Runaways (2017) Issue 5 storytime

Let’s go

Other urls found in this thread:

musd.freeforums.net/thread/23/molly-hayes-princess-powerful-bruiser
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

In case you need a refresher

Why is Nico so desperate to fuck every member of the team?

How long does Gert stay alive for?

Also RIP Xavin

She is desperate to feel anything at all after Murderworld, I guess.

Gert’s just been brought back to life after two years. She’s now in full sadboi hours tho

Gert’s a QT without her glasses. If only they could update her shitty frames to something a little cuter

CCS and Sailor Moon

Molly has come good taste

I was never that big a fan of Molly in the original run but this current Molly is p cool

Gert quit hogging all the experimentation.

The bros return

What happened to Victor?

I’m glad that they wasted no time getting them to run away, unlike a certain tv adaptation.

He got killed in the Vision series from I wanna say 2015? It’s a great short series, worth a read. Anyway he’s better now.

>Molly and her parents are retconned into no longer being mutants
>Right after Disney bought Fox
kek

Last time I checked he was initiating the Victorious protocol, has he started talking again?

Hey a slow TV series that means we got out of a forever hiatus.

They’re still mutants, they were just mutated by grandma it seems.

I fucking love this page.

He has been keeping quiet on purpose. He talked to Molly last issue and now he’s opening up.

It was a good show for the most part I just wish we could have gotten Volume 1 done in one season, not two. Still, the interest in Runaways is high now and the new comics are great

>They’re still mutants, they were just mutated by grandma it seems.
By Marvel Universe terminology, that makes them mutates. To be a mutant, you have to be born with an X-Gene.

Ah shit you’re right. Still, this makes more sense than two mutants having the exact same powers somehow.

God I love Victor Mancha.

I like how Victor is the only one who noticed how ridiculously sketchy Molly’s situation was.

Did somebody say sexual tension

oops

classic nico

I wish Whedon didn’t have Victor cheat on Nico and retroactively ruin their relationship forever. They were cute together.

At least the TV show gave more development with the parents, showed their relationships with each other and their kids better.

He had an argument with his body. It got messy.

You could read what happened in the AI Avengers mini. (Was it intended to be an ongoing?) Blame Vision, as well, for putting him in storage and pronouncing him dead like Tony Stark did to him.

AAAAAAAH
fucking don't

>tfw shipping this for 13 years and once Nico is finally into it Karolina isn't
feelsbadman.jpeg

Eh the show is interesting, kinda waiting for tonight to watch the finale

Pros
The parents are much more interesting.
Gert's actress is a cutie
Chase is much more interesting.

Cons
Molly was really badly miscast, somehow looks older than half the kids. Also yellow eyes.

Nico is annoying and her one cool power gimmick isn't in the show because "lol no real magic"

Each episode has like one mandated eye roll per episode.

Incest pretty much confirmed

Pride was the best part of the tv show. What are the odds they all die in the season 2 finale as a noble sacrifice for their children?

How worn out his Nico's vagina at this point? She has been around the block a few times before hitting 18.

oh my fucking god
they're retconning molly into not being a mutant anymore
they're quicksilver/scarlet witch-ing Molly Hayes

And that’s all for this week, folks!

Somehow Molly’s actress is only 15 yet she looks older than the 20 year olds. Anyway expect the finale to feel like Runaways for the first time but also don’t expect it to go anywhere. Gotta set up season 2 and all that.

Watch the show.

Those must be some thick piddle pads

wew lad, a villain with an actually good motivation? even though she seems to be a bit nuts, her motivation is cool. Wants to protect her family, thought the Pride were assholes and so are their kids.

Preview for next week.

I feel like this should upset me but honestly I’m so glad to have well written Runaways again that I can’t bring myself to be that mad

Is Alex still alive or did he go back to Hell?

I'm not even mad, it's definitely well written
it's just hilarious to me, because it reminds me they would have been writing this when the fox deal wasn't even a thing anyone thought was possible to happen

He’s still alive, although with this art style he may as well be in Hell.

Seems to me Molly was born, not made, with her powers. So if her parents were made mutants à la Mister Sinister that would mean Molly is a born mutant.

Oh good lord!

And the saddest part? having anything other than a d20 on that shirt. Disgraceful.

Old Lace knows that she's next.

Power Man and Iron Fist walks a fine line between stylish and flat out ugly

So he's one of their villans now?

got addicted to drugs then killed

Ultron is an even bigger failure of a father than Hank

Grandma has good taste in television

This series was so good up until this point but here's all semblance of delicacy being thrown at the window.

The book got canceled when Bendis decided he wanted to write Defenders (which is actually just repeating the same crap he did with Hood but with Cottonmouth this time)

Iron Fist and Luke Cage each have solos right now but neither of them is interacting with Alex

Would be nice to see him interact with the others again.

Every issue of this has been even better than the last. Hands down the best Runaways series since the BKV run, and it's downright crazy how much respect the writer has for Runaways canon. I really hope this sticks around for the longhaul, because this right here is the TRUE volume 3.

That's because she actually acts closer to her own age now instead of acting like a 5 year old.

Chase got him addicted to drugs (to be fair, Chase didn't realise that what he was giving him was basically heroin for an android). While high, he accidentally killed Vision's son. Once Vision found this out, he went to go kill Victor. Vision's wife, not wanting Vision to murder his own little brother, killed him instead then killed herself.

she better be not retconned from being a mutant.

You know when I heard someone talking about this issue I assumed the worst
This is the one book I don't want to be bad the first comics I ever read were the runaways so seeing how they have been treated has been hurting my love for comics.
But thankfully this book gives me hope

Her parents aren't mutants anymore, but Molly still is. The first page here: clearly shows that Molly's DNA still has the X-genes. This is just a way to explain why the two of them had the exact same powerset including the same power-signature, which was always weird. The two of them being incest twins was a popular theory in the fandom because of that.

That makes them mutates, not mutants. Molly is still a mutant, but her parents are just science expirements.

Well she brought up her kids
So maybe it will be revealed that her powers were not connected to her parents and she is a mutant

She's mutant enough that Cerebra can track her and when the X-men send out telepathic messages specifically directed at mutants she's on the mailing list.

Of course Quicksilver and Wanda used to be on Cerebro's radar too

He's still alive. He was the main antagonist in the recent Power Man & Iron Fist ongoing.

It's funny because the first issue seemed like this would be slow ass trash where nothing happens and yet it's been improving nonstop.

That's not the x-gene. That's literally just how chromosomes look

>they're retconning molly into not being a mutant anymore
No they aren't. They retconned her parents into not being mutants, but Molly still is. The first page clearly shows that she still has the X-gene.

That's good enough for me. Hopefully, it will be never brought back

It's like how Reed Richards and Sue Storm were mutated by cosmic rays

But their son Franklin is a Mutant.

We can always hope that it'll be ignored

Molly was born with her powers and they developed at puberty. She didn't get them from expirementations. Also the first page shows that she still has the X-gene in her blood, and she says later in the issue that she was born with her powers whereas her parents were given them from the grandma

Mutate parents are more likely to have mutant kids. Franklin Richards, for example, is a mutant, despite his parents' powers being from cosmic radiation.

So Molly is still a mutant. It's just that her parents weren't.

Still, what's the point of that retcon now anyway?

Man just finished watching the hulu show, was a real letdown

A reminder that Molly was a member of Brotherhood of Evil Mutants from the future.
Just sayin'

it makes more sense than having her parents be two mutants that have the exact same powerset and married each other. The only two other mutants with exactly similar powersets are the incestual Strucker twins. It's too much of a stretch.

To explain why her parents both had the same powerset and power-signature, which among mutants would only happen if they were twins or clones. That was always a weird thing about their powers which is what led to people assuming they were incestuous twins.

Ironically, this retcon may explain their powers in such a way that they are no longer implied incest twins, but it just makes canon the fact that they were siblings, just not blood related.

telepathy is a pretty common mutant power, though

She was mindcontrolled into joining them.

>it makes more sense than having her parents be two mutants that have the exact same powerset and married each other
it's not really that weird. there is Fenris, Northstar & Aurora. Sure, they are siblings, but it's not like their powers were super unique

Still, why would they mindcontrol a non-mutant into joining a mutant brotherhood?

But telepathy where use of the power makes your eyes glow pink, and the exact same shade of pink at that? All telepaths have their own unique power-signatures attached. Psylocke has the butterfly stuff, Xavier has the waves, Karma's were blocky, Nate/Nathan's caused his one eye to glow yellow, Emma didn't have any visual tell but had the diamond form secondary mutation, etc.

Molly's parents both had the same "eyes glow pink" power signature.

>but it just makes canon the fact that they were siblings, just not blood related.
Just like Molly's Japanese anime

>That was always a weird thing about their powers which is what led to people assuming they were incestuous twins.
Show me, when on the internet people even discussed that? It's literally the first time I've seen such an implication

Whose saying she's not a mutant?

except that the telepaths don't have the exact same powerset. Jean has fire manipulation and telekinesis, Charles has telepathy, projection and more refined skills, Emma has her diamond form
you're just reinforcing my point, Aurora and Northstar are twin siblings

Again that's not the X-gene, that's literally just how chromosomes look during cell division

Goddamit Nico I know you get clingy when things are bad but Karolina
is a bad choice.

Also holy crap Chase bad timing man

>It's literally the first time I've seen such an implication
Really? You've never heard that theory floated around? Maybe you just weren't using any comic-based message boards or IRC channels around the time when the first volume was coming out.

one such example
musd.freeforums.net/thread/23/molly-hayes-princess-powerful-bruiser

Didn't that team also have Deadpool?

>Fenris
Twins.

>Northstar & Aurora
Also twins.

speaking of which, from today's x-men blue

deadpool is a mutie by proxy

>the absolute madman actually found it
I fucking hate you so much right now

it's kinda annoying how her parents have to be retconned, and on one else's

holy hell I stopped reading Blue pretty early, but has the art really been that bad?
Double-shipping was a mistake

can't we just go back to ignoring Bendis X-Men

except Ice Man Wizard, he was cool

Why the long face Molly

anyone remembers what happened to the storm's daughter? the one with a huge cat?

Hopefully she fell through the cracks of reality during Secret Wars and was never seen again