Tell me, Sup Forums

Tell me, Sup Forums.
How do I write a good female character ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/pBz0BTb83H8?t=24s
alyssakorea.tumblr.com/tagged/korea-draws
youtube.com/watch?v=VjCedbTGWzk
youtube.com/watch?v=LFlMoAasW4A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Easy, don’t do the shit in your OP image and you’re ready to go.

make her cute
CUTE

Write a good character and make it female

1) Don't make her a Mary Sue

that's too empowering

Write a male and remove the benis. If I wanted to make a realistic female charecter I'd write a male and remove all responsibility and common sense

youtu.be/pBz0BTb83H8?t=24s

This.

Just pretend you're writing for any other character and ignore that it's a girl so you don't become obsessed with "I don't want her to be a cliche girly girl!" or "I don't want to fall into the strong independent womyn trap!" and end up micro-managing your own work so heavily you create pure dogshit.

Are you NEETs naturally misoginistic cunts who hates actual responsible people with common sense and enjoy spreading lies like a bunch of kindergarten cunts?

Or are your american women actually this ugly, fat, stupid, insane and immature that they rival slavic males?
In eastern europe and russia it's the opposite so I don't know this whole bullshit about a woman laying around not reading book, not getting good grades in school, getting drunk, beating up her kids, yelling like a retard, commenting like a cunt, being a pseudo-intellectual asshole, an idiot and cheating 24/7 with 200 men while she's married.
Everything I said applies to the majority of slavic men.

>Randomly brings up slavs and some weird sexual fantasy
Okay, that seems to be a personal problem but generally yes, most women are expected to be boorish, stupid and overconfident in thier abilities. Peggy Hill is about as good as you can expect to realistically get out of a woman.

Write a male character, but with tits and a vagina

like this user said.

It's just another character. Give her a back story, a fatal flaw, and a redeeming quality.

Nice bait. I'll bite.

It's difficult to do well while keeping your story compelling. Not because believable women don't make good characters, but because of our storytelling expectations. Audiences want to see action. Her motivations and actions are going to be way more internal than those of a male character, and thought bubbles are boring. Audiences want dialogue that moves the action along. Not the plot, the action. But she's going to want to talk about things a LOT more than a male character, and to her that dialogue IS the action. But even for women in your audience, do it wrong and it's a yawnfest.

Use this to create great and believable tension between characters. Do her dialogue-heavy scene with a male character who doesn't get where she's coming from, and watch the discomfort build to frustration and conflict. Nice curve ball right at the point where they need to be working together.

Her motivations are mostly the same, but a few differences can add realism to your character. One big difference: Where many men gain status by what they do, many women gain status by who they know. More accurately, who they are intimate with. That's why the relationships between girlfriends MATTER so desperately to them. Who they're close to is very much who they are. (For most guys, who they are is more about what they do. And women show intimacy by sharing personal thoughts & secrets, where men show intimacy by doing things together.)

Most guys really do not get this, and so they're befuddled by stories about female relationships. For your male audience, take a minute to do some exposition so they understand that her stakes are actually quite high. Get the boys to see that, and they'll be on the edge of their seat too.

One big similarity: Her motivations are HER goals, not the someone else's. She's the hero of her own life, not a mirror. And even in a romance story, romance is never her primary goal.

There's a lot more, but this is enough to get you started.

Don't be afraid to have bad things happen to her, if it would make for a better/more interesting story

are people like you generally this baby skinned?

Yeah, this. Center the character around its personality, goals, and ideals, then choose if you want it to be male or female.

Your mother must be proud of you

Got a source on that artist?

alyssakorea.tumblr.com/tagged/korea-draws

Thank you, kind user.

Don't.Women are never happy with anyway they are portrayed.

Men see a mountaintop and strive to climb it
Women see a mountain top and claim that it is an unreasonable standard of mountaintop and seek to tear it down to bring all women to their level.

Don't write about women unless you're a women so you can climb a few runs up the oppression ladder

How valid is "she's just a dude with tits" as criticism of female characters written the same as males?

wowza

It isn't.

That seems to depend on the specific personality of the female character in question, as if she is supposed to be a more feminine figure, then that makes sense. However, if she is more of a tomboy, then its makes less sense, as tomboys, by definition, are more masculine.

YOU MAKE THEM HUGE SLUTS

Depends, what kind of female character do you intend to write?
pic is my favorite female Sup Forums character.

I presume that they meant like human males and not slavic ones.

refute the argument

Make a good character that happens to be a woman

You fucking don't.
You write a Male character instead.
There's no way you can write a female character that won't end up pissing a bunch of people off.

this: youtube.com/watch?v=VjCedbTGWzk
> Ripley from Alien was originally written as a man

Write a male character but remove all accountability and rationality from their actions. For example imagine a scenario where your character wants to watch a movie with a friend, your character says I love the Last Jedi while her male friend has no idea what she means "yh its a uhhh good movie" he says snickering. All of a sudden your character gets pissed off then walks away leaving the male character confused.

I'm taking movie night didn't go so well?

We don't know for sure he he's stupid enough to want to try making them appeal to women, maybe he's just trying to figure out what guys like or something.

Consider this, the fact generally speaking men are the go getters and heroes in real life means writing a woman, who in all likelihood would never behave that way in real life, to be equal to or surpassing those men is indeed just writing a girl to be a guy.
It's effectively ignoring reality.

like pic related

Make her a lesbian and SJW will think the character is deep even though she's just a piece of shit
Pic very related

youtube.com/watch?v=LFlMoAasW4A

Women tend to be more socially active than men, their fears with old age are less existential and more about them fearing their waning presence in society and how people perceive them. No really, that's the leading cause of death by anxiety drive heart attacks in women, because they develop an agoraphobic fear of embarrassment. Generally, women tend to put on a persona more convincingly than men.

I think a female spy is about as much as you can do with a female hero as far as something realistic, as opposed to idealistic goes.

Realistically speaking if you want an enjoyable female character just ignore most of this advice and model her off characters you like jerking it to.
Is that what I'd do?
No, but unless you honestly wanna know what makes men and women tick and why women don't make dynamic interesting leads when written realistically I suggest you just go with that.

>who they're close to is very much who they are.
Could a story like taxi driver work with a female protagonist? Are there any stories about women with no friends at all?

You really need to ask yourself if you can honestly imagine an interesting story following a realistic woman with few supporting male characters.
What about her could keep the audiences attention?
That's the question you need to answer.

you don't

Actually make her into an interesting character that has somewhat of a chemistry to everyone. And don't make her unbearably needy, just really emulate anyone who has better tropes and reasoning and flaws and you are good to go here man.

Follow the horse show's example
Realistic female characters suck

Why didn't the male character state his opinion of the film like a well-adjusted human being instead of dropping his spaghetti?

Well I guess it'd depend on what she does. Which seems contrary to what everyone in the thread is saying, that women ARE, and men DO. So maybe that'd be something to play around with, like maybe the reason a lot of women go into jobs like baristas and customer service is because its easier for them to BE something while also doing something. So you could start off a story with a character like that, maybe they're a college student doing a waitress job or something, not a lot of time off, doesnt really have a social life, but she fits a role and is what she is. So then the catalyst in the story could be her getting fired and having to get a job doing something, and deal with the psychology of her actions becoming mixed with her actual identity. Dunno what specifically that'd be. Maybe it ends with her becoming a nun because of the events of the story, but essentially repeating the cycle of the doing and the being becoming who she is.

just a couple of ideas.

Have a man write her.

>not liking dementia
fag

Write whatever the fuck you want, then ignore any critiques from numales, virtue signalers, and feminists. If normies like it, then that's about as good as it's going to get.

Don't treat her being female as her one defining characteristic. What makes a good female character isn't too different from what makes a good male character. Interesting backstory, layered personality, complex motivations, relatable emotions.

>write trans character because I want to
>get accused of virtue signaling by rigties
There is no winning in this political climate.

What fucking argument? There’s no fucking argument, “Muh women are whiny” is a statement, not an argument.

Looks like you strengthened the argument that all women are whiny

Tits or GTFO

I'd also add get a sane female to review it as well. Unless your work is aiming to go into the ends and outs of tampons or practical cheese cake, there shouldn't be a problem.

I’m a dude.

Looks like you strenghtend everyone’s perception of you as a complete idiot.

Then show me your dick so I can laugh at it and you're the only one replying

Quit trying to appeal to the peanut gallery you hang around with in an attempt for a pity fuck. In case you didn't understand, cause you're a faggot, I'm talking about all those women you like to act are your friends when really, all you want from them is sex

>one-sided lesbian groping
>busty clowns
user please, I just finished fapping

You’re pretty fucked up in the head, aren’t you? Explains why you can’t get laid.

Write her as a person with strengths, weaknesses, motivations, and aspirations. It's literally the same as writing a good male character.

Then ignore them, too. This entire decade and a half has been all about appeasing fringes rather than just telling good stories that the majority can relate to.

>look how much pussy I pull on an anonymous imageboard about cartoons

How was growing up in a single mother household?

>Don't make her feel like a token female
>Don't try and make her quirky for the sake of it
>She should pass the Bechdel test and then some
>Don't be afraid to give her flaws if she's a main character

cringe

think about a good male character, and make him a girl.

>liking personified deviantart

>all the retarded replies that say "just write male characters"

Nigger do you expect the entire cast to be a sausage fest?

The male character stated his opinion that it was yet by snickering.

>being this stupid to miss the point

Write a male character and then just turn them female

You say it like it was supposed to be an insult though I’m not sure why it would be.

You talk like anyone disagreeing with your assesment of women must be doing so in order to impress imaginary ladies. I would say this logic is flawed. If that is the only possible explanation you can imagine for anyone disagreeing with you, it says more about your mental state than about me.

Get some friends to talk to. Failing that, get professional help.

What's wrong with a sausage fest?
Some of the best stories told have been about camaraderie, war and brotherhood.
That doesn't make for a good FEMALE character though, that's just making a character that happens to be female and could just as easily not be.
So no inherent feminine attributes would make for a good female character?

I would say talk to women, ask them what you want to know. “I’m a writer, and would love to know your perspective on X”. People generally like to talk about themselves. Just take note of what stands out to you and you might get a better understanding of how to write your female character.

Of course this approach presumes some level of mutual trust being established. Don’t go up to a random girl at the bar and ask “so, what’s menustration like?”

Not wanting to put your dick in Deviantart
Once you get used to the hedgehogs and equines you will love it

See:Ripley was literally a dude in Alien until the last second

The problem then is all she is is a dickless male character.

>I was actually right about the single mother household

No wonder you sound like a woman
You've never known any other way

>That doesn't make for a good FEMALE character though, that's just making a character that happens to be female and could just as easily not be.
A good character is a good character regardless of the gender. They aren't good because they're male or female, it's because of good writing.

I didn’t say you were right, did I know? You just assumed you were. Which you are not.

You seem convinced that you have some supernatural power to know everything. My gender, my home life etc. It’s a common trait with megalomania, thinking yourself super clever and/or as having supernatural insight.

I don’t know if you actually are mentally ill, but I recommend you seek a professional opinion. Megalomanic tendencies might be symptoms of schizophrenia, and if that is indeed the case you need medical attention right NOW.

Take care of yourself.

Just forget they're female, and write them.

Dude, stop taking the bait.

Sound like I struck a nerve
How many boyfriends did your mother have growin up?

1. write a good character

2. give them a vagina

Make sure shes a slut who denies shes a slut.

My point being though, that men and women see and handle things differently sometimes and that should reflect in the character otherwise the character is more of a blank slate than a well written female or male character.
Unless you believe men and women aren't different than it's interchangeable, which I don't think that is the case.

>Not getting the reference joke

Be aware of some inherit societal and behavioral differences that woman are a part and go through, but ultimately it all comes down to motivation, character development and importance of the narrative like any other character. There is no limit to how they can be written because writing characters have no real limit if you have the skill and understanding for it.

Pic related is a current example of a fantastic female character, to a point of becoming one of my favorite animated characters in general.

Good example of a female character. Sally and Britney are going to the store. Sally starts talking about her boyfriend Brad, and Britney tells Sally to chill. Sally ignores her and continues on bragging about how hot he is oblivious to how its making Britney feel like shit. Sally continues on then see another girl Melinda and says her dress looks really nice but means it looks like shit and both her and Britney laugh. Melinda says something about wet dogs then leaves the store. Sally then does a selfie with Britney for no reason then goes on her phone to talk to Toby a guy she is fucking while dating Brad. Toby is Brad's cousin btw. Britney hates Toby because he fucked her little sister Erica and also beat her but Erica said Toby is too hot to go to the jail.

Yh inane nonsense like that are female characters now you see why people hate writing them.

Don't try to fall in the feminist agenda

that is the most disgusting thing I've read on Sup Forums

All of my favorite characters I've written (which is probably bad because I shouldn't treat any characters with more attention than others though I do) are female. I've attributed this to some Jungian anima shit, it's nothing waifu based. Their struggles are largely based off of my own insecurities projected onto a historical fantasy context, but I think that a lot of girls have to go through the same thing and that my characters' conflict is very archetypal anyway.

You can't "write" stories, you just have to keep observing the world until the story just naturally exists. The fact that this topic is being reduced to prissy little meme politics is depressing.

My science fiction book had a harem, but it's not like the 90% of Sup Forums thinks...
It's a group of alien women liderated by the last alien man in their race.
And my difference is spotted with the real definition of "love", in my opinion.
So... no wild sex everyday & everytime.
Like a adopted familiy in my vision.

incels is another board... and website

That sounds...very silly. It's no wonder you're just some random on Sup Forums, and not a best-selling author worth caring about. Stories can't be written... What?

You damned idiot...

And William Marston only emphasized and constantly wrote in situations of Wonder Woman being bounded to display the metaphor of society forcing females in submissive roles.

And not at all because he just so happened to have a BDSM fetish.
What's the book anyway?

You don't
The only winning move is not to create female characters, through dick, unity.

"The fact that this topic is being reduced to prissy little meme politics is depressing."

Becaue, as usual, nobody here really cares about helping this person. It's just another chance to get their worthless, cynical opinion out of their heads so they don't explode.