Off-model thread

Everyone knows Sup Forums hates bad off-model animation (SU and OKKO) but how about a thread about GOOD off-model animation? Post examples of proper use of off-model

this isn't off model

gumball is cancer and was never good.

and that isn't off-model, if gumball's head suddenly became a circle or changed sizes when he emotes then it would be off-model, but the eyes don't even pop out of the perfect head shape.
boring and lazy

The original was obviously going for a more subdued "oh god help me it hurts" expression. You didn't express it better, you just changed it into something else entirely.

t. assblasted SU or KOfag

Your edit is horrible. The world should be thankful you aren't a storyboard artist.

>implying he doesn't work in O.K.K.O

The first season of Gumball was based. See the note in the upper right of Darwins's model sheet specifically instructing them to not just do the same thing each time.

>10 replies
>no Ren or Stimpy yet
ok

I love reading all the notes they put in to drawing guides.

Yes, it is.

Is this from S1 or the pilot? The pilot had pretty nice animation.

Regular Show had much better animation near the beginning. More fluid with great off model moments.

>first season has good designs with fluid movements
>every new season the show gets stiffer and stiffer
Every fucking time

This. Fluid animation on television is (sadly) a rare thing now. Many shows won't even have a single smear frame. And when you get a well-animated show, they just economise it.

>>no Ren or Stimpy yet
That show had no models

Touche.

What

>it's another "autistic faggot mistakes smear frames for being off model" episode
When is this show getting canceled again?

who's that thot

That's a smear frame you buffoon.

Now they just rely on dumb face changing gags where a character will suddenly have a face in a different style.
Most of these aren’t smear frames though.

Ren is the king of good off-model

What the fuck are you talking about? it's the same style

No. It's not

18+

It's from pulp fiction sperg

Any time this show goes off model.

You’re fucking retarded

Does anyone have screencaps of that really vertical warping shit they do when they're scared? Back when I watched RS I thought those frames were so cool.

>Most of these aren’t smear frames though.
This.
>Now they just rely on dumb face changing gags where a character will suddenly have a face in a different style.
>no me gusta.PPGreboot.jpg

Yes.
It is.

The faces #2 and #3 in OP pic never appear before or again. Pic related is what his on-model faces look like.

Therefore, his face went off-model.

No. It's not

>smears
>in-betweens
>gags

Here are some off model drawings of cartoon characters. What most of y'all are posting are "stretching" or "squashing."

"Stratching" and "squashing" is like the second thing an animator learns to do and it is in every show, unless it's some puppet animated horse crap

Now you can make a drinking game on how often Gumball's mouth makes this shape

You are fucking retarded

>knowing this little about animation

>y’all

busterbeam?

Wipes don't count as off-model

Another retard

Smears are not off model

I know what stretching and squashing is, and these images aren't that.

The "smears" guy was closer (but still wrong about most of these)

Well, I only watch S1 so it will be a pretty shit drinking game for me.

Does Orel's Movie Premiere count?

Those are not wipes.

These are not smears.

lol just go back three frames

Just a heads up, there are 1080p rips like 's image. trash threads had a link in the OP but they were taken down. Ask around when you get a chance.

Why did the writing and animation get way better in season 2 but the facial animation tanked?

Because post S1 Gumball is made in England. British people don't know how facial expressions work

>facial animation
>facial
Much more than that. The 3D animation didn't suffer IIRC but the rest of it did fucking hard.

Season 1 returned 36 episodes out of the 40 it was supposed to, so it got economised hard. I think Boulder Media got kicked off the show because of that.

Writing? They stopped making Gumball and Darwin insanely stupid, naive, inconsistent losers, allowing better plots. I preferred the old ones though, since the whole family just became hateful jerks.

u wot m8

The 2D animation for the first season was outsourced to Boulder Media (Wander season 2, Danger Mouse, the new LPS and Transformers shows) in Ireland. However, from what I’ve gathered, the Gumball crew kept missing deadlines (there’s a reason why season 1 only had 36 instead of 40 episodes), leading the Irish government to pull funding after the first season finished production. As a result, the show moved in house for 2D animation during season 2 and got outsourced to Great Marlborough Productions (a studio specifically created to animated Gumball) starting with the third season.

>leading the Irish government to pull funding after the first season finished production
>Irish government
Are you sure you don't mean Cartoon Network Europe?

>Everyone knows Sup Forums hates bad off-model animation (SU and OKKO)

Speak for yourselves.

> unless it's some puppet animated horse crap
MLP has squashing, stretching and smear frames too ya dummy. it's weird because they do them alright considering the flash handicap of not being able to do organic drawings but you'll get like one or two super obvious animation errors like the pony with one eye or the infamous-to-legend derpy.

surprised didn't use teen titans go or *WHIPCRACK* as an example.

I think he meant literal horse faeces, not MLP. ALTHOUGH SOME MIGHT SAY THEY'RE THE SAME THING

> literal horse faeces, not MLP
which show is this?
the sheer rage tho. barneyfag?

They only really became hateful jerks in the later episodes. They were mostly fine in season 2 by comparison

>the sheer rage tho. barneyfag?
No, just pretending to be retarded. Never watched the show but I don't dislike it

>by comparison
But even so, that was too much for me. It may not have been as intense but it was almost all the time.

You're a pretty sweet user. favourite show?

Honestly I only consider it offmodel if it's not during action or could be seen as action frames so like if they're just idling or standing around, I.E the offmodel isn't used to effect but rather because they just didn't draw them right normally.

Well, this is a valid opinion, as opposed to the retards yelling "smear".

Don't be that guy

There’s several posts with images of smears, user

>several
I can confirm there are no more than 3, and even they might not all be smears.

I literally don't understand why this has to happen. Is it really that much cheaper not to do

The writing changes season to season. I think it keeps it fresh but season 1 and 2 are the best.
I think he means grants. Ireland has been granting a lot of money to animation and movies as a whole lately.

>Ireland has been granting a lot of money to animation and movies as a whole lately.
Yeah, I heard a bit about that a while ago (hence some very nice studios there) but I didn't realised they would have been involved in any direct way with the animation issues of post S1 Gumball. I guess it never occurred to me, but it makes sense.

I don’t know a lot about it, but my guess is if they didn’t hit the quotas the studio wanted grants get pulled since it’s seen as bad.
It’s a shame because season 1 is my favorite,but the huge changes in writing being aligned with style changes (and VA changes on occasion) makes for a varied and interesting show. I doubt it would get as much praise if we had 3 or 4 seasons with the same setup as season 1.

>I doubt it would get as much praise if we had 3 or 4 seasons with the same setup as season 1.
Absolutely. I love S1 and only S1, but the show's popularity went up enormously once S3 started. It was much more suited to a popular audience.

I wonder what the next show will be that has outstanding animation. I'm counting on a second renaissance.

>When drawing him, keep that fat adult you hated when you were a child in mind, or your least favourite politician
Ohhhhhh snap.

>animated sweat drops

not every exagerated face is off model.
the "model" part refer to the character sheet, if the rules in the sheet allow extreme distorsion it's not off model.

he's not mistaking it, he's false flagging so he can pretend people who call his show off models are just "ignorant and stupid". It's the same strategy as the other (?) retard making bahnhaus general because he can't tolerate criticism over callart shit.

no wonder SU look like shit when the animators are too busy screeshing there instead of drawing.

THICC

>I’m counting on a second renaissance
I sure hope so. It’s not like good shows don’t exist but most get bad time slots or are economized. Before a new wave of animation there is going to need to be some change in leadership.
I would count this as off model. Gumball uses one off faces often enough that it’s clearly a gag, but the fact that they are only used once and not the guide says not to use them again means they never really make it to model sheets. Although I suppose it’s a matter of definition.

honestly only one artist on OK KO is really "bad off model"

is this a budget thing or a laziness thing? I really need to know as I plan to go into the industry. one of these can be saved

Both

Who are you quotient?

Nah, I'm multiplicative.

Can we make this a model sheet thread too?

What I find interesting about the Wander model sheets is that it's a puppet animated show, so you wouldn't think it would need model sheets. But it has them, and that is part of why the show looks so great in my opinion.

Might as well.