Larger budgets are kind of the problem, the entire reason shit is outsourced is because animators get paid too much as it is for work that honestly isnt worth that much money (and I say this as an animator), and add on top of that the mess that is the voice acting industry and how much the budget usually goes to marketing, it's killing the breathing room to make animation at all.

>fucking cancer
This is a meme. It's a completely harmless show with moderately successful disc sales. People are getting mad at it for no reason.

>and nobody asked for it.
Nobody asked for more DevilMan? Or is there something about this DevilMan that makes it bad, I haven't heard about it

It doesn't tell a story
Has no plot
Feeds waifu threads
No actual discussions occur upon airing of episodes
Feeding the shit posting as 100% of related threads are about oni this or oni that
Then there's the "on the front page spam"

Western animation is in ascendancy, and Japan is in stagnation and decay

>To beat Anime we must become Anime

Yeah no fucking thanks.

>tfw you missed out on the nendoroid preorders

I was citing Japanese statistics that don't specify where the foreign sales are coming from. But looking further down the document, it's shown that the US licenses the same amount of anime as China, and North America and Europe combined are as big as Asia. So it's a 50/50 split.

>That said, yes, there's a huge otaku market, but it's comparable to the capeshit market made up of a bunch of old boomers with expendable income. They've started to have problems because a lot of those fans have been dying prematurely, so they're pushing for younger teen audiences
Anime is a very big and active industry, there's always new fans coming in, and the otaku of the 80s were young at the time too. Even the wave of new fans created by Evangelion are only in their thirties and forties now. There are fewer children now which affects daytime anime and just makes anime skew towards older audiences. The average person at Comiket is in their early thirties.

>SJ was animated kino
Only if you stopped watching after Ep 3.

It does tell a story, but it's not supposed to have a plot. Not everything needs to have a plot.

>Feeds waifu threads
>No actual discussions occur upon airing of episodes
The same applies to a million other anime. So what?

Oh, so that's why the industry's profits and popularity have been going up for several years now. Because of stagnation and decay.

>Castlevania completely inspired by anime, right down to the cheap, shoddy "animation" used in everything but a few fight scenes.

Truth, but when was the last time you saw a cool anime like that? Castlevania looked like an OVA from the 80s, it has flaws but it's still incredibly fun,

the Japs only know how to make cute little girls doing nothing or light novels about nerds without personality with a tragic past in fantasy world making a harem with an invincible power, the best anime That they manage to do recently are some pretentious 2deep4you dramas, That just only really works if you are a horny teenager or a weeaboo

Anime is dying

>I haven't actually watched any anime in the last five years: the post

And the on the front page spam and oni buy me ect ect ect?