Are there any comic book writers that are universally loved/liked?

Are there any comic book writers that are universally loved/liked?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3rFSCNEvyZ4
youtube.com/watch?v=3iySvrc8eUc
bleedingcool.com/2012/08/10/the-jack-kirby-tribute-panel/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Stan Lee

Bendis?

Bendis?

100%
>Mark Gruenwald

over 90%
>Ditko
>Kirby
>DeMatteis
>Simonson
>Cole

Peter David before comics became an SJW shitfest

Yes. Bendis. Is Brian Michael Bendis univerally loved/liked?

>Are there any comic book writers that are universally loved/liked?

Morrison

DeMatteis and Morrison should be in an 80% bracket. I love 'em both but they're far from Kirby and Cole.

Larry Hama

Simonson is far from Kirby and Cole too.

Bendis the writer?

Never heard anything bad about Georges Remi.

No "from the grapevine" gossip, no trite bullshit on how he views the world affecting his comic, just some chill guy writing Tintin.

Niel Gaiman
Morrison has his haters

On Sup Forums? Probably Other places,

>Lee
>Ditko
>Kirby
>Dematteis
>Morrison
>Gaiman
>Claremont
>O'Neil
>JMS

Darwyn Cooke, the most chill guy at any con

>Morrison has his haters

I don't think Morrison has a lot of haters, it's his fans that have a lot of haters.

Not even memeing but can you honestly hate Johns? Even if you don't like his writing or the characters he prefers you can't pretend you wouldn't want to eat cereal and talk about comics with him.

Universally loved and "not hated" are two different things. I respect Johns' commitment to legacy, but I don't like his style of writing at all.

John's is a cool guy, but a lot of people hate his stories.

I hate him because he's a shitter and he filled up DC with all his shitter hack friends. Also a hypocrite
>hurr Watchmen made me write Captain Nazi and his nazi squad slaughter a dozen of innocent people including kids

>100%
>Mark Gruenwald

Is that true?

I love hate Morrison. Have I fallen for his master plan?

Ennis

Mike Mignola.

Jim Steranko.
Moebius

I love him, but there are a few faggots here that whine about him being edgy.

I've never heard a bad word about Stan Sakai.

Ed Brubaker?

His work ethic makes every other comic book artist look bad, but I think without going into mangaka overdrive.

Part of the joke about Stan Lee is he has a core group of Kirby fans who hate him for taking overly large credit to their comic creations.

Also, he's a bit of a cunt.

Not this guy. I bet I could beat him up easily, and I draw way hotter girls than him.

Hellboy is also universally loved.

Get out of here, guy behind Alt-Hero. You're only buttmad because after you said he'd be behind the project people btfo'd you on why he wouldnt.

There's something intrinsically tragic about Mark Gruenwald that I think people feel for.

Here's a guy who LOVES Marvel so much, he made the god damn encyclopedia. He was buried with the first edition of Squadron Supreme, and wrote Captain America for 11 years. He used to sit at cons the table across Mark Waid where when they had free moments, one shouted out a moment from a comic and the other had to guess the exact issue that moment happened in.
This is a guy who was heart broken when he had to lay people off in the 90's, was constantly feeling down that Punisher and Wolverine were seen as bigger heroes than Captain America, and when he died, people at the Marvel offices thought he was pulling a prank.

You just really feel for the guy. He put his heart in so completely with Marvel and it's kind of sad he isn't remembered more.

I'm not sure I know of a quicker way ro make people hate your guts than going "Jack Kirby would have totally been on board with my shitty Nazi comic".

Maybe if you said "Hello, my name is Mark Millar", but even then

I knew the Alt-Hero guy had to be retarded, but no one could be crazy enough to think Jack Kirby would be pro-nazi, right?

I think Steve Gerber was loved by pretty much everyone (except Marvel editorial)

>TFW JLA/Avengers was dedicated to Gru.

I remember reading a Bullpen Bulletin from when he died and it nearly broke my heart.

from DC?

>He was buried with the first edition of Squadron Supreme
Correction, his ashes were mixed with the ink for the first edition of Squadron Supreme.

Are you joking? Young justice fans,90sfags, batfags, captain marvelfags and now newgodsfags all hate him

i like him as a writer, but i hate him as a person for shilling his stories for royalties, cucking morrison and other writers from working in the batman movie, filling DC with his personal friends and having zero artistic integrity, rebirth is about the return to his canon and no one else

No, OP is wrong. It's 200% actually

:3

>but can you honestly hate Johns?
if you like Martian Manhunter and Cyborg as a Titan then yes

>but can you honestly hate Johns?
i hate how he keeps pushing his psuedo Crisis story as the definitive Flash story

Why would Zidane be universally loved in comics? He's a footballer.

It's honestly a shame how well he did with Wally, and then pissed it all away by making post-FC Barry nothing like he was pre-Crisis. And resetting the entire continuity in the process. I will say that Johns prior to about 2010 is generally a fun read, at least.

>universally loved
you don't spend much time on the board, do you?

First I heard of him I was buying squadron supreme and the guy at the counter told me the story. Really seemed like a neat guy

What makes his story even more tragic is the idea that the last comic Gru read was Rob Liefeld's Captain America. SF Debris said it best when he said "Rob Liefeld wrote a comic so bad, IT MAY HAVE NEARLY KILLED A MAN."

Don Rosa
He is a humble guy, tending to his Chillis

Joe Kelly

First answer should have been Stan Sakai.

He gifted me something when
I was going through a really shitty time, and it meant the workd to me. I will always keep repeating that story because Stan is such a good guy and an amazing comic creator, and he deserves more credit.

>54 posts
>nobody mentions Sergio Aragones
Sup Forums is trash. Reminder that brevity is the hardest talent for a writer to master.

We live in a world of flat earthers and anti-vaxxers.

But of course {{{Jack Kirby}}} would be pro-Nazi. He personally helped create Holohoax to fool all the goyim.

Mark's death was the single most devastating loss in the comic book industry ever.

The guy was beloved by fans and industry people alike. He was the heart of all cons he attended, he respected everyone and their work, he knew every single fucking detail and trivia about comics, he was the soul of every place he'd be, wrote the marvel encyclopaedia and the omniverse, two must reads for fans of cape comics, and the list goes on.

I cried my eyes out the day he died.

And reading his comics, having in mind the kind of person he was, makes the reading even better. I'm being sensasionalist here, but his Squadron Supreme dwarfs Watchmen easily when it comes to the deconstruction theme.

You're talking about this guy btw
youtube.com/watch?v=3rFSCNEvyZ4

youtube.com/watch?v=3iySvrc8eUc

>At this year’s tribute Mark Evanier began with a commentary on the Kirby /Marvel situation which started when Kirby sued to get thousands of pages of artwork returned. Evanier felt at the time there were folks using the Kirby situation to their own advantages, using their own grips with Marvel and latching on to the incident. There were a few folks that were rallying behind Kirby and had there been anything like the internet, the story would have been more known far and wide, not just through fanzines and such. Evanier tells that he was in an interesting position when he went to talk to Kirby’s attorney at the time and asked what should he do? The Attorney told him to keep a low profile; that he was valuable. At the time, Evanier stated that he was on pretty good terms with both sides of the issue. “I was one of the only people alive who could talk on a personal basis with both Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.” He was to stay out of the fight and be a confidant. Evanier explained had some folks at Marvel who would feed him information from the inside and since both have passed away since, he claimed that it was one of the great editors of all time, Mark Gruenwald and Carol Kalish, Vice President of New Product Development.

bleedingcool.com/2012/08/10/the-jack-kirby-tribute-panel/

Mike Mignola

What is your recommended Sergio Aragones reading list?

Groo
His work on MAD
Solo issue
Sergio Aragonés Massacres Marvel, Sergio Aragonés Destroys DC, and Sergio Aragonés Stomps Star Wars
Sergio Aragonés Funnies

Thanks buddo