/swco/ - Star Wars Comics & Cartoons

Rogue One appreciation edition

>Upcoming Releases:
swbooks.net/updates/release-2017.htm

>Out This Week:
Jedi of the Republic: Mace Windu #5 (Wed 27)
Star Wars Adventures #5 (Wed 27)
The Last Jedi: Storms of Crait (Wed 27)

>Star Wars Rebels Season 4 Trailer 2
youtube.com/watch?v=JtigV-biVGg

>Rebels Recon: Rebel Assault
youtube.com/watch?v=zXt9ZmN-V-k

>Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Trailer
youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CbN8sfihY

>STAR WARS: Battlefront II – The Movie (2017)
youtube.com/watch?v=geqUtEjdREc

>Download links: (Check here for new Rebels Episodes + Books, Comics, Films, etc)
pastebin.com/nWsKtSya

>Star Wars: Forces of Destiny
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpSnlSGciSWNBXSxZZrsvWdnoGsLCr6WL

>Canon Guide:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t1KovH_1GYLDTAe3yrleeWiuzwulm670o_anQqr5Rcg/pubhtml

>Legends Recommendation List:
docs.google.com/document/d/147N5EgCnZmcPaDYvnGQwl9cn7BhBroFb7mD2C4cmWb0/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Pf-cg9W5fQY
youtube.com/watch?v=Qemb3iBlp1o
youtube.com/watch?v=_bglf5NuXWI
strawpoll.me/14704725
strawpoll.me/14704726
strawpoll.me/14704727
strawpoll.me/14704731
youtube.com/watch?v=UDvoYj2eVEw
youtube.com/watch?v=R-M3k7TqfDA
bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42492807
youtube.com/watch?v=VnPjx36sIrg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

As much as I liked TLJ, RO is still the best of the Disney SW films.

>master race

>RO is still the best of the Disney SW films.
LIES
DECEPTION

We /rebel/ now
youtube.com/watch?v=Pf-cg9W5fQY

our guy

Maybe if I watched RO again I'd gain more appreciation for it
But seeing it in theaters bored me to tears, and I really couldn't care about the main cast

The soundtrack was dynamite.
Best track: youtube.com/watch?v=Qemb3iBlp1o

I enjoyed it

Loved this one as well. You just knew shit was gonna go tits up when that started playing.
youtube.com/watch?v=_bglf5NuXWI

Watching a walkthough of the campaign since I ain't paying 60 bucks for a single player campaign. This story is boring as shit.

>>PEOPLE STILL ARGUING OVER LUKE IN TLJ
i think continued discussion is good, honestly.
Annoying as fuck but good.
He was based as fuck in TLJ, I dont care what anyone says.
I just hope his force ghost is in IX plenty

Galen pls come back

Here we go again:
>First up - we have the cute traitor Barriss Offee facing off against Jedi loli Ganodi
strawpoll.me/14704725
>For our next match up the strong bounty huntress Sugi takes on the clumsy Gungan farmer Peppi Bow
strawpoll.me/14704726
>Next up we have vicious bounty huntess Aurra Sing face off against "Stardust" Jyn Erso
strawpoll.me/14704727
>Lastly we have the cruel Phasma face off against the thicc thief, Cassie Cryar
strawpoll.me/14704731

Rogue One gives me strange feelings
Live in the west midlands
gf life-models for art classes occasionally
About a year before RO comes out, she says 'the girl from the stephen hawking movie' had come to the class
Watch RO in the cinema
All I can think about is how Jyn Erso had seen my girlfriend naked
huge, awkward boner all he way through
Still can't concentrate on movie any time I try to watch it

come on Oola

>strawpoll.me/14704727
Nice. It's appropriately Williams-y but different enough to feel fresh. Also got a soft spot for the ominous Jedha theme, esp from 1min5 in: youtube.com/watch?v=UDvoYj2eVEw

oops, greentexted waiful poll by mistake.

youtube.com/watch?v=R-M3k7TqfDA

Is the guy maintaining the canon MEGA here?
I have some stuff to contriboot

>only good for rancor bait desu senpai

I love it when we actually focus on the WARS aspect of Star Wars.

EXTENDED CUT WHEN?!

What star wars comics promintently feature a chistori? Bonus points if they are the protagonist

>crazy attempted child murderer hobo who doesn't give a fuck about his friends or the galaxy
>based

Pick one.

Nothing was based about TLJ Luke. He was just a loser.

So was ANH Luke and ESB luke

At least, he was young and later learned to be more mature.

>He was based as fuck in TLJ
My man. Punished 'Venom' Luke who has to work hard, overcome struggles and insecurities, and earn his moment of badassery in the end, will always be much more interesting than the untouchable paragon version many people wanted.

OT Luke was a hero who never gave up on his friends and his father despite his own mentors telling him Anakin was beyond saving.

ST Luke tried to murder his nephew in his sleep because executive fiat demanded a bad end.

>ST Luke tried to murder his nephew in his sleep because executive fiat demanded a bad end.
Wew lad, were you even paying attention

Learning never stops. Even for teachers. It was a good message.

Clearly not

What? Did we watch the same movie? Luke never tried too kill kylo

TLJfags get out. This is a Rogue One thread.

I have seen a recording of him... killing younglings
Or, at least, considering it for a second

>Or at least tried to
Oh I thought you were implying Luke tried to kill Kylo

giant saw head pls go

THIS
glad to see another user who gets it

>Learning never stops.

But it rarely needs repeating unless you're an idiot. This is like going through a second elongated emo phase in your 50s.

Honestly, I think people seriously misinterpret Kylo Ren’s role as a villain, and not in a “he’s so misunderstood” Draco in leather pants kind of way.

He’s fascinating because he’s one of the few fictional villains that has some stuff in common with some of the real men who do dangerous and deadly things– he’s posturing, he feels persecuted, he’s explosive and uncontrolled, when he tries to look like a cool villain and give off that glib/‘badass’ vibe, it feels forced and awkward, it’s easy to laugh at him, but then he does something incredibly evil and reminds you that pathetic wannabes can be really scary dudes, too. He reminds me of school shooters, domestic abusers, extremely vitriolic alt-right internet trolls.

He doesn’t represent some grand vision or evil master plan like Voldemort. It’s all about outwardly channeling his inner turmoil and rage into self-aggrandizement, getting control over other people because he can’t control himself. He has thoughts, feelings, weaknesses, and at least a little bit of good in him. That doesn’t make him a misunderstood hero. The fact that he’s human and three dimensional and has people who care about him is part of what makes him more like the real evil that walks among us every day in the world.

People are always saying, “Kylo Ren is such a pathetic villain, he’s a whiny emo trying to dress up like a cool bad guy,” but that is lampshaded IN-universe, that people think that’s lame, too, even Snoke. People keep thinking that Kylo was supposed to be a cool villain like Darth Vader and that the movies failed miserably in portraying him as one, but I don’t see how.

>has to work hard

At what? Subsistence living?

>overcome struggles and insecurities

When? He essentially just commits suicide like he always wanted, he went to the island to die and did.

>earn his moment of badassery in the end

When? How? He just turned his force back on and really didn't do anything badass since he was actually intangible the whole time.

Which one is then?

>He essentially just commits suicide like he always wanted
I see you fell asleep during the entire crait scene

Projecting yourself through the force the way he did isn't something we've seen in the movies at all. Showcasing a new force technique and saving what's left of the resistance is a pretty cool feat.

And it also plays into the whole "the force isnt just moving rocks" thing.

Hardly, it's suicide with a purpose in mind, but still suicide.

How is an illusion badass though? It's actually kind of cowardly. It's not like he actually saves the resistance either. He buys them some time but they themselves have to find a way out, and only Rey showing up and moving the rocks and getting them aboard the Falcon actually saves them.

You have to be a shitposter
So if a soldier saves his entire troop but ends up dead on a suicide run it was 'only suicide with a purpose, but still suicide' because he had nothing to lose and wanted to do one last good thing?

Gee, it's almost as though his buying them time and also telling his nephew to fuck off was part of a TEAM EFFORT to save the resistance

>So if a soldier saves his entire troop but ends up dead on a suicide run it was 'only suicide with a purpose, but still suicide'

No the point was he didn't actually overcome anything. His death was noble, but still what he wanted all along.
If a suicidal soldier commits suicide to save his squad then he never really overcame his suicidal impulse, he just put it to better use.

Okay, being a distraction is still not badass. He's not even really that, since there was no co-ordinated plan. Maybe Luke could have shown them to the back door, but no, they just have to find it themselves. It's more coincidence than team effort

>this entire post
yeah okay you got me bait-kun. Here's your last you

Making it more "real" has made the franchise a soapbox for some shitty divisive politics. Hold-the-door and Rey being the most obvious examples.

>B-b-bait

How about you just admit that Luke was not badass by any reasonable metric in TLJ?

Reminder not to reply to Sup Forumsourists

They can't. Their whole worldview is based on this. Once they admit it was shit, that entire worldview collapses.

So I've had more than a week to sit on the Last Jedi and it's still an "okay" film to me. I get hating on it for continuity and writing reasons, but why do both neckbeards and soyboys try to inject their politics into everything?

I mean, fuck, it's always "muh fascism" or "muh sjws" with these whiny cunts on both ends of the spectrum.

Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson purposely injected their politics into TLJ (and TFA) to an extent. Holda for example is based on Rian's girlfriend. And KK has been purposely pushing for greater female representation at the detriment of the franchise.

Leave SW to him.

It's an illusion across the galaxy that punked out the First Order completely. It's a new force technique we've never seen before (in the movies, IDK if it happened in the EU), and you know, he did create an actual physical object with those dice.

What else could they have done with him to have a cool moment? Have him flip around and kill shit like a cgi yoda? Woulda been retarded as fuck.

>It's b-bait
He made a good point and this is your response?

He is right that there was no team effort and that the resistance just got lucky by finding the way out or they would have been doomed regardless of Luke's "sacrifice".

Kathleen I get but Rian went on record and said he's actively avoiding politics in one interview. Makes me wish Rey was as cool as Jaina, though.

Luke overcoming his issues would really have been him deciding to live on, leave the island and train new Jedi.
Having him decide to just die without actually doing anything to ensure that there will be new Jedi really didn't bring his character anywhere.

Do you feel in charge?

something I am also very interested in.

Daily reminder that liking TFA and TLJ is accepting mediocrity and shitty writing.

I've seen the muh boogeyman videos and it's like these literal who slacktivists can't grasp that it's just a fucking movie.

How does he explain Holdo then? The entire fucking thing is a reversal from previous established norms (like in TCW) just to shill how the Rebellion is so feminist with stronk women leading us.

>The entire fucking thing is a reversal from previous established norms
Uh, what established norms did she reverse, exactly?

Mon Mothma was a thing, but she was handled much better in every way possible.

He had the Death Sentence in 12 Systems.
>bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42492807

>It's an illusion across the galaxy that punked out the First Order completely.

"Punking" isn't really a heroic maneuver though, Luke isn't portrayed as a trickster anywhere else.

>What else could they have done with him to have a cool moment?

Any number of things. The most basic of which would be to actually of have him there. We saw earlier on in the movie that water travelled along the Rey-Kylo force connection, so actually having Luke show up in the flesh was not out of bounds.
They could have had him actually save the Resistance as well, perhaps showing them the exit and holding the tunnel entrance from the First Order. until Kylo shows up and they can have an actually dramatic duel.

>Have him flip around and kill shit like a cgi yoda? Woulda been retarded as fuck.

Yeah, sassy Limbo Skywalker was much more tasteful.

Luke punked Jacen by projecting his image onto Jaina in one of the Legacy of the Force books.

Unquestioning obedience of orders and commanders telling people to stfu about any reservations was portrayed entirely in a negative light in the Krell Arc of TCW. And lead to the Clones arresting their commanding officer who turned out to be a Sith wannabe.

Also MM had no rank in the rebellion and was a political leader. While Holdo has an admiral rank,

And Leia was a general. Don't get me wrong, I have personal reasons for hating feminists, but I really think seeing them everywhere is kinda stressful.

Kyle sure does hate family reunions.

To be fair, Holdo was just a disposable character to set up Poe's role as a leader for Episode 9. I mean, they can't use Leia and her line to follow Poe kinda hinted at it.

Fair enough, but it's still a space adventure/action story that tries its best to undermine its own antagonists, and that's not only including Kylo Ren.

Disney's properties seem to be really afraid of antagonists who feel like credible obstacles, if Marvel villains are any indication. I can appreciate Kylo Ren's human qualities, but it's frustrating being unable to really get engrossed in the conflict when everyone in-universe and out just laughs at the bad guys like they're the bad guys from Spaceballs. I get that he's dangerous in the unhinged way, but then why portray him as a joke? I would like if the movie explored how dangerous he is more. That scene where he goes ballistic in the room with the officer from Force Awakens wasn't really shot to show how scary he is, it was shot for comedy.

Trust me, I "get it", I get the intent behind Kylo Ren, I just don't think it's quite as effective the way it's shot and structured.

It was less about unquestioning obedience and more about Poe not flying off the handle with his own shit every time.

>tfw you can now fight your dark side waifu in a shitty vr game
youtube.com/watch?v=VnPjx36sIrg

You know, one of the things I really like is Star Wars novels. Is there anything to expect for 2018? I really hope we get more than just tie-in novels.

>Trust me, I "get it", I get the intent behind Kylo Ren, I just don't think it's quite as effective the way it's shot and structured
I honestly don't and I think his character is poorly written.

The only thing he has going for him is that Adam is better actor than most of the new cast.

Apparently there is a Padme novel coming.

Just the next Zahn Thrawn novel so far.

Interesting. I hope it give some depth to her character.

Did the Last Jedi finally signal the end of this being a mainstream franchise?

I think it's YA though.

Is it Claudia Grey?

Sadly it was too good for the retarded masses, yes.

No idea. No info has been released on it.

I refuse to believe that is true.
The hyperspace scene?

It's barely doing better than Justice League.

LFL and Disney rightfully should be worried especially given how poorly it scores in overseas markets in the global south.

I don't get TLJ hate. What, did you want another JJ film where he gave all the answers and made it completely predictable? The only criticism I have is that Finn's mission was inconsequential. Even then it allowed for character growth that didn't exist in TFA. I don't have high hopes for JJ directing IX, but TLJ was excellent.

Yes. It's legit true, people on twitter replied to the article saying the same thing happened at their screenings.

>half the movie is pointless
>Luke is no longer in character, much as Han wasn't in TFA
>rose prevents a sacrifice which would have saved others
>holdo is literally the worst leader ever costing her people's lives for literally no reason
>PORGS!!!!

How much does Disney pay you?

>What, did you want another JJ film where he gave all the answers and made it completely predictable?

How about a good movie instead of either?