How is General Grievous a complete coward who's all growls and no fangs in the prequel movies...

How is General Grievous a complete coward who's all growls and no fangs in the prequel movies, yet a competent and threatening menace in Tartatovsky's Clone Wars?

It doesn't make sense for him to have two personalities. He should either be one or the other.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WIj7gIDFDe4&ab_channel=ThreeCatProductions
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It isn't canon
In the canon cartoon he's just as pathetic as he is in the movie
Yes it sucks

Because Genndy probably only had the concept art and probably a bare bones summary about him being a droid general that collects jedi lightsabers to work with for his short.

It also why the cape is a different color and matches early concept art versus the one in ROTS being black on the outside and red.in the inside.

>not liking a call back to mustache twirling villains of old

Except for the one scene in RotS where they forgot to recolor the cape (when he's coming back into the ship)

I'd be fine with that personality if he wasn't so weak
He couldn't even kill fucking Ahsoka

>It isn't canon.

But in the movie, he is grasping his chest and coughing a lot, and at the end of clone wars mace windu force crushes his chest. Would it make sense that that is why he is sick and coughing in Revenge of the Sith? Because his chest got crushed by Mace in the Clone Wars series?

They way they justify it is at the end of the cartoon he gets most of his organs crushed by Mace Windu via the force. Still dumb though.

I wish that were the case but Grevious was coughing and shit during the TCW cartoon too iirc, which is before he got crushed by Windu in CW

It’s a very prequel trilogy explanation though.
Like explaining how Sidious is a wrinkled old mess in the original trilogy because he electrocuted himself at the end of the prequels

You know which cartoon I'm talking about.

youtube.com/watch?v=WIj7gIDFDe4&ab_channel=ThreeCatProductions

But he was coughing during the cartoon as well. Maybe that should be considered an oversight.

He is a menacing Jedi killer in the movies, as well as an extraordinary general. It's just that we never see him do shit besides get his ass beat, like Boba.
The only Jedi he fights in the movie is Obi-Wan who has had experience fighting him and knows he's a non-sensitive punk who uses fear tactics

You do get a more calculating version in the Labyrinth of Evil novel. Which also I think folds into the Dooku v Grievous sparring episode.

Genndyfags will never GTFO.

Sadly.

Well yeah, in this instance the "Genndyfags" are right
Just compare
with
Instead of a fun exciting villain we got the shittiest villain in the franchise
Somehow he's even shittier in TCW than he is in ROTS

He gets force smushed by Obi One at the end of the animated series, so by the time the movies roll around, he's 3/4ths dead and scared to death of getting force smushed again...thus he appears out of character in the movies.

I mean, you did watch ALL of the Clone Wars cartoon, right?

The problem with Grievous is "Plot Armor Characters". He can't kill them because of movies. He has beaten a number of people in Both 2D & 3D. Ahsoka, Obiwan, Adi, Eeth, Nadar and a few others.

And he has good leadership and strategy skills. Just gotta stop with the damn armor spam. Look at the Maul Comic and Utapah ARC. He is great. And massacre on Dathomir.

Anybody have a MEGA or something for Genndywars?

Mace Windu uses the force to crush his respiratory system and other internal mechanisms. He never fully recovered from the damage done to his last few organic components.

My big problem is that the movie didn't at least show his competence as a strategic general. They mention that he's changing the shape of the war, but none of his accomplishments are shown on screen.

Blame Lucas for that
Literally the entire reason he was created was just so they could give Obi a reason to not be around when Anakin took a nosedive

He is not much of a general even in the old EU where he is committing atrocities like shooting down evacuation ships, ambushes at hyperspace arrival points and droid terror attacks. He is just more bark than bite and the fall guy for the atrocities of the Separatists..

Are there any Star Wars villains that didn’t go out like bitches? Vader doesn’t count cause he became good in the end

I will never find the part when he fight with his feet while doing a hand stand not funny

He kills a bunch of jedi, how the fuck is he a coward?

Its because he wasn't written in the films by the time he showed up int he cartoons o they literally only had his design to work with.

In this scene they added a bit were Dooku tells him to always retreat unless victory si assured.

But I mean funny in a bad way, it looks stupid and ruins the whole tension

I didn't call him a coward

But he is
They literally call him that in-show a bunch of times, he always runs from fights or cheats
The only Jedi I remember him successfully killing is that rando Calamari Padawan

This seems to be the explanation. Genndy got a concept sketch and ran with that. Hell at the time I think the main SW people were mad because Clone Wars made everyone like those versions of the characters better than the movie. Part of me feels they nerfed Grievous just to spite Genndy for out-cooling them.

That's a dumb thing to think, since both were made at the very same time.

No they weren't, they may have been in production at the time but one came out and hit audiences first. Clone Wars set up fans for disappoint it seems.

TCW blatantly ignored this before the legacy rebranding.

That sounds cool user

>cheats
This is just silly. There's no such thing as cheating in war. Having an "honorable" fight when there are millions of lives hanging on the outcome is absolutely retarded.

In-universe, wasn't the Clone Wars cartoon a propaganda story by that kid from Dantooine?

He probably portrayed Grievous as terrifying because he had a terrifying reputation. While TCW/ROTS Grievous is closer to who he actually is. A potent enemy to be sure, cutting through dozens of clones, curb-stomping knights, and besting several masters, but not good enough to curb-stomp six Jedi at the same time and prone to breaking and running if things go the wrong way. For example, the battle of Hypori is still canonical, but I think the "real" version of it involved Grievous fighting a lot dirtier against exhausted foes.

The Jedi are just buttmad. Fleeing when you're obviously losing isn't being a coward, nor is applying your advantages. The Jedi do the same damn thing every other time they fight him and it looks like he's winning. See for example Kit Fisto ganging up on him with a Jedi Knight and a dozen clone commandos in "Lair of Grievous", Obi Wan running away after Grievous lands a good hit and starts pushing him back in a duel in "Bound for Rescue", and Obi Wan trying to stab him while his back is turned after siccing an army of clones in gunships on him and his tiny force in "The Deserter".

It's canon to the objectively superior Legends continuity which is the only thing that matters.

Jar Jar

It was in-universe propaganda in Legends.

The Emperor got thrown down a bottomless shaft on his own doomsday weapon and then released a giant blast of Dark Side energy before reaching the floor, and in the process scored a mutual kill with Darth Vader.

Other way around. The CGI Clone Wars series was Imperial propaganda according to West End games. Gendy's series is canon to the Legends continuity.

when did shaggy become a jedi?

ALL of Star Wars is like that with most characters:

-Boba Fett
-Jango Fett
-Snoke
-Palpatine somewhat

Just to name some. SW loves to build up these huge badasses who end up looking like complete jobbers on-screen.

After he reached Ultra Instinct

He was only in one movie, and the prequels were crowded as fuck already with sith (Maul, Dooku, Sheev and then Ani)

When you are fighting against cheaters who can literally predict future, you need to know when to retreat. Taryakovsky cartoon is not canon, but it explained that perfectly.

You know what sucks? I loved the idea of Genndy's Grievous being essentially the horrible product of a war that large. That when you have so many warriors fighting each other, eventually something will escalate, like a creature that essentially steals elements from Droids and Jedi. It made him that much scarier to me how the Jedi didn't know how to handle something as unique as him.

Lucas Grievous is just Bad General #26484 with zero competence and a neat voice.

>TCW Maul is better than TPM Maul because he isn't just a silent badass killer
>GenndyGrevious is better than LucasGrevious because he's just a silent badass killer

damn...

Only faggots complain about Grievous, he’s a great villain in ROTS just because he doesn’t kill anyone doesn’t mean he isn’t a charismatic villain

He’s basically jamaican vampire cyborg Skeletor ffs

These people are fucking simians, what do you expect? Every single SW character could be a silent badass killer and they’d eat the shit up

Sheev killed Vader and almost killed Luke before dying, and even then exploded into a badass wave of blue energy.

>GenndyGrevious
>Silent
Wut? He talks a fair bit. His voice is even better than the movie version.

I like villains who are outclassed but still manage to win by being underhanded and unconventional.
Grievous got his fair share of wins in TCW which anyone who actually watched the show could tell you. He just wasn't some invincible killing machine like in the 2D series.
>BUT HE'S A COWARD
According to salty Jedi.

I really like Genndy and his series, but his obnoxious fanboys can eat a dick.

>both were made at the very same time
>no they weren't, they were in production at the same time
Are you one of those brainlets I keep hearing about?

>He gets force smushed by Obi One at the end of the animated series

user, I think you might be the one that didn't watch it.

Grievous routinely taunted his enemies in the cartoon, which I can only assume you didn't actually watch.

Once. He did it once.

That pic does things to me.

This is why I don't like Star Wars. It TELLS us that the characters are strong, legendary leaders and heroes and villains, but it SHOWS us a bunch of idiots. The Jedi council was made up of idiots who were destroyed by a stupid plan by evil idiots. The evil idiots built a big stupid laser that the idiot resistance fighters destroy in an unnecessarily risky dumb plan. The force hypothetically gives the Jedi extrasensory abilities, except that 99% of the time it doesn't and the supposedly strongest Jedi in the universe get blindsided by junkers or teddy bears. I could go on.

I blame the EU for tricking people into thinking generic action movie characters have any real depth.

Wood is better.

I never did like the EU

>I blame the EU for having good writing and giving depth to characters

woah

Did I stutter? The EU fleshed out a bunch of bullshit from the movies.

Now if you ask a nerd about that bullshit, they say, "No no no, you see, Boba Fett did this..." as if the reason the EU authors came up with for why the movie bullshit might have happened forgives the movie for that bullshit. But the movie writers never intended any of those explanations and the bullshit is still bullshit.

>two counsil members, Aayla secura, K'Kruhk, and two mook jedi all beaten by grievous in a head-on battle

just how powerful is Obi-Wan?

jezz meanie head, maybe tone down the ego trip.

It isn't explicitly stated which series...the takeaway is you choose whichever you like more and chalk up contradictions as propaganda

The idea is great in concept, but I never felt like Grievous fit that bill in TCW. He just felt like a generic Saturday morning cartoon villain as opposed to a distinguished general.

I still stand with I loved the idea that the war escalated to a point where someone as extraordinary and dangerous like Grievous would exist.

The CGI series is more popular, well known and has a TON of contradictions with the rest of the Legends continuity. Gendy's doesn't have any that I can think of.

This was a way to excuse all the contradictions the CGI series introduced (completely changing the Mando's, Clone Troopers only being bad cos of chips etc) as Imperial propaganda before the official creation of the Legends continuity.

Though even with the Imperial propaganda explanation I still just find it easier to not count any of the CGI series in the Legends continuity.

RotS Grevious>TCW Grevious

listen to the DVD commentary. Something like they had the bare minimum of background and info on the character (mostly off screen in his debut). Only known to collect jedi sabers and was made into badass.

The very last minute detail given to Tartatovsky is his cough and thrown into Clone Wars cartoon last minute to tie it into Ep3.

But Ep3 never gives the impression that Grievous was just in a altercation and had taken a significant injury.

While Clone Wars project under Genndy was meant to be the official canon at the time it was replaced by Lucas's version.

It's my personal head cannon that with Dooku's training, Grevious has the dueling ability of an average or slightly above average jedi knight.
But combined with all the benefits of an advanced droid body, intimidation that could make a jedi unbalanced in composure, and a diabolical cunning nature he can rival jedi masters.
It's a shame he's flanderized into non threatening jobberbot with basic craftiness.
On an off note I'd just like to say that I love how he was practically darth vader foreshadowing
who felt like he was his own character despite being there for the sake of foreshadowing.
>a high ranking cyborg with a breathing quirk
>anakin thinks he's a monster and obi wan even says he's become the monster he sought to destroy
>grevious has yellow menacing eyes
>anakin even gains yellow menacing eyes later in the film
>both suffer a fiery death( technicly anakin is completely reborn as vader but I digress)

Anyways that was my thoughts on Grevious.
It's not on the same level as that treasure planet arm guy but I have something of an endearing interest in Grevious.
I've ran out of things to say but thank you for reading through this long ass thing.

>Ahsoka
She's pretty strong.

Anyone got a webm of Grievous Vs Ahsoka round 2? The one where he grabs her by the face a chucks her to the ground.

GenndyGrievous actually talked quite a bit, just not in combat.

He could kill her easily. Remember when he grabbed her by the neck? If he wanted her dead, he'd just have to squeeze. Instead he spent like a minute lecturing her and then threw her.

It's like he knew he couldn't kill anyone important, because when he faces no-names like Jedi Knight Nahdar Vebb, Jedi Master Adi Gallia, Nightsisters, Mandalorians, and Clones, they go down about as easily as you'd expect against a master duelist with four arms who is also strong enough to toss cars around.

or maybe it's because grievous didn't see her as a threat and proceeded to toy with her in his typical sadistic ways as he did to past jedi.

Grievous did pretty well in "Bound for Rescue".

>successfully ambushes Obi Wan's fleet
>wipe sit out in the ensuing one-sided space battle, destroying four cruisers and two star destroyers for the loss of one frigate and a couple ships damaged
>storms Obi Wan's flagship with his boarding party
>cuts or bashes his way through the Clone Trooper marines on board
>takes on Obi Wan in a short lightsaber duel, hurts him with a powerful kick, and actually drives him back
>no-sells blaster bolts and having an explosive barrel thrown at him
>captures the ship and extracts vital info from it while Obi Wan is forced to retreat with what's left of his crew