Why was Dormammu okay but Parallax wasn't?

Both were literally giant faces instead of their unique comic looks, but Dormammu seems to get a pass.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yKAfwBPvsMA?t=112
youtube.com/watch?v=Qlrgx2Vxj48
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Really disappointed by how they portrayed Dormammu

Because everyone knows Parallax is Hal Jordan he won during Zero Hour and universes we've seen since is just Hal's attempts at making a more perfect universe.

Because Dr Strange was funny lol I came to bargain
and Green Hornet or whatever that movie was called was DUMB and RETARDED

You get a free pass for a lot of things when your plot heavily revolves around Magic.

why does a Green Lantern flop but an Ant-Man or Thor 2 succeed?

Are DC characters just that hard to bring to live action? If they go serious, it looks jarring. If they do light-hearted, it looks cheesy and cartoony. What gives?

I have the feeling they redesigned him b/c of Moana.

Magic gets a pass even though its not far from sci-fi?

also Doctor Strange felt very underwhelming for a "magic" movie.

Seems like they were trying to turn him into the Galactus of the MCU. Now that they're getting F4 back, they can have Dormammu back to how he's supposed to be.

I wonder what this means for Umar and Clea

So is this like that Batman/Black Panther thread from last week where no matter what reasons are given OP goes "but why is it okay though?! fucking marvel!!"

Because personally, I think it's a matter of evolving CGI. Green Lantern's CGI didn't even look good for its time. This was done like a decade later.

They literally show Dormammu crushing Strange with a giant fist in one of the scenes involving Dormammu killing Strange a bunch of times.

Not a floating head. He had shoulders and a torso.

The Dark Dimension is Dormammus dimension. He has damn near absolute power there. He’s always shown in the comics at various height and sizes. He clearly can manipulate how he looks

One was at the very least defeated in a creative way.

I don´t think people that knew Dormammu where Ok with him being just a giant face. Maybe we where more lenient because Doctor Strange was overall a better movie that Green Lantern.

but this isnt even about CGI. Its about the decision to take two cool-looking characters and making them giant faces. Yet Marvel is allowed to get away with it, and the GL movie wasnt.

Im a Marvel guy, but Im just wondering why this is.

Because Green Lantern was painful. Ant-Man and Thor 2 are just mediocre.
I almost walked out on GL.

If you want to sell yourself as a marvel guy you can't then use "get away with it" as your argument. It outs you too easily.

You need to understand that even in the comics, Parallax as an entity is kind of polarizing the fact that the decided to use it head first on the first Green Lantern movie seemed heavily unnecessary, Dormammu on the other hand was expected and his design isn't really loved by everyone.

>Doctor Strange was overall a better movie that Green Lantern
lol

>and his design isn't really loved by everyone.
This is the big thing that makes it obvious this is just a poor bait thread. Sup Forums had a month of threads bitching about Dormammu's redesign. Marvel didn't "get away with" anything.
In fact, I think the board complained about Dormammu's redesign for longer than they did Parallax's.

except I genuienly am a Marvel guy. I was raised on Spidey, Power Man and Iron Fist, Defenders, and Hulk. Im just asking a questing.

He still has the face lines.

>I was raised on easily googled normie things that are currently on netflix plz believe me i'm just sayin
I like bait threads but god you people should put more effort in. This isn't reddit. Shitposting may not strictly require nuance here, but it does deserve it.

Spidey is on Netflix? DIdnt think so. And by Defenders, I mean the original lineup with Hulk, Doctor Strange, Namor, etc.

I didnt enjoy the Netflix shows desu. They shat all over the non-Daredevil characters. Corny Luke Cage, non-martial arts/whiney Iron Fist and barely punishing Punisher?

isnt using Dormammu in the first Strange movie also unnecessary?

They wanted to blow their loads since it's obvious they weren't interested in investing in any more Strange movies.

But Strange is one of Fiege's supposed favorites and one of the properties that was meant to be a tentpole after RDJ and Evans retire

MCUnts are unable to spot flaws in their flawed movies.

and of course the best answer is ignored, fuck this place

This End the thread

>because he's Dormammu, duh
Yeah, the best answer ever.

youtu.be/yKAfwBPvsMA?t=112

Seriously, this place is filled with people with the attention span of a toddler.

1:53 to be more precise.

MCU fans don't read comics for the most part.

>Dormammu, I've come to bargain! How about I conjure for you a whole body, so you stop threatening Earth?

They were both shit. I would have forgiven Dormammu if they actually attempted his comic book design. They literally just splashed a generic CG monster on screen and called it a day.

>Card #69

What does it mean? And why have I spent my whole life thinking that Dormammu is supposed to have 4 arms? Is he not supposed to have 4 arms?

It's not like he can't come back in the future. He wasn't defeated for good, he was literally just bored into surrendering.

>b-b-but he made a bargain

Otherworldly beings are notoriously good at finding legal loopholes in these sorts of things.

Parallax was a greasy 'scientist' with liver failure and three different kinds of cancer for a good portion of the film. He then becomes a floating face. It didn't help that the rest of the movie was garbage

>ATTACK THE PROTAGONIST, HE COST US OUR JERBS
>Jordan is so devoid of imagination, he can't use the ring properly
>Everything is CGI, even when it's not necessary
>Now the Earth has a tumor!
>'Guys, how should I feel about theoretically saving the world and being amazing? I'm asking you plebs because I'm fucking stupid'

Meanwhile, Dormammu has the rest of his body, he's just too large for the vast majority of it to be seen.

Also, it's his dimension, he can choose how he looks. Plasma skull isn't so different from fire skull, except now he has the opportunities of enjoying stuff like a nose.

Besides, the effects and magic aesthetics in Strange revolved around fractals and stellar designs. Plasma dormammu fits that well, though I suppose flaming head dormmamu would have been good for a change in tone.

>People are defending the green lantern movie

Fuck off.

Yep. There's a legit reason why he's huge.

Not really, Strange fought him in his 15th issue. Only real villains he had before that were Mordo, Nightmare, and Loki.

What other reason is there?

Dormammu is constantly a different size in the comics almost anytime he pops up

Oh hey another giant ass Dormammu

More examples?

because Dormammu has the lines. He looked pretty much like a giant comics Dormammu.

That Parallax didn't look like any Parallax I read about. Not even the space bug form.

Is there an essential reading list for Parallax?

I'd like to read that whole saga.

Oh now he’s only like 8 feet tall here

Wonder how Dormammu does it, maybe magic or some shit

>Is there an essential reading list for Parallax?I'd like to read that whole saga.

Pretty much just this and you can get them all in trades:

1) Green Lantern: Emerald Twilight/New Dawn
2) Zero Hour: Crisis in Time
3) Final Night
4) Day of Vengeance
5) Green Lantern: Rebirth

It's magic!

Green Lantern production was a mess. According to Reynolds, the script was severely incomplete during filming.

At this size, all ups be able to see is his fucking head if that’s all you could see

Most Recent appearance of Dormammu. Doctor Strange #15

wtf is up with those long nails? Dormammu doesnt have personal hygiene?

He wasn't. That was a really shitty version.

This movie was boring as sin

now he looks like Jack O'lantern, not the best head design

Because one is made by marbel

I kept hoping he would change into the pic you posted, or something similar.

>and making them giant faces

We can literally see Dorm's hand for a split second, meaning the he has a full body; he's just gigantic.

Dormamu managed to have his Steve ditko wrinkle face. That alone makes it worth it.

I remember comic parallax was more a giant bug monster?

Because Parallax is a dumbass villain. Spacebug or giant face, he's always garbo.

Dormammu was a giant face to illustrate how he was one with his dimension. He's not IN the Dark Dimension, he IS the Dark Dimension.

Parallax was a giant cloud face because WB is retarded.

How do you guys imagine Dormammu sounding when reading, for me it’s his Marvel Heroes voice Robin Atkin Downes.

It’s a chilling, subdued but very terrifying presence and performance.

But he had a body.

Too much MAHVEL rotted my brain, so I only hear him as Michael T. Weiss. Going further than that, I can't imagine Dormammu without hearing the Jet Set remix.

youtube.com/watch?v=Qlrgx2Vxj48

I'm still buttblasted.

This. Parallax was a fucking stupid damage control to appease Halfags.

How is that not what we got? The movie version just has pupils.

I think the redesign was to avoid any false accusations of a link between Dormammu and Satanism. The Strange movie walked a very fine line regarding Christian Evangelical hysteria for the occult, and I think it pulled it off successfully.

The MCU Dormammu came off as Lovecraftian, rather than Satanic, and I think that worked well for the tone that the MCU established for its setting. Also I liked the fact that - even if it's a little hard to tell - Dormammu's face is modelled off of Strange's, which gives the implication that maybe Dormammu has no set form and just appears as being a corrupted doppleganger of whoever is looking at him. Maybe both time and identity are foreign concepts to Dormammu, concepts that outsiders 'bring in' to his dimension.

Overall, it's original and I liked it.

>a giant face is original
This is your average MCU defender.

>not reading what I said

A demon with a flaming head isn't exactly original either. Dormammu could be confused for Ghost Rider, the Flaming Torch, and Hades from Disney's Hercules.

It's still more than what Galactus got. Just a big hand made of clouds with a faint outline of his actual head somewhere deep inside it.

I'll always hear Ed Gilbert Dormammu.

Because MCU Dormammu at least kept it simple and relied on scale and cinematography to make their villain intimidating.

Movie Parallax was just some 13-year old edgelords concept art for his death metal album cover. If you put some spiky fontface on this guy I'd expect to find him in a record store bargain bin.

If he ever manages to leave, he can assume his classic form.

Probably because movie Parallax was just Krona after turning into an angry yellow fart cloud.

CGI hating/ "muh practical effects".

>giant faces