DC Announces New Prestige Format Miniseries THE OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE

>With DC Entertainment’s “DC in D.C.” event taking place this weekend, the publisher has announced a new miniseries titled The Other History of the DC Universe, written by Academy Award-winning screenwriter John Ridley. No artist has yet been announced for the series.

The miniseries aims to reexamine key parts of DC Comics history, now told through the lens of characters from minority and marginalized backgrounds. DC’s press release says the series will “analyze iconic DC moments and chart sociopolitical gains through the perspectives of DC Super Heroes who come from traditionally disenfranchised groups,” and focus “on the lives of those behind the costumes, and their endeavors to overcome real-world issues.”

>Supergirl, John Stewart, Extraño, Vixen, Katana and Rene Montoya are all named as DC characters included in the story. The series is scheduled to debut in winter 2018. The format and number of issues has not been revealed, but DC has dubbed it a “prestige comic book miniseries.”

>The scope of The Other History of the DC Universe fits the overall theme of the DC in D.C. event, which looks to unite entertainment and public service in Washington D.C., the federal capital of the United States.

>“I could not be more excited by the opportunity to excavate the canon of the DC Universe through a vast array of characters who’ve earned their seat at the table,” Ridley said in a statement. “I’m very impressed with DC’s commitment to making their history as reverent and urgent as it is engaging and entertaining for all its many fans.”

>Ridley is slated to discuss the series at “The Many Shades of Heroism: DC Heroes Through the African-American Lens” panel, scheduled to take place at 11 a.m. Eastern on Saturday, Jan. 13 as part of the DC in D.C. event.

Source: cbr.com/other-history-of-dc-universe-john-ridley/

Other urls found in this thread:

io9.gizmodo.com/john-ridleys-the-other-history-of-the-dc-universe-to-te-1822021969/amp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Neat.

This will probably be cool. I hope it's not to preachy any actually fits with the characters.

>inb4 Sup Forums

A self masturbatory tour de force of comics patting themselves in the back for "tackling serious issues" with all the subtlety and gravitas of a sledge hammer.

So like a DCU version of The American Way?

Cool.

Any noteworthy things Ridley’s written in particular?

Haha holy fucking shit. I'm speechless hahahahaha

>known for 12 Years a Slave

The American Way, and that's it because as a comic book writer, he penned a few more forgettable ones including another Wildstorm mini.

On the TV side of things, he's known for ABC's award-winning three-season anthology American Crime.

>what Sup Forums thinks will happen
>Katana "This reminds me of PEARL HARBOUR YOU WHITE PIGGUS"

>what will likely happen
>Katana is in Japan and reacting to Japanese families dying and trying to help

I'm honestly more interested in getting the reaction of the JSA to the atomic bombings, especially Starman as he finally figures out that the mushroom cloud nuking a city full of civies is his legacy.

Well fuck. At lest they're doing the smart thing and keeping the SJW stuff to the side outside of the main book.

This reeks of FUCKING WHITE MALE levels of hatred.

What they SHOULD write is the Outsiders meeting the JSA and Katana and Starman talking about what they did during Hiroshima.

See? That would be an interesting story divorced from identity politics, a story about characters instead of group identity.

Huh, interesting

>Supergirl, John Stewart, Extraño, Vixen, Katana, Montoya
I dunno about Supergirl, but it'd be nice to see Montoya again

>another soft reboot from DC

fuck off

How would Katana be alive when Hiroshima got bombed?

>Extraño
Neat. I'm placing all my eggs and hoping that Extraño makes magic cool again because Mystek U disappointed me.

1. Story takes place when Batman and the Outsiders took place, in the 80's, and she was a girl during Hiroshima

2. SLIDING TIME SCALE. She wasn't, but her parents were, and she remembers them telling her about it when she visited it and the origami crane memorial as a child.

Are you retarded?

One of the souls in the blade told her about it?

>Zatana's 7 soldiers mini showed how she could have a student and still go on jaunts through extra dimensions and fight Spectre level bad guys in huge Dr. Strange style fights.

>Naw lets have them learn magic in a university setting

God damn when will DC learn that it's at its best when its not afraid to be weird?

decided to look up Extrano
>On one mission in particular, [Extrano] was attacked by an "AIDS vampire" called the Homo-Goblin. He was subsequently confirmed to be HIV-positive

My only fear is that this won't deliver on it's promises and instead we get Batman and the same cast of characters we always get.

That would actually be an interesting way to do it.

Starman, being a hard science guy, wants to look at the magic soul stealing sword. Katana agrees and at first they're stiff around each other because Starman working on the Manhattan project is in history books and no one wants to talk about the elephant in the room.

Then Starman's tools bring up a soul that starts talking about Hiroshima, and suddenly they HAVE to talk about it.

Fucking retarded corny hackery

This would actually be great

>homo-Goblin
He was actually called the hemo-goblin but Homo-goblin might be more apt.

>I'm honestly more interested in getting the reaction of the JSA to the atomic bombings

That would make for pretty interesting character studies. Like, Starman (and his whole family) live the the guilt, maybe Wildcat or Green Lantern would have seen it as a "necessary evil" and that "it's different when you're at war", and have Flash talk about how he wished he could have known, so he could have saved the civilians without the government knowing he was there.

John Ridley is without a doubt one of the most inconsistent writers in film/tv. Also chances are this will probably be very much focused on race and the issues regarding it since that's one of the things he's really known for

That's what I've been saying.

>character studies
That's the word I'm looking for. I think, well, I hope this book would be a character study and less wahh whitey

I'm fine with that as I always wanted to know how the civil right movement would go down in a cape setting.

Will it be Mature Readers-rated at least?

It's about damn time!

>John Ridley's The Other History of the DC Universe to Tell Personal Stories of Marginalized Superheroes

>Oscar-winning screenwriter John Ridley has been writing an excellent politically charged superhero story in The American Way: Those Above and This Below. For his next DC project, he’s going to get inside the heads of John Stewart, Renee Montoya, Katana and others to see what it feels like to be a superhero when you’re not just another white guy.

>Ridley’s current American Way project is the sequel to a 2006 miniseries and has looked at how living with racism and political oppression affects the motivations of people with superpowers. (I’ve been talking with him about it in a series of interviews.) If The Other History of the DC Universe channels that same ethos, it should be a very fresh and energetic look at characters who’ve stood apart from their peers.

io9.gizmodo.com/john-ridleys-the-other-history-of-the-dc-universe-to-te-1822021969/amp

There's definitely going to be some "whites have treated us like shit" in the book, but I doubt it'l be SJW-boogeyman levels of Katana shreaking about lynching whites for revenge and Montoya with 17 hair colors burning down Gotham PD with a blowtorch in her pussy talking about how Gordon is a rapist for having sired a son that he named after himself.

>to see what it feels like to be a superhero when you’re not just another white guy.

Starting with that premise always ends well.

>we want the America audiance

Yeah, they acknowledged how that was kinda fucked back in that Pulse Shooting charity special a while back, so the possibility that they might outright tackle that shit genuinely has my interest.

Just read The New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke

This so much.

Starman, ever the good scientist, tries to rationalize it to himself at first but breaks down in tears in private. Wildcat might see it as a necessary evil. He did frame a guy for murder once. I actually see Alan as being pissed, almost pulling a Kingdom Come Superman on the White House, pissed because the brass wouldn't wait for his team to handle the invasion themselves.

He probably helped a lot with the Macarthur plan. It would be great to see him, Fate, and Johnny Thunder rebuilding stuff after the war and talking about it.

Jay might have actually saved a few people. Someone leaked what was happening to him at the last second and he speed forced his ass over there, nearly killing himself to save a handfull of people in the microsecond the bomb detonated.

What I really want to know is what Jim Corrigan would do.

The premise is literally identity politics. It's going to suck and suck hard.

Do we know what time periods this book will cover?

12 Years a Slave wasn't cartoony about any of the issues, and Ridley wrote episodes of Justice League cartoon, Static Shock cartoon, and wrote The American Way. Take that what you will.

>Not just another white guy

It says a lot about the writer that characters as diverse and strange as Batman, Superman, Flash, and Green Lantern are "just other white guys".

>Who've stood apart from their peers

HA HA HA OH WOW!

>What would the Spectre do

See absolutely nothing wrong with Hiroshima and laugh like a madman as the bombs dropped. His chapter would present the perspective of the bombs as the cold hand of justice descending on Japan for her crimes against humanity.

I already did and now I want more the same. That's how business work and exactly why DC is publishing this.

Sup Forums would be the board excited for something penned by fucking john ridley, he's fine when he clearly is co-writing with someone but by himself he is full on hack

It would be nice to see non-white characters who aren't vaguely a stereotype in some way. Like, a group of Mexican superheroes don't have to have Bandito-Man, Senorita Salsa, Dr. Day of the Dead, and Slow-poke Rodriguez all the time. Also, certain perspectives are better with minority heroes.

Like, at this point, the whole "Spider-Man is a MENACE" serves for better angst for Miles. Miles would honestly have better stories if part of his character was that both inside and outside of the suit he was always called a menace and a criminal, with him questioning if he should even bother saving people if that's who society will always view him. For Peter, it's just boring at this point for the guy who (as SpOck proved) could literally get rich off of variations of his tech and be a B-Tier Tony Stark guy to still be crying about how no-one appreciates him.

I'm beginning to think you just have a problem with a black guy talking about race.

This is my only problem with it, the concept is sensible but the execution will likely be empty.

Why are white people so fucking triggered anytime someone wants to tell a story about discrimination and marginalized people? Anytime race is brought up people like you screech about identity politics.

I don't see the point of this. So they're retreading old, good stories in a new light which likely won't be good? Why not just tell a completely original story with these characters? I know I'd be more interested that way.

Fuck that, DC doesn't need to be bogged down with social justice MUH RACISM and white guilt.

No one complained when Marvels did it.

Everyone complained when Marvel did it and their sales show.

That was nearly 24 years ago and had a competent creative team, but yeah sure completely the same scenario

Because when the left plays identity politics they lose and lose hard if they allow Whitey to get a word in edgewise.

You want to talk about privilege? How about how Asians have to work twice as hard as blacks to get into college because of affirmative action? How about how whites pay more in taxes than they take out in benefits while blacks are the reverse? How about black criminality, how whites are far more likely to be assaulted or raped by blacks than the other way?

Whites don't normally want to play the identity politics game. White culture is big on individuality.

But you play the "straight white males are only oppressors" game whites are going to start pushing back.

And whites always, always win once they do.

Identity politics only works for the left when Whitey shuts up. And he's not anymore, which is why the left is dying a slow an undignified death in America.

>they're retreading old, good stories in a new light which likely won't be good?

That’s not what it said. And just because it’s looking back on history doesn’t mean they won’t be original stories with these characters.

>”Omg I’m just feeling so attacked right now”

>being this new

>extraño
The first gay superhero is back

Kevin Kho was a survivor of cambodian genocide IIRC. Wonder if that'll make it into this.

>sjw propaganda trash

let it be known that Marvel isn't the only one doing this now

>Le identity politics boogeyman
Being white is identity politics. You're thinking in identity politics right now.

>being this casual that you don’t know what Marvels is and think user was not referencing the miniseries
Loving every laugh

>”we can’t discuss topics a mini did 20 some years ago because reasons”
Haha

Oh for fucks sake get off of your Sup Forums soapbox you insecure fuck. No one gives a shot.

>Whites don't normally want to play the identity politics game. White culture is big on individuality.

condescending laughter.exe

>another “this is why Trump won rant”

At this point I think it would be fun to play a 10 degrees from Kevin Bacon game to see what is the most distanced topic from politics that some stupid Sup Forumssmoker takes it upon themselves to twist around into being a platform to let us know how the plight of being a straight white male in the world. So far the winner has been early Ducktales reboot threads.

I think that’s the point he’s making
White culture is big on individuality. Or more accurately western culture is. It’s why the idea of limited government is only really a thing in the West, especially with whites in the US, but it does exist in Western Europe with people who still want a society that strives for the enlightenment idea of liberalism.

>Ducktales reboot threads
Ducktales are getting rebooted?

Have you been in prison or a coma for the past six to nine months?

>I've never seen that movie the post

A key message in that movie is not all white men were evil, that some of them just inherited the business but didn't enjoy it.

>I think that’s the point he’s making.
He literally said that white people don't engage in identity politics so no.

Can't wait to see white people get fuckin' DESTROYED, biiisshhh.

>"White culture is big on individuality."
>he says this when the biggest successes of White societies occurred under the auspices of monarchs and monolithic culture
The absolute state of American "intellects".

>Supergirl, John Stewart, Extraño, Vixen, Katana and Rene Montoya
I'm down with this line up though. If the art is good and the previews look interesting I might get it.

>White culture is big on individuality. Or more accurately western culture is.
White people are so big on individuality that they take recognition for all of western culture.

Wasn’t cartoony? It added a rape that never happened because whites be rapists. It’s as subtle as a sledgehammer.

Marvel decay started like this.
Godspeed.

I thought he meant “white people don’t like to get involved in identity politics”
Not saying I agree with him at all btw
>what is the Magna Carta

IT's not even funny how much this is needed.
Untangling the timeline of how things work post N25/rebirth is a nightmare.

I doubt this will actually untangle the whole mess, but it might provide some insight into what happened when

Being white IS identity politics.

I’m talking about invidual rights and liberties not cultural identity.
Besides, what are you comparing the West to? China ? India? ok, that is a better example of the accomplishments of a single nation/culture (still in existence) but you aren’t going to find many others. And even then it’s not like Europeans claiming ownership is anywhere near subsaharan Africans in the United States claiming their ancestors were the real Egyptians.

>Being white is identity politics

It is NOW, because after decades of letting blacks and latinos and women play identity politics white males are picking up the game as well.

That was his point. For decades white males have been fine not playing identity politics, but that's changing, and its changing in a way that's going to utterly destroy the left in America.

>hemo-goblin
damn that's good too

>No one gives a shit

>Condescending laughter

>Let us know how the plight of being a straight white male in the world

The fact that you don't understand how white males ARE being held down and oppressed shows that the next few decades are going to be really rough for you and your wife's family.

He's a lefty, he can't into individual rights and liberties.

Western white culture is the Federation in Star Trek. Asians, South Americans, Sub-Saharan Africans, all the rest are collectivists.

Israel has walls. Japan is proudly collectivist and xenophobic. Whites have for a long, long time embraced diversity.

That time is coming to an end. They expected minorities to be as pro-diversity as they are and its bit them in the ass. Minorites clanned up and attacked Whitey, and now Whitey is going to start doing the same.

Didn't they already do this? I remember in some anthology series they had a running story that detailed DC storylines from citizens' perspective, like Marvels did.

What's good and I mean what's really good my nigga is that Hemo-Goblin make the old conspiracy therory *Wink wink* of the government deliberately creating the AIDS virus to Target the black and gay communities true.
This is some shit Grant Morrison would write.

These are the best way to tell superhero stories.
>Gotham Central
>Chase, which is fucking awesome and really go find it and read it.
>Checkmate
>Human defense Corps

>American Way
>12 Years a Slave
>American Crime
>Undercover Brother
>Justice League Starcrossed
>That one Static Shock Episode with Toy Man
>Episodes of the Fresh Prince and Martin

>The fact that you don't understand how white males ARE being held down and oppressed shows that the next few decades are going to be really rough for you and your wife's family.

What's sadder is that you don't realize everyone is being oppressed and pitted against each other, and you're eating that shit up hook line and sinker.

The American Way is literally that

>That one Static Shock Episode with Toy Man

Ho shit!

Based. Marvel is finished.

I'm excited for this... Hopefully this will build off of the work Steve Orlando did salvaging Extrano...

>Extraño

Wouldnt Vibe make more sense?

You know, I WANT to be open-minded, but I can't help but fear it'll be some cringey shit like John Stewart musing on the fact that coverage of Superman's death completely eclipsed the Rodney King beating, or something equally awful.

Are you sure he's gay? He seems as butch as Snagglepuss.

Which Checkmate run?

DC has done it before, and done it decently. Just inserting Superheroes into already pre-existing historical events. I think the best example was Amazing Man in JSA.

Sounds pretty cool.

you called it

>Peter Spider is the beloved mascot of the city
>Miles Spider is the hated otherized menace who has to stealth around

That's actually a really clever idea.

God damn can you be any more fucking casual?

>See? That would be an interesting story divorced from identity politics, a story about characters instead of group identity.

Not really.

Spectre's story would be about who to punish, who is truly responsible. Does he punish the pilots who dropped the bombs? The scientists who created them? The government for ordering its creation and use? The Japanese for instigating the war with America? God for giving mankind the freewill to do terrible things?

Can Spectre punish God? Isn't his gimmick heaven's righteous rage?

I'm in