Why is this comic so funny? I mean that in a literal sense...

Why is this comic so funny? I mean that in a literal sense, usually you can take a joke and break down the schematics of it and understand why it's funny, usually from timing or subversion of expectation, but with this one I'm stumped.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jk8S2KFq7lM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't know but it reminds me of a joke I heard as a kid.

What's green, and goes up and down?
a pea in an elevator

This comic but with a cute girl

Xkcd is funny now?

the joke is that it's unusual for a person to take pride in the force of their urination and desire to show this to others unprompted

The fact that so much emotion is portrayed in the last panel despite the character in question having no face.

It's funny to me because it's about not forcing your work. You never know for sure if that other person is tolerant enough to give a shit for your work

>I'm gonna head over to /qstg/, heard a new story about wizards and whatnot
>''HEY CHECK OUT HOW COOL THIS STORY IS LIKE IT'S THE BEST STORY EVER AND IT HAS SOME OF THE GREATEST CHARACTERS AND...''
>Real human being...and a real hero..

Fuck man, that actually dashed my expectations.

The zoom. You know what emotion it's supposed to be zooming on, but the drawing is a low-res squiggle. The difference between the expected emotion and what the art is capable of emoting is funny.

Xkcd would never make something this funny

Because from a structural standpoint it's the perfect comedic comic.
If follows a four panel structure, the first sets up situation, the second is the situation playing out, the second shows others reacting to the situation, and the final panel puts us in the moment by conveying the emotion of the other person reaction.
The humour is obsured but a situation not
completely alien, and as this user said despite there being basically nothing you know what emotion the character is feeling despite having no face simply by context alone.
It is quite honestly a masterpiece of comedy.

>Why is this comic so funny?
tons of reasons, i'll explain a few

this comic is very very old, i didn't come to Sup Forums until winter of 2006, so it's possible that it was made before i came here or sometime 06-08.
>i think it ties into humor revolving around others posting responses that have nothing to do with the subject at hand.
>it's completely left-field and absurd that someone would grab the attention of another person just to show someone how hard they can urinate.
>PWWWWFFFFSSSSSHHHFFFWWWWWWWW is an amazing sound effect
>the humor is supplemented by how simple the drawings are. the pissing pose is perfect, and the guy's stare of utter bewilderment in the last panel is great. first time i saw this, i'm pretty sure i laughed until i was red in the face.
the whole comic is actually so perfect it doesn't need to broken down and explained but those are my favorite things about it.

it's funny for the reason that people find this tweet funny

>"this nigga eating beans"
works on so many levels

the shape of the left guy's head is somehow optimally funny. But you're right, I can't describe why.

I think it translates to video pretty well
youtube.com/watch?v=Jk8S2KFq7lM

for me, it's the lack of facial expressions combined with the absurdity of the situation and the silence of the character in the last panel

If that were true, every identical piece of four panel shit Shen shits out should be considered a masterpiece.

No, this comic is good because of the amount of expression it conveys, with so little.

It's a completely absurd situation (no-one is ever going to run up to you and tell you to watch how hard they can pee) being portrayed in a completely absurd manner (borderline unintelligible stick figures) yet still keeping itself grounded with the emotions of the figure in the third and fourth panel.

You get the sense that zoom guy seems to be the straight-man to the entire dumb universe that he lives in and this creates humour.

The silent character's listless stance and blank expression really makes it seem like this kind of incredible stupidity is the norm in his life and he's simply resigned himself to it at this point. It conveys an incredible amount of emotion for such a simple comic and is a very relatable feeling for a lot of people.

Please mr quid-san help me understand how it could be so funny

To me, one of the best elements is that the guy on the left actually did stop walking and turn around to watch the other guy pee. I feel like while there's definitely a lot of resignation in his body language, there's also a bit that's mildly impressed.

I've never worked out if he's supposed to be impressed or baffled by the situation

Holy fuck, I just laughed at that as hard as i laughed the first time I saw the comic.

>Why is this comic so funny
the stupidest jokes are the funniest, end of discussion

For me the joke is the closeup of the stick figure's face.

For me, it's Colin Quinn!

It's the sound effect

it could have been an opportunity for your daily dose

Nice quads by the way

It's because as gross as it is and as rude as it is, it'd still be very impressive to witness someone peeing that hard. It's something that we subconsciously measure from one pee to the next, but never saw it as a competition, just a possible sign of our health. Running up to someone and showing off is funny.

But this isn't funny. It's literally toilet humour.

Its a pissing contest.

the last frame is a blank face so we project our own thoughts onto it. The zoom makes those thoughts more intense.

I see the first person as being disgusted but impressed.

>"this nigga eating beans"
I'd laugh too. I'd laugh even if I'm the dumb-ass eating beans during fucking Cars 2

I think it's relatable on some level. Everyone pees as hard as they can sometimes just to see how hard they can do it and part of you probably wishes you impress people with it.

underrated

it's pure absurdist humor. in the first panel it's the sheer absurdity of such a request to someone who clearly is just walking about minding their own business. then in the second panel the pose conveys everything. he's bracing his hands against his legs, the sound is in all caps demonstrating just how loud it is and the sheer force of his pee is creating splashes that reach up to his knees. he's been practicing this for a while and it's no wonder he's bounding so gleefully in the first panel. he has perfected this art. the last two panels are entirely devoted to this notion, is our bystander staring in awe? disgust? humor? regardless, he is staring. he's checking out how hard he can pee. it's a testament to absurd humor and the will of man to accomplish any goal.

This.
These are none of the things why this comic is funny. You managed to spurt out a way of making this hilarious comic seem unfunny.
This is why you should from now on shut the fuck up about funny things.

>new Sup Forums banner

it's a sort of haunted, absolute confusion

What was the expectation? You are clearly meant to expect something vulgar.

I seembeing more stunned and “Why am I watching this?”

I've always imagined it as he was disgusted. Not like the "oh wtf gross" disgusted, but the angry kind of disgust. The kind of disgust a father has when he finds out his son gets arrested for selling meth or some shit.

>when you pee so hard you nearly black out