What are some examples of good legacy characters? What are some failures? Why?

What are some examples of good legacy characters? What are some failures? Why?

Good?
>Black Canary
>Zatanna
>The Flash
>Blue Beetle
>Ghost Rider
And its not really hard to figure out why some are good and others are bad; good legacies stand on their own, have their own way of dealing with problems, their own struggles, and their not just copies that feel the need to shit on their predecessor to appear superior.

Good:
Pass the torch after the original has been gone for a long time, or the original sicks around as a mentor.

Bad:
Replacement that shows up as soon as the old
dies or quits.

A few break this rule, but it stands for the most part.

Muslim Ms.Marvel is shit so is black spider-man
Nu-Nova is cool

Which poster is that image parodying? Pretty sure I've seen that pose before

Miles, riri, whor, all shit. Kamala has potential because shes cute and no one even liked the original ms marvel, but she needs to be taken away from her crazy white culture appropriating writer

Reminds me of army of darkness, but it is most likely something else

The original Star Wars poster?

Starman, Blue Beetle, and Dickbat are the gold standard.

Eh, I don't count Black Canary as legacy character cause she is literally original Black Canary retconed into daughter of original Black Canary.

Fuck you, kamala is fine. She is like billy Batson of marvel universe, she doesn't need to be serious.

Why do you like one but not the other two?

It's a classic genre pose in general, but I don't know what image in specific it's a homage to.

I can see the similarities but I'm under the impression I saw the exact same pose, someone looking to the side holding a gun and people holding this person's legs

Perhaps the cover of a Buck Rodgers or similar pulp novel?

>Good example
Bucky Barnes as Captain America

>Bad example
Falcon as Captain America

I was literally saying i like kamala, all i also said is she should probably get another writer

There no writer that could write her better. Hasting? Maybe.

Other way around senpai. Falcon was Cap's sidekick for decades; Bucky was a brainwashed murderer for a hostile foreign power. Sam fit the role a lot better.

>her crazy white culture appropriating writer

Isn't her writer appropriating Muslim and Pakistani culture?

I worded it wrong, im saying she is white and is appropriating muslim culture, which according to liberal logic they should hate her

Not him but I disagree. I like Sam the way he is, as Falcon. Bucky taking up the mantle is like him trying to better himself and follow his friend's footsteps

Wilson writes Ms. Marvel fine, what are you talking about?

Are you saying Miles is a good legacy character? His series is boring, it's just Miles having familly issues with Bendis' OC and pets as guest.

>Falcon was Cap's sidekick for decades
Sure he's legitimate, but it doesn't make him de facto a good legacy character.

We could say the same thing to bucky, he should stay as bucky.

He's BLACK you dummy

I never thought Falcon worked as a Cap since he never really ditched the Falcon thing. He looked more like an America-themed bird guy but not really a Captain America.

Hal Jordan, Wally West, Kendra Hawkgirl, Stargirl, Johnny Storm, all seemed to work

I liked 80's Hobgoblin,

I don't really count hal jordan or the flash as legacy characters. they are just heroes that got the same name.

Good answer.
What makes a good legacy character?
So?

It also helps when the successor is somebody we've gotten to know first like Dick, Wally or Laura. A brand new character can work but they ought to have a little set-up before they jump into someone else' shoes.

That's my instinct to, but then there's characters like Jamie Reyes or Kong Keenan who work despite being newbies.

>flash as legacy characters
>just heroes that got the same name
Wally is basically the quintessential legacy character, if you don't consider him one you either haven't read a Flash comic in your life, or don't know a legacy character is.

I was talking about Barry and the original flash.

what the fuck do you consider to be a legacy?

>Hal
>Johnny
>Hobgoblin
>Legacy

Passing the mantle to another hero. Original green didn't pass the mantle to hal jordan. They literally just have same name.

Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, Ray Palmer, and Katar Hol invented the core concept of the legacy hero.

How are they not?

So? I don't think you got the point. Hal jordan got nothing to do with original green lantern beside the name. Through Barry get his name from the original flash comic. So, he is kind of a legacy character?

She would be stoned for being promiscuous, for letting men who are not her husband touch her leg and hip.

With this logic nearly every Legacy hero is not a legacy at all because they were not personal sidekicks of the previous guy.

So every Killer Frost, Atom, Firestorm, Dr Fate, Starman, Kyle Rayner, along with new Kamala, Nova, Hawkeye, Cho Hulk, have no right to the name because they are just some rando that used the name.

Nearly everyone short of Grayson Batman and Wally Flash have no right to their name and are therefore not a legacy.

They're more like the same character but from an alternate reality.

user, it is clear that you are just not getting the concept of what a legacy character is.

If Marvel were to ever have a character name Spider-Man, Thing, or Thor and use them as a new version of a past character then that is a legacy. There are no story-driven torch passings needed for the title.

what about post crisis versions who were named after guys from the 40s with the same powers?

the thing is, Jaime (at least in the original timeline) had the help of Ted's friends and Dan's granddaughter to follow honor Beetles' legacies (and he also had very different powers and problems to deal with than Ted or Dan, making him distinct), while Keenan is a very specific twist on the legacy formula: a knockoff from a culture famous for producing knockoffs, and grows from there.

That's why they work.

As soon as Wilson isn't writing her, you know that they'll give the character to Mark Waid. Is that what you want, user? Is it?

It is like saying ultimate spiderman is legacy character. It really not.

Nobody gives a shit about your edgy 90s comics grandpa.

How about Kamela, or Sam, or Robbie Reyes?

Why does Miles work sometimes and not others?

Who didn't work at all?

Miles is a legacy you fucking dumbshit

Like every third Frazetta painting you’ve ever seen.

>comprehending this level of unaware

What really pisses me off about Sam is that he could have been a good Captain America.

I think the new Nova was one of the few new Marvel legacy characters done well. I also honestly thought that Falcon made a good Captain America. Aside from marvel, I think that the Flash and Robin are two of the best done legacy heroes. Whenever there is a new flash, it is because it felt necessary at that time. What also helps is that a lot of the time the character to take up the mantle is already a well established character in the universe. With Wally and Bart. Robins are good to because they never feel wasted and always somehow end leaving the role. It feels like less of a permanent role and more of a student role under batman, and they kind of 'graduate' once they take up their own mantle.

Sure.

Peter Parker is not a legacy of Peter Parker, but Miles is exactly a legacy regardless of what world he comes from

I was talking about ultimate Peter parker

Well, Pete was the very first Ultimate Spidey, i think that user was talking about him.

Okay fine, it's like calling movie Christopher Reeve Suprman a legacy of comic silver age Superman.

>little girl wolverine with flowers

damn it, it's so fucking stupid

And?

I feel like Nova works, because it is not usually one guy, but a whole corp of people. It also helped that he wasn't the a Mary Sue and he is still learning about how to be a hero and control his power. He has flaws and he respects Rich's legacy and the legacy of the corp as a whole.

Know what happened last time someone else was writing Kamala? Read Champions and find out. As much as she triggers Sup Forumsacks who come here and shit up Sup Forums Wilson is a great writer for Ms Marvel.

I liked both Remander's run and Spencers. Cap Falcon was head and shoulders ahead of Hydra Cap.

>but a whole corp of people
That's why people doesn't have any problem with Lantern and Nova.

That does not make them legacy, that just means they are a part of the club. There is no passing of a damn thing among them, they get the title like officer, senator etc

I'm not a fan of any of these, but from what I hear, Kamala has worked rather well, I suppose because she's like Jaime, doing her own thing rather than being a brown redo of Carol.

Sam however was a brownish redo of Rich, and guess what, the only time he worked was when he teamed up with Rich.

Robbie also I hear was good, but didn't get the chance to do his thing properly.

But FUCK Miles, he's just a retread of Peter but less interesting and more overpowered.

Kyle certainly was a legacy character, due to the way he was introduced. Every other GL is indeed just part of the Corps, rather than a legacy.

>But FUCK Miles, he's just a retread of Peter but less interesting and more overpowered.

Peter had good stories back then. Miles... It's just a black guy having familly issues with Bendis' OC and pets as guest.

and he's implying the other guy is a racist.

Same for Sam (Nova)
His dad was a Nova and he took his helmet.

I should add if it was inspired by hero. Then yeah, it is legacy. But, if it is name alone? No, it is not.

The problem with Sam wasn't Sam, the problem was Spencer, Remender's Captain Falcon was good.

Just admit it you dont like him because he's black.

As shit as Miles and Kamala turned into, Nu-Nova is literally "baww i can't stop suffering": the character. They're all bad, and your taste is still shit.

Her writer is a muslin woman

A converted white woman.

'Sup Bendis

Which makes sense. I'd say that Barry and Hal are hard to qualify in regard to legacy characters; When Barry and Hal were first introduced I don't think it would have counted since they didn't pick up the mantle from someone else, Alan and Jay didn't lose it the company just made them an alternate universe. But then after Crisis on Infinite Earths and before the New 52 as well as post-rebirth I'd say they again are legacy characters since in those periods Jay, Barry, Hal, and Alan coexist in the same universe(Well the first 3 do/did and it seems they will again at some point relatively soon so I think Alan is a safe bet too). So they get an asterix, but I think they fit on the list of legacy characters, though I can easily see why there's so much disagreement.

Extra: By how I've thought of it I have considered Miles Morales to be a legacy character, but with an asterix noting that he wasn't a 616 legacy character, just like Thomas Wayne Batman is only a legacy character on Earth 2 and not Earth Prime.

Ah thanks, internet talk can be difficult in that way.

Monica Rambeau is a good example of a bad way to add a Legacy character but surprising the character worked.

The main problem with legacy characters is capeshit readers are scared of change. Marvel fucked up by changing too much shit in too short of a period of time.

If they had female Thor by herself, whatever. Everyone knows that shit is temporary. But Marvel threw a bunch of legacy characters at their readers all at once and capeshitters couldn't handle it.

I never read her origin - what was bad about it?

Donna Troy
oh wait

Wally West
oh wait

>the character worked
Being a C-list character during decades is not what i call a success.

Did she work, though? I'm willing to bet money that all of her fans are from Nextwave, which takes a liquid shit on the origins of all of its pre-existing characters.

Wally West was a stellar legacy character for ages, until they decided to fuck with him.

Unless you mean the other Wally West.

She was created the same year that Mar-Vell died, I consider that a bad way to add a Legacy character because she came out of nowhere.

After Mar-Vell she was the best Captain Marvel, as a Legacy character I consider her a success, too bad they are pushing Carol now, I would love to see her as Cap Marvel again and Carol as Warbird.

Under this idiot definition X-Men are a legacy of Doom Patrol, Aquaman is a Namor legacy, Dr Strange is a Dr Fate Legacy, Kyle Rayner is a Spider-Man legacy, and Spawn is a Venom legacy

you are a fucking idiot

How does that make any sense?

Jesus fuck, user.

Miles was inspired by Peter's sacrifice and took the Spider-Man mantle. That's a legacy.

Sure, Hal isn't Alan's legacy, and Barry isn't Jay's. They were first alternate universe versions, closer to being like Superman -> Superbro than Batman -> Dickbats. Post-Crisis they were mostly unrelated (Hal more so than Barry), comparable to Spider-Man and Spiderwoman.

But Miles is DIRECTLY a legacy character, because his origin as a character and as a hero is DIRECTLY related to Peter's story. He's like Jaime Reyes in his original version: even though he got his powers by accident, he was inspired by Ted and Dan's history as heroes to accept his situation and follow their footsteps.

I mean I'm autistic enough to write all this shit but you're beyond autism.

>What are some examples of good legacy characters
none of your pic related

because he was so american in ... letting people not take in illegal aliens b/c muh racism

Ask the dumbass that claims totally unrelated characters in every fucking way are somehow legacy

How can you say Miles isn't a legacy of Peter?

Alan Scott --> Hal Jordan
Jim Hammond --> Johnny Storm
Green Goblin --> Hobgoblin

If this was bait, congratulations, you got me. If not, then holy shit pick up a comic book.

Hal Met Alan three years after his first appearance, and Alan is from another universe, in an unrelated book, from a totally different company at the time. They literally have nothing in common outside of name. He is not a fucking legacy of a character he never met before

Johnny Storm same shit while also having different powers.

And Hobby is a joke imitation of a long dead character (at the time) with absolutely no torch passing of any kind whatsoever.

And if you have ever read anything outside of a wiki article you would know this.

>What are some examples of good legacy characters?

Cassandra Cain

She took up a mantle that was vacant for decades and didn't try to be an imitation of her predecessor but X. She was her own character, with her own arc and her own stories and it wouldn't have mattered what you called her because in her prime she was a good character with good books.

You just went full retard
Never go full retard

>i just don't like black people

got it