Ralph Bakshi

Is Ralph Bakshi the Ed Wood of Sup Forums?

youtube.com/watch?v=j94WhqodTHg

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=wZpmZyTK2dI
youtube.com/watch?v=ZSDimgsFeGI
youtube.com/watch?v=nZH4ELRrN1g
m.youtube.com/watch?v=LfvhnUU5lKA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bakshi is amazing in style and animation while also paving the road to adult animation being a mainstream thing. Ed Wood is a total failure at everything and is just funny to laugh at so no they're not even comparable.

the mighty mouse doc about him is goat.

I love how triggered john is about his father that he has to put him in almost all of his works

Always wanted to get into him. Should I start with Fritz the Cat or Heavy Traffic?

No. At least one of Bakshi's films made a lot of money (Fritz the Cat) and at least some of his films have gained artistic respect from peers and critics (Heavy Traffic, American Pop)

It's true that all of his films are a jumbled mess, but that's his "style" for lack of a better term. He tells personal stories that are almost stream-of-consciousness.

The only outright bad movie from him I can think of was Cool World but a lot of that movie's problems came from studio interference trying to mutate it into a cash in on Roger Rabbit.

His Lord of the Rings was entertaining. Fire and Ice is good too.

Ed Wood's movies were bad because he didn't understand movies. The fact that they ended up entertaining was a happy accident. Ralph Bakshi's movies are bad on purpose. Ralph understands a lot of about movies and animation but chooses to make it cheap, sleazy and messy.

Is there a story behind how a low-key animator like him snagged the job of directing the animated adaptation of one of the greatest fantasy sagas of all time?

He had made Fritz the cat and he worked cheap. LotR wasn't seen as quite the cash cow it is now. Back before the Peter Jackson movies it was just a series of novels that was extremely popular with a very narrow demographic that happened to be extremely passionate about them.

>LotR wasn't seen as quite the cash cow it is now

They were a bunch of books popular among hippies and roleplayers, not part of the mainstream culture.

Try John Waters

m.youtube.com/watch?v=wZpmZyTK2dI

That was amazing

We didn't get a funny movie about Bakshi's life so no.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZSDimgsFeGI

I hate this movie so much. I don't know whyanyone would like it

i had a professor in film who worked with bakshi.

said he was a disgusting human being, he once took a spiteful shit in some actor/ director's trailer.

but i loved cool world

This was before cash cow adaptations. LotR was huge for what it was and riding the success of the Hobbit. I'm not going to say it broke mainstream because mainstream doesn't mean what it did, but it had a very broad appeal before there were hippies and roleplayers that rolled into that crowd after the initial reception wore off.

>there were hippies and roleplayers that rolled into that crowd after the initial reception wore off

They rode into it in the 70s-80s.

She’s fucking herself

Did someone order a giant story of Abraham Lincoln?

Dude made rotoscoping look difficult:

youtube.com/watch?v=nZH4ELRrN1g

wizards

He's still alive...

I'd love to see the scenes about his work with Johnny Kricfalusi eating 1000s of dollars worth of pizza with company money

No, that'd be Sam Singer.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=LfvhnUU5lKA

American Pop is of my favourite cartoons.

I think Hey Good Lookin' was another awful movie of Bakshi's. I think Bakshi is a poor writer in the first place, but HGL is cringe-worthy. Character motivations literally don't exist (we're rival gangs just because) and dialogue is cheep and awkward. The beginning of the movie has a woman snorting a leather jacket while crying while another character eggs her on in the least realistic way.
Infact, Bakshi movies are lucky if they have one memorable quote in them.

I liked Cool World

Your opinion is appreciated

Really glad I prefaced it with
>i think
Otherwise I'd have looked like a real asshole. I do enjoy Bakshi movies, but I think my standards for writing have gotten a lot higher since I first saw a Bakshi film.

Before the movies fantasy was not a well respected genre, it was seen as box office poison in fact, so a low-key animator working on some fantasy book adaptations was actually quite logical.

I honestly consider American Pop the best adult cartoon ever made