Was this show too reliant on pop culture references?

Was this show too reliant on pop culture references?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FglXGIiSzYw
youtube.com/watch?v=fIqFcOT1aZU
youtube.com/watch?v=LJ2BgIPoRBc
youtube.com/watch?v=j8s7iveWvBs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes. I still like the show, but the references have aged horribly.

god yes, i still dont know who the fuck sheena easton is.

that and we only came to see the warners and got fucking chicken boo/hippos/pigeons/buttons and mindy/rita and rutt 99% of the goddamn time
slappy and her nephew were ok

>god yes, i still dont know who the fuck sheena easton is.
A one-hit wonder pop singer from the mid-'80s who played Sonny Crockett's second wife in 'Miami Vice' during its lackluster fourth season.

I know, you probably didn't care for an answer to this but whatever.

impressive googling....

most impressive

The references would have gone over the heads of the audience too, it was intentional. They were meant for the PARENTS.

which doesnt make sense if adults dont get them

>Was this show too reliant on pop culture references?
yes

What are some pcr that have aged well? (I'm actually asking seriously) Star Wars? Citizen Kane?

Could be worse
youtube.com/watch?v=FglXGIiSzYw

Anything based on presidents,hitler, star wars, conan and tropes. I do miss the spoofs though,this one missed the hype by a decade

youtube.com/watch?v=fIqFcOT1aZU

>which doesnt make sense if adults dont get them
Adults in the 90's user. Not adults almost 30 years later. Unless you're gonna cop to being 40-50

It was too reliant on expensive traditional animation when the number one kids show of the time was just reusing live action footage from a Japanese show and making a killing off of it.

?Adults in the 90's user
nop
i had no rightful reason to know who a lot of people were and i still learned a lot about them/remember them

>sheena easton?
indefensible
into the trash it goes

>this one missed the hype by a decade
so 2018? this was an '08 movie

As 2010-2020 hype train

It's aged a lot better than Tiny Toons, that's for sure.

Is it bad if something doesn't age well so long as it works in the time it aired in? It's a window into the past, which is a different type of quality than being ageless.

No
Still enjoyable

What fucking kid in 1994 knew who Kirk Douglas was?

See: every funny Looney Tunes voice.

Animaniacs relied on either outdated 90s references or outdated 1930s references to an era of animation it tried and failed to emulate.

Cartoons like The Simpsons hold up because the most memorable of gags came from the characters. You don't even have to get the pop culture parodies in The Simpsons for the joke to still work. You can still laugh your head off at "Itchy & Scratchy Land" without having to see Westworld (the movie) and Jurassic Park.

i think it depends on the media you're referencing. x files has had a long lasting impact that even prompted a recent reboot, but meanwhile later on simpsons makes an episode off a flash in the pan thing like pokemon go that died off before they even got the storyboards in. it also depends on if the jokes work well without needing to use the fact that they're references as a crutch.

The way to do it for the joke to work even if you don't get the reference.

FBI agent with a pinup photo of himself in his wallet - funny even if you don't know David Duchovny starred in an erotic TV show and played an FBI agent in another TV show

On the other hand, simply namedropping is not a joke.
"Is it time to make fun of people in Range Rovers?" is not a joke, it's JUST namedropping and/or a reference.

>You can teach an old dog new tricks, but you can't teach Madonna to act
What a timeless joke.

can't tell if serious

That one still holds up tho, although I doubt anyone will care in say 50 years' time.

>not knowing Sheena Easton from Planescape Torment
youtube.com/watch?v=LJ2BgIPoRBc
youtube.com/watch?v=j8s7iveWvBs

>funny even if you don't know David Duchovny starred in an erotic TV show
See, I did not know that. I just assumed the joke was a completely random bit of perversion, which was what made it funny. So even not getting the joke, it worked.

That's funny even if you don't get the references.

>that and we only came to see the warners and got fucking chicken boo/hippos/pigeons/buttons and mindy/rita and rutt 99% of the goddamn time
>slappy and her nephew were ok
I wish there were more than two Minerva Mink cartoons.

There's a difference between being set in its own time and being too referential. Half of South Park doesn't work because the references were so topical.

You don't know the Looney Tunes references (even though they were basically pastiches of existing media) but they are still funny.

>slappy and her nephew were ok

Nigga, their version of "Who's On First" is the only funny version since the original.