Anyone can be a great artist! You just need to practice doing the same thing over and over for exactly 10000 hours...

>Anyone can be a great artist! You just need to practice doing the same thing over and over for exactly 10000 hours, not a minute longer, guaranteed!

If you have to chant this to yourself, then you will never make it.

But Penders actually used to be better. His art has deteriorated precisely BECAUSE he does not practice or learn the fundamentals. Your image refutes your own point.

Penders spent 10000 hours drawing shitty and thinking his art was great

>His art has deteriorated
He got his 10000 hours out of the way once, and he was never Leonardo level. Are you admitting it takes more than 10000 hours total in a lifetime?
>learn the fundamentals
The people pushing the 10000 hours meme don't admit you have to actually understand the correct ways to do things, they just say "practice more" as if a fundamentally flawed method will become correct at the 10000 hour mark.
You can spend 10000 hours attempting to fly by jumping off a roof with feathers glued to your arms, that still won't be how flying works.
>Penders spent 10000 hours drawing shitty and thinking his art was great
If the 10000 hours meme is true, and Penders spent 10000 hours, why isn't he a master by now? Could it be the number of hours is only part of the requirements?

If you can make it to 10k hours without knowing the fundamentals of what you're doing you're too stupid to live

But he is an example of that philosophy in action. He spent 10,000 hours making shitty art, so now he is really, really good at making shitty art.

>He got his 10000 hours out of the way once, and he was never Leonardo level.

Actually I really doubt it, at least ehen it comes to doing pencils.
All Ken ever did before Sonic was write and trace (and ink). He was actually a pretty damn *good* inker while he was still in the field, he was just too proud to apply that skill. The one story in the entire series he inked without doing pencils or revisions was one of the best inked stories it ever had. It's kind of crazy.

But yeah, he actually drew very sparingly.

>Are you admitting it takes more than 10000 hours total in a lifetime?
Maybe? It really depends on the person and what they see as "good."

>The people pushing the 10000 hours meme don't admit you have to actually understand the correct ways to do things, they just say "practice more" as if a fundamentally flawed method will become correct at the 10000 hour mark.
...are you retarded? This is like Bitching that you ended up with diabetes after eating an apple every day. It's a colloquial piece of advice that implies more than it says. "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." means eat healthy to perserve your health, not that apples create an anti-doctor barrier. The saying that it takes thousands of hours to become an artist means that you shouldnt despair over inadequacy when first starting, as art takes a lot of dedication and practice.

>You can spend 10000 hours attempting to fly by jumping off a roof with feathers glued to your arms, that still won't be how flying works.
Like, what, are you just butthurt you sunk the time in and still suck? That's your fault for not assessing your own work.

I'm not even a great artist, and I could probably make a better sonic.

I'm not an visual artist -- I'm a musician. I don't practice because there's some kind of fucking reward for me on the horizon. I practice because I genuinely enjoy the act of playing music. I don't force myself to play or practice -- I just do because I want to.

People tell me "Oh you're so talented -- you must be born with it" No. NO. The only natural talent that I have is that I enjoy doing the same thing repeatedly for hours. I'm not talented, I'm a fucking sperg.

You also need to do it often and ATTEMPT to improve yourself, otherwise you get rusty.

Penders never tries to actually improve his style, because he thinks he is perfect. He doesn't need to practice, he doesn't need to attempt something new, because for him he is the greatest artist around despite his art being shit.

Using him as an example only makes you look like a petty asshole.

Same, except with drawing. While making money from it would be cool, I just really love to draw what I like be it original or fan art. I'm not the best, but I don't have to be.

Same. That said it is fun to see improvement

You have to be the very best though. The best that ever was.

There, look. I, I made that

He's a master in drawing his own awful style. Same with Liefeld-- their technique has improved over time, but they never actually cared to try and learn anatomy or understand perspective.

You can spend 10000 hours playing guitar, but if during that time you never bother to LEARN technique like finger-picking, chord structure, different scales, all the speed techniques metal players learn, and so on, you're gonna be stuck playing open chords, power chords and basic blues scale for your entire life, though you may be exceptionally good at those couple of things.

For example someone like Angus Young, he can play AC/DC style of music effortlessly and flawlessly night after night, but he probably would struggle trying to play any sort of classical guitar. Bo Diddley may be a master of blues, but some fucker from Norway could play circles around him in speed metal.

This is the truth behind most competencies.

Given the access to materials and time people will get good at what they like obsessively. Those without obsession will never reach the amount of practice and introspection necessary to excel.

The point of the approx. 10k hours is just that experts have invested extreme amounts of their lives to get to the point they're at. It's pretty damn similar to "The master has failed a thousand more timed than the beginner has failed"

Everybody shut up and tell me if Penders is finally done with his shitty Knuckles fanfiction or if he is actually going to sue IDW.

I think the major problem with this art piece is he decided to give Sonic realistic detailing, like the subtle muscle lines on his legs and arms, the wrinkles around his eye lids, fur around his ears, etc. It somehow creates this almost uncanny valley effect. The beauty of the Sonic style design is how simplistic it all is. The minute you start adding detail and realism to it, the whole thing just falls apart. Unless you intentionally trying to invoke that sort of feeling.

But do I have to travel across the land as well?

>is finally done with his shitty Knuckles fanfiction
As far as I know he only drew a couple of pages and called it a day.
>he is actually going to sue IDW.
He shouldn't be able to so long as they don't use any of his shitty OCs but I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to anyway.

Practice makes permanant
10000 hours perfecting shit still means you produce shit

looks good

Go back to /ic/ with your stupid art theory shit flinging

10000 hours of perfect practice makes perfect. 10000 hours of shitty practice makes shit. You have to actually make sure you're practicing the things that matter and not just reinforcing terrible habits over and over again.