Punisher - The Platoon #4 Storytime

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UC9pc4U40sI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I've been watching that 17 hour long 'Nam documentary to prepare for this, let's go

>it ain't me intensifies

femdom scene here we go

I'm guessing she ends up fighting Frank in the last issue (the next one?) and that's where he gets a crash course in the guerrilla warfare he becomes so notorious for using himself years later

>cucking Designated Dave
Now suck Robin characterfags' dicks next.

Based Frank not being a degenerate and doing right by Maria.

>then I got drafted

Jason Aaron BTFO, in his MAX run there was a flashback where Frank had volunteered.

uh oh

fucking americans calling autumn "fall" for some reason

>defeated by a woman

absolutely rekt

second panel needs to be a reaction image for when someone is flipping their shit over something hopeless on here

wtf I hate americans now

youtube.com/watch?v=UC9pc4U40sI

coincidentally this just came on the autoplay

I remember reading about the My Lai massacre, one of the most infuriating parts was the American soldier who risked his life to stand in their way, evac civilians out of the area and reported it went home to have people sending him pigs hearts as death threats for being "a traitor" and the commanding officer who personally oversaw it happen only got three years of house arrest. Guys still alive. Oh and fucking Colin Powell of all people was one of the people trying to cover it up.

not just the men but the women and children too?

Thanks a bunch for the storytime, OP.

Fuck this bit is awesome.

Ly had... a hard life.

I wonder if Akira Yoshida can convince Ennis to do a follow up based on Frank's second tour/stint with the SASR

How does it compare to The 'Nam?

Stands at a decent middle ground between the all-out gritty brutality of Born and the more day-to-day focus of The 'Nam. Nothing overtly savage but not quite goofing around with Marks and pals. There was a scene in issue three where Frank negotiated replacing a bunch of rifles that really reminded me of some bits in The 'Nam. And Parlov is similar to Golden in that he does fantastic weaponry and gear and mixes it with cartoony characters to great effect.
The one gripe I'd have would be that it goes to the usual places in Vietnam stories, but the NVA subplot is a very welcome addition on that front. This issue in particular reminded me of that gorgeous Wayne Vansant issue about the Kit Carson scout in 'Nam vol 1.

Will Frank meet Fury or Barracuda?

>Fury
Not in this one, since they only first met during Castle's second tour. At most we'd get a reference to him from Giap.
>Barracuda
Timeline wise I think he's just a little kid right now, since american interventionism in Nicaragua only started in the early 80s, and Barracuda was young as shit back then. So unless 'Cuda is way older than he appears, odds are he didn't go to 'Nam. But it's been a while, so I might be wrong.

Bumping for reading.

They're like animals, and I slaughtered them like animals! I HATE THEM!

Barracuda was in a 'Nam flashback in Punisher MAX IIRC.

However, I'm pretty sure he was NOT in Vietnam before the end-ish period of the war, so realistically no way does he show up in this.

Closest I can remember was from his mini, and that was Santa Morricone, not 'Nam.

It was a younger Barracuda before he bulked up.

Ok, found these pages from Long, Cold Dark about Barracuda's first business trip abroad.

And I dunno, jungle huts, brown people, whoring and cocaine smuggling, I feel like that's more Colombia/Nicaragua than 'Nam. And Frank did remark a couple of times that Barracuda was younger than him. So I think 'Cuda missed 'Nam, but I haven't combed his first arc yet.

>SF vs Marines
As someone professionally dealing with Vietnam War history, I'm enjoying this quite a bit.

Anyone got the previous comics? This seems pretty good, and I don't read a lot of Punisher comics.

The massacre was stopped only after two helicopters intervened, blocking way to civilians and pointing guns at american infantry.

>But I have ordered worse
Uh oh.

Nice cover.

>Oh and fucking Colin Powell of all people was one of the people trying to cover it up.

Doesn't that just make your heart swell out of patriotic pride?

Jason Aaron's MAX is GARBAGE.

>the cigarette in his ear

I don't think I've ever seen Ennis comment on it, but this ignoring stuff established in it (how Frank joined the war, his first kill, etc.) probably says something.

I don't see any reason anyone would even assume Ennis gave two fucks about anyone else's canon beyond what he himself has established.

I think this might be on par with Born. If not for the final issue of Born it'd probably already be equal. Overall it's in the same ballpark, and we've still got 2 issues left to go.

I enjoyed it as a stand alone story, but as an ending to Punisher MAX it's total horseshit. Valley Forge, Valley Forge is the only "ending" to the series I'd consider canon.

Best release this month.

>So I think 'Cuda missed 'Nam
He unambiguously did. Barracuda is never presented as anything other than a product of the '80s narco wars. Blame Reagan if you like.

If I remember correctly, Ennis already said he'd like to do it. It's all in the samurai's hands now.

Pulling in Kingping and Bullseye WHEN Ennis explicitly stated that they doesn't exsist in this world was an asshole move from Aaron. Making Kingpin the final boss in MAX was also the dumbest shit.

I doubt it. He met Fury in his second tour in Fury: My War Gone By. At this point, Barracuda is still a child being abused by his father.

Didn't Ennis have Frank studying to be a priest before going to war?

That would be awesome. Maybe we can get some Frank in 70s and 80s New York too?

>Frank in 70s and 80s New York
it'd be neat to see Ennis Frank's first Franking

A Punisher MAX: Year One from Ennis and Parlov would be a thing of beauty. Really, really dark beauty, just how Frank likes it.
But I'd would be also okay with an Old Man Frank, set in current year, with an even more aged Castle.

isnt Punisher MAX in light canon with 616? i remember them having refferences to past stories

I think so. Pretty sure Ennis's Marvel Knights run is canon to MAX, at the very least

Has an issue count been announced for this run? I'm curious how long it'll take to get the TPB.

Read the Tyger.

Frank's actual first franking, not Tiny Frank Adventures

I don't remeber any non-MAX books referencing it, except for one single entry in one of the Civil War handbooks. MAX has like one supporting character return from the MK-run, but aslo has many contradictory stuff with 616, like Micro biting the bullet in the first arc. Not to mention that Ennis even uses one character from Hitman, which it would also make it DC-canon. Anyways, MAX--Earth has it's own designated number in the Multiverse, so even if first it was supposed to be 616 canon, it hasn't been that in a long time.

But the framing story is Frank's first offical Franking as The Punisher.

>Has an issue count been announced for this run?
6 issues

Which Hitman character?

obligatory continuity order for Ennis Max? if we go by timeline, wha should we read in order?

FBI Agent chick from the last arc.

The Platoon>My War Gone By>Born>The Tyger>The Cell>MAX>throw Barracuda in somewhere between Barracuda and Long Cold Dark>Rest of MAX>The End

Tyger-> Platoon->Fury Max: My War Gone By issue 7-9->Born-> MAX Ongoing->The Cell ->The End

why didnt ennis just used kingpin in max?

OH SHIT

He felt supervillains doesn't suit the gritty realism he was aiming for. No to mention, MAX was already choke-full of 'ordinary' criminals more being more vile and outright evil then you'd ever see in a capebook.

oh shit

>Kingpin
>supervillain

Yeah, the only endings to Ennis' Punisher I'd accept are Valley Forge, Valley Forge; or Punisher: The End. Aaron's Punisher is interesting but doesn't exactly mesh with Ennis' Punisher.

The good news is that Aaron made some errors in there (like for instance Castle's birth year) so you can definitely consider Aaron's run an alternate universe. Besides, Marvel considers Aaron's run to take place on a world where Wolverine MAX happened and I don't believe Ennis would've done that.

These are close:

But there's some things I'd have to change. It's a long list.

The Cell comes before the ongoing

Really? I've always assumed it was a prequel to The End.

But there's more than that. Here's the full timeline as I can figure it out:

>Fury: Peacemaker
Ennis' take on what Fury was like during WWII.
>Fury: My War Gone By #1-3
Takes place in 1954.
>Punisher: The Tyger (flashback parts)
Takes place in 1960 when Castle was 10. Ennis believes that Punisher was born in 1950 and almost got that put on the cover of a different MAX issue, but Marvel covered it. It's up to you to decide if you want to read this first because there's different time periods in this issue.
>Fury: My War Gone By #4-6
1961; Fury and crew try to assassinate Castro and fail.
>The Platoon
During Castle's first tour of Vietnam
>Fury: My War Gone By #7-9
Castle and Fury in Vietnam
>Born
Castle's final tour in Vietnam
>The Tyger ("present day" scenes)
As Castle's about to kill people, he says the Tyger incident happened 16 years ago so the "present" in this comic is 1976. Note there's also scenes of Castle in Vietnam so those obvious took place earlier.
>Fury: My War Gone By #10-12
I think this takes place in the 80's. This involves Barracuda and Nicaragua.

>Punisher: The Cell
This takes place somewhere between 1992 and 2004 (before the first issue of Punisher MAX) because in the first MAX issue, he said everyone involved with causing his family's deaths are now dead.
>Fury: My War Gone By #13
Takes place in the late 1990's, I think.
>Fury 2001 miniseries
Not exactly sure where to place this, but Ennis wrote it and it'd explain why he's trying to get back control of SHIELD. Likely takes place before 9/11 though.
>Some Ennis Marvel Knights Punisher stories
I wasn't going to include this, but MK Punisher introduced Yorkie and Jennifer Cooke, and the Slavers arc makes a reference back to the MK arc Cooke was in. Skip anything that had a superhero in it since no superheroes are supposed to exist in the MAX world.
>Ennis' Punisher MAX run (and Barracuda miniseries)
Self-explanatory. Barracuda mini takes place between the Punisher Barracuda arc and Long Cold Dark as said.
>Punisher: The End
If you want the depressing ending.

it's certainly
>implied
by the ending, but it's about him killing his family's killers,and In the Beginning has him saying everyone involved with his family's deaths are dead. And the Godfather guy arrested in 1992 and it implies that he hasn't been in there that long when Frank shows up.

I thought that at first until I read it and the MAX series again. Here's the scene in MAX #1 where he said everyone involved with his family's death was dead. So the Cell has to take place before the MAX series.

Oh yeah the specific Marvel Knights Punisher arc that The Slavers refers to is "Hidden," from Punisher MK ongoing #24-26.

Which ironically is probably one of the arcs that would fit the least in MAX.

Yeah, it's a really weird thing. But he calls back to it.